The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Phoenix,

So I got a topper but it was a plush topper and I have to say my bac and sleep has gotten a lot better. This was all in thanks to Patrick who recommended that since I was used to having a pillow top this would give me the best sleep possible as well as having all the support I needed. Hope this helps and thanks to all of your help.

Phoenix- I wanted to let you know that after all the research I finally broke down and purchased the Restonic Latex. The first night I slept on it I only slept for two hours since I was not use to this type of mattress and I was so scared I had made the wrong decision. By the second night I fell in love with this mattress. Itā€™s like laying on a cloud and provides support for all of the pressure points. Iā€™ve now had it for over a month and am so glad I took the time to research.
Thank you so much for your help Jill

Hi 22bmarsh,

Thatā€™s great news! I guess that your body just needed the feel of the old mattress with a little better support :slight_smile:

Patrick also gets 5 stars in my book for coming up with a solution and working with you till you were happy.

Phoenix

Hi jmbramblett,

Congratulations on your new mattress!

It often takes a few weeks to adjust to a new mattress and you managed to do it in a day. I guess thatā€™s piece of good news number 2 :slight_smile:

It always feels so good to finish all the research and testing and actually get to lay down and go to sleep.

Phoenix

WOW! What an awesome website!

Kudos to you Phoenix (great name as i was born there)ā€¦you run a great show.

I need your help: I live the Dallas area and am in the market for a new king mattress set. Started looking at innersprings then we tested out a foam mattress. Hated the Tempurpedic.

Liked the King Koil Elara set @ Rooms to Go but cannot find any intel on this mattress. Ready to pull the trigger on an Icomfort Insight king set from Samā€™s for $1700 (delivery and $200 gift card promo) but then stumbled upon your website.

Now, I am really confused. :slight_smile:

I am a 260 lb side sleeperā€¦sleep HOT and wake up with stiffness and back pain from our current cruddy mattressā€¦wife is 125 lbs, stomach/sider and needs to be bundled up. Semi-firm comfort level.

Now am wondering about your latex vs. foam suggestions as well as a earlier recommendation to check out Sleep Craft, a local manufacturer.

Budget: up to $1700-$1900

1. Any intel on King Koil Elara?
  2. Any mattress suggestions vs. our sleeping habits?
  3. any other DFW manufacturers?
  4. Any pillow suggestions?

BTWā€¦what do YOU sleep on??

Chip in Dallas

Hi Chill,

Thanks for the comments :slight_smile:

Do you have a link to the Elara? I didnā€™t see a King Koil model with this name and the only ā€œElaraā€ I could find is a Simmons which you can see here. It uses lower quality foam (the base is only 3 lb memory foam and 1.65 lb polyfoam) and the upper comfort layers uses P50 foam (which is @1.5 lb). I would avoid this one completely if this is the mattress you meant.

You can see my thoughts on all the iComfort models here (in case you havenā€™t see it).

Wide weight differentials can be particularly tricky. Because of your weight ā€¦ I would focus on higher quality materials in the comfort layers in particular. With sleeping hot added to the equation ā€¦ I would also tend to avoid memory foam or at the very least use the coolest memory foams available. Several options for these types of situation would be to use a comfort layer where there are several layers instead of just one layer. This is because whatwill feel soft for someone that is heavier will often feel firm for someone who is lighter. If you were to use for example 2" of softer material and 2" of medium material on top ā€¦ then the entire 4" would be your comfort layer and then firmer layers below this would act as your support layer. Because of your wifeā€™s lighter weight the 2" of medium material may act more as a support layer (the medium would ā€œactā€ soft for you but would 'act" firm for her) which may give both of you the pressure relief and support you need. The other option would be to use ā€œsplitā€ layering where each side of a mattress was layered differently for each of you. These are not ā€œspecificā€ suggestions (in terms of the specific layer thickness that may work best for you) but ideas that are meant to show how a mattress can be layered that can be suitable for two people with very different needs and preferences.

Some general guidelines that may help avoid most of the ā€œworstā€ choices and help focus on the better choices (in terms of quality and value) in mattress shopping are here.

The overviews in the mattresses section of the site would be well worth reading to get a general idea of the materials used in mattresses and the types of layering that may work best for different combinations of weight and sleeping positions. Pages that include some general ā€œweight guidelinesā€ are here and for ā€œsleeping positionā€ guidelines are here.

There are quite a few options in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area but you will find the ones that I believe are your better choices in post #2 here.

The ā€œpillow threadā€ is here

I sleep on a 2 sided talalay latex mattress made by one of the manufacturing members of the site (see the Dallas thread I linked previously). I added a note to the comments in the Dallas thread because I donā€™t believe they offer talalay latex any more.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix, I am located in South Central PA near York PA. I am a side or stomach sleeper 6 foot tall about 260lbs, my fiance is 5 foot 3 about 130 lbs. We are in the market for a new mattress. Of all the mattresses we have tested out there were two we really liked the Serta iComfort Revolution King, and the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe in King. I care about the mattress and its comfort as I sometimes have lower back pain from past sports injuries. My fiance cares about sleeping cool and comfort as well as an adjustable base. My question is: are there comparable mattresses that fit our two choice profiles above and are more affordable? Especially with an adjustable base the Temurpedic is around $7000 and the Serta iComfort around $5,000. I need to buy one soon and I am looking at all the options. We have considered Costco but there is no store near enough and I have not tried them out. Could we/should we buy the mattress and shop elsewhere for a more affordable adjustable base? Any insight and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi GVSourkas,

The three factory direct manufacturers that are closest to you are ā€¦

Magic Sleeper and https://www.mattressandfurniturestore.com/ Pottstown (or Pottsdown), PA. Local factory direct manufacturer that makes a range of good quality and value mattresses including two sided innerspring mattresses and a number of latex and latex hybrid options. Family owned and good people. They also make custom designs and sizes and and they are also a member of this site.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: magicsleeper.net/

Furniture RowĀ®. Real Furniture. Real Value. York. Regional factory direct manufacturer. They make a range of mattresses of all types with good value (they also carry other brands which I would avoid). they may not carry their latex models (as of about t months ago but that may have changed).

https://www.verlo.com/ West Chester. Regional factory direct manufacturer. they also carry a wide range of mattresses of all types with good value. See post #17 here for some feedback about the West Chester outlet.

I would focus my attention on these three as itā€™s unlikely you will find better value or selection at other stores in the general area.

I purchased my adjustable base here and they have the best value that I know of. Serta is the Ergo with a few minor options added and the Reverie (which I purchased because I thought it was the best combination of features and value) is the manufacturer of the Tempurpedic base.

There are quite a few pages on the site which should help give you a few guidelines.

This article will help you avoid most of the lower value choices so you can focus more on the outlets which have better knowledge, service, and most importantly value. Local manufacturers almost always use better quality materials and sell for lower prices than the larger national brands which I would avoid completely.

Post #11 here has an analysis and review on the iComfort lineup.

Tempurpedic are high quality memory foam mattresses but are also significantly overpriced IMO compared to equally high quality (or better) mattresses made by smaller manufacturers.

I would also read the overviews that are in the mattresses section of the website to gain a bit of general knowledge about the materials and construction of a mattress as it will help you in your search.

This page has some guidelines that are connected to weight and this page has some guidelines connected to sleeping positions.

With stomach sleeping itā€™s especially important to make sure that the comfort layer isnā€™t too thick and that you have a firm support layer as well to prevent swayback. The Revolution is probably one of the least suitable mattresses for your weight and sleeping position and it would put you at real risk of worsening your back pain (your pelvis would likely sink in too far and hyperextend your back into a swayback position). Memory foam as a group is also quite tricky and I would seriously consider latex which is just as pressure relieving but far less risky for back issues. If you do decide to go with memory foam ā€¦ I would use the highest quality possible (5 lbs and up) because with your weight a lower density memory foam will wear out much more quickly (including the 4 lb memory foam in the Cloud Luxe). Memory foam is also the hottest of all foams and regular polyfoam is cooler and latex is the coolest of all.

So overall I would take a little time to do some reading on the site ā€¦ ask questions as you come across them ā€¦ and put your focus on local manufacturing and definitely test the feel of latex as it would fit what you are looking for much better and would be far more durable than any memory foam.

Phoenix

Hello,

I live in Boca Raton Florida and Iā€™ll buy a memory foam mattress soon.
Iā€™m looking for quality and comfort, I just tried the iconfort Revolution and I believe the price is too high. BJā€™s has the Sleep Innovations Queen-Size 12" Supreme Elegance Memory Foam Mattress for 859.99 but Iā€™m not sure what to do.
If there is any better choice please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi acump,

IMO, the most important part of choosing a memory foam (or any other) mattress is the ability to find out the quality and type of foam that is inside it. Without this information there is no way to make meaningful comparisons with any other mattress. Post #10 here includes some guidelines that I think are good to follow when choosing a memory foam mattress. Without filling in the missing information about the foams used in the Supreme Elegance ā€¦ I personally wouldnā€™t consider it.

I also believe that in most cases the best quality and value in a mattress is found with local manufacturers who sell factory direct or smaller sleep shops who carry ā€œalternativeā€ brands (smaller national, regional, or local manufacturers). Here too though, knowing what is in your mattress and the ability and willingness of the outlet to tell you this information is a major part of choosing which outlet I would put my focus on and is one of the key ways to identify better outlets.

Some of the factory direct outlets in your area that I would include in my research are in post #2 here.

Feel free to keep the questions coming as you come across them.

Phoenix

Hi, I was looking to see if someone could help me answer some questions I had.

I went to a Mattress firm and tried out the iComfort mattress and thought it was pretty good. Especially with the motion perfect base which I fell in love withā€¦ (I believe thatā€™s the name)

I searched for reviews and came across this forumā€¦ I have scanned around several posts and have learned a little bitā€¦

First and foremost I am in a wheelchair and my weight is about 220 and I am a back and left side sleeper.
I read in one post that you mentioned Adjustable beds orgā€¦ I really believe I am going to get Reverie Deluxe (REV9981)

Now, Iā€™m lost in even which mattress to begin to look at. Would any mattress be compatible with the Reverie base? Would you be able to suggest or recommend any style of mattresses to try out? I do get hot when I sleep. Also, I believe if I were to get a big foamy, foamy mattress I would sink into the bed to much and might be a little harder for me to turn to my side.
I understand it is an important investment but I was looking to stay under $1,500 for the mattressā€¦ if needed or simply feels amazing I could go up in priceā€¦
Any factory direct places or stores you would recommend within 60 miles of McAllen, TX 78501

If you have any questions for me, please ask away.
Thanks

xps24,

I think that perhaps the best place you could start is to read the guidelines on this page. This will help you avoid most of the common traps and pitfalls of mattress shopping and likely lead you away from the chain stores (like mattress firm) and the major brands (like Serta) and help you focus on the much higher quality and value that is usually available from local factory direct manufacturers or sleep shops that sell smaller alternative brands.

The motion perfect is basically the Ergomoton 400 at adjustablebeds.org with a few minor enhancements. I personally bought the Reverie Deluxe because the value was a little better although both would have made good choices. Reverie makes all the bases for Tempurpedic.

There is an analysis and review of the entire iComfort lineup in post #11 here.

There are some innerspring mattresses which can be used with an adjustable base (the outlet will tell you if they are suitable) but they are usually used with either memory foam mattress or latex mattresses which would all work fine on an adjustable base if they have a foam core (instead of an innerspring).

Some good basic information that may be worth reading just to give you some general information that will help you clarify some of the ā€œmysteryā€ about mattresses are in the overviews in the mattresses section of the site. I would scan these rather than ā€œstudyā€ them so you can ask better questions.

There is a regional factory direct maufacturer in your area called Denver Mattress which carries a range of mattresses that would likely have better quality and value than most of the other choices in your area. I would focus on the brands they make rather than the major brands that they also carry and in particular I would look at the Aspen and the Snowmass which are latex mattresses which have good value. With your weight ā€¦ the firmer Snowmass may be a better choice between the two if you are comfortable with the pressure relief, support, and the overall feel of the mattress.

Another option I would consider if you are comfortable with the idea is to consider a purchase from one of our manufacturing members that make mattresses with much better quality and value than are available in many areas of the country and specialize in shipping anywhere across the country. They are all highly skilled in helping you make good choices and many of them allow you to actually choose the layers of foam in your mattress to best suit your needs and preferences. Some time spent on the phone with these (and they are listed in post #21 here) telling them about your needs and preferences will help you a great deal whether you choose to go in this direction or not. Not all of these would be within your budget range but some of them definitely would and they are all much better quality and value than mattresses that most people in a similar budget range or even much higher would typically end up purchasing.

[quote]I do get hot when I sleep. Also, I believe if I were to get a big foamy, foamy mattress I would sink into the bed to much and might be a little harder for me to turn to my side.
I understand it is an important investment but I was looking to stay under $1,500 for the mattressā€¦ if needed or simply feels amazing I could go up in priceā€¦[/quote]

Of the two main types of specialty foams that you will find in mattresses (memory foam and latex) ā€¦ latex tends to be much cooler and is also much more motion friendly (it doesnā€™t have a ā€œmemoryā€ that can make movement more difficult). It is also the most durable and supportive generally available. I would tend to stay away from thick layers of polyfoam in the upper layers of your mattress because this tends to be lower quality and breaks down faster than higher quality foams. A layer of softer foam in the range of about 3" (either memory foam or latex) over a firmer layer for good support would be typical for someone of your weight and sleeping position. Depending on your preferences and pressure relief needs ā€¦ a medium soft top layer in the range of 24 - 28 ILD may work well. Your experience on the Aspen and the Snowmass may also help provide a guideline for the type of comfort layer that works for you.

Relax2Sleep is retail outlet that carries Sterling Sleep and Natura both of which make some high quality mattresses. While they will likely be outside of your budget ā€¦ they can provide some helpful guidelines about the type of mattress that may work for you if you decide on an online purchase.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: relax2sleep.net

Hope this helps and feel free to post any questions or comments along the way.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I really appreciated your fast response.

I was able to make a trip to Denver Mattress today, I tried out the Queen Snowmass with a Ergomotion 300 series base. I liked it very much. Iā€™m confused on whether to get the reverie or ergomotionā€¦ The Reverie says the head part goes up 70 degreesā€¦ On the Ergomotion faq page it states it goes up 70 degrees, but does not state which model. That 70degrees is very important to me. I wanted to ask if you could help me out by telling me the differences between an Reverie Deluxe($1228) and the Ergomotion 300($1,199)?

I did prefer the Snowmass over the Aspen, the price is $1,129 for a Queenā€¦ Is that a ok to good price on this mattress? The Construction materials being:
Quilt Layers:
Stretch Knit Ticking
1" 1.8lb High Density Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier

Comfort Layers:
2" Talalay Latex

Support System:
6" Talalay Latex Core
2" 1.8lb High Resilient Foam

Also, the ā€œsales manā€ did recommend buying a Perfect Harmony Isocool ($99) which he stated would prolong the mattresses life a little longer by absorbing sweat and moisture from my body before it would get to the mattress itself and keeps you very cool which intrigued me.
He also mentioned that he could not lower the prices on any of the featured productsā€¦ Only 15% on accessoriesā€¦ Even if I paid cash which I found oddā€¦ Is that normal on their own brands or have you heard that they do lower the prices a bit?

Can you please let me know your opinion on these prices and items I am looking to purchase? Just not sure about which adjustable base to get right nowā€¦

Thank you very much

Hi xps24,

Iā€™m not familiar with the Ergomotion 300 (the Ergomotion website says itā€™s not available in North America in spite of the fact that Denver Mattress seems to be carrying it). I did however test out the Ergomotion 400 which I believe is similar. I personally bought the Reverie Deluxe because I thought it had better overall value. The ergo models at that time only went to 60 degrees so I donā€™t know if that has changed (many sites still say 60). The head raised a little higher than the Ergo (again I donā€™t know if this is still true), the massage was a little better, and the weight capacity was a little higher (550 lbs vs 500 lbs including the mattress). The weight limits would be per single unit and a split unit would have double the capacity (this came directly from communications with Reverie). The Reverie Deluxe is available for $1099 with no shipping or tax from here (this is where I bought mine).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: olejostores.com/reverie_deluxe_adjustable_bed_with_wireless_control_and_massage-9981.aspx

The price for the Snowmass is very good for a mattress that has 8" of latex and if you tested it for pressure relief and alignment and you like the feel of it ā€¦ the value is excellent.

I would avoid a mattress protector with thick layers of polyester fibers. They will compress and also reduce the feel of the latex. While a mattress protector is an essential part of your sleeping system ā€¦ there are many better choices IMO. If you do a forum ā€œtitle searchā€ (click forum search and then ā€œsearch titles onlyā€) on ā€œprotectorā€ or ā€œcoverā€ (without the quotes) there are many posts with a lot of information about the tradeoffs involved in a choice of mattress protector. I would tend to go with wool such as the Dormeir (much more breathable and temperature regulating but will affect the feel of the mattress a little more) or a thinner stretchable breathable/waterproof protector (which is less breathable but in most cases will affect the feel of the mattress a little less).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: flobeds.com/products/2140CK/Pad/Accessory/Wool-Mattress-Pad/Cal-King-72"-x-84"

This is the ā€œnormā€ with most reputable factory direct manufacturers who donā€™t run fake sales like most of the mainstream outlets and run on smaller profit margins. There quality and value every day of the year is far better than the best of the ā€œsale pricesā€ that you see so heavily advertised elsewhere. Outlets that heavily discount their mattresses and run continuous sales are good places to avoid. Nobody ever pays their ā€œregularā€ prices which are outrageously high and only listed to make their sale prices look better than they really are. You wonā€™t find a similar mattress (using similar materials) or anything close to it at a major outlet for anywhere near that price regardless of a sale or your ability to ā€œnegotiateā€ (another gimmick in mass market outlets that makes buyers feel good because they think they got an even better deal).

Phoenix

Thank you so much for this post! My wife and I were all set to buy an iComfort mattress when I found this topic. Weā€™ve since come to apperciate the ā€œwonders of latexā€ and are actually en route to OK Mattress right now to build us a perfect bed. :slight_smile: Iā€™d ask your advice, but after spending a few days reading through all the info and Q/As youā€™ve already provided, we feel like we know exactly what to look for. So instead, we just wanted to express our gratitude for all the time and effort you put into this! Weā€™re telling everyone we know about this site!

Hi cagezero,

Thanks for your kind comments ā€¦ and you sure do make my job easier when you already have a good idea of what you are looking for :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to any ongoing feedback you may choose to share about your experiences and choices.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Yesterday my wife and I tried out a variety of different latex layer combinations at OK Mattress. Jim (the owner) and all his staff were extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. He spent a lot of time swapping out layers for us to lay on and talking to us about the ins and outs of latex. During this process we were able to try some layer combinations that were finished (laminated with ticking) and some that were unfinished (loosely stacked with no ticking). Jim advised us that an unfinished layer combination would feel significantly firmer when finished. This difference in test cases has left us with a little bit of uncertainty as to what mattress will truly be best for us.

My wife and I both weigh between 140 and 170lbs. She is 5ā€™2 and I am 5ā€™10. She mostly sleeps on her stomach, sometimes on her back. I sleep mostly on my back, sometimes on my stomach and every now and then on my side. I also have a history of back and neck problems, and have sleep apnea.

We found that we both enjoyed a finished mattress constructed of layers 2" firm, 6" medium, and 2" soft, but also enjoyed the plusher feel of stacked, unfinished 6" firm and 3" soft layers. Iā€™m concerned, however, that the support offered by the 3"/6" combo might be too much by the end of the night. Weā€™re considering (but didnā€™t get to try) a 3" firm, 4" medium, and 3" soft as a compromise between plushness and support. Given our situation, do you think weā€™re on the right track with a 3"/4"/3"?

The latex at OK Mattress has the following ILD ratings:
firm = 32 - 35 ild
medium = 24 - 25 ild
soft = 17 - 19 ild

Any advice you might have will be greatly appreciated!

Hi cagezero,

Itā€™s no surprise that what they are telling you is accurate because they have been making mattresses for a very long time :slight_smile:

Loose layers act softer than laminated layers because each layer acts a little more independently and can compress and pull inwards more without being ā€œheld backā€ as much by the layers above and below it.

Mattress ticking/quilting can also have a big effect on the final feel and properties of a mattress. Some of the reasons for this includes the type of material used and how stretchy it is ā€¦ how tight it is and how much it compresses the foam inside the mattress (making it firmer) ā€¦ the quilting pattern and quilting materials used (looser quilting patterns are softer and compressed fibers are firmer than softer fibers or foam), and the construction methods used. An unfinished layering will generally be the softest version of that particular layer combination because there is nothing to make it firmer.

Given your heights/weights and sleeping positions ā€¦ my tendency would be to go with a 2" top layer in the layering you mentioned mainly because this would put you closer to the support layers underneath and could provide better alignment particularly on your stomach and to a lesser degree your back. A medium 6" layer in between will ā€œhelpā€ the comfort layers when you are on your side but also firm up quickly past a certain point to help with alignment as well.

If you are testing two mattresses that are roughly comparable in terms of how they feel ā€¦ then the slightly firmer choice is usually better for the long term. Too soft or thick is very difficult to ā€œfixā€ while a layer that turns out to be a little too thin or firm can be easily be ā€œfixedā€ with a thin topper.

Overall though ā€¦ Oklahoma mattress will have a lot of experience with the difference between loose layers and their final product and also with fitting a mattress to the needs and preferences of their customers. If there is ever a ā€œconflictā€ between someone who gives ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ without the ability to actually see how you interact with a mattress and someone who has the knowledge and skill from many years of making mattresses and can actually see you lying on a mattress and hear your feedback in real time ā€¦ there is no doubt that i would go with the recommendations of the local manufacturer.

Phoenix

You appear to spend a lot of time on this forum, and it appears there are a lot of us that are thankful you do!

I started looking for a mattress and went to buy a Sleep Number based on a friendā€™s recommendation. I actually did purchase it, but then cancelled the purchase after realizing the model I chose did not have their 30-night free trial.

Having just been diagnosed with moderate to severe stenosis and ā€œextrusionsā€ of my back, I started doing some online research on mattresses. It appeared the memory foam was the recommended mattress for back problems, so I visited a store and was researching the Tempurpedic Cloud series. I was concerned about how hot they can feel, and doing further research led me to the gel memory foam mattresses. Then I came upon your mattress forum, and am thankful I did before spending over $4000 on a mattress and adjustable base.

I saw your post on the adjustable base you purchased, so thank you for that. Now Iā€™m pretty confused about all the types of mattresses and where to buy, etc. Iā€™m in the Phoenix, AZ area and I know there are a lot of local mattress dealers here but not sure of manufacturers. I just did an on-line chat with a company called ā€œsimply-rest.comā€ which does online sales only. I do not want to buy a mattress online without having tried it out first. I researched latex mattresses after reading this forum, but it sounds like thereā€™s all sorts of things to check out.

I am 60 years old, 5ā€™6" and 230 pounds, and have had numerous abdominal surgeries. I toss and turn every night. My sleeping preference used to be my stomach, but after all the surgeries, I alternate between both sides, stomach, and back. Now with the back problems, I really want to purchase the best that I can and am willing to spend the money. But as you point out, spending the money isnā€™t necessarily the best thing.

Although I know itā€™s good to have a trial period, I would prefer to get the bed I want on the first try. Between my own health issues I also take care of my mother, who is under hospice care at home, so it is difficult to get out and go very many places.

Your assistance would be invaluable and greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance for any recommendations you can give.

Hi dottie,

You are fortunate to be in Phoenix as there are several very high quality and knowledgeable factory direct manufacturers nearby including two of the members of this site (meaning I consider them to be among the best of the independent manufacturers in the country) which offer great quality and value and perhaps more importantly have a lot of knowledge in fitting a mattress to an individualā€™s needs and preferences. This thread and post #4 here should be very helpful.

I would not order online when there are such great options available locally that have better quality and value and that you can personally test. If you want to keep your choices down for the sake of time ā€¦ I would focus my efforts on the two manufacturers that are members here.

In cases like yours ā€¦ memory foam can be very tricky because not only is pressure relief very important (which memory foam like latex does very well), spinal alignment can be even more important and the many different types of memory foam layering options can mean the difference between a mattress that can work well for you and a mattress that doesnā€™t work well at all (usually too thick in the comfort layers or support layers that are not the best for you). Memory foam is only a pressure relieving material and if the layers are too thick or otherwise unsuitable for your particular needs or the support system under the memory foam isnā€™t what you need ā€¦ it can cause more harm than good.

The Gel memory foams are also an emerging category and there are several different types, some of which are better than others. In general ā€¦ I would tend to avoid the types of gel memory foams that use gel particles mixed in the memory foam (like the icomfort) as particles added to memory foam can weaken the memory foam. There is an analysis and review of the iComfort lineup in post #11 here (none of which have good value) and a brief overview of the different types of gel memory foam options in post #26 here.

Hope this helps ā€¦ and I only wish that the rest of the country had local choices that were as good as yours.

Phoenix

1 Like