St George Shores Mattress

Has anyone had any experience with St George Shores mattresses sold at Ashley Furniture? We were in a Ashley store today looking at ComforPedics and laid on one … and oh my goodness, it was the most comfortable mattress that we have encountered in our three weeks of looking. Any information is helpful. Thanks!

Hi LoveWarrior,

In case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones.

I would make sure you do some careful and objective testing for any mattress that you are seriously considering following the testing guidelines because the “showroom feel” of a mattress can be quite misleading and often doesn’t translate into your “real life” sleeping experience. I would also make sure you know the quality/density of all the layers in any mattress you are considering because a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it and lower quality materials will soften and break down much more quickly than higher quality materials and the premature loss of comfort and support that goes with softening or breakdown of lower quality materials isn’t covered by warranty even though you may no longer be able to sleep on the mattress (see post #174 here about mattress warranties).

I would tend to avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials … especially in the upper layers which are generally the first to soften and break down. The risk of a blind purchase … especially in a major brand like Simmons which tends to use lower quality materials … is quite high.

I would also avoid any memory foam mattress that uses memory foam less than about 4 lb density (Post #10 here has the memory foam guidelines that I would use). If you click the third image here you will see that the St Georges memory foam uses 4.5" of 3 lb memory foam which is a low quality material and would be a very risky choice in terms of durability no matter what the quality/density of the memory foam or the polyfoam underneath it.

Phoenix