The long hunt for the value Latex Mattress.

Hello, I’ve been in the market for a new mattress for probably about a year now and after much research I think I’ve finally settled on latex mattresses. They seem to have everything I want in a mattress with very few cons. Unfortunately, however, I haven’t been able to find much locally in my area (buffalo. ny) so It’s mostly been online research.

Right now my top choice would be the Ultimate Dreams Freedom Customizable Latex Bed(Dreamfoam by Brooklyn Bedding - Dream Foam)
It is a blended all latex mattress but blended latex seems to be every bit as good as the all natural as far as performance goes(as far as I can tell from online research) and fits my sub $1000 price range.(810 for queen)
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Dreamfoam by Brooklyn Bedding - Dream Foam

Have any of you had experience with this bed?
Is there any comparative beds out there that are all latex?(cant afford much over 1k)
Is there a comfort difference between the thinner and thicker beds?(say a 7" mattress and 11" like this one) if not what important differences are there?

Hi csmith,

Wow … that’s a long time to research mattresses :slight_smile:

The better options or possibilities in the region in and around Buffalo, NY area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #29 here. There are a few latex options available there that would give you some sense of what latex feels like (although different types and blends of latex and different latex mattress designs can feel quite different from each other).

You are certainly looking at a great quality/value choice. Latex in general is among the most durable of all the foam materials that are used in a mattress. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about the synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex made by Mountaintop foam and the Freedom mattress in post #2 here and in posts #3 and #5 here. A forum search on “Freedom” (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts and feedback that mention it as well.

Posts #3 and #4 here include some of the better lower budget latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of although none of them are directly comparable because they have different designs, types and blends of latex, and different layering combinations.

The thickness of a mattress or of individual layers is one of many factors or specifications that combined together can make a difference in the feel and performance of a mattress yes (see post #14 here for more about the effects of thickness). Having said that … the thickness of a mattress by itself without taking into account the properties of the materials and components in the mattress isn’t particularly meaningful and thickness is more of a side effect of the design (see post #2 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (such as Dreamfoam) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Green Bedroom (mygreenbedroom.com) is in the Buffalo area on Niagara Falls Blvd. across from Trader Joe’s. They have been in business just over a year. They carry Savvy Rest, which is definitely more than the price range you are looking for, but you can get a feel for some different layer combinations.
ADMIN NOTE: Retired Website | Archived Footprint: mygreenbedroom.com

Hi gate25,

ADMIN NOTE: Retired Website | Archived Footprint: mygreenbedroom.com

Thanks for the heads up … and I’ve added Green Bedroom to the Buffalo list :slight_smile:

Phoenix