The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi Jimdog,

Thanks for the feedback ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress !

One more for the good guys :slight_smile:

Phoenix

If you donā€™t need to buy a mattress right away and want a Gel foam mattress I would wait a few mouths. There is a new Gel foam product coming to stores very soon, some may already have it. It is a Gel foam made by Flexible Foam & Future Foam. The process was developed by Bayer Chemical. Instead of ground up gel sprinkled into a memory foam wile it is being poured the gel is poured with the foam and is part of its structure. There are lots of rumors about the gel migrating out of the AUT foam, with the Bayer process that canā€™t possibly happen. Gel is also very strong so having it part of the foams structure makes the foam stronger. You still get the cooling aspects of Gel but in a much better thought our package. I am working on the 1633 testing on one now and should a couple beds available soon. I really didnā€™t like the design of the AUT foam so we havenā€™t made a Gel bed till now.
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thatā€™s great news! Iā€™ve been posting about the ā€œvalidā€ versions of gel for a while and have been a little jealous that the nearest version that I could even test is over 500 miles away. Iā€™m really optimistic about its potential when used in a meaningful way and Iā€™m really looking forward to the feedback as people try it.

And just to make it easier to find you since youā€™re a manufacturing member here and are allowed to post your links ā€¦ hereā€™s where to find you ā€¦ https://www.beloitmattress.com/

Thanks for letting us know :).

Phoenix

I need help. I, too, was considering the Serta iComfort prodigy. Iā€™ve had a Kingsdown mattress for about 7 years or so that Iā€™ve always hated. I finally got rid of it and now desperately need to buy a new mattress. I want to go with memory foam or anything thatā€™s NOT an innerspring mattress. I really liked the Serta icomfort, either prodigy or insight, and I also liked the tempurpedic rhapsody. But, the price of either is a serious investment. As a single mom, I need to be frugal. Can you help me make sense of this quickly so I can get a new mattress by the weekend? Iā€™m tired of sleeping on a bean bag!!
Itā€™s just me in a king size bed (at least for nowā€¦); Iā€™m 5ā€™4" and a side sleeper. Iā€™m 45, if that matters, and donā€™t have any major back complaints. Iā€™m in Tampa, FL and would appreciate any advice at all on what to look for, where to go, what to buy. Thank you!

The closest place I know to you is The Original Mattress Factory in Orlando, FL. They have a nice Latex set. You can check it out at https://www.originalmattress.com/.

Hi Alysal,

The first thing I would do is read the tutorial post here. Rushing to buy a mattress will often lead to poor value purchases which is a shame because what you buy will have a big effect on how you feel for the next decade or so. A mattress is one of the most important purchases most people make.

As you can see from this thread and others on the forum ā€¦ none of the choices you are looking at are particularly good value (or in the case of the iComfort good quality either) and the best quality and value will usually be from a local factory direct manufacturer or a better sleep shop that are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, use higher quality materials, and have better prices.

Some of the better choices in and around the Tampa, Clearwater, St Petersburg area include ā€¦

https://www.pittsburghmattressfactory.com/ Local factory direct manufacturer with outlets in Ellenton and Bradenton. They make a variety of mattresses including double sided and true HR polyfoam (the best kind of polyfoam) and Dunlop latex. While they are not ā€œcheapā€ and are priced higher than many independent manufacturers, they do use high quality materials and would be worth a phone call and/or a visit as a reference if nothing else.

https://www.manta.com/c/mm2fvf1/bartow-mattress-upholstery Local factory direct manufacturer in Bartow, FL. They have been making mattresses for over 100 years and make traditional two sided innerspring mattresses as well as 6" two sided latex mattresses on a working box spring. They are open about providing information about the quality/density of any of the materials or layers in their mattress. They will make memory foam mattresses but like many smaller manufacturers tend to prefer more resilient materials so they tend to discourage it and may not have any memory foam on their floor.

https://www.matterbrothersfurniture.com/ Pinellas Park, Tarpon Springs, Naples, Fort Meyers, FL. They are a local manufacturer that makes a range of mattresses including latex and polyfoam/innersprings (and some memory foam). The sales people there are often not as knowledgeable about the materials they use however (for example they know little about the foam density they use) but they told me they would find out if asked. Certainly a better option and higher quality and value than larger name brands or mass market outlets but would require some research because being a manufacturer with several stores the knowledge level of all the salespeople on the floor may not be up to the ā€œnormā€ of most local manufacturers.

HOME - InnoMax Smaller national brand normally sold through retail outlets but with a factory direct outlet in Clearwater. Makes a range of mattresses including latex and memory foam and better value.

Body Rest Mattress Manufacturer in St Petersburg and Tampa. They sell to retail stores but they have a local showroom where consumers can test their mattresses and be referred to a retailer. They are owned by Commercial Bedding and make the Green Karma line which uses PET recycled materials which are rather unique and a non toxic and durable alternative to traditional polyfoam as well as their Green Earth and
Panache lines which includes latex, innersprings, and memory foam.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Latex Mattresses, Organic Latex Mattress, Pocket Coil Mattress - Flexus Comfort | Archived Footprint 2: panachemattress.com/index.html

http://www.orlandomattresscompany.com/ and Atlas Mattress Factory Lake Hamilton, FL. They are local manufacturers who are working in partnership and make a range of good quality mattresses. They generally make commercial mattresses for hotels and cruise liners but they also sell direct to customers at the Atlas Mattress showroom. They make traditional mattresses (innerspring/polyfoam using a wide range of foam densities depending on budget), latex, latex hybrids, and microcoils and are transparent about the type and quality of the materials that they use. Both Orlando Mattress and Atlas Mattress can provide information about the materials inside any of their mattresses. They can also custom build.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: atlasmattressfactory.com/

810 beds Retail outlet with outlets in Tampa, Brandon, St Petersburg, Clearwater, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon Springs. Carries Panache and Body Rest mattresses (both owned by Commercial Bedding) and Serenity Mattress which are both local brands. He has a very close relationship with both and can order a custom mattress if necessary. Better value than most retail outlets, knowledgeable and helpful.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: 810beds.com/

http://www.somnissleep.org/ Retail store in Tampa. Carries Innomax, Organicpedic (OMI), and Reverie mattresses which are all high quality mattresses but some of them are in higher budget ranges. They also carry mLily which are a Chinese memory foam import. The owner is knowledgeable and focuses on the materials in a mattress rather than ā€œmarketing storiesā€ which of course is a sign of a better outlet and better customer service.

www.clearwater-discount-mattress.com/ or http://www.tampabaydiscountmattress.com/index.html Retail outlet with outlets in Palm harbor and Tampa. Carries several alternative budget brands that tend to use higher quality materials and have better value than most major brands. While they donā€™t know every detail of the foams in their mattresses (they donā€™t actually make them), they have told me that they will find out for you so that you can avoid having too much low quality materials in your mattress.

https://bedpros.com/ Retailer with stores throughout the area. They carry Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses which are a high quality talalay latex mattress and because the specs are known can also provide a rough blueprint for an online purchase where the value may be better. I would not consider any of their other mattresses or let them steer you in any other direction using ā€œsales techniquesā€ (I donā€™t know them but many chain stores do this). There is nothing else there that I would consider unless they can provide all the specs you need that will ā€œproveā€ that it would be worth considering.

http://www.mattressdr.com/ Retail store in Tampa and also sells on ebay. Carries Diamond mattresses.

https://www.designinteriorsfurniture.com/ Tampa. Carry a wide range of Jamison mattresses.

https://www.thebetterbackstore.net/ Port Richey. Carry Jamison which makes some higher quality mattresses including gel memory foam and latex.

https://www.mattressavenue.com/ Port Richey, Spring Hill. Carry Pure Latex Bliss talalay latex mattresses. I would avoid the major brands they also carry.

Contact Famous Tate in Florida Tampa, Winter Haven, Lakeland, Oldsmar, Spring Hill, Brandon, Port Richey, Wesley Chapel. They carry Therapedic mattresses (including latex hybrids) but make sure you can find out the specifics of all the layers in any mattress you consider here.

This topic also has some feedback from one of the members here about their experiences with some of the manufacturers mentioned here.

Hopefully this will help you a bit ā€¦ and I would certainly take the time to do a little research if you can but if your time is limited it is exceptionally important to only go to outlets who will tell you exactly what is in every mattress they sell rather than telling you stories based on ā€œcomfortā€ alone which may feel great in the store but will have little relationship to how a mattress feels or performs when it is in your home or the quality or durability of the materials in it.

Phoenix

From what they say on the Original Mattress website regarding their latex mattresses, are these specs good?

Mattresses & Box Springs

Our Latex mattresses and box springs offer a truly unique feel combined with superior comfort, support and durability. There are two models available, both of which feature a two-sided design and the highest quality Talalay latex foam core. This core is approximately 40% natural latex and 60% synthetic latex. A blend is best as it creates the most consistent and comfortable product. Our Latex box springs feature four-fold torsion modules with additional wire, an additional wood slat and offer superior support and shock absorption.

overview
comfort choices
pricing & sizes
how to buy

Comfort Choices:

Latex Foam 
Latex Supreme 

Mattress Thickness:
9" ā€“ 12 Ā½" (Tolerance Ā± Ā½")
Warranty:
12 Years Non-Prorated

Mattress Components:

The Latex models use a selection of the following materials depending on your comfort choice:
All Latex models are padded equally on both sides of the mattress.

6" TalatechĀ® Talalay Latex Foam Core - 30-34 ILD, 4.7lb/ftĀ³ Density (Tolerance Ā±.25lb/ftĀ³)
Convoluted TalatechĀ® Talalay Latex Foam Topper ā€“ 17-21 ILD, 3.25lb/ftĀ³ Density (Tolerance Ā±.25lb/ftĀ³)
FR Fiber
Quilted Panel Featuring a Premium Damask Fabric Cover
Heavy Duty Cloth Handles

Box Spring Components:

Amish Built Wood Frames ~ featuring 1 x 4 side slats and 1 x 3 cross slats
Blended Cotton Felt Insulator Pad
Skid Resistant Fabric Cover
Patented 4-Fold Torsion Grid Modules ~ provide extra shock absorption and durability
Special Sinuous Wire Springs ~ provide added corner strength
Hand-Tailored Box Spring Cover

Also, is it a good that all of their King sized mattresses are hinged and can be folded top to bottom??

Finally, do you have to flip or rotate latex mattresses? If so, how often? THANK YOU!!

Hi Alysal,

The two OMF latex mattresses each have an inch of polyfoam on each side (which is the maximum I would recommend) but other than that they use high quality materials (talalay latex). Because they only have two latex options however ā€¦ the specific layering of either of them many not suit some people in terms of pressure relief, alignment, or preferences. In other words even a mattress that uses the absolute highest quality materials (like quality latex) can have ā€œbad specsā€ if the construction and layering arenā€™t suitable for the person lying on them. This is why itā€™s important to buy a mattress that provides the pressure relief, alignment, and personal preferences that are necessary for each individual. Even the best materials can cause discomfort and back pain if the specs donā€™t fit the individual.

OMF is also a little unusual in the world of latex mattress manufacturers in that they include a ā€œworkingā€ box spring (or torsion spring) with their latex mattress. Most manufacturers believe that a solid non flexible foundation is better suited for latex and that a box spring is not as desirable. It will certainly change the feel of a mattress however whether this different feel is good for an individual or whether it helps or hinders alignment would depend on each person. This means that a latex mattress on a boxspring will feel different from the same mattress on a solid foundation. They are good quality however.

This can be a help in moving the mattress through difficult spaces but is designed to not have an effect on performance. It can certainly be helpful in some circumstances.

While latex is a very durable material ā€¦ it can also benefit from being flipped (if two sided) or turned to extend its life. The less durable materials (like polyfoam) or materials that can compress (like various types of fibers) can also benefit from either flipping (if possible) or turning to even out the wear or compression and give the most used parts time to rest.

Its a good idea to flip and/or turn your mattress every couple of weeks for the first 3 months and then gradually less frequently until after about 6 months you are doing it once a season. If you have a two sided mattress you can alternate flipping and turning. With most material there is a more rapid period of softening or compression at the beginning and this can be better evened out with more frequent rotation or turning in the first few months and then less frequently after the initial softening and compression.

Overall ā€¦ OMF (like most of the smaller independent manufacturers) is better value and uses higher quality materials in any given price range than most if not all of the major manufacturers. Regardless of the quality of a mattress though, the most important part of buying a mattress is that it fits your individual needs and preferences.

Phoenix

Update: after being stranded in Denver while trying to connect for a flight back to Jackson, I was able to get to a Denver Mattress and try out the Snowmass. Unfortunately, it just didnā€™t work for me as I felt my hips were sinking too much, creating a bit of a V shape out of my spine. On a whim, I went into an IKEA and tried out their latex mattress. I was quite surprised when they actually all felt quite good to me! They were quite a bit firmer than the Snowmass and my spine felt good while lying on them. Unfortunately, the documentation was quite sparse so I have no idea what their construction is like. Are you familiar with their mattresses? The two in particular I would consider are the Sultan Edsele at $1,000 for a king and the Sultan Engenes at $800. These prices seem ridiculously low to the point where I naturally tend to think there must be something wrong with them. I tried doing more research on IKEAā€™s website, but I think you need adobe flash, which I canā€™t get on my iPad. Any thought would be very much appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions for alternatives, based on the profile I have provided (Snowmass too soft, IKEA stuff much better), that would be appreciated too.

Hi Jaxson,

What your experience on both the Aspen and the Snowmass is telling me is that the ILD of the support layers may not be enough for you.

Both of these mattresses use 24 ILD latex in the comfort layers and 32 ILD latex latex in the support core underneath this. The softer feel of the Aspen comes from using a different softness of polyfoam under the latex comfort layer while the Snowmass uses a firmer polyfoam which is quilted (making it a little firmer yet) over the latex. The Snowmass also uses more latex in the support core than the Aspen which can also contribute to any differences in feeling and/or alighment between the two mattresses.

The Ikea Edsele is made of ā€œmostly naturalā€ Dunlop latex which has a higher sag factor (gets firmer faster than talalay latex) so it will feel firmer than talalay in the same ILD. This means that it may not provide the same degree of pressure relief, especially for side sleepers, because the ā€œtop partā€ of the mattress is not as soft. It will however provide better support as it will stop the hips from sinking in as much (both because it is firmer and because it is Dunlop). It also has a different ā€œfeelā€ from talalay and is not as ā€œspringyā€.

One of the challenges of buying a mattress is to find the right combination of pressure relief and alignment that work for individuals weight distribution and sleeping positions and the tradeoffs between the two are sometimes difficult. This can also be made more difficult by sleeping partners who either have different weight distributions or sleeping positions. Stomach sleeping expecially needs the most hip support (keeping the hips up) because stomach sleeping can lead to a swayback position which overextends the lumbar and can lead to back issues. On the other hand, side sleeping needs a thicker softer comfort layer than other positions because there are more "bony protrusions) in side sleeping (hips, shoulders, pelvic crest) that can create pressure problems and more ā€œgapsā€ in the body profile to fill in. Normally combination sleeping ā€¦ particularly side/stomach ā€¦ needs the thinnest and firmest comfort layer possible that adequately provides pressure relief on the side and as firm support layers as possible and comfortable to allow for the best alignment while on the stomach.

The Engenes is also Dunlop latex but it is 20% natural and 80% synthetic which is not nearly as high quality a material as the more natural Dunlop. SBR (synthetic rubber) when used in Dunlop latex will tend to be stiffer (not as elastic) and not as durable so I would tend to avoid it when there is a more natural Dunlop available. The best Dunlop is 100% natural Dunlop.

It is important to test a mattress for pressure relief in the position that is most prone to pressure issues (mostly the side for most people). This is mainly the job of the top few inches of the mattress. It is also important to test for spinal alignment in all your sleeping positions. This is mainly the job of the firmer layers that are under the comfort layers of the mattress.

While the Ikea seems to provide better support ā€¦ I would make sure that I tested it for pressure relief while lying on it completely relaxed for at least 15 minutes on your side. While different people have different tolerances for the amount of pressure that is comfortable for them ā€¦ for most people sleeping directly on a firm Dunlop comfort layer may provide great alignment but not the amount of pressure relief that would be comfortable for them over the course of the night. Of course this Dunlop core (for alignment) with a softer 2-3" topper (for pressure relief) could also make a good choice if it was necessary and there may be better quality and value options and wider choices in Dunlop available through independent manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thank you! Two questions, if I were to just order online, say from sleepEZ, what configuration would you suggest? Also, do you know of any good stores in Salt Lake City? Itā€™s a 4.5 hour drive, but might be worth a weekend trip.

Hi Jaxson,

The best way to choose a layering is to test mattresses which have known specs to get a clear sense of the ILD and thickness of the comfort layers and support layers that work best for you. Each experience helps ā€œpoint toā€ the best layering for each individual. For example ā€¦ I would say that a 32 ILD core is on the soft side for you and 36 - 40 (firm) talalay would work better or even firm Dunlop. The layers interact however so knowing that the support core needs to be firmer is only an approximation rather than giving an exact layering scheme that works for you. For example the comfort layers on the Snowmass may be perfect but the support core was likely too soft. Thatā€™s why its important to ā€œdifferentiateā€ pressure relief and alignment when you are testing mattresses so that you donā€™t mix the two up or go by an overall feel. The iComfort you tried for example had a softer comfort layer than the snowmass but the core is likely a little firmer.

If you decide to purchase from an online manufacturer such as SleepEz ā€¦ I would let them know your ā€œspecsā€ (height, weight, and sleeping positions) what you have tested and your feedback about each one. They are very good at either going by ā€œaveragesā€ (which works well for most people which is why they recommend it so often) or will adjust the averages based on your testing. They are the ā€œexpertsā€ with their own mattresses and their construction based on many hundreds (or thousands) of customers and their feedback.

At this stage it is unclear the type of comfort layer which works best for you. If you are comfortable on a firmer comfort layer (such as the Ikea) and have no pressure problems ā€¦ then medium, firm, extra firm would likely work well for you. If you need a softer comfort layer ā€¦ then soft medium firm would likely work well (especially for side sleepers). Each of you should test mattresses separately since you may have different needs and the mattresses can be made with a side to side split to accommodate each of your needs.

There are a couple of factory direct manufacturers in Salt Lake City if you decide to take a trip there. I would call first to make sure what they have on their floor for you to test before making a long trip. Sometimes they can make a mattress with certain materials or layering but may not have it on the floor for you to test.

See post #2 here for the updated Salt Lake City/Provo list

Hope this helps. Keep in mind too that there are many people that are happy with an online purchase who have done little testing and even if the layering is not quite right ā€¦ a layer exchange at a low cost will normally solve any problems. While I personally believe that some testing will help a lot to narrow down the best layering and in some cases save the frustration of deciding which layers to exchange ā€¦ its at least nice to know for those that donā€™t have many good options near them that even without a specific ā€œperfectā€ mattress that you are duplicating that the odds are good that you will end up with a mattress that is superior in all ways than anything you would otherwise have purchased.

Phoenix

PS: There is a store in Idaho Falls[/url] which carries several latex mattresses from Natura which use talalay, dunlop, and various combinations. While they donā€™t list the exact specs, Natura does list the general construction and materials and they would certainly be valuable in giving a general idea of different latex layerings that may work well for you.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: completecomfortbeds.com/category/natura

Hello Phoenix,

My new wife and I (just married) are looking for a new bed and I'm hoping you can help us find a good one.  We just came back from looking at the icomfort and we thought we liked it (until i found this site).  We live in NY (not far from NYC) and are looking to buy a king size bed.  My wife is about 130lbs and tends to sleep on her stomach, while im about 185 and sleep mostly on my back/sides (im figitty).  Recently, ive noticed that i wake up aching and kind of sore and i think our old bed is the culprit.  I'm a big golfer, so my back is a bit sesitive.  Can you help us find a good bed for a good price?

Very best regards,
D&E

Hi Jaxson,

Just in case youā€™ve already read my last reply ā€¦ I added two outlets and some comments to my original post. One is a wholesale manufacturer in Salt Lake City if you decide to go there and the other is in the PS which is an outlet in Idaho Falls which carries a range of latex mattresses made by Natura.

Phoenix

Hi Irishman 222,

There are a lot of independent factory direct manufacturers in and around NYC which make a wide range of mattresses ā€¦ some of them not so commonly seen in other areas of the country. You will find them in post #2 here.

You may also find that because of your different sleeping positions and weights that you may do best with different constructions on each side of the mattress and most smaller independents will do this when it is necessary.

There is also a wide range of prices and materials in this list so I would certainly do some initial research on their websites and on the phone before selecting a few that you feel would be the most worthwhile to visit.

A side sleeper typically needs a thicker softer comfort layer and a good place to start would be about 3" and then go up or down from there depending on your experience in testing mattresses. Heavier weights also would typically use firmer layering (in both the comfort layers and the suupport layers) than lighter weights because firmer foam feels softer to them than it does to people with a lighter body weight.

Your wife on the other hand could use thinner and firmer comfort layers (1-2") than would be typical for people of her height and weight because of her stomach sleeping which has a tendency to allow the hips to sink too deeply in the mattress and cause a swayback position ā€¦ and possible back issues. This may work out to your advantage as her need for firmer comfort layers and good support for her stomach sleeping may also help to match her to the firmer layering you would need because you weigh more than she does. I am guessing though that she would also spend some time on her side (most stomach sleepers do) so she may need a little extra thickness and softness to help with any pressure issues when she does.

Of course you need to decide on which materials feel best to you and it may help you to read through the overviews here here to get a sense of the different choices you have and give you some basic information that will help you along the way.

Good luck and feel free to post here along the way if you have questions.

And congratulations on your marriage :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

As many people on this forum my wife and I are looking to get a new bed. The questions is what brand do we go with. My wife has been gunning for the iComfort but in my opinion its ok. I have looked at memory, latex, tempur pedic, adjustable beds etc. We live in Fayetteville, NC and just really confused on what the best buy would be.

What we are looking for is something that is comfortable and allows us to enjoy sleeping with the possibility of having an adjustable base for leisure tv watching etc. I am 5ā€™11 (240l lbs) 5ā€™4 (130 lbs) we currently have a serta mattress that I had bought from sams club but its starring to sink in to each other. I have read a lot of the comments on this site but canā€™t seem to find the right answer.

What brand should I be looking for etc. Should I be looking at amazon.com to buy one. There are just so many different brands and as you have mentioned I rather buy something that was made in the USA based on the contents of the mattress. There is the ā€œOriginal Mattress Factoryā€. Not biased to them but wanting to get the most bang for my buck seeming how expensive it is for a adjustable base if you buy one and the mattress. Again, your assistance in this matter is deeply appreciated. Thanks again.

As far as making a purchase. I would like to be able to have a no hassle return if the bed we purchase is not working out etc. But not going to say I am not willing to try to order a bed off of a website like amazon.com, sams club, etc.

-JonnyBBravo

Phoenix,

I just essentially put a deposit on an Icomfort Revolution and Iā€™m wondering where you get your information from.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that the Revolution has 2" KoolComfort Memory Foam, 1" comfort foam, 2Ā¾" Cool Action Gel Memory Foamā€¦ but your claiming the density is not as good as the competitors? But do you have any factual information to back this up?

And what if you lived in canada and didnā€™t have any custom mattress manufacturers near you?? It doesnā€™t make sense that you bash the Serta product with minimal facts to go on.

With a price point the same or close, how would a $2100 tempurpedic compare to an Icomfort? In both longevity and comfort?

Should I get the cheaper 5.3lb per cubic foot memory foam Novosbed (very similar to the classic) and get a 3" 4lb topper for about $1000? or spend the $2100 on the Icomfort??

Hi Jonnybbravo,

In mattress shopping ā€¦ brand is almost meaningless because every brand has access to the same materials and it is the materials in a mattress which determines its quality and value. The ā€œbrandā€ which generally produces the ā€œbestā€ value and quality is what the major brands call ā€œoff brandsā€ which means any brand which is not a major national mattress manufacturer. These independent local or regional manufacturers, often owned and run by families that have been producing high quality mattresses for several generations, would certainly be the place I would focus my attention. Some guidelines that will help you avoid most of the pitfalls of mattress shopping are here.

The first thing I would do is to decide on the general ā€œtypeā€ of mattress you are looking for. I would start here and read the 6 overviews and that in combination with your own general mattress testing should help you to narrow down the type of materials you are looking for and most comfortable with.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Mattresses - The Mattress Underground

In the comfort layers ā€¦ the most common choices are between the three different types of foam which are memory foam, latex, and polyfoam. I would not consider polyfoam unless you are purchasing from an independent manufacturer who will tell you the quality they are using and how long it can be reasonable expected to last. Polyfoam comes in a wide range of different qualities and the major manufacturers tend to use lower density and quality polyfoam in the comfort layers of their mattresses which are not nearly as durable as higher quality polyfoam. The other two types of foam used in comfort layers ā€¦ latex and memory foam ā€¦ are very different materials and I would lay on some of each to get a sense of the differences in general feel between them. While both memory foam and latex come in a wide variety of different firmnesses and layering schemes which can change how they feel and perform for each individual, they are quite different from each other no matter which layering scheme is used. These two articles about the pros and cons of latex and the pros and cons of memory foam may also help.

In the support layers ā€¦ you will most likely be looking at a choice between latex, polyfoam, and innersprings. Again, each of these will have different qualities and a different feel, advantages, and disadvantages.

Keep in mind though that in almost all mattresses ā€¦ the weak link (the part that is most prone to early softening and/or failure) is the materials used in the top few inches of the mattress. This is the part of a mattress that needs the most durable materials.

The most effective way to buy a mattress with the least amount of research (which can sometimes be a little overwhelming) is to focus your efforts on independent manufacturers or sleep shops which are completely transparent about what is in their mattresses and have the knowledge and skill and integrity to ā€œmatchā€ a mattress to your specific needs and budget.

Some of the independent manufacturers near Fayetteville, NC which would likely be your best source of quality and value would be ā€¦

Find an Original Mattress Factory Store Fayetteville, NC. Regional factory direct manufacturer. They produce a wide variety of mattresses using higher quality materials including 2 latex models and they are just coming out with their first memory foam mattress as well. Very good quality and value.

Southern Mattress, a Premium Economy Custom Mattress Manufacturer, Nationwide Delivery, Toll Free 1-800-227-8701 Rocky Mount, NC. Factory direct manufacturer that sells mostly wholesale to retail outlets but they also have a showroom at their factory that sells directly to consumers. They make some high quality traditional innerspring /polyfoam mattresses (including HR polyfoam) that are better quality and value than mainstream manufacturers in their price range. Very good quality and value in this style of mattress.

http://www.riversidemattressinc.com/ Local wholesale manufacturer in Fayetteville that makes a range of two sided innerspring mattresses. They have a store finder on their site.

There are a few other independent manufacturers in High Point that make some high quality mattresses as well. these would also be worth including in your research if a trip to High Point is a reasonable possibility.

Band Bedding Local factory direct manufacturer who is making high quality mattresses using high quality material with very good value. Will make memory foam on request but prefers to focus on materials that they believe wonā€™t soften or degrade as quickly like latex or higher quality polyfoam. Owned by the father of Walker Bedding.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bandlbedding.net/

http://www.walkerbeddingcompany.net/ Local factory direct manufacturer in High Point. Makes some very good value innerspring mattresses using higher quality polyfoam than most. Run by the son of BandL Bedding.

High Point Bedding Local factory direct manufacturer in High Point. Makes mainly lower budget and good value innerspring/polyfoam mattresses. No website.

http://reliablebeddingcompany.com/ Another factory direct manufacturer in High Point that has been making a range of two sided innerspring mattresses for over 40 years.

These are ā€œold styleā€ mattress makers who have been around for a long time and are ā€œgood peopleā€ who focus more on their local reputation than on advertising to sell mattresses.

Some of the local retail options that may also be worth considering on a mattress by mattress basis and the brands that they carry that I would focus on at each one (assuming that they are willing and able to provide you with the information you need about the quality of the materials in their mattresses) includes ā€¦

http://www.homemakersfurniturenc.com/ Fayetteville, NC. Bemco, Restonic.

agoodnightsleepstore.com/ Fayetteville, NC. Pure Latex Bliss.

themattressshoppe.net/index.html Fayetteville, NC. Park Place, Southerland.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: agoodnightsleepstore.com/| Archived Footprint 2:themattressshoppe.net/index.html

Eastover Furniture and Mattress Company | Eastover NC Eastover, NC. Restonic

hornefurnitureandappliance.com/brands.html Stedman, NC. Restonic
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: hornefurnitureandappliance.com/brands.html

Store Locations | Farmers Home Furniture Dunn, Red Springs, Lumberton, Clinton, Sanford, NC. Paramount.

http://www.nearwholesale.net/bedroom/mattresses.aspx Lumberton, NC. Southern Lady.

https://www.dossenbachs.com/ Sanford, NC. Jamison, Symbol.

Southern Pines, NC. American Bedding (Sterling & Thomas)
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: dreamlandnc.com/

https://www.tuckerfurnitureinc.com/ Smithfield, NC. Park Place.

There is also a Raleigh / Durham list in post #6 here.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Hi Moose0721,

Thanks for some great questions :slight_smile:

The information on the site and in the forum comes from many sources. Some of it comes from thousands (literally) of hours of conversations with dozens of mattress manufacturers all around the country who in many cases have made mattresses for decades. They are well aware of the different materials that are available to them and the specs, advantages, and disadvantages of each material.

Part of it comes also from having come to know what you could call ā€œinsidersā€ in the industry who have many years of experience in different parts of the the industry, are well aware of the trends that are happening, and why different manufacturers take the approach they do in manufacturing and pricing their mattresses.

Part of it comes from thousands of hours of research (again literally) into the properties and specs of the different materials that are used in mattresses and what they really do as opposed to what various interests would have people believe they do. There are many technical sources on the internet but they usually involve going much deeper into various searches and then taking the time to read (and understand) some very difficult and technical reading. Sources like patent applications, SEC 10K forms, industry publications and sites, foam manufacturers, and many others are also valuable sources of more accurate information than most people are willing or have the time to pursue.

Part of it also comes from an understanding of how different types of manufacturing techniques and layering patterns interact with each other and with the people sleeping on them. This information too has come from many sources both online and on many hours of conversations.

Part of it come from many many hours of personal testing of mattresses with different types of layering, construction, and materials both by myself and others to ā€œtranslateā€ various ideas and knowledge into practical terms.

Sometimes information has to be ā€œfigured outā€ as in some of the specs of the iComfort. I have seen samples of the actual foam used in the iComfort, laid on each model to see how it felt and performed in comparison to other mattresses, talked to many people about the specific foams that are used and what is in them, seen the specs of each mattress which are available at various online outlets, and also had to use various calculations to determine the actual density of the gel memory foam they (and other manufacturers) use.

I typically spend about 16 hours a day and 7 days a week with the different ā€œhatsā€ I wear in building this website and gathering the information on it.

I hope my last answer and the hundreds of pages on this website and on the forum have helped you understand that there is much more than just ā€œminimal factsā€ behind anything that goes on this website. Canada also has many independent factory direct manufacturers just like the US ā€¦ however also like in the US there are areas where one of these isnā€™t within reasonable driving distance. In cases like these ā€¦ some local mattress testing will certainly give you enough information to create a rough ā€œprototypeā€ for an online order of a high quality and value mattress from a Canadian or American manufacturer. Sometimes this is the best source of quality and value in a mattress purchase and it is available for anyone in North America when a lack of other good choices warrants it.

In terms of durability and longevity ā€¦ there is no doubt in my mind that the Tempurpedic uses higher quality and more durable materials. Comfort on the other hand is a personal issue that is unique to each individual based on their height, weight distribution, sleeping positions, and preferences and how a specific mattress interacts with their unique needs and specs. Even the worst quality cheapest materials can be used to make a mattress ā€œcomfortableā€ (which is really a meaningless term and very subjective for each individual). The issue is how long will this ā€œcomfortā€ last and did you pay a fair price for the materials and construction used to produce it. This is where the major manufacturers fall short, not in their ability to produce ā€œcomfortableā€ mattresses. Most people who buy a mattress based on subjective factors like ā€œcomfortā€ in the ā€œhighly managedā€ and artificial environment of most mattress showrooms or who focus on brands they are familiar with through advertising will not do well in terms of the value and/or the durability of their purchase.

Major brand mattresses are not all ā€œbadā€ mattresses ā€¦ but the best of them do not compare well with many if not most smaller manufacturers who use much higher quality and more durable materials at the same price points.

I personally wouldnā€™t consider either. Novosbed doesnā€™t provide the source or any certifications of the memory foam used in the Novosbed which they donā€™t give on their website and wonā€™t release to customers on a phone call. There is some very bad memory foam used in mattresses that have a 5.3 lb density ā€¦ and much of it comes from China. At least the CertiPur or other certifications from independent testing groups will help avoid these questionable sources of memory foam.

If you search the web and take a look at some import records that are available you will see shipments to Novosbeds from URE Plastics in China. This is why I normally suggest the four guidelines in post #2 here when buying memory foam. Enough said?

If you were to buy a memory foam mattress like the Novosbed (assuming it was good quality) ā€¦ then there would be no need to add more memory foam as it would already have enough. Too much memory foam for an individualā€™s requirements is not a good idea and will increase the likelihood of back issues that come from sleeping out of alignment. With 4" of memory foam and then another 3" of topper ā€¦ you would have a total of 7" of memory foam. This would not be suitable for anyone.

Thanks again for your great questions and giving me the chance to answer them with more than ā€œminimal factsā€ :slight_smile:

Phoenix

NOTE: Since this was written Novosbed now uses US manufactured foam that is Certipur certified and are completely transparent about the quality/density of the materials in their mattresses and are included in the list of memory foam sources that are among the better quality/value online memory foam options.

With all that said phoenix, can you confirm based on your knowledge the density of the 3 comfort foams used in the Icomfort revolution?

The novosbed is similar to tempurpedic classic and therefore a very firm bed. So adding a 2" or 3" topper would be a nice addition to a very firm bed.

I donā€™t want to make the mistake and buy the wrong bed here spending a lot of moneyā€¦