Struggling - Latex or Memory Foam Hybrid?

I am looking at three options (online only as I can’t find anything comparable in person). I am trying to pick one of these options to do a trial on and am struggling.

I am small - 5’3", @ 118lbs, side sleeper with arthritis, spinal issues and low back pain. Because I am slight, most mattresses feel way too firm for me. Hubby is 5’11", 162 lbs, side sleeper and not too fussy.

These are all hybrids, which I’ve decided is what I want. They are all PlushBeds.

1. 14" Mattress (Signature Bliss)
    1" GOTS certified cotton/wool pillow top
    3" Dunlop Comfort Zone - GOLS Certified
    1" Linen Gusset
    9" 5-Zone Full Perimeter Quad Fabric Encased Coils

2. 12" Mattress (Luxury Bliss)
    1" Cover - GOTS Certified Cotton/Wool
    3" “Organic Latex Layer” - questionable what this is as one part of the sales page says GOLS certified latex, and another part says Talalay which I don’t believe can be GOLS certified can it?
    8" 5-Zon Full Perimeter Quad Fabric Encase Coils

3. 12" Mattress - Arctic Bliss
    1" Organic Cotton Pillowtop (no mention of wool, which I know is used in the other two as a natural fire retardant).
    3" of Patented GreenGuard Gold Certified Cool Gel Memory Foam
    9" of Fabric Encased Coils

The sales page is a little sketchy on the last option, so I will be calling tomorrow to talk with them.

I’ve read that pillow tops offer more pressure relief. I don’t know if that’s true.

I’ve been reading for 3 days now, looked at probably 50 options online. What I am reading is this:

1. Talalay Latex is softer than Dunlop so is better for light side sleepers.
  2. Memory Foam is better for pressure point relief and light side sleepers than latex
  3. The firmness of all of these is listed as “5”. I have read that might be too firm for a light side sleeper (I know comfort is subjective but I am trying to narrow this down). Both the 1st and 2nd option (according to the sales page) allow a swap of the comfort layer to a softer firmness, which is a big plus. It’s also a big plus that I could replace the comfort layer if it degraded, which I couldn’t do with option #3.
  4. If the first option is indeed Dunlop, it seems that option #2 and option #3 would be the best fit, but I can’t decide which one to try. Yes, I know I can return them, but I’d rather try to choose well first.
  5. Do I need to know the ILD of the latex and the density of the memory foam? Do I need to know the gauge of the coils and the number of coils?

Because I am now sleeping on a 3" “Soft” Sleep on Latex topper over an innerspring mattress and it’s just OK, but not ask cushy or cradling as I would like, I wonder if the latex hybrid will be any different. I have a slight muscular injury to my right hip and I can’t sleep on that side because the bed, although feels “cushiony” it doesn’t feel soft enough if that makes sense. The latex topper provides cushion, but not really any sink.

I’m going to try and see what my mattress is this weekend to maybe give me some clues, but it’s a project since it’s encased in a mattress pad.

Everyone it seems says to avoid memory foam, but is the fact that this memory foam GreenGuard Gold Certified somehow less toxic? They also say (and the reviews support this) that this is patented gel memory foam that sleeps cool and doesn’t have that quicksand feeling, which I don’t like either.

I’m open to other suggestions, and I know PlushBeds is a little pricey, but I like their materials, Iike that the beds are USA made, all the certifications - GOLS, GOTS, GreenGuard Gold, CertiPur-US and Eco Institut. I also love that you can swap out the comfort layer on the Luxury Bliss and Signature Bliss, and that off-gassing is pretty much non-existant. And I like the white glove service, since I’m not strong enough to help my husband with setting the bed up. And I like that even though the choice of beds is Med/Med-Firm you can call and request a softer bed than that (except for the Arctic Bliss memory foam) be shipped.

I’m well aware of the forum that mentioned all the spammy affiliate links, but for me the product is what’s important, and these three are potential good matches that I haven’t found elsewhere. Their email response is abysmal but I have heard (and will find out today) that their phone support is good. They have an A BBB rating which gives me some comfort.

Can anyone help? Thanks. I’ve already learned a TON!

1 Like

Hi Debbie,

I know you have presented 3 options by plushbeds. Both on this site and the reddit r/mattress there have been red flags with plushbeds. You are experiencing them yourself.

I would encourage you to work with one of the trusted members here. You have several options. @EXP-MyGreen-Mattress, @Arizona_Premium, @Sleep_EZ, @CozyPure, @Latex_Mattress_Fact1, and @TheCleanBedroom just to name a few.

I know quality of materials are important, certifications are important (to some for a variety of reasons, some health related, some personal). Most of the trusted members can make you just about anything you want, if you are willing to work with them and allow them to offer their more personalized service and professional advice.

All the questions you ask are valid questions and present valid concerns

Talalay Latex is softer than Dunlop so is better for light side sleepers.
Memory Foam is better for pressure point relief and light side sleepers than latex
The firmness of all of these is listed as “5”. I have read that might be too firm for a light side sleeper (I know comfort is subjective but I am trying to narrow this down). Both the 1st and 2nd option (according to the sales page) allow a swap of the comfort layer to a softer firmness, which is a big plus. It’s also a big plus that I could replace the comfort layer if it degraded, which I couldn’t do with option #3.
If the first option is indeed Dunlop, it seems that option #2 and option #3 would be the best fit, but I can’t decide which one to try. Yes, I know I can return them, but I’d rather try to choose well first.
Do I need to know the ILD of the latex and the density of the memory foam? Do I need to know the gauge of the coils and the number of coils?

I am sorry PB is not providing the responses and service you SHOULD expect. I am not one to put my hand in someone’s pocket and tell them how to spend their money either. When someone doesn’t respond to my questions and requests for information, I give them my 3 times rule. If on the 3rd time I do not get the results I expect, I move on. I don’t care how good their product might be, how wonderful the reviews are, all those accolades were those attributed to others and not my concerns.

Some certifications are simply repetitive certifications and do not supersede or make a product extra special organic or healthier.

If this is the type of service PB is offering now, what is going to happen if I were to suggest option 2, or 3, or 1 and it didn’t work? Can you imagine their response and wait time?

My advice is when you find a combination that you think might work for you, straight up ask one of our Trusted Members if they can simply make something similar or dam near exact. Just because you do not see something on a TM’s website does not mean they cannot produce it for you. You just need to @xyz them.

I know this can be frustrating, but the TM’s here are truly experts with their materials and get it right when collaborating with their clients over 90% of the time.

Best of luck,

Maverick

1 Like