Still trying to pick a latex mattress.....

Hi Phoenix and members,

I still have not decided after 6 months of research.

My main concerns are off gassing - and I would like to have a latex (or mostly latex) mattress. Here is where I stand:

1)I was going to get the Sleep EZ ROMA. Really liked that (nice price and good quality materials). But I need a King and they donā€™t offer that size so that is out. Bummer. :frowning:

1. I also looked at their Sleep Select 9 inch - and am still very much considering this but it is more expensive. I also read online that someone wondered if they sent used returned latex layers as ā€œnewā€ layers (apparently that was their experience). That freaked me out as I only want something new and fresh especially when paying $1500+ dollars! I hope they are not doing that! I also read some people commenting that the layers do shift even though SleepEZ says they should not.

2. BME is an option but I have heard more about off gassing from them and seems many people find their customer service to not be great and the bed is too short and narrow (quality control issues).

3. I just recently saw IKEA has two latex/foam combos that look like mostly latex and also are very reasonably priced. The Myrabacka Latex and the Matrand Latex - have you heard any feedback on if those are decent quality and off gassing issues? Do you know if they use synthetic chemical sprays for flame retardants or just use rayon quilted in? I believe they use Mountain Top Foam for their latex and I know that is reputable.

So that is where Iā€™m at - still searching and not sure what to do. Really wished the ROMA was an option. Wondering if IKEA could be a good entry latex option that doesnā€™t off gasā€¦

Thanks!!!

Hi eeks,

Iā€™m not sure where you read this but itā€™s certainly not accurate and SleepEZ doesnā€™t sell used or returned layers in their new mattresses and never has. Good manufacturers donā€™t re-use their layers in new mattresses and would use other ways to deal with exchanges which can range from disposal, donation, selling them to other manufacturers who sell ā€œsecondsā€, or through liquidation outlets. No reliable manufacturer would risk a reputation that has been built up over the course of many years by selling used layers as new. I would be very careful what you believe and just because itā€™s ā€œon the internetā€ somewhere certainly doesnā€™t mean that it has any truth.

Latex is very ā€œstickyā€ and doesnā€™t tend to shift inside a mattress with a suitable tight fitting cover so there would be little risk of layers shifting but if for some reason they do then with a zip cover itā€™s a simple matter to unzip the cover and ā€œwaveā€ them back into position again. There is more about the pros and cons of a finished mattress with glued layers and a component mattress with a zip cover and loose layers in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

The only reliable way to to assess the ā€œsafetyā€ of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification (see post #2 here for more information about some of the more reliable ā€œsafetyā€ certifications). If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable ā€œsafetyā€ certification then for most people they would certainly be ā€œsafe enoughā€ ā€¦ regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.

I would also keep in mind that every mattress in the industry contains some type of ā€œchemicalsā€ and that even pure water is a chemical. The real issue that I would focus on is safety which depends on the specific chemicals and the amount of each chemical (safety is dosage related) and the only way to identify any safety issues would be based on the lab testing and certifications for the materials and components in the mattress or the mattress as whole.

The polyfoam in the BME is CertiPUR-US certified and all the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold so based on actual testing I would consider their mattress to be ā€œsafe enoughā€. Any initial odor (which is normal for most foam materials including latex) would dissipate relatively quickly. While the smell of a material isnā€™t related to safety ā€¦ they also have a 120 day trial and refund policy so you can decide for yourself whether any initial odor is acceptable to you without any risk.

Like most of the members of this site ā€¦ BME has some of the best customer service in the industry so Iā€™m not sure where your comments here are coming from.

BB did have some issues with a small number of their mattresses not expanding back to their full size quite some time ago but that was related to the gluing and compression process itself and only applied to a very small percentage of their mattress that were made over a short period of time (usually in king size). It has long since been resolved and the few customers that received one would have been able to exchange their mattress for a new one.

The choice between different types and blends of latex is also more of a preference and budget choice rather than a ā€œbetter/worseā€ choice and any type or blend of latex is a durable material relative to other types of foam materials. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about how Dunlop compares to Talalay in general in post #7 here but the best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing and/or your own personal experience.

I have seen a few complaints about the smell of some of the Ikea mattresses but itā€™s unclear if the smell is coming from the latex or the wool in their mattresses (see post #2 here).

There are some comments about the fire retardant methods that Ikea uses in their various mattresses in post #2 here but I donā€™t know if this is still current so you would need to contact them to find out if there is any more recent information and ask about the details in the specific mattresses you are interested in.

While it may be more information than you are looking for ā€¦ there is a lot more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, ā€œchemical freeā€, and ā€œgreenā€ mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer ā€œhow safe is safe enough for meā€ and that can help you decide on the type of materials and components you are most comfortable having in your mattress or on the certifications that may be important to you. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

I canā€™t speak to whether any mattress will be a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP (which is the most important part of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved to be able to predict this for any specific person ā€¦ you can see some comments about the quality and durability of the materials in the Myrbacka and in the Matrand in post #2 here and in post #2 here. Forum searches on Myrbacka and on Matrand (you can just click the links) will bring up more comments and feedback about both of them as well. Neither one of them have any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern in terms of the durability or useful life of the mattress although I would give the advantage in terms of durability to the Myrbacka.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Wow, once again great feedback and my sincerest thanks! I will go and read through each link you posted.

I only saw one complaint on SleepEz about the returned layer thing and I was doubting it since they seem very reputable and have been extremely helpful and transparent in my phone calls with them. So that is good to know! Perhaps that person got latex that had imperfections and thought it was returned?? Not sure but it made me worried for a second!

A few people had mentioned their layers shifted a decent amount to be annoying with Sleep EZ in the component mattress so I was thinking about maybe doing a full king layer on each instead of split. They said the layers shouldnā€™t move but if I was more comfortable with a full king layer they would have their supplier ship that t me. So I may lean towards that.

Regarding BME - ok good. I was hoping that was an old issue so sounds like the mattresses are fine now and expand to their normal shape just perfect!

I will read up on more of the IKEA ones - they wouldnā€™t be my first choice but when I saw them I thought, hmm, this is worth a look since its mostly latex and the price point is very reasonable. I will also go to the store see if I can find more about their flame retardants.

I also looked at Spindle, really liked them but am trying not to have wool in it if possible and they only offer wool covers.

My search continues! I hope to narrow it down soon. If you think of any other mattress makers that I am missing that I should check out - please I am all ears and open to any suggestions I may be missing!

PS - does latex have to be on a wood foundation or can it be on a box spring? What about a latex/foam hybrid?

Thank you!

Hi eeks,

Thatā€™s certainly possible because new latex layers can have discolorations or imperfections that are completely normal.

If you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d certainly be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

If you are considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

A latex hybrid mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet unless the manufacturer specifically recommends even less than that to satisfy their warranty criteria.

If you purchase a mattress that is all latex (with a latex base layer) then I would make sure that the distance between any slats is no more than 3" (and once again less would be better yet).

A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. Most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

While there are a few thinner all latex mattresses (generally two sided and about 6" or less) where the manufacturer may specifically recommend a box spring or a flexible slat support system to provide some additional ā€œcomfortā€ and more contouring ā€œdeep supportā€ in the mattress ā€¦ unless they are specifically required or recommended by the manufacturer I would limit your choices to a support system that has little to no flex under the mattress.

Phoenix

I have been mattress shopping for about a week and just learned about this site yesterday. With what I have learned Iā€™m now looking exclusively at queen size latex mattresses. I didnā€™t even know such mattresses existed until a few days ago, and didnā€™t seriously consider them until reading about them here.

Iā€™ve narrowed the choices down to a few that are in my budget. What I am seeking guidance about is the thickness of the mattresses Iā€™m considering. I fall asleep on my side or back and usually alternate through the night. I prefer a soft/medium mattress. Iā€™m 5ā€™9" and weigh 140 pounds and sleep alone. I donā€™t particularly care for the sinking/trapping qualities of memory foam, and like that latex is reportedly responsive in some ways like an inner spring.

I have come to understand that mattress thickness can be misleading given materials used for filler or structural components that donā€™t necessarily add to comfort. However, the mattresses Iā€™m looking at are 6" or 7" of latex, which seems very thin. I know that this is a somewhat subjective question, but are mattresses that thin durable enough for everyday use for a slender person who is a side sleeper?

If anyone can help differentiate between the following three I would really appreciate it.

S-Bed Brentwood Home - This was my initial choice. The memory foam and ventilation layer were appealing, but at this point I donā€™t value those as much and think the latex by itself is sufficient/superior.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: brentwoodhome.com/collections/classic/products/s-bed?variant=5128647619

Roma Natural Latex Flippable 9" - I like the option of being able to flip the mattress for an alternative firmness level. But I donā€™t know how useful that will actually be. Also, if some mattresses are all latex through and through, are they not all flippable?

Queen Select Sleep 7" with Soft blended talalay top layer and Medium Dunlop bottom layer - I like this the most in theory because it is all latex without other foams, and also like the 1" wool cover (on one side only, it seems?). My only reservation is that this seems like a stripped down Roma, which has 6 inches of latex plus 3" (counting both sides) of foam, yet is more expensive than the Roma.

I would also consider the Select Sleep 9" if folks think the additional 2 inches would be worth the extra money. The fact that the company sells a 13" mattress of the same materials also finds me doubting the sufficiency of a 6" mattress. Is the 13" for sleepers considerably heavier than myself? If the compression modulus of latex beds is that advantageous, is there a diminishing return with thickness?

Hi Clint,

I switched your post into a new topic of its own so your comments and questions wouldnā€™t get mixed in with another memberā€™s topic that has different questions from your own.

[quote]Iā€™ve narrowed the choices down to a few that are in my budget. What I am seeking guidance about is the thickness of the mattresses Iā€™m considering. I fall asleep on my side or back and usually alternate through the night. I prefer a soft/medium mattress. Iā€™m 5ā€™9" and weigh 140 pounds and sleep alone. I donā€™t particularly care for the sinking/trapping qualities of memory foam, and like that latex is reportedly responsive in some ways like an inner spring.

I have come to understand that mattress thickness can be misleading given materials used for filler or structural components that donā€™t necessarily add to comfort. However, the mattresses Iā€™m looking at are 6" or 7" of latex, which seems very thin. I know that this is a somewhat subjective question, but are mattresses that thin durable enough for everyday use for a slender person who is a side sleeper?[/quote]

The thickness of a mattress or the number of layers or the thickness of any individual layers inside it is really just a side effect of the design and the design goals of a mattress and is also only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress relative to any particular person and by itself isnā€™t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges (or a higher BMI) will sometimes do better with a mattress that is thicker than lower weight ranges or a lower BMI (see post #14 here for more about the effect of thickness) but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well your testing or personal experience indicates the mattress ā€œas a wholeā€ matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) than it does on just the thickness itself.

While I can certainly help with ā€œhowā€ to choose ā€¦ Itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™ve read since you found the site but just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will ā€œfeelā€ for someone else or whether it will be a good ā€œmatchā€ in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress ā€¦ outside of PPP (which is the most important part of ā€œvalueā€), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you canā€™t see or ā€œfeelā€ and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. I would certainly avoid any mattress that doesnā€™t meet the quality/durability guidelines relative to your weight range.

When you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (and who wonā€™t just sell you anything they can convince you to buy) and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

They donā€™t list the density of the memory foam and polyfoam layers so you would need to confirm that they meet the durability guidelines I linked earlier in this reply. If for any reason a retailer or manufacturer is either unwilling or unable to provide you with the information you need you need to identify any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress I would pass the mattress by.

As you probably know SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

The Roma mattress contains 6" of latex and a cotton stretch knit cover that is quilted with 1.5" of polyfoam on each side of the mattress. There are no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress relative to any weight range.

The advantage of having a two sided mattress with a different firmness level on each side is that you have two different firmness levels in the same mattress which can increase the odds that one of the two sides of the mattress will be a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP. You can also flip the mattress over and sleep on the other side if your needs and preferences change over time (either from injury, a change in weight, a change in preferences, or any other reason) and the other sleeping surface would be a better ā€œmatchā€ for you either temporarily on a more permanent basis

This mattress contains two 3" layers of latex with your choice of either blended Talalay or Dunlop and your choice of firmness level in each of the layers. It also includes a wool quilted cotton cover and wool is among the most effective temperature regulating materials in the industry (in both directions) and can help keep you in a more neutral temperature range. There are also no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of this mattress either.

This mattress would also allow you to rearrange the layers so you would have a softer or firmer sleeping surface similar to the Roma and it also has the advantage of being able to exchange an individual layer if you need to fine tune the comfort or support of the mattress and you can also replace a single layer if one of the layers softens or breaks down sooner than the other over time (which is likely) without having to replace the entire mattress. There is also more about the pros and cons of a component mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

Phoenix

Ok awesome! Thank you for all that help.

I have been spending more time today researching - have a question that has come up about Dunlop latex.

I am hearing from some people that since Dunlop is a more ā€˜naturalā€™ product than Talalay, it can have many imperfections, things that look like stains, can be yellow and not the creamy white of Talalay. Sometimes people think it was a returned layer but its just how Dunlop is.

Others have said that is quote ā€œBSā€ and that Dunlop can have some imperfections and sometimes be more yellow than cream in color there shouldnā€™t be staining etc.

What is true???

Also, we are getting a King mattress and I would prefer not to get a split layer bed (ie 6 layers, 3 on each side). I would prefer to get just 3 King size layers. I was told I am able to do this as Dunlop can come in a full king layer but that it is the continuous pour method. Do you know if there is any difference in texture, firmness, feel, look, smell etc of regular molded Dunlop vs Continuous Pour Dunlop from Latex Green? I only have samples of molded Dunlop so not sure what I would be getting with the Continuous Pour.

Thank you!

Hi eeks,

Dunlop isnā€™t necessarily any more natural than Talalay. Both Dunlop and Talalay are available in different blends that use different combinations of natural and synthetic latex. Both of them are available in 100% natural versions (see post #18 here) although itā€™s more common to see 100% natural Dunlop than 100% natural Talalay.

post #2 hereBoth of them can come in a range of different colors which can vary like any natural material ā€¦ there is also more about some of the differences in color between Talalay and Dunlop in .

While Talalay tends to be more consistent than Dunlop both in terms of color and imperfections ā€¦ there can be discolorations or imperfections that can vary from batch to batch in either of them ā€¦ particularly with natural latex.

Different manufacturers use different mold sizes for their molded latex (either Dunlop or Talalay) but all Talalay is made in either twin XL or queen molds so other sizes (such as king) would be two pieces glued together or in the case of California King three pieces glued together. The glue that is used is an elastic latex based glue that is very strong and durable and for most people is undetectable (see post #2 here).

Molded Dunlop on the other hand often is often made in larger mold sizes (such as king) and the layers wonā€™t have a glue seam although this can also depend on the specific manufacturer. Continuous pour Dunlop also is made on a belt in larger sizes and also wouldnā€™t have a glue seam although both of these will usually have a glue seam at one end in California King sizes.

Outside of any glue seams ā€¦ both types of latex are generally available in either split layers or solid layers for either queen or king sizes. There is more about the pros and cons of side by side split layer designs in post #2 here

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about some of the general differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

Continuous pour Dunlop will have a feel and consistency that is somewhat in between the two but will generally be closer to the feel and consistency of Dunlop than Talalay.

When you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thanks for helping to illustrate what the component latex mattress would be like. I didnā€™t realize the cover was removable, and was thinking it was stitched or affixed to the latex in some other way, and was wondering how long the wool could be expected to last or stay in place, but now that I see its within a removable cover that isnā€™t so important.

At this point Iā€™m trying to decide between the Sleep EZ select sleep 7 and the select sleep 9. I wish that the 8 inch wasnā€™t available only with the memory foam, as it would have been an acceptable compromise.

Hi Clint,

Iā€™m not sure which 8" mattress with memory foam you are referring to but you are certainly looking at some good quality/value choices although of course I would talk with them on the phone so they can provide you with some guidance about which of their mattresses would have the best chance of success.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

FYI - Sleep EZ does offer a 8inch all latex special. It comes with a cotton stretch cover and is on their specials page.

My mistake. 6 inch latex, is what I meant, as in the Roma. Iā€™ll have to look at their website again later on today.

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for that great info on the latex - I am getting to be an expert over here! :slight_smile:

Two final questions for this thread (I hope!):

1. I am planning to buy a SleepEZ ROMA for another room in my house - do you know if it makes any difference whether you order it direct or through Amazon? Are the return policies the same?

2. Can you use an IKEA bed with something like the Roma (bed with just slats) or do I def still need a wood foundation?

Again, thank you for the wealth of info!

Hi eeks,

Iā€™m not sure if there is any difference in their return policies if you purchase from Amazon or from their own site (Iā€™ve never asked them) but they should be able to tell you if you ask them.

An all latex hybrid mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be a solid surface, slats, or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If the support system under the mattress has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet or unless the manufacturer specifically recommends less than that to satisfy their warranty criteria.

If an Ikea bed and slat system meets these criteria then it should be fine.

Phoenix

Iā€™ve narrowed it down to either the 9 inch of 10 Inch select mattress from Sleep EZ. Iā€™d get the organic 9 inch 100% Talalay or the 10 Inch Natural. Iā€™m trying to decide if it would be a better value to get the extra inch of comfort layer with the blended formulation or the thinner comfort layer but all Talalay . Both would be soft/medium/firm as Iā€™m a side to back sleeper with wide shoulders and a thin build. My hips hurt if the mattress is too firm.

I am considering calling Sleep EZ to discuss. Iā€™ve never laid on any kind of latex mattress even once. .

Hi Clint,

I think that a phone call to discuss the different options they have available can be one of the most important parts of making a choice that has the best odds of success.

As I mentioned in my first reply in your topic ā€¦

If you have never tried latex it would also make sense to do some local testing on latex mattresses if there are any available in your area to give you a reference point and to make sure you like the feel of latex as well. If you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks! You sure are helpful. I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (15226).

Hi Clint,

The list for the Pittsburgh area is in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Iā€™m curious why you decided on the 9 or 10 inch versus 6 or 7 inch. We are looking at Sleep EZ mattresses also. Did you conclude it would be better support for your weight and sleep style?

In the end it turned out to be a choice between the 7 inch and 10 Inch. The 2 inch comfort layer seemed inadequate for a comfortable sleep. However there arenā€™t any comparable mattresses in my area for me to actually test that. I also liked the wool cover, which the 8 inch lacked. The price difference between the 9" and 10" was marginal enough that it was worth the extra money for the extra inch of comfort layer.

I ordered the 10 Inch yesterday. It was recommended by store staff. Once it arrives Iā€™ll try it using only the top and middle layers, which should be the same as the 7 inch feel. If itā€™s adequate, then I will probably exchange/return for the 7. The price difference is too great for me to keep the 10" when the 7" would suffice. It will depend how essential anyone of of the support layers is. Iā€™ll post once Iā€™ve tried the combinations. 7 inches seems really thin and Iā€™m prepared to stick with the 10", but Iā€™ll see. I got soft/medium/firm.

I also purchased a slatted low-rise foundation.