The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi Anonymous,

Buying a mattress is one of the most important purchases we make in terms of how much it can affect our lives and yet it is also one of the most blind purchases that we make. For most people ā€¦ buying a mattress is little more than buying something that ā€œfeels goodā€ in the managed environment of a showroom (which has little resemblance to how suitable a mattress may be when you actually use it over the coming years) without any real idea of what is actually in the mattress or with little idea about what the real differences are between different types of mattress or ā€œmattress ingredientsā€.

This is made worse when people try to educate themselves about the different types of mattresses and materials and become overwhelmed with conflicting information by hundreds of so called ā€œexpertā€ sites ā€¦ most of which are promoting an agenda and provide information which is either a distortion of the facts or worse yet completely incorrect.

For all these reasons ā€¦ and for most people ā€¦ the most important part of buying a mattress is to find an outlet which has a combination of several qualities.

1. Employees and/or owners who really know the difference between different types of mattresses and materials and can explain them in both factual and laymans terms that make sense.

2. Outlets and people who are more interested in fitting you to a mattress than they are in the profits they will make (they understand that profits are a side effect not a ā€œcauseā€).

3. Outlets who understand that the value of a mattress is based on the materials in the mattress and how they are put together. These are the type of outlets who will show you how to compare a mattress based on what is in them rather than the stories that are ā€œattachedā€ to them. These are the outlets who WANT you to know what is in their mattresses and can tell you why each material is used and how durable it is rather than making meaningful comparisons more difficult.

4. Outlets who have a short supply chain and less ā€œmouths to feedā€ in between the manufacturing of the mattress and your purchase. Outlets who base their prices on the real cost of what is in the mattress and putting it together more than the stories or sales techniques that will convince you that a mattress is worth more than it really is.

For all these reasons and many more ā€¦ local independent mattress manufacturers who either sell factory direct to consumers or who sell wholesale directly through smaller sleep shops with knowledgeable staff are as a group the best source of quality and value in a mattress.

This is why finding the ā€œbestā€ outlet as a first step is more important than finding the best mattress (without having the real knowledge to do so). A knowledgeable manufacturer or sleep shop that carries mattresses that have real value, that you can trust to give you accurate information, and are focused more on educating their customers than they are on ā€œsellingā€ their customers, can turn mattress shopping from one of the most frustrating experiences into one that is actually enjoyable.

This is why I put the guidelines together that you can find here ā€¦ as a way to help people eliminate most of the worst choices of mattress value and outlets that focus more on selling you what they want you to buy (instead of helping you find what you want and need). This way you can put your efforts on finding out the better sources of knowledge, service, and value that will help you buy a mattress that will not only be suitable for your needs and preferences now but many years into the future.

If you let me know the city that you live in ā€¦ Iā€™d be happy to ā€œpoint youā€ to the types of manufacturers and outlets that I know of where you can find mattresses that will not only ā€œcompeteā€ with the mattresses you mentioned (the Serta iComfort line and the the Simmons NXG line) but will have real value based on the same or better materials and construction for a lower cost. They will show you HOW to choose the best mattress for YOU rather than steering you in the direction that they want you to go.

Just as an example ā€¦ the iComfort adjustable base is made by Ergomotion and has only minor variations of the Ergomotion 400 regular model here. This can at least give you a reference point for whether a feature like the ā€œzip fitā€ is really worth the premium you will likely pay for it.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: adjustablebeds.org/ergomotion_400_series_adjustable_bed_base_with_wireless_control_and_massage-7891.aspx

Phoenix

Please please help. I want to get a king adjustable bed. Memory foam mattress, I think. I read this post and the more I learn, the more confusing it is.

All the stores are having sales on mattresses until the first of the year and I want to get a bed this week. I looked at icomfort and others. Price is very important and the link above to ergomotion is very appealing to me. Looks like great prices but I donā€™t know about the quality and all. I am looking for plush not firm mattress. Tempurpedic seems too firm for me, at least the lower end ones. I am in Lafayette, Louisiana and I donā€™t think we have a factory direct mattress store.

Your advice is highly appreciated. Please help. Thanks.

Hi Yagottawanta,

Well today must be my day for looking at Louisiana mattress manufacturers :slight_smile:

First though I should tell you that ā€œmattress salesā€ at various chain stores and for mattresses made by major manufacturers are a gimmick that is meant to create a false sense of urgency in consumers. Quality mattresses can be purchased every day of the year and the ā€œsalesā€ that you hear advertised only change their name ā€¦ not the prices. All of the mattresses that advertise ā€œ50% offā€ ā€¦ or more are based on highly inflated ā€œsuggested retail pricesā€ that nobody ever pays.

In another thread today ā€¦ I listed a few factory direct mattress manufacturers in Baton Rouge that I had talked with and that made and sold high quality mattresses but when I saw your post I thought Iā€™d dig a little deeper into what was available in Lafayette ā€¦ and much to my surprise there is a factory dirrect manufacturer right there.

They are irwinsmattressmart.com/
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: irwinsmattressmart.com

I called them and they make any type of mattress you may want including memory foam, latex, and innersprings and they use good quality materials and construction methods that make sure that their mattresses last. They have also been around for a very long time. I talked with Scott who is the grandson of the original founder and is the third generation to work in the business.

You can go there any time you want and any day of the year and you will find better quality and value than anything that is available in the chain stores or from a major manufacturer. Of course you could still buy a mattress in the holidays but at least itā€™s nice to know that you wonā€™t have to to get the best quality and value.

The adjustable bed I linked to in a previous post is the same manufacturer that makes the iComfort adjustable bed and is the same quality with some minor differences in features. The 3 main adjustable bed brands that they sell (Ergomotion, Reverie, and Leggett and Platt) are the same manufacturers who supply almost all the adjustable beds that are sold in this country under various other names or in combination with many major brand mattresses. For example ā€¦ Reverie makes the adjustable bed which is sold by Tempurpedic (I purchased one of these from the outlet I linked to to go under my own latex mattress and itā€™s great)

So now I have to update the Louisiana thread to include a new discovery as well ā€¦ so thank you for posting and helping me to find another local manufacturer who is still making high quality mattresses at great prices :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your priceless information. I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed and that false sense of urgency to buy a mattress now.

I really appreciate the time you took to enlighten me and also the research you did in finding a local mattress manufacturer. I went out shopping yesterday and was not satisfied with what I found at my local chains. I will definately go to the outlet you found today.

I am going to slow down and take the time to decide on the correct choice for my husband and myself. We looked at latex beds yesterday and also I think we should get a split king adjustable. I am still not sure about memory foam or latex but I am going to see what I can learn at Irwinā€™s.

I will report what I find.

Thanks again.
yagottawanta

We were set on the iComfort Prodigy until I ran across this thread. Now I am overwhelmed and am not sure what to get. I sleep hot and so was opting for the iComfort. What are your suggestions to give me a similar feel to the Prodigy or perhaps another option that might be better for our situation. We tried the 2 lower end iComfort and they were too firm and the other 2 were too soft so the Prodigy was the best. We didnā€™t try any innerspring but are open to any good choices you may have for those as well.

I am 145 lbs and mostly a stomach sleeper but sometimes side. My husband is a back and stomach sleeper and is 200 lbs. We are 41. I add this because I know our mattress needs change as we get older. We both wake up with back pain on our 6YO Serta (I believe it is a Perfect Day, pd. $1400 for it).

We live in Rochester, MN. We would love to try before we buy, or Samā€™s club that has a good return policy. There is a local manufacturer of mattresses called Rest Assured. Do you have an opinion about them. THe web site is myrestassuredmattress.com

Thanks for your time!

Hi Nancycs,

There are several factory direct manufacturers within reasonable driving distance of you that I know of but http://myrestassuredmattress.com/ is the only one that is local. I havenā€™t talked with them but I have developed a good sense of the type of manufacturer that provides good quality and value and they definitely fit the profile. They appear to offer innerspring and memory foam options but I donā€™t see anything about latex on their website although it wouldnā€™t surprise me if they offered this as well. I would certainly pay them a visit as it is very likely that the quality and value here is better than the other outlets in your area.

ADDED: I have since had several lengthy conversations with Chuck and there is no doubt that he is ā€œmattress peopleā€ and makes high quality and value mattresses. They are also known and respected by other manufacturers I have talked with. I would make them my first stop if I was in the Rochester area.

The others are in the Minneapolis/St Paul area. They are ā€¦

http://www.restwellmattress.com/locations.asp Local factory direct manufacturer who makes a range of innerspring, memory foam, and latex mattresses that are transparent about their materials and have good value.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: restwellmattress.com/locations.asp

Find an Original Mattress Factory Store Regional factory direct manufacturer that makes a wide range of mattresses including innerspring, memory foam (just introduced) and latex that also use good quality materials and have good value. One of the larger factory direct manufacturers in the country.

Natural Mattress Co. A local mom and pop supplier in Crystal, MN that supplies mattress components including 5 different firmness levels of 3" Dunlop layers, wool batting, and mattress covers (including wool quilted) that you can put together at home. The work from their home where you can go to test different layer combinations. Since these are components only, you can build a mattress without a fire barrier.

There is a larger list in post #2 here that includes these and some additional local retailers.

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon at all for a 6 year old major brand mattress to cause discomfort as the foam softens and begins to break down creating alignment issues over the course of the night. This is one of the reasons I like more local or regional factory direct manufacturers because they use higher quality materials and better construction methods which results in much longer lasting mattresses with better value.

One other advantage of most local manufacturers is that they will make side to side ā€œsplitā€ construction mattresses where each side is built to the needs and preferences of different people. This can be really valuable as instead of having to compromise on what is best for both of you ā€¦ you can each choose a construction that is better suited to your individual needs and preferences.

Side and stomach sleeping is a particularly challenging combination because stomach sleepers typically need a firmer and thinner comfort layer with a firmer support layer underneath it to prevent the pelvic area from sinking in too far leading to a swayback position which can often cause back issues. The ā€œgoalā€ here is to use the thinnest and firmest possible comfort layers on the top of the mattress which alleviates pressure issues on your side so that you are in better alignment when on your stomach. Itā€™s important though not to go too thin or too firm (for the top layers) because that can lead to pressure issues when you sleep on your side so the ā€œthinnest and firmest that does the jobā€ is usually the best.

Memory foam is a non supportive foam because it will allow you to sink in more than other foams ā€¦ particularly with your heavier areas. It is all ā€œsoftā€ foam even though it often feels firm when you press it quickly or when it is cooler. If you do choose to go with memory foam ā€¦ I would make sure that it was not too thick because it will allow your pelvic area to sink in deeper than other foams. High quality polyfoam (HR grade) or high quality latex have what is called a higher support factor (they get firmer faster as you sink deeper into the foam) and are much better at adapting to different sleeping positions than memory foam however they have a much different feel. They are also cooler foams ā€¦ particularly latex ā€¦ than memory foams (although the gel memory foam is cooler than other types of memory foam).

Because your husband is heavier ā€¦ he will likely need a firmer comfort layer than you (firmer foam feels softer to heavier people than it does to lighter people) and perhaps a little thicker as well to accommodate his larger size and because he probably spends more time on his side than you do.

Most local manufacturers though are quite expert at ā€œfittingā€ a mattress to your weight and body shape, sleeping positions, and preferences and it is certainly more accurate to do this in person with someone who is good at this than to make more ā€œtypicalā€ suggestions based on averages which may not be suitable for your own unique needs.

I have no doubt that with the 3 choices you have within a reasonable distance (or even with the one that is local), it is unlikely that you will have to spend time at any of the mass marketing outlets or even buy a mattress from an online outlet such as Sams Club which is great because of the return policy but not so great in terms of actually knowing whether a particular mattress will be suitable for your needs and preferences and canā€™t be ā€œcustomizedā€ in the same way or offer a side to side split construction if it is needed.

Iā€™d certainly be interested in hearing about your experience with Rest Assured if you do pay them a visit.

Phoenix

Phoenix thank you for your quick response. After a lot of research on your site I have decided we will go with a inner spring. We are thinking of a pocket coil to help with motion transfer but we will check them all out.

I talked to Chuck (the owner) at Rest Assured and I am pleased with my conversation. He talked to me and invited me to come in. The thing that impressed me most is that if he doesnā€™t have what works for us he doesnā€™t want to sell us a mattress that we wonā€™t be happy with. I think customer satisfaction is his goal. I know when I go in he will not pressure us into buying a mattress to get a sale even if it isnā€™t the right one. I will let you know what happens when I visit him.

I think we will also visit the 2 that are just about an hour form us. We go there enough so it will not be out of our way. I want to get the best mattress for us so I want to check out the options.

THanks again!

Hi Nancycs,

Thanks for the feedback! They certainly had the feel of ā€œmattress peopleā€ which usually indicates low pressure, good knowledge, high quality, and good prices, itā€™s good to have you confirm that with personal experience.

When I have the chance I will make a point of talking with them to find out a little more about them but for now they certainly fit the profile of a good quality factory direct manufacturer.

Phoenix

I have been so confused about all the choices of mattresses. Ours is 20 years old and I am definitely feeling it. You posts have been very helpful as I have also been looking at the Icomfort although Iā€™m not sure I will like memory foam. Iā€™ve heard latex is more comfortable and since I have neck shoulder and back issues, I want to be sure I make the right choice. any suggestions? I have not found any dealers near me that have latex mattresses for me to try. I live in
Florence, South Carolina. Can you tell me if there is a dealer or manufacturer near me?
Thanks

Hi jmbramblett,

There are several local and regional manufacturers in the general area of Florence that sell factory direct although they are a bit of a drive away. These types of outlets are usually the best source of both quality and value. While they are some distance away ā€¦ it will probably save you time overall to call them first to get a good idea of what they make ā€¦ their prices ā€¦ and how helpful and knowledgeable they are and then choose to visit the ones that seem to offer the best combination of choices, knowledge, service and willingness to help you with good information on the phone. All of these make latex mattresses in various models.

https://www.bestmattress.net/ West Columbia, Columbia, SC. Local factory direct manufacturer.

https://www.thecharlestonmattress.com/ Charleston, Hilton Head island, SC. Local factory direct manufacturer

http://dilworthmattressfactory.com/ Charlotte, NC. Local factory direct manufacturer.

http://www.southernbeddingofcolumbia.com/ Columbia, SC. Local factory direct manufacturer

https://www.originalmattress.com/ Rock Hill, SC. Regional factory direct manufacturer

There are also a few options which may be more local to you so you donā€™t have to drive as far to try a latex mattress even though they may not have the same value as some of the more distant factory direct outlets.

Carolina Mattress Guild These are a regional manufacturer that only sells wholesale to retail outlets. they make latex mattresses and they will give you a list of any local outlets that carry them if you email them from their site.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: carolinamattressguild.com/

https://www.parrotts-furniture.com/ Florence, SC. This is a retail outlet that carries Jamison mattresses which include a variety of good quality latex models that donā€™t use polyfoam over the latex comfort layer. I called and they do carry several of their latex mattresses and they would also be well worth trying. All the Jamison specs are on the Jamison website.

https://www.knightfurnitureshowrooms.com/Default.aspx Florence, SC. This is a retail outlet that carries Restonic mattresses. I also called here to make surre that the Restonic latex models they carry donā€™t have any polyfoam over the latex and they donā€™t (Restonic is made differently in different areas of the country). They have a model which has a latex 6" core and a softer 2" latex comfort layer which may be well worth trying.

I had an interesting conversation today with one of the local stores (local to you) I called to see if they had any ā€œlatexā€ mattresses that you could try. She said ā€œsureā€. I asked for the details to see if it had any polyfoam in the mattress comfort layer and she got the spec sheet and read it to me. When she read the spec sheet to me ā€¦ I noticed there was a 2" layer of 1217 foam and I commented that the ā€œ1217ā€ foam over the latex was polyfoam (and there was more in the quilting as well). Her comment was ā€œI donā€™t know anything about foamā€. I said ā€œthank youā€ and ended the conversation thinking ā€œhow can someone be selling mattresses that knows nothing about foamā€. Unfortunately this is all too common in the industry. Iā€™m mentioning this just to give an example of how important it can be to only deal with outlets that truly know what is in every layer of their mattress and are knowledgeable about the different types of foam and mattress construction. 1217 foam is low quality foam and along with the other polyfoam in the mattress would be the weak link in the mattress and the source of soft spots and impressions over time. It just amazes me that people who sell mattresses like this can call it a ā€œlatex mattressā€.

If you have any questions along the way ā€¦ feel free to post them here. I hope this helps a bit.

Phoenix

This is great information. Thank you so much. I will definitely check out several that you mentioned and am glad to know that a few of the local dealers have latex in their stores. Iā€™m not surprised that the salesperson did not know what you were talking about. That seems to be the norm in a lot of stores. They are just there to sell the product. Iā€™ll keep you posted and again, thank you so much for your feedback.

I live in Sacramento CA and was looking at the icomfort Revolution as I like the plush beds and the memory foam. After reading through several posts I too am just as confused if not more than other people on here. I have an 8 year old sleep number with an adjustable base but am starting to sink in the middle of my bed where the divider is at. I have a queen size bed and am 6ā€™3" and 175 and I have no clue what I should be looking for. Firm beds donā€™t bode well with me and I usually sleep on my side and back. Phoenix can you please help me on where I should start looking? thanks

Hi 22bmarsh,

This thread should help you with some better outlets in the Sacramento area.

Because a mattress is primarily a comfort layer (or layers) over a support layer (or layers) surrounded by a cover ā€¦ it makes sense to first narrow down your search to the type of materials you prefer in each. It also makes sense to only buy a mattress from an outlet that has the knowledge and willingness to tell you what is in every layer of the mattresses that they sell and can show you how to tell the difference between high quality (more durable) and lower quality (less durable) versions of each material so you donā€™t end up buying a mattress that uses materials which feel great in a showroom but donā€™t keep that feel or their ability to relieve pressure or support you in good alignment over the long term. This is why when you are starting to look for a mattress one of the most important things you can do is to find the better outlets which are more focused on the materials in their mattress and ignore the rest which depend more on advertising stories and sales techniques than they do on factual information.

Better outlets will talk to you about the differences in materials and help you match a mattress to your needs and preferences rather than steering you in a direction which will do more for their profit or commission than it will for your long term satisfaction. In other words ā€¦ where you buy a mattress and the knowledge and helpfulness of the outlet and person you are dealing with can be one of the most important initial steps in your search. Knowing what to avoid can help you eliminate 75% (or more) of the worst choices so you can spend more time on the 25% (or less) which are worth your time and effort (and money) and this article will help you do just that.

Some of the materials you will find in comfort layers are here.

Some of the materials you will find in support layers are here.

The best suggestion is to spend some time at home on the phone to talk with some of the outlets on the Sacramento list. In the beginning ā€¦ ā€œinternet timeā€ and ā€œphone timeā€ is far more helpful than ā€œtravel timeā€ because it will help you narrow down which outlets are most worth visiting and which carry mattresses with the materials that you want to test. The ones that will provide the most helpful information about their mattresses on the phone including pricing rather than insist that you go there before they will give you any information are the ones that are most worth your travel time. What you are looking for is outlets that encourage comparison shopping based on their knowledge of materials in a mattress rather than the ones who do more to discourage it by focusing more on meaningless information and stories. A mattress is only as good or durable as its weakest link and without knowing what is in every layer of a mattress and the durability and qualities of different materials ā€¦ it becomes impossible to know how long any mattress will last ā€¦ no matter how it feels in a showroom.

Once you decide on a few better outlets to visit ā€¦

Decide (based on your own testing) on the type of materials you want in your comfort layers (or if you have tried your other options and are committed to memory foam as in the iComfort ā€¦ then limit your search to memory foam)

Decide on the type of support layers you want underneath this comfort layer (the iComfort for example uses HD polyfoam but you could also choose an innerspring or latex).

Test each ā€œcandidateā€ for pressure relief, spinal alignment, and preferences. Which is the ā€œbestā€ here will depend on your weight, body shape, sleeping positions, and preferences. There is only ā€œbest for youā€.

Compare the durability of the mattresses that are the best for you (from step 3) based on the quality of materials and construction that they use. This is (or should be) one of the main differences between different price ranges that use either different materials or different qualities of the same materials.

Decide on the best value between competing ā€œequalā€ choices based on an ā€œapples to applesā€ comparison.

All of this is much easier and much more enjoyable with the help of a good outlet where there is an ā€œexpertā€ who puts your best interests above their profit and will help you make meaningful comparisons rather than discourage it.

One final comment ā€¦ if when you are making your phone calls you feel pressure to buy based on ā€œtime limited salesā€ which will ā€œsoonā€ end or some other sense of false urgency ā€¦ pass them by. Great mattresses and great value is available from the better outlets 365 days of the year and these better outlets donā€™t depend on fake sales based on inflated prices or various other ā€œurgencyā€ techniques to sell their mattresses. They sell mattresses based on quality and value every day of the year.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

You have been so helpful in all of your posts. I stumbled across this forum last night after my husband and I were out shopping the iComfort Revolution. We currently have a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed and my husband has back pain every morning. He has adjusted it up, down, we put a foam topper, took off the foam topper, etc. It just doesnā€™t work for him.

After reading through a lot of the conversations, I believe what we need is a firmer latex mattress. I am 5ā€™3 110 lbs and my husband is 5ā€™3 140 lbs. I am primarily a back sleeper, sometimes side, and he is primarily a stomach sleeper, sometimes side.

Do you have any suggestions on our best place to shop latex mattresses here in the Baton Rouge, Louisiana or surrounding areas? Alsoā€“do you agree that we should be shopping for a firmer mattress, despite our initial desire to go with a soft, plush mattress?

Any recommendations that you have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi Mott,

I am not a fan of airbeds and this article goes into some details about why. Besides many other issues, air is an ā€œon or offā€ material without any progressive resistance and it has no ability to adjust itself to different sleeping positions. It will always compress as far as the bladder around it will allow. Materials that are more progressively resistant (such as innersprings, polyfoam, or latex) are far better as a support layer because they can naturally adjust themselves to changes in position without having to re-set the firmness of the support layer.

With your height/weight and sleeping positions ā€¦ itā€™s quite likely you will need a few inches of softer foam on top for pressure relief on your side. Under this you will need a support layer that can adjust itself to your different sleeping positions to both ā€œhelpā€ the comfort layers with side sleeping and to hold up your heavier parts and keep them in alignment in all your sleeping positions. Latex is an ideal material because it can be both soft with some compression and yet gets progressively firmer with deeper compression so it can be used in both the upper comfort layers and the support layers underneath. A good starting point for testing mattresses with your lighter weights and sleeping positions would be about 2-3" of softer latex (in the range of 19 ILD) over firmer latex in the support core (around 28 - 32 ILD). This is a little softer and thinner than a heavier person or a pure side sleeper would normally use. Of course this is just a starting point for testing mattresses and your own experience would ā€œadjustā€ both the firmness of the layers and the thickness of the comfort layers either up or down. In other words you would likely need a softer layer on top (for pressure relief) and a firmer layer under this (for support) and the ā€œartā€ of mattress shopping is to find the best combination for both. Some local manufacturers will also make each side of a mattress differently if the needs of 2 people are different enough to warrant it.

There are three and possibly four local factory direct manufacturers that I know about in Baton Rouge and when I talked with them all of them fit the profile of local manufacturers that I like.

https://www.manta.com/c/mm42vf7/wholesale-mattress-factory They are run by a 72 year ā€œyoungā€ guy that carries a wide range of mattresses on his floor and will make just about anything. In his own words ā€¦ ā€œhe is cheaper and better than any majorā€ and of course this is almost always the case with any factory direct manufacturer. Open, direct, and knowledgeable. Has no website and probably wonā€™t until his son takes over the business. EDIT: they now have a website http://www.wholesalemattressfactory.com/

http://www.capitalbed.com/ (AKA https://www.pelicanmattress.com/) Also makes a wide range of mattresses including Dunlop latex and sells mostly wholesale to local outlets but will also sell to anyone who walks through the door (and I think they would be a good place to do just that :)) although of course he wonā€™t ā€œundercutā€ the already good prices of the retail outlets he supplies. Another local manufacturer that is knowledgeable, transparent and has good value.

http://www.istroumamattressfactory.com/ They are a 75 year old manufacturer that both makes and repairs mattresses. Another ā€œold timeā€ smaller (2 man) manufacturer who has been in business for decades. They manufacture a range of mattresses of using higher quality materials including traditional innerspring/polyfoam, memory foam, and latex hybrids.

A couple of retailers that may also be worth a visit and the manufacturers they carry I would focus on (although you would need to make sure that you are able to find out the specifics of the materials inside any mattress you are considering) are ā€¦

https://www.aamattressbr.com/ Gonzales, Zachary, LA. Pure Latex Bliss Talalay latex and latex hybrids.

https://www.beddingplusmattress.com/ Baton Rouge and others in the area. Jamison

https://www.furnituremarts.com/locations.aspx Baton Rouge and others in the area. Golden, Restonic

There is also a 4th local manufacturer in Lafayette for those who may want to include them in your research and/or take the drive ā€¦

Irvinā€™s Mattress I talked with Scott who is the 3rd generation of family ownership and they are making mattresses of all types including memory foam, talalay latex, and innersprings and use better quality materials and construction methods than you will see in typical chain stores and major brands. I guess Baton Rouge isnā€™t the only local manufacturing happening in Louisiana.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: irwinsmattress.com

I personally would spend my time with these as I would seriously doubt if any other outlets in Baton Rouge would have the same combination of knowledge, quality, and value. If I come across others in or near Baton Rouge in the course of my research Iā€™ll certainly add to the list in this thread.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for all your help. I called all over today and went to the local places in Sacramento since theyā€™re right down the street from where I work. I think Iā€™m going to choose a latex over anything else as they are amazingly comfortable and plush. The next question I have is what do I choose in a latex mattress? I like the talalay mattress but I donā€™t know how much of it I need to use as the core and base. If you could please direct me into the right direction that would be great. Also, to anyone that reads the forums Phoenix does a great job in actually calling the places as of most of the places I went to actually have talked to him and received a call right after I posted my first post. :slight_smile:

Hi 22bmarsh,

A ā€œtypicalā€ construction for a latex mattress would be about 2" to 3" of talalay latex over a support system which could be either an innerspring, or about 6" or so of Polyfoam, Dunlop latex or Talalay latex. The reason talalay is a common choice on top is because it has a more consistent feel and can be made in softer versions than Dunlop latex providing better pressure relief. Having said that there are some people who prefer Dunlop and there is no right and wrong here.

Actual testing of a mattress for pressure relief (discovering the thickness and softness of the comfort layers that works best for you) and alignment (the choices between different types and firmnesses of the support system) along with personal preferences is the most accurate way of deciding what is best for each person ā€¦ particularly if you have the help of someone who is good at knowing what your feedback points to in terms of the layers that would work best for you. Local manufacturers that make mattresses every day are usually very good at this and have trained their staff very well.

Typically side sleepers would do well to start their testing with a comfort layer in the range of 3-4", back sleepers in the range of 2-3" and more ā€œpureā€ stomach sleepers in the range of 1-2". Heavier weights generally do better with firmer foams while lighter weights tend to do better with softer foams. Thatā€™s because the heavier a person is the more they will sink in and foams in general will feel softer to them.

The support material needs to ā€œhold upā€ your heavier parts to keep your spine in alignment and each of the most common choices (innersprings, polyfoam, and latex) will have a different feel ā€¦ even though they can all work well. The higher quality the material and the bigger range of response ā€¦ the greater range of sleeping positions and weight ranges a given material can work with. Of course the better materials are also more costly. While there is a range of quality and expense in each type of material or support layer ā€¦ generally you can expect polyfoam to be the lowest cost ā€¦ a good quality innerspring to be next ā€¦ Dunlop and blended Talalay to be next and natural Talalay to be the most expensive material.

This overview along with this page about your sleeping positions and this page about your ā€œstatisticsā€ go into more detail.

The easiest way of course is to read enough so you have a general idea (and most of the appropriate information is in the mattresses section of the website) and then take advantage of someone elsesā€™ expertise who has been helping ā€œfitā€ people to a mattress for many years. The more they know and the more willing they are to help you ā€¦ the less you have to know or become an ā€œexpertā€ yourself. This is one of the biggest advantages of dealing with a factory direct manufacturer or sleep shop.

So hopefully I havenā€™t overwhelmed you with reading but knowing some of the basics can help an ā€œexpertā€ to help you much more effectively.

Phoenix

How can I find out the ILD of the polyfoam support layer/base of the major brand names making memory foam mattresses?
I know you donā€™t feel the icomfort represents the best value, but it is the line Iā€™m considering currently.(the insight)
I prefer 2.5"-3" on top, no more though.
I prefer the laminated layers and the decent warranty with the Tempurā€™s and iComfortā€™s.(0.75" depression replacement)

If I could get a laminated version from a local manufacturer I would, but there doesnā€™t seem to be any in the Lehigh Valley.(Allentown-Bethlehem PA)

I am a side sleeper(90%) and back(10%).
I am a male, 5ā€™8"-140lbs.
Dislocated C3 and C4.
I will be getting an appropriately sized memory foam pillow as well after choosing my mattress as my current cotton/2.5lb density mem foam @ 1.5" made by me pillow is much too thin after a years use.

I did like the top layer of the gel memory foam, although I do not have an issue with sleeping warm on memory foam like some.

The latex Iā€™ve tried was much too springy for my personal sleeping taste. Although that was only the Sleep Options line with China pouring.

TIA!!

I also put a deposit down on an icomfort bed tonight but am second guessing the purchase now that I have read your posts. I have been having significant problems sleeping for quite some time now. Tossing and turning all night long, waking up with headaches, pain in my neck and sore elbows from trying to prop up my pillow under my head. I went to the mattress shop tonight thinking I needed a new pillow but it would seem that my mattress is too firm for me and that is more likely the problem. I live in Alberta, Canada so I donā€™t have as many options but I have been doing some investigating online and I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on a couple of mattresses. I am 5ā€™8" and weigh 135 lbs, my husband is 6ā€™3" and 215. He has also had some lower back problems off and on over the past few years. We also have a king size bed.
FYI The icomfort bed would cost us $1700 and maybe a little less since I know someone who works at the store.

https://en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/ I was thinking the cumulus model

I know I am new here, but from what I have gathered the issue with the iComfort lineup is the foundationā€¦NOT the mattress.
The foundation is poorly constructed with weak material and large gaps which could easily be the cause of the premature sagging. I would advise adding a 1/4"-1/2" piece of mdf wood or buying a platform bed instead, with just the iComfort mattress.

I am deciding between an iComfort Insight on a platform or a Tempur-Cloud on either a platform or Tempurpedicā€™s foundation and metal frame. I have been told by the significant other that I have 24hrs to go, haha.