Tempur-cloud luxe vs pure latex bliss vs Serta icomfort

Well I would like to start off and say how grateful I am that I found this site! What an amazing wealth of real information. I have been researching matrtresses for about 3 weeks, reading lots of posts and getting myself educated. I went to a mattress store today as I have seen you post over and over again how important it is to TRY some mattresses. I’m SO Glad I listened to you! I was 100% sure I wanted latex. I laid on all 3 of these. I really loved the tempupedic cloud luxe. Super comfortable. Also loved the pure bliss and can see how moving around is so much easier and that what I have seen here is true that you are much more “on top” on a latex bed. That being said, I prefer the hug and pressure relief of the cloud luxe. My concerns are that 1: it will get softer over time as you say and will end up actually being too soft. 2. I don’t totally love the idea that when it gets warmer and more humid (I’m in Florida) that it will get even softer still. 3. I like a longer warranty (latex). 4. I prefer a natural product (latex) 5. And I think I will actually sleep better if it’s easier to mover (latex) as I won’t be pulled so far out of sleep exerting the effor to roll over like I think I will on the tempurpedic. My questions are 1. What is your opinion about this? 2. Where can I find comparable composition and comfort at a lower price point as these mattresses were all pretty pennies ( a few g’s each) 3. The Serta was actually very comfortable too but I don’t know anyone’s opinion on it in terms of quality materials etc. 4. I am a side/back sleeper, I have been waking up with a sore lower back and stiff neck and tight shoulders. I did notice the latex made m notice that on my side I could feel the pressure on my shoulders much more noticeably that on the cloud luxe. Can you help me and shed some light on what would be the best choice and where I can find similar quality with a smaller price tag? I need a king and would love to not spend more than 1200 or so. The sales guy did offer to sell me the floor models for about 1500-2k off retail. Still a bit high plus they’ve been sitting out on the floor for who knows how long. Appreciate any insight, and thanks again for a great site with really useful and practical info.

Hi Kj72,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!.

I’m not sure what you’ve read and what you haven’t since you found the site and you have many questions and some assumptions that need to be clarified so this reply will include a fair bit of reading.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

As you mentioned latex and memory foam are completely different materials with very different properties but the choice between them is a preference and budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. Some people prefer the “feel” and performance of latex and some people prefer memory foam. There is more about some of the general differences between them in post #2 here but as you mentioned the most reliable way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing or personal experience.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are also more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

All foam materials will get softer over time but if they are good quality and durable materials (such as latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam) then the softening process will be less and happen over a longer period of time than it will with lower quality/density materials. As long as the mattress you purchase isn’t “on the edge” of being too soft for you so that even a very small amount of foam softening would take you outside of the comfort/support range that is suitable for you then you should be fine (see post #2 here).

I would keep in mind that mattress warranties only cover manufacturing defects and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it may be until you need to replace it. If there is an actual defect in the materials it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress is always a much more reliable way to assess the durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

There is more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here.

Latex can be either natural or synthetic or a blend of both. For example the latex in most of the Pure Latex Bliss mattresses are a blend of 30% natural rubber and 70% synthetic rubber. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

That would certainly be possible but your own careful testing or personal experience will be the only way to know for certain. Some people sleep very well on latex and some sleep very well on memory foam. It would also depend on the specific type of memory foam because different formulations of memory foam have different properties (see post #9 here and post #8 here) and on the design of the mattress (some mattresses use thinner layers of memory foam mixed in with other more resilient materials either above or below the memory foam which would be less motion restricting).

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may also be well worth considering.

The online memory foam list in the tutorial includes several manufacturer and retailers that make memory foam mattresses that are designed to be reasonable approximations of many of the Tempurpedic mattresses.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices and some of them also sell (or can custom build) latex mattresses that would be reasonable approximations of some of the Pure Latex Bliss mattresses as well.

If you are open to an online purchase and when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

I would also read the comments in post #2 here about trying to “approximate” a major brand mattress such as the Serta and when you are considering a mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality of the materials inside it then unfortunately even the time you spend testing these mattresses is mostly wasted.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else (including me) would have the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

There are some very general guidelines about what to expect in different budget ranges in this article. Your budget would be on the low side for most all latex mattresses but you are in a budget range where you would certainly be able to find some latex/polyfoam hybrids and some good quality memory foam mattresses as well. Some of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of are also listed at the end of post #4 here and the other online lists it links to.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area that may be worth considering as well.

Phoenix

hi and thanks for the reply.

i did my homework assignment and I only have a couple more questions. :slight_smile:

i went and laid on a latex matress that my chiro had as a demo. Was 2 inch talalay top with a 6 inch HD 34 ILD base. He fitted me for the right height pillow as well. was comfy. Also was 1800$. I went on mattresses.net looked around and called them. Spoke to Greg who was very helpful. They have some slow recovery foam that I could potentially get put on top as well as a 2 inch or 3 inch talalay topper. I also looked at their pocket coil king with a topper of my choosing. pricing was pretty good. 1400$ i think for a king. They have blended base which is also an option 60/40 latex with hd foam. which would save me 200$ or so. if i dont like it i have top pay shipping to send it back and i think their return policy was 60 days. have to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.

questions:

is there another manufacturer that you know of with similar quality and price that i can buy from that coukd get it to me sooner with a better/longer return policy and that could get it to me quicker?

and do you know about the slow response latex toppers? im looking for some opinions on how they feel compared to reg latex topper talalay and to say a memeory foam topper.

thanks for the help

KJ

Hi Kj72,

There is also more about latex/polyfoam hybrids vs all latex mattresses in post #2 here. That’s certainly much more costly than many other latex/polyfoam hybrids that are available … especially if it only contains 2" of latex … and I would make some very careful value comparisons here. I would also want to know the density of the polyfoam base layer.

As you probably know from your reading here Arizona Premium Mattress (mattresses.net) is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

I’m not sure what mattress you are considering using underneath the slow recovery latex or the 2" or 3" latex topper but a 2" or 3" topper or any kind will certainly change the feel and performance of a mattress compared to the same mattress that doesn’t have a topper. All of these toppers are good quality and very durable materials. There is also some general information about slow response latex and how it compares to memory foam in post #2 here.

There is also more about how latex (other than slow response latex) compares to memory foam in very general terms in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of materials or which type of mattresses you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

This would also make a good quality/value and very durable choice (although of course don’t know how it would feel for you). There is also more general information about latex/pocket coil hybrids in post #13 here and the posts it links to.

This is an all latex mattress not a latex/polyfoam hybrid that only has 2" of latex so it really wouldn’t be an apples to apples or fair comparison. Even though it’s in a lower budget range … latex is a much more costly (and durable) material than polyfoam. It would be a much more meaningful comparison to compare this mattress to other “all latex” mattresses rather than a latex/polyfoam hybrid.

Arizona Premium also makes the Sedona Sleep mattress which is also a latex/polyfoam hybrid that are available in a range of firmness levels. They are a component mattress that has a separate topper so you can exchange just the top latex layer if your original choice is either too firm or too soft without having to exchange or return the complete mattress. This would be “somewhat” similar in design to the mattress you tested at the Chiropractor but it uses 3" of latex instead of two, has firmness and exchange options that aren’t available with the chiropractor mattress, probably uses a higher quality/density polyfoam base layer, and of course it’s also significantly less costly as well. There is more about the Sedona Sleep mattress and many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sedonasleep.com/

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would also be well worth considering and would be much better quality/value choices than the Chiropractor mattress you were looking at. The tutorial also includes a link to a list of some of the better lower budget latex and latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of as well (including Sedona Sleep of course).

Phoenix

Hi :slight_smile:

After many more hours researching and trying beds and looking everywhere, I decided to try Brooklyn Bedding. Was between that and another latex company. 900$ for the Brooklyn bedding and 1500$ from the latex company. King size. I decided to try BB based on the return policy and how quickly I could get the mattress. So I ordered it. It arrived, unpacked it, put it on my bed. No smell. Laid on it, and I like it. I might try a 2 inch talalay topper as I would like a little more squish. I think the quilting on top of the mattress makes it so u can’t really feel the latex. A lot of other latex mattresses I’ve laid on you feel the latex and the bouncyness of it. Doesn’t bother me just something I noticed. All in all happy with my purchase. Wish I knew how much softer the soft is, but I think I’ll stick with the medium and maybe spring a couple hundred for the topper. Next question is what ILD will that be!?

Hi Kj72,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice.

All the layers and components in a mattress (including the cover and quilting) will affect the feel and performance of all the other layers and the mattress “as a whole”. The BestMattressEver has a thin layer of polyfoam in the quilting which would provide a slightly softer and more “relaxed” sleeping surface but “most” of what you are feeling would still be from the latex comfort layers although the quilting would feel a little bit less resilient than sleeping directly on a latex comfort layer with a thinner knit cover.

An all latex mattress would typically feel more resilient than a latex/polyfoam hybrid and synthetic Dunlop latex would also feel a little less resilient than Talalay latex or 100% natural Dunlop as well so what you are feeling would be from the “combined effect” of all the materials and components in the mattress.

I would keep in mind that here will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so. I would generally suggest sleeping on any new mattress for a few weeks at a minimum Preferably a month or so) whenever possible before deciding on whether it’s a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and/or deciding to make any changes or additions to your mattress.

If and when the time comes that you decide to add a topper … if the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the mattress/topper combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time. A suitable topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it because it will absorb much of the compression forces that can soften or break down the top layers of the mattress underneath it over time.

Phoenix