Talalay Topper Recommendations

I am a 6 ft 3, 230 pound male with chronic lyme disease, fibromyalgia, back pain, degenerative disc disease, prior lumbar back surgeries and current bulging and torn disc. I bought a new 16inch stearns and foster luxury cassat estate ultra plush pillow top bed in 2021 which feels still too hard, even though it’s a medium soft. I recently purchased a 2 inch sleep on latex organic dunlap soft topper and it helps with added pressure relief but feels still hard at times. Would a 2 or 3 inch Talalay plush soft topper soft be a better solution in giving me the cloud like, springy soft pressure relief without me sinking to far down?
I am a side and back sleeper. I don’t want to buy a new bed yet.

Here are links to my current bed so you can see the specs

Thank you in advance.

Yes, but at your weight you will need to rotate and flip regularly to avoid long term body impression. 3" of #19 will make the biggest change and what I recommend

1 Like

Thank you Ken.

I thought with Latex, you don’t have to flip or rotate and it doesn’t suffer from permanent indentations?

From my research it’s not necessary BUT it will absolutely help w longevity. The nice thing is you’d only have to flip the latex.

Also… may not need a new bed but may want to consider, at some point, cutting yours open, salvaging all the components that are still great, toss the ones that aren’t and putting it all into a new encasement. I almost did that w ours but I really want our hybrid to have springs from edge to edge.

I watched a YouTube vid of a guy doing this and he pulled out a yoga mat size portion of “gel infused foam”… from a QUEEN size mattress! A yoga mat amount! :person_facepalming:t2: This industry is such a racket.

1 Like

Thank you, it’s a great bed that I have and was very expensive I just think that with the micro coils in their top pillow top layer and given my condition once I sink down through the memory foam onto the coils it causes me unbelievable amount of pain in the middle of the night to the morning. I do like the stability and beefiness of it overall. My sleep on latex 2 in Dunlop topper improved it greatly but I’m thinking what I’m looking for is a 3-in tallalay and I’m hoping that does the trick.

Hi mkczj,
One thing you have to remember about the S&F. It uses viscoelastic memory foam in the comfort layer (while their spring system is a nice quality) the memory foam is not offering the soft support you may may need. Yes, it is soft, but you are likely sinking, particularly if you sleep a bit hot. Because everyone different with different requirements due to various physical conditions and needs. At 6’3 230, (I am 6’ formerly 250 now 220) I understand the amount of force we apply to the surface of a mattress.

While most material experts might agree that memory foam is very pressure relieving, I would also offer that many of those unbiased experts would agree that talalay latex exhibits pressure relieving qualities of it’s own while keeping you “floating” rather than sinking into the mattress placing a strain on those bothersome areas.
Adding a topper may help, but you still have to remember the basic construction and engineering of the existing mattress. This is not to say any mattress is good or bad quality. (If those ultra comfortable $230 New Balance running shoes that your neighbor raves about, are too narrow/wide/tight a fit for you, it doesnt matter how great they are for someone else). From my perspective a mattress is no different.

Because you own the mattress, certainly trying a few ancillary options is the best plan of action. Keep in mind you may get temporary relief and then potentially re occurring issues as that VE foam in the S&F, is VE foam and acts performs the way it always will.

Rotation, regardless of material, is always a benefit in evening out wear on any mattress material.

Good luck with it,

Maverick

1 Like

Thanks maverick, you are exactly right and that’s what I’m facing right now. It feels great at first and then when I sink down into it throughout the night I hit those coils and causes me a lot of pain. So I tried the Dunlop route it improved it significantly we’ll now try hopefully the talalay Route 3 in soft I’m thinking directly on the Stearns and foster. And see if that helps if that doesn’t help then at least I can use that 3 in soft towel lay hopefully in a Do-it myself custom build of a new bed with just layers of latex hopefully I won’t have to go that route

1 Like

If it does not work, I would not rule out placing a layer of coir on top of the mattress and then stacking the talalay, and/ dunlop and talalay on top of it to try and prevent the slow swallowing quick sand effect. Again, from my perspective, you “own it” with the mattress. Now the approach is to “fix” the issue with the least amount of financial exposure, before calling one of the TM’s to offer a potential better solution.

All the best
Maverick

Another recommendation was to use the 3-in Dunlap soft that I currently have I think it’s a mixture of Dunlop and talalay that sleep on latex does with an ild of 19 and then get a 2 in softer tally to put on top of that. But that’s going to add more height and weight to it it will be like a bunk bed at that point

1 Like

This Cal King does have 3000 individual coils and then it has the micro coils on top of that so I’m hoping I should be good with just the talalay 3-in soft on top of this instead of using the Dunlop as well

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s input so far and I welcome additional expert opinions in helping me make this decision. Thanks again

1 Like

I am a relatively light person, but old and with some joint and back issues. I would try talalay before you get a 3" dunlop. Talalay has a different feel and is bouncy and responsive. For me, dunlop is firm and less responsive. just my 2

1 Like