Spindle Wins

First I’d like to thanks Phoenix and The Mattress Underground for all of the guidance over the past few weeks.

Just a few weeks ago I was about to make a huge mistake by throwing away my hard earned money and purchasing a BeautyRest Black or Kingsdown mattress. As an uneducated mattress consumer I was convinced that the more the mattress cost, the best quality it had to be. Well fortunately for me my internet searching lead me here and you excellent people steered me in the right direction. A few short hours of reading through this site made me quickly realize the err of my ways and helped me learn the proper way to shop for a mattress. And on top of all of that, this site provided me with a list of reputable companies that sold a quality product at a great value.

Allow me to give a brief summary of my experiences with my quest for finding the right mattress in the Boston area.

Started out at Jordan’s. They have a lot of fancy, big-name brands at a premium price. Unfortunately they do not provide detailed specs on their mattresses (most of them) that will allow you to justify paying the asking prices. However, I really liked the Beautyrest Black ($3500) and Prana Sleep ($4600) mattresses.

Next stop was Macy’s Furniture store where we really liked a Hotel by Aireloom ($4100) mattress.

Since there were two Sleepy’s within one mile of my apartment we decided to give them a try. The sales people at Sleepy’s give used car salesmen a bad name. They were more concerned about selling me a mattress for as much money as they could get me to spend than they were about making sure I got the best value for my money. Again, they were unable/unwilling to provide me with the detailed specs of the mattresses.

At this point is when I discovered The Mattress Underground and my path diverged.

The first place I tried was Boston Bed Company. They were just ok. Had some ok bed, but their specs for their mattresses weren’t detailed enough to really assess true quality. They are a reseller of Therapedic beds, but do not sell all available Therapedic models.

Next we went to Spindle. Here is a link to my post about that visit:

Visit To Spindle

Next up was Gardner Mattress. This was place nice, but their mattresses were too firm for my liking.

And lastly we headed to Brockton to check out Mattress Maker of New England. This was actually a great little place tucked inside a somewhat questionable area. Not exactly the neighborhood I would visit during non-daylight hours. I met Dave and you could tell that mattresses were his business. He had a few mattresses that I liked, but as a mattress maker, he told me that he could make me a custom mattress to fit my exact needs. The only problem with that is you don’t know what you are getting until it is done. Although they had a very reasonable comfort exchange policy which somewhat mitigates the fear of ending up with a mattress you couldn’t try before you bought and hating it.

After visiting all of these places, I sat down and processed it all and it became clear to me that Spindle was my clear cut winner.

I headed back to see Neal yesterday with hopes of purchasing a mattress. After retrying the two configurations I liked during my first visit and few others, I had made up my mind. The mattress that best satisfied my PPP was an Abscond with the following configuration (top to bottom):

Soft (synthetic) topper
Medium (synthetic)
Firm (synthetic)
Firm (synthetic)

I actually really liked this bed without the topper. Even though I had it in my head that I “wanted” natural latex, it was clear that the synthetic bed was much more to my liking. And once I threw the topper on, it was exactly what I was looking for.

I’d also like to say a couple words about Neal. This guy is one heck of a dude. Not only is it blatantly obvious that he is extremely knowledgable about mattresses, but his patience is outstanding. The depth and quality of his explanations and response emails was beyond thorough. He clearly loves what he does and it shows in the way he approaches his clients and business model. And on top of it all, he is selling a very high quality product at an amazing value.

Spindle Mattress is a win win. If you are in the market for an all latex mattress, you cannot go wrong with Spindle.

Hi thecountofzero,

Thanks for taking the time to share the results of your research and experiences in such great detail! I appreciate it … and so will many others in the area who read your post.

I think you made a great choice based on good research and comparisons and as you know I agree with you about Neal’s knowledge, patience, and service.

I think that one of the most important parts of your feedback is that you didn’t allow your preconceptions to make your final choice for you and trusted your own personal experience and the knowledge and information you gained along the way.

Most importantly of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share an update once you’ve received it and been able to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I, too, just stumbled onto this great site and that is how I heard about Spindle (Neal) and Gardner mattresses in my area (Massachusetts). I really didn’t know much about latex mattresses but went to Spindle this week and met Neal. What a great guy. No pushy sales, very informative, honest. And when I mentioned that I was going to visit Gardner to check out their innerspring mattresses he complimented their spring mattresses.

Although I haven’t pulled the trigger (have to get hubby into the stores) Neal made up a very comfortable custom 4 layer mattress for me (M on top and then 3 Firm layers) of synthetic dunlop and a synthetic cover–yep he added a layer. I, too, thought I would want natural latex and the wool/natural top, but I went for the synthetic because it just felt better. (When does it ever happen that I like the cheaper configuration!). All together I think it priced out at $1260 for this King size custom configuration (the extra layer makes it 12" instead of 9" and he customizes the cover to accommodate all four layers) and then $380 for the foundation (total $1640). I can save 5% delivery charge if I pick it up, which I can do since the mattress comes “unassembled” and I live nearby. Spindle is also registered on this site, so I suppose it is an additional 5% which brings the total cost for a 4 layer synthetic King (without sales tax) to $1476.

The next day I visited Gardner in Woburn. They do have latex mattresses (a whole different system) but I didn’t like any of them as much as the Spindle one. But I went to look at coil mattresses and did like their 3" topped pocket coil the best. We are accustomed to sleeping on a coil mattress, so I don’t know yet what the adjustment might be. This priced out at $2299 (delivery is an extra $50). However, the salesman in the Woburn store was so off-putting that I know I will not buy the mattress from him. I mentioned to him that I had looked at Spindle and proceeded to bad mouth “those guys” with “those mail order latex mattresses” and how they weren’t quality, and they are after the fast buck and didn’t stick around long. When I asked him if he had been to Spindle or seen their product or spoken to anyone, he admitted he knew nothing about Spindle. THAT was the part that was the icky used car salesman approach that I wasn’t expecting from a Gardner salesman. I also asked about a discount and he said NO they were low margin already. When I mentioned that maybe that I would wait for a sale as I was finishing up (the total here was a bit more than I was hoping to pay) he said he could probably do 10%. Again, what is with the used car salesman technique?

So, I hope that my husband likes the latex from Spindle because I sure would like to give Neal my business as well as save on the overall cost while being really happy with a new mattress.

Hi SLBJUDSON,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and feedback. As you know I also think highly of Neal and his knowledge, experience, and service.

You experience at Gardner is unfortunate and based on feedback I have heard about them is not typical of their stores. They also make some high quality mattresses but the type of service you received from the salesperson you were dealing with certainly doesn’t do them any favors IMO.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your husband’s thoughts when he tests the Spindle mattress you liked and what you end up deciding but you are certainly leaning in a good direction :slight_smile:

Phoenix