Tempur-Pedic Warranty Question

I recently had an exchange with the folks over at Tempur-Pedic warranty claims about the fact that my mattress is sagging creating what I call a “body groove”. The denied my claim based on the fact that my mattress support did not see their recommendations. Even though my current set up gives better support than their recommendations actually provide. See my email below for full details. Is there any recourse I can take at this time? Hello Ryan,
Thanks so much for your informative and quick response to my request for warranty coverage due to the failure of the Tempur-Pedic mattress that I have come to really appreciate.

I have a full understanding of the importance of support and care for this mattress. Over the years of ownership and use with the understanding that I spend about 1/3 of my life on this mattress, I have done everything that I am aware of to keep it in the best shape for my comfort and health.

This includes changing and or washing the sheets at least every other week (Usually weekly.). The mattress cover is vacuumed and washed monthly. As an additional precaution, the mattress itself is in a moisture proof cover. If you look at the pictures I originally sent, you will see that the mattress top is like new and has NO signs of moisture on it.

To further maintain the condition of the mattress for my well being, it has been rotated regularly since it cannot be flipped.

As for your conclusion that the bed frame is not supportive enough, I ask you to re-examine this determination for the following reasons;

1. In the pictures I supplied I show a tape measure across the bed frame slats so that folks had the measurements to calculate the actual support 			that the frame offers. While standing on two single slats to take those pictures, there was very little deflection noted at all. Note that the bed 			frame is equipped with four drawers, two on each side. The drawer structure for each provides additional support to the center of the frame 			slats.

2. Examining the bottom of the mattress, which seems to have a relatively hard surface, there is no sign of distortion evident.

3. If indeed the bed frame was the issue, everything would move towards the lowest point presented by the questionable slat support. This would 			mean that the source of my concern would move to the section of the bed frame that is furthest from support. The center of the slats would 			have the most sagging. Thus not supporting the mattress and resulting in the center part of the mattress sagging. As noted in my original 			request for warranty, this is not the case. The center of the mattress still maintains its full support. This would not be possible if the slats were 		sagging under the mattress. 

4. I mention I rotate the mattress regularly. The first night on the new side after rotating the mattress. The mattress is more supportive, I’m not in 			the depression I am concerned about. After a couple nights though, the situation reoccurs. Being that the only thing changed here is the 			mattress position, it is logical to note that the mattress is the cause of the concern. If the bed frame was the issue the problem would not 			change with the mattress rotation.

5. Lastly, you folks state that,  "We recommend using slats that are at least 3" wide and no more than 4" apart." Based on 			this recommendation Tempur-Pedic is looking for 5.1 inches of support for every foot of the mattress length. On a queen size mattress, based 		on 80 inches as a standard, you are supporting less than 50% of the actual mattress length. This represents approximately 33.66 inches of 			support out of 80 possible inches. 

As you can see and measure in the initial pictures provided,  my current frame has 2.5 inch slats with 2.5 inches between them. With these 			dimensions the math states the  bed frame is providing 6 inches of support for every foot on mattress length for a total of 39.6 inches of 				support. Percentage wise this means that the bed frame is pretty much supporting 50% of the length of the mattress.

With all of this information I hope that you and your warranty department reconsider the following statement you sent in your last email;

On Jan 10, 2022, at 4:37 PM, Ryan C. (Tempur-Pedic) [email protected] wrote:

Based on the information you provided, it appears that the mattress is failing due to the improper frame/support below the mattress

Because in actuality my bed frame exceeds your minimum recommended requirements and my concerns do not fit with your determined cause of my issue.

Tempur-Pedic mattresses are indeed like sleeping on a cloud. My hope is that I can continue to spend a third of my remaining life sleeping in the comfort I have come to know from the years I have in this mattress up to now. I’d rather spend my money putting a second Tempur-Pedic bed in my home rather than replace one.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration."

Hi JB Bedman.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear that in addition to your Tempur-Pedic mattress sagging your warranty claim has also been dismissed without deeper examination. As you may be aware warranty claims denials are fairly common.

The answer you received reflects a boilerplate type of answer and I doubt that Tempur’s Zendesk support is using a knowledgeable representative who can understand the technicalities behind the mattress foundation support. You’ve most likely interacted with level 1 & 2 customer support reps with no qualifications to comprehend abut the bed support details you provided. Before you take a more aggressive step, I would reply and ask to escalate your issue to a manager who has the ability to understand those details as your foundation does indeed exceed the recommendations that Tempur-Pedic requires for mattress support. In addition to emails, I would also ask to talk to the manager to ensure they correctly understand your notes.

I’d also keep in mind that even you succeed in them recognizing that the support under your mattress is better than what they require … generally major brand mattresses that use the lower quality/density foams (especially in their comfort layers) will end up softening and breaking down quite quickly. However, in many cases, the visible impressions created by foam deterioration aren’t deep enough to qualify for a warranty claim even though foam softening (virtual impressions) can result in the loss of comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress. In these cases (which are very common) there would be no warranty coverage even though the mattress may need to be replaced. I would measure to see if the visible sag is deep enough to qualify for a warranty claim (You do not state what impression depth you measured but their Warranty covers only visible indentations greater than 0.75 of an inch). Mattress warranties only cover defects not the loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening so they have very little to do with the durability and useful life of a mattress. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

You certainly have a large audience that would be interested in the outcome of your Tempur-Pedic claim.
Phoenix