Talalay king topper advice for too firm Dunlop bed?

I have a new sleep on latex soft king and topper. It remains too firm. Both are Dunlop only.

Any advice for an affordable soft talalay topper?
295# female side sleeper. Currently my hips have pain middle of night. What might give relief?

I return to my old queen now used by my
little kids. It is 3 layers of Dunlop topped by a layer of “soft” talalay from Flexus Comfort. I don’t know the ILD and we’ve had it 6 years

I could get 2 inches more talalay perhaps, and to save “skip” its separate cover. The SOL topper is in a case. This added topper one idea is cover it with my cotton mattress protector but not spring $200 for cover. That said, is that hygienic to clean?

Hi buriedunderkids,

Sorry to hear your new sleep on latex soft king and topper are not working out the way you anticipated.

It is hard to decipher exactly what the root cause of the issue you are experiencing with a “soft” dunlop latex that is causing hip pain throughout your sleep session each night.

While one might expect dunlop to have a higher “support factor” and a higher ILD at 65% compression, which in fact might be an issue here. SoL (toppers) ILD increases from a 20ish ILD at 25% to a firm 46ish ILD at 65% compression.

I invite our dunlop and talalay experts @Sleep_EZ & @Arizona_Premium to weigh in on this with their advice on the situation as well, as I welcome any contrast and criticism they might offer.

One issue that often is a factor, at least with SoL is their mattresses are preconstructed with only two firmness levels, Medium and Firm. Their toppers/DIY layers are available in Soft, Medium and Firm. I am not quite certain about your first statement:

Did you DIY with SoL topper layers to create this? If not, did SoL custom design that “soft king” mattress for you? Perhaps you actually have a “Medium” mattress, which then would have a different ILD at 25 and 65% compression (34ish and 76ish) which is a 70% increase in firmness.

This may not answer your specific question about what might give you relief, it may be the cause of the problem.

It may be possible to simply add a talalay topper to your current set up and perhaps it may solve the problem. One contradiction to this is you may be creating a more expensive mattress system than necessary. I will take it on you statement about not springing for a $200 cotton mattress protector, might indicate the need to be more conservative with the budget.

A direct answer to your affordable soft talalay topper might me this at mattresstopper.com this price includes an organic cotton topper cover.

Digressing back to the subject at hand.

If you are still within the return/trial period with SoL, their return policy.

Trusted Members at TMU often provide valuable insights and expertise in mattress construction, helping customers customize their sleep solutions to achieve optimal comfort and support. By collaborating with a Trusted Member, they can help you to create a DIY mattress setup tailored to your specific requirements. They can offer personalized recommendations based on factors such as body weight, sleeping position, and specific preferences. Be sure to communicate your preferences and concerns clearly in addition to your original concerns stated to receive the most relevant advice and guidance.

I prefer not to dismiss a new mattress based solely on its initial “feel.” This is because most foam mattresses, whether natural or synthetic, typically require some time for adjustment. Firstly, your body needs time to adapt to the change in firmness from what you’re accustomed to. Secondly, the foams themselves need time to settle and soften. While natural latex may not undergo as much break-in as synthetic foam, there will still be a softening period to consider.

Regarding your concern about hygiene and cleaning, covering the topper with your cotton mattress protector is a good idea to protect it from stains and dirt. Most mattress protectors are machine washable, so you can easily clean them as needed to maintain hygiene. Just make sure to follow the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. If you’re unsure about whether it’s hygienic enough, consider investing in a separate cover specifically designed for mattress toppers for added peace of mind.

Hopefully, this helpful, as comfort is a very personal experience and sometimes require some trial and error. Fortunately, our TM experts are extremely successful more than 90% of the time when carefully collaborating with sleepers and their preference requirements.

All the best,

Maverick

@Sleep_EZ
@Arizona_Premium
@TheCleanBedroom

Hello buried under kids,
Sorry that you are having hip pain.
I wanted to respond to your question above. Typically this is what we tell our customers - to put the mattress protector and fitted sheet over the topper, which protects it and holds it in place. However, the toppers we sell are usually encased in some form, so if your topper is simply a loose layer of latex, that may not apply and you may want more protection.
Best of luck,
Katie

1 Like

We certainly specialize in Talalay latex and have both 2" and 3" available in multiple ILD’s. Typically soft would be a #19 but at 295# I don’t think it would provide enough support and you would go right through. I don’t know what Flexus used for their Soft. My suggestion would be to go with #28.

1 Like

Thank you experts.

Yes,

It’s a Sleep on Latex Medium 2 twin XL’s

And the topper is their soft king.

I appreciate this advice on ILDs (need and what I have), how talalay and Dunlop of similar ILD might solve the problem differently. Your solutions help. Welcome more advice.

2 Likes

Hi Ken, Katie, Maverick,

Advise again? Seeking to purchase your recommended solutions and figure out the right ILD, thickness, material and affordability. Your info on compression helps.

195 F side sleeper, hourglass.

1. how might a 3 inch Talalay vs 20 ILD Dunlop topper of similar ILD provide different support for this hip pain? Ken thought perhaps 28 ILD in 3 inch. Without expertise myself I wondered about a softer option stacked.

2. how does the APM option for blended talalay feel vs natural talalay? Second, if I had to use sans cover to start, is the natural talalay under protector and fitted sheet not durable enough from chipping or tears?

Looks like I have a sleep on latex medium king plus their 3 inch king soft topper, which is a Dunlop I think 20 ILD encased in a cover. All they can offer is another topper that is same at nearly retail.

Use case has organic mattress protector and cotton sheets.

Is there a way to figure out how it might feel without a cover for hip pain versus with?

The challenge may be the medium firmness of the sleep on latex mattress, and I’m compressing down to feel it. I keep switching at 3 am to a queen that has a medium talalay top layer at 19 ILD over a medium Dunlop layer from flexus inside the mattress cover. Usually a little kid wakes to switch beds too.

It’s perhaps 8 years old so hard for me to understand what is softness/comfort from older vs 2 month old new king mattress compared to the material and ILD.

Thanks for advice!

@TheCleanBedroom
@Arizona_Premium

Hi there,
Could you give us a call at 212-764-3232? It would be better to address this over the phone, for clarity. Thanks!

1 Like