The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi Phoenix!! No problem! I figured that was the case so thought I would try again!! We are in 46062 zip code or Indianapolis area. Thanks so much!!

Hi wanpish,

Post #2 here has the better choices Iā€™m aware of in the Indianapolis area.

Thanks for narrowing down the area :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks! So Mays is one we checked out. They say their Heavenly Comfort is similar to the icomfort renewal refined. They give specifics for 2 parts of their foam, but not the rest. Hereā€™s what their info sheet says:

Gel Foam Quilt
Memory Foam Quilt
Ventilated 5-lb Memory Foam cushioning
4-lb gel memory foam
Lura-tex Foam Core
High Density Base Foam

Compared to the icomfort info on your site:

5 lb. KoolComfort Memory Foam
4 or 5 lb??? Cool Action Gel Memory Foam
1.5 lb Cool Action Gel Energy Foam
1.3 lb Serta Support Foam
1.5 lb ComfortLast Foam Core

would we need to ask more questions of the Mayā€™s mattress to know how it exactly compares to the icomfort renewal refined. There is a significant price difference, but not sure how to compare apples to apples on quality of each layer.

Also, we are interested in the adjustable base which is another reason we are leaning towards the icomfort renewal refined even though it costs more so we can have the matching base. Do you have any feedback or reviews on the adjustable bases?

Thanks so much!!!

Hi wampish,

The iComfort gel memory foam is 4 lbs. There were some initial specs based on shipping weight where I initially calculated it to be 5 lbs but this was not accurate and overstated its quality. Of course it is ā€œparticulateā€ gel memory foam which I believe is less durable than the types where the gel is mixed in the memory foam as a liquid (see post #2 here for the different types of gel foams).

This is actually 1.5 inches (not lbs) and is probably their name for Talalay latex which is a good quality material.

The specs you received from Mays indicates that the 5 lb memory foam is good quality but I would want to know the layer thicknesses, the type of gel memory foam (the density is similar to the icomfort), the density of the Luratex memory foam (I believe itā€™s in the range of 3 lb which is lower quality) and the density of the HD polyfoam base. Both the amount and quality of the layers is important to make a meaningful value comparison. If the gel foam is also a particulate type then the memory foam and gel foam is the same quality/density as the iComfort but how they compare in layer thickness and in the quality of the other layers is unknown. In my experience ā€¦ May can be fairly costly.

Two of the best sources I know of for adjustable bases are ā€¦

Part of Select Foam which is a member here and offers a 5% discount on most of their adjustable beds to forum members as well

https://www.adjustablebeds.org/ Carries most of the most popular brands at good prices.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: adjustabeds.com/

There is more about adjustable bed comparisons in this thread.

The Serta Motion Perfect is basically an ErgoMotion 400 in terms of function with a few extra features (such as the mattress attachment and the matching look) but it carries a significant premium for such minor differences.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. One other question before I do my continued research. Can you help me understand what the stitching or tacking down of a mattress means? Not sure what the dimples or indentations that you see on some mattresses, but not all are really called. Are they decorative, for comfort or for other reasons?

Thanks!

ā€œCool Action gel energy foam (which I believe is Talalay latex which is also good quality)ā€

Is this true? Latex?

Hi wampish,

The quilting in the mattress is meant partly to keep the quilting layers in place and prevent shifting and partly to pre-compress the quilting to change the surface or ā€œhand feelā€ of the mattress. Tighter quilting patterns are firmer than looser quilting patterns (the materials used for the quilting are pre-compressed more).

Tack and jump pattens or tufting is similar except it involves other deeper layers besides just the surface quilting layers.

Besides these two functional factors ā€¦ different patterns are chosen for their appearance because the look of a mattress can lay a big role in what many consumers are willing to pay for it even though it is covered with sheets and bedding in the bedroom.

Phoenix

Hi iBuyer,

Yes ā€¦ most likely talalay GL fast response (which used to be called Celsion).

You can see the iComfort is listed in the site of the Latex International site.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: latexfoam.com/products/bedding

Phoenix

Interesting.
I see where Natural Response is listed as well. You know, the bed nobody can find unless they stumble across one :wink:

Hi iBuyer,

Comfort Solutions just expanded its Natural Response line by 6 models at the Las Vegas market a few months ago so you would think they would be fairly widely available.

You can see Comfort solutionā€™s VP ā€œtrainingā€ his retailers how to ā€œup the ticketā€ using the new natural Response line.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: hfbusiness.com/item/comfort-solutions-natural-response-collection-mattresses

Phoenix

Definitely a sales tool, but Iā€™d have to agree with him 100%. His comments on feel, rolling over, and the Feel are spot on. Those that didn;t go for memory foam were probably 100% likely to go old fashioned. I witnessed it myself first hand in the stores.

I remember reading about the new lines when I went searching for them, but nothing yet. That retailer in Maine you linked had the old lines. Still does. Definitely not a marketing based company.

Hi iBuyer,

I also agree with many of the points he makes ā€¦ especially about the importance of free movement on a mattress (for many reasons).

Where we part ways is the idea of ā€œupsellingā€ from an already expensive memory foam mattress to get ā€œfree movementā€ or the other benefits of latex when the dollar signs are all the salesperson will really see (they tend to ā€œparrotā€ these types of training videos). They would be just as likely to upsell into a memory foam mattress as well with a different story ā€œattachedā€ because the upselling is more important than the benefits they are promoting. They often tend to put the cart (the story they will use to step their customer up) before the horse (the mattress which really does provide the best quality and value, and is most suitable for their customer).

Phoenix

Completely understand your point there.

Hey Phoenix love the we site and thread!! Unfortunately I was one of the ones that fell for the marketing crap and bought an icomfort Revolution/Savant. Now the bed has yet to be delivered and am thinking of cancelling it before I receive it. We tried different beds and my wife fell in love with that specific bed, she is not too fond on hard beds.

Reading about the Nova beds from Costco seeing thst they sre similar and made by the same company im thinking of hesding thst route. Was womdering if you can point me to a bed similar and soft as the iComfort savant. Im in need of a bed very badly and after trying different beds (big brands unfortunately. ā€¦) we both fell for the Savant. Any help would be appreciated!! Im located in the San Fernado Valley, California if that helps. Thanks!

Hi GTRKiller,

There is no doubt that Serta hit a home run with their iComfort line in terms of marketing and showroom feel ā€¦ unfortunately they used lower quality materials to do it and what you feel in a showroom isnā€™t the same as what you will feel in your bedroom a year or two down the road and they are not good 'value". If there is no penalty in returning or cancelling it I personally would strongly consider it so that at least you have the option to compare it to some of the better choices that are available to you before you lock in your decision.

There are dozens if not hundreds of mattresses that can provide what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) that you need besides the icomfort and I would hesitate to use the iComfort (or any mattress) as a ā€œtargetā€ rather than more objective ways to measure the quality and suitablilty of a mattress for your specific needs and preferences. There is more in post #2 here about the risks and difficulties involved in ā€œmattress matchingā€ rather than measuring all mattresses that you test against a common set of ā€œstandardsā€ (such as those in post #46 here) that donā€™t duplicate the weak links of a mattress that you like but uses lower quality materials or has poor value.

The Novaform mattresses use similar materials to the iComfort but they are lower quality yet. I wouldnā€™t consider them to be particularly good value either. To know the quality/value of a mattress you need to know the quality of the materials that it uses so you can make ā€œapples to applesā€ comparisons. I wouldnā€™t personally consider either of them ā€¦ and the Novaform has the additional risk that you canā€™t try it first to find out how suitable it may be for your body type or sleeping position. They do have a good return policy so you get a ā€œfree roll of the diceā€ but its still inconvenient to have to return a mattress that isnā€™t suitable for your needs and preferences and have to start all over again. If it does happen to work well for you ā€¦ then there is the additional risk that a year or two down the road the lower quality materials and components will soften and this may be beyond the return period but still not anywhere near how long you would expect a mattress to provide you with the comfort and support you need (and loss of comfort and support is not an issue that is covered by a warranty) and then a ā€œcheapā€ mattress will seem to be more expensive when you factor in its durability and how long it provided you with a good quality sleep experience.

A good step by step guide that will help you find the most suitable mattress (for you) with the best possible quality and value is in post #1 here.

Some of the better options Iā€™m aware of in the greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the fast and helpful reply. I did my own thread but figure I should reply to this one instead to my own. Looks like im heading out to go look for some outside since it looks to be the best way but in the mean time im getting an Aerus from Samā€™s Club. Looked to me like it was one of your better ones for its price.

Having bad back problems, sore shoulders as is my wife and something temporary thats better than what we have is needed.

Hi GTRKiller,

Just as a caution ā€¦ Post #4 here may be of interest to you if you are considering the 10" Aerus from Sams Club which may not have the actual materials that they list based on the listed shipping weight.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix. My wife and I have been in the market for a new mattress for about 2 months now and alot of our friends have the serta icomfort and love it. I did some searching online and came across this mattress on Amazon. Would you take a look at it and tell me what you think? It says it is a Serta gel memory foam mattress, but it also says ā€œby sleep innovationsā€. It looks to be very similar to the icomfort at a pretty good price. Any help is appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Serta-12-Inch-Foam-3-Layer-Mattress/dp/B004PEJ1O8/ref=sr_1_1?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1356536756&sr=1-1&keywords=serta+gel+foam+mattress

Or this one from DynastyMattress

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattress-Breeze-12-Inch-Memory-Mattress-King/dp/B000WZTVRG/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02_t_lh

Phoenix, hi, we have been mattress shopping for about 10 days now and are thoroughly confused. We too liked the ahh feeling of the savant icomfort, formerly the revolution. I found your site by looking for reviews. Iā€™m reading through this entire thread and getting tons of great ino.

Iā€™m around page 10 now and plan to read every post.

We are in Columbia, sc. I am 6ā€™3 235. And my fiancĆ© is 5ā€™10 150. She is mostly a side sleeper. I usually get myself to sleep on my stomach but I wake up in all directions. One odd thing maybe is that I (well both of us really) go to sleep on my stomach by putting a second pillow under half my torso such that I am not fully on my stomach. If Iā€™m looking toward my right shoulder, my right should will be up off the bed several inches due to this second pillow. I have done this or years and years. Just some info fr you.

So, with that in mind, we think/thought we wanted a memory foam mattress. We liked a $1500 symbol bed at one store. Then we like a medium plushness bluetec glaciers. We ave liked the medium (savant) icomfort at a couple stores. Iā€™ve considered going with a samsclub Averyā€™s, a Costco noaform, and a dynasty on amazon to "see if we like memory Pam before going all in at 2k. Now after researching more we see that we are probably just feeling the ā€˜ahhā€™ of these and hey are no good for us.
Also seeing that a cheap model wonā€™t really tell us if we like it or not. As it will probably just be wrong for us.

Just yesterday we were at furniture row in Charlotte and liked a Simmons comforpeic line, but then stopped at mattress irm last night and liked he savant again think now the comforpedic is probably too soft for stomach sleeping.

I think we need to look at latex but when I first heard the name I thought t was something cheap. I imagined now sweaty a pair of latex gloves were and I dismissed it.

Now I think we need to take your suggestion to find a local manufacturer and go there and try if fervent layers and either order from them or order online from maybe sleepez.

Can you recommend anyone good in this area where we can get some good step by step walk through of inning our right comfort eels? It sounds like we may really need a split design model due to our weight and sleeping styles.

Local to midlands sc would be ideal but I am not afraid to go to Charlotte or beyond if necessary.

We bought a king size set of furniture last week and right now they are holding it a few weeks for us. We can extend that, but we are ready to get this done when we find the right thing. We are ok with up to 1500 or so as long as feel itā€™s a good quality choice, maye even 2k. At the same time if we can get something good for 800, awesome because we have a wedding to pay for coming up in a few short months.

Hi Rhizzlebop,

Iā€™m glad you found us before you pulled the trigger :slight_smile:

While I realize that some of the major brand mattresses can be comfortable in a showroom ā€¦ the quality of the materials they use in many cases means that their comfort and/or support wonā€™t last and even their better quality mattresses are not good value compared to mattresses made by many smaller manufacturers.
Post #1 here and the information it links to may be also be very helpful.

The local manufacturers and some of the other better options or possibilities in the Columbia and Charleston area are listed in post #2 here and post #2 here has a list centered around Greenville (with some overlap).

Phoenix