Sterns & Foster Regrets?

Hi Phoenix,

I hope you can help me or direct me to sections within your site that will be beneficial to my concerns.

I bought a Sterns & Foster Palace Luxury Firm Euro pillow-top at Macy’sr July 4th weekend and love it thus far! Unfortunately, I didn’t take height into account and at a total of 35" high, it’s like climbing Mt. Everest every night (and in the middle of the night!).

As I was contemplating switching out my 9" box spring (which I discovered has no springs) for a 5", I also started exploring other mattresses. I ended up at Original Mattress Factory. The sales rep showed me the construction (true box spring, high gauge coils, cotton batting, foam, etc) vs a few common brands. I went back to Macy’s and still love the Sterns and Foster, but the reviews I’ve read have me concerned.

I have to admit, now I’m totally confused. Given that I want to stay under $2000 out the door:

1. Should I exchange the Euro top for the regular Luxury Firm? Is one more durable than the other? Both feel great for my hips/shoulders.
  2. Is flipping the mattress still necessary or is that old school?
    3)What do you think of Original Mattress Factory?
  3. At OMF, I like the Orthopedic Ultra Plush ($1014).
    I was surprised that I also like the memory foam, Serenity (high density polyurethane core with high density memory foam topper & an air flow foam layer).
  4. Memory foam vs innerspring - is one recommended over the other, or does it come down to personal preference? What about durability? If memory foam is superior, what do you recommend?
  5. Lastly, are there other stores I should consider in Central Ohio?

I need to make a decision by Labor Day weekend and what I thought would be an easy swap had become head spinning!

Thanks so much for your guidance!

Hi KarenJ168,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular store or business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Having said that … with or without any reviews you have good reason to be concerned. The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

I’m not sure if you are clear about the difference between a box spring and a foundation. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress (like the ones at OMF) and because they are an “active” part of the design of a sleeping system (mattress and box spring) they can have a significant effect on the comfort, support, and the durability of some two sided mattresses (particularly if the mattress has “linked” springs). On the other hand … there are very few one sided mattresses today that are designed to use a box spring as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty for a one sided mattress which generally do best with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

Your Stearns & Foster would have a rigid or semi flex foundation that would be suitable for a one sided mattress while as you mentioned OMF puts their mattresses on an actual box spring that has springs inside it.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Again … I would avoid any Stearns & Foster mattress regardless of the firmness level because the risk of purchasing a mattress that uses either lower quality and less durable materials or “unknown” materials would be much too high.

Most of the mattresses that are sold in the industry today are one sided and can’t be flipped (even if you wanted to) but there are still some two sided mattresses that are available including some of the mattresses sold at Original Mattress Factory. There is more about the pros and cons of one sided vs two sided mattresses in post #3 here.

I would be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

Having said that … Original Mattress Factory (OMF) in general sells some good quality/value mattresses relative to most of the mainstream industry so they can certainly be a good quality/value choice that would be well worth considering as a purchase as long as you confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of their specific mattresses that you are considering.

[quote]4) At OMF, I like the Orthopedic Ultra Plush ($1014).
I was surprised that I also like the memory foam, Serenity (high density polyurethane core with high density memory foam topper & an air flow foam layer).
5) Memory foam vs innerspring - is one recommended over the other, or does it come down to personal preference? What about durability? If memory foam is superior, what do you recommend?[/quote]

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the durability guidelines here relative to your weight range/BMI … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience on a range of different types of materials and mattresses…

I’m not sure where you are in Central Ohio but I’m assuming it would be around the Columbus, OH area?

If that’s the case then subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent about the materials and components in their mattresses (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Columbus, OH area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your very thorough response. The information/advice you provided and links to other posts was extremely helpful.

I still haven’t committed to returning my S&F mattress, as I love the comfort and sleep well, but the lack durability and sagging that I read so often about continues to needle at me - only something I may or may not discover in time. I rushed into my decision, given that bought during one of the many holiday sales (4th of July) and my parents have had their S&F for longer than I can remember! It is STILL in great shape. Talk about “back in the day” quality! Macy’s did not charge for delivery, but after the glow of my new purchase wore off, I looked a bit closer at my receipt and discovered a $193 “Sub Total Fees and Services” charge, so my $1598 mattress and foundation + $168 perfect protector cover (to validate the warrenty) + $25 bedding removal + $1 (?) + $193 fee mentioned above + $134.33 tax = $1925.33! I can pay a 15% return fee + $80 nonrefundable fee and still get one of the mattress/boxspring combinations for less money.

I read the page you linked to that had a number of store/manufacturer recommendations for Central Ohio consumers. It had never entered my mind that the Amish would make mattresses. I have a number of pieced of Amish furniture and I must say, the quality is second to none! Last evening, I went to Amish Originals in Westerville (basically down the street from me) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they carry Country Bedding. Granted, there is a bit of a markup, but they are a wonderful store and saved me a 2 hr round trip journey… Melanie was very knowledgeable and extremely patient as I laid on each bed more than 4 times. I left the store and realized I had a question or two, so the fact that they also have a phone is very helpful. CB would mean a special trip to look at the mattresses, another trip if one is unsure, and a final/3rd trip to pick up the order. At Amish Originals delivery within a 20 mile radius is only $59.

The quality of Country Bedding is amazing. AO had samples of all the materials they use and provided me with specs (gauge coils, types of foam, etc.) on each mattress that interested me. All materials are top of the line and the finishing is beautiful. I preferred the comfort of one mattress, but wanted to like another because it was BEAUTIFUL (they used grey suede on the sides)! That particular mattress can even be purchased with two different comfort levels to satisfy both partners. Pretty nice!

I’m now considering Country Bedding from Amish Originals, Monarch Rest also Amish built) and Saatva. I like the thought that CB and MR only make flippable mattresses, but the Saatva seems to always receive great reviews. Though they are said to have an excellent return policy, my concern with Saatva is that 1) they are a young company and 2) I can’t test or see the mattress before purchasing. Decisions! Decisions!

Thanks again for the excellent guidance!

~Karen

Hi KarenJ168,

It would be very risky to keep it because there is little “value” in a mattress where you only sleep well on it for 3 - 5 years (which is common) before foam softening and the loss of comfort and support that goes with it leads to the need to replace it because you are no longer sleeping well on the mattress. I would also keep in mind that the more rapid foam softening that you can expect with lower quality/density materials isn’t covered by mattress warranties which only covers manufacturing defects and visible impressions in the mattress that are deeper than the warranty exclusions (when nobody is on the mattress).

There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here and as you can see the length of a warranty has little to do with the durability and useful life of a mattress and how long it will be before you need to replace it.

[quote]I read the page you linked to that had a number of store/manufacturer recommendations for Central Ohio consumers. It had never entered my mind that the Amish would make mattresses. I have a number of pieced of Amish furniture and I must say, the quality is second to none! Last evening, I went to Amish Originals in Westerville (basically down the street from me) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they carry Country Bedding. Granted, there is a bit of a markup, but they are a wonderful store and saved me a 2 hr round trip journey… Melanie was very knowledgeable and extremely patient as I laid on each bed more than 4 times. I left the store and realized I had a question or two, so the fact that they also have a phone is very helpful. CB would mean a special trip to look at the mattresses, another trip if one is unsure, and a final/3rd trip to pick up the order. At Amish Originals delivery within a 20 mile radius is only $59.

The quality of Country Bedding is amazing. AO had samples of all the materials they use and provided me with specs (gauge coils, types of foam, etc.) on each mattress that interested me. All materials are top of the line and the finishing is beautiful. I preferred the comfort of one mattress, but wanted to like another because it was BEAUTIFUL (they used grey suede on the sides)! That particular mattress can even be purchased with two different comfort levels to satisfy both partners. Pretty nice![/quote]

Thanks for the heads up … and I’ve added Amish Originals to the Columbus list.

Country Bedding and Monarch Rest (made by Rainbow Bedding) would certainly be well worth considering but I would be very cautious about Saatva.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Saatva in particular “manages” their reviews very aggressively and they will often “encourage” (putting it nicely) or “pressure” their customers to remove or edit any negative reviews in exchange for some kind of benefit. Some examples of this along with some replies from other forum members who “called them out” that saw some of the original comments before they were edited or changed and noticed the changes are in this long topic about Saatva.

There is also more information about Saatva and many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here and the first post in the same topic would be worth reading as well. A forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

While Saatva would be a better quality/value choice compared to many of the mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers (which are a low bar to use for a comparison and which I would avoid completely) … some of the materials they are using are also lower quality and less durable than the durability guidelines or that I would be comfortable with and for most people they wouldn’t be in the same “quality/value” range as many of the other options that use higher quality and more durable materials and foam layers that most of the members here would know about as a result of the information on this site. I would be especially cautious about making a Saatva purchase based on their reviews or based on some of “marketing exaggerations” on their site.

Once again … I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information in this article about any mattress you are considering so that you can compare the materials and components inside the mattress to the durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress and lead to buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

Phoenix