The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi wampish,

The iComfort gel memory foam is 4 lbs. There were some initial specs based on shipping weight where I initially calculated it to be 5 lbs but this was not accurate and overstated its quality. Of course it is “particulate” gel memory foam which I believe is less durable than the types where the gel is mixed in the memory foam as a liquid (see post #2 here for the different types of gel foams).

This is actually 1.5 inches (not lbs) and is probably their name for Talalay latex which is a good quality material.

The specs you received from Mays indicates that the 5 lb memory foam is good quality but I would want to know the layer thicknesses, the type of gel memory foam (the density is similar to the icomfort), the density of the Luratex memory foam (I believe it’s in the range of 3 lb which is lower quality) and the density of the HD polyfoam base. Both the amount and quality of the layers is important to make a meaningful value comparison. If the gel foam is also a particulate type then the memory foam and gel foam is the same quality/density as the iComfort but how they compare in layer thickness and in the quality of the other layers is unknown. In my experience … May can be fairly costly.

Two of the best sources I know of for adjustable bases are …

Part of Select Foam which is a member here and offers a 5% discount on most of their adjustable beds to forum members as well

https://www.adjustablebeds.org/ Carries most of the most popular brands at good prices.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: adjustabeds.com/

There is more about adjustable bed comparisons in this thread.

The Serta Motion Perfect is basically an ErgoMotion 400 in terms of function with a few extra features (such as the mattress attachment and the matching look) but it carries a significant premium for such minor differences.

Phoenix