Temporary/spare bedroom mattress

I’m 27 and have never slept on a decent mattress in my life. I’ve also somehow managed to sleep on a twin size mattress all this time. I’m in the middle of buying my first house and don’t have the space for a queen size bed in my current space/don’t want to buy a new bed set right now, so I was thinking of buying something that is at least better than the garbage mattress I have now and putting it in a spare bedroom when I get my house.

I initially started looking at the big name store brand memory foam, but was turned off at the lack of information on their site regarding density. Not to mention every other place I look seems to love them while the rest hate them. I’m just not sure which “budget” brand to go for, but I’m also not sure it’s really that necessary given the fact that it’s essentially a “fill in” bed for the time being, and a spare bed for the rest of the time. I was looking specifically at the Night Therapy from Sam’s Club and the 12" Aerus from Walmart.

I’m a 5’10 with a powerlifter’s build, I usually fluctuate between 215lbs and 235lbs. My every night sleep routine is started out by laying on my left side for awhile before ultimately flipping over to a mostly stomach position with my head turned to the left. That’s the position I fall asleep in 95% of the time, the other 5% is probably side. I never sleep on my back.

Right now the mattress I have is some sort of $300 spring job and I can feel things poking me in the ribs as I lay there at night. This was originally supposed to fill the same needs I require right now, being a “filler bed” until I get my house but it’s become a bit more permanent after numerous deals have fallen through. As such, I don’t really want to spend more than $400 on something at the moment because I’m planning on spending $1500-2000 on my queen size setup when I do get a house. It still seems to me that the big name store brands are probably my best bet because most of the sites I see outline in a few threads here seem to be the higher quality types.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’ll keep reading around on here and see if I can find some other brands to look into.

Ones to look at in your price range:

Brooklyn bedding has a crazy quilt foam mattress. It uses only 1.5 lb foam though, but might be good for a guest bedroom.

original 5" mattress has great reviews. They use a higher quality foam. They recently came out with a 10in mattress.

Then you can look at Spindle mattress and other latex ones discussed in these posts.

Good luck!

Thanks, that Tuft and Needle mattress looks pretty good, and right in my price range too. I can’t find the in depth specs on what they use though, but it is CertiPur approved so that’s a plus.

Hi berfles,

In addition to jankdc’s very helpful comments and links … I would also make sure you read he tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (such as the major brands) which use lower quality materials in every budget range.

Higher quality/density materials will also be more durable but will also be more costly and for a mattress that is only for shorter term use this may be less important to you.

Phoenix

Definately go through the tutorial. As for the density of the Tuft and Needle, I got this back from them a few weeks ago:

[quote]Thanks for reaching out.

The foam we designed currently has a density of about 2 lbs—where the firmness level is around a 7 out of 10, where a 10 is the most firm. This is on the high end for foam quality. You can learn a lot more about densities on the Mattress Underground website and forums. The reason I say “about” is because foam in general has a slight variance, it’s never exact. It’s not abnormal for foam to be .1% more or less dense but, on average, ours is 2lbs.

When you’re shopping for a foam mattress, be sure you are getting something that has a higher density foam. I’d recommend something above 1.8 lbs.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kelly Y.

[/quote]