The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi iBuyer,

Comfort Solutions just expanded its Natural Response line by 6 models at the Las Vegas market a few months ago so you would think they would be fairly widely available.

You can see Comfort solutionā€™s VP ā€œtrainingā€ his retailers how to ā€œup the ticketā€ using the new natural Response line.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: hfbusiness.com/item/comfort-solutions-natural-response-collection-mattresses

Phoenix

Definitely a sales tool, but Iā€™d have to agree with him 100%. His comments on feel, rolling over, and the Feel are spot on. Those that didn;t go for memory foam were probably 100% likely to go old fashioned. I witnessed it myself first hand in the stores.

I remember reading about the new lines when I went searching for them, but nothing yet. That retailer in Maine you linked had the old lines. Still does. Definitely not a marketing based company.

Hi iBuyer,

I also agree with many of the points he makes ā€¦ especially about the importance of free movement on a mattress (for many reasons).

Where we part ways is the idea of ā€œupsellingā€ from an already expensive memory foam mattress to get ā€œfree movementā€ or the other benefits of latex when the dollar signs are all the salesperson will really see (they tend to ā€œparrotā€ these types of training videos). They would be just as likely to upsell into a memory foam mattress as well with a different story ā€œattachedā€ because the upselling is more important than the benefits they are promoting. They often tend to put the cart (the story they will use to step their customer up) before the horse (the mattress which really does provide the best quality and value, and is most suitable for their customer).

Phoenix

Completely understand your point there.

Hey Phoenix love the we site and thread!! Unfortunately I was one of the ones that fell for the marketing crap and bought an icomfort Revolution/Savant. Now the bed has yet to be delivered and am thinking of cancelling it before I receive it. We tried different beds and my wife fell in love with that specific bed, she is not too fond on hard beds.

Reading about the Nova beds from Costco seeing thst they sre similar and made by the same company im thinking of hesding thst route. Was womdering if you can point me to a bed similar and soft as the iComfort savant. Im in need of a bed very badly and after trying different beds (big brands unfortunately. ā€¦) we both fell for the Savant. Any help would be appreciated!! Im located in the San Fernado Valley, California if that helps. Thanks!

Hi GTRKiller,

There is no doubt that Serta hit a home run with their iComfort line in terms of marketing and showroom feel ā€¦ unfortunately they used lower quality materials to do it and what you feel in a showroom isnā€™t the same as what you will feel in your bedroom a year or two down the road and they are not good 'value". If there is no penalty in returning or cancelling it I personally would strongly consider it so that at least you have the option to compare it to some of the better choices that are available to you before you lock in your decision.

There are dozens if not hundreds of mattresses that can provide what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) that you need besides the icomfort and I would hesitate to use the iComfort (or any mattress) as a ā€œtargetā€ rather than more objective ways to measure the quality and suitablilty of a mattress for your specific needs and preferences. There is more in post #2 here about the risks and difficulties involved in ā€œmattress matchingā€ rather than measuring all mattresses that you test against a common set of ā€œstandardsā€ (such as those in post #46 here) that donā€™t duplicate the weak links of a mattress that you like but uses lower quality materials or has poor value.

The Novaform mattresses use similar materials to the iComfort but they are lower quality yet. I wouldnā€™t consider them to be particularly good value either. To know the quality/value of a mattress you need to know the quality of the materials that it uses so you can make ā€œapples to applesā€ comparisons. I wouldnā€™t personally consider either of them ā€¦ and the Novaform has the additional risk that you canā€™t try it first to find out how suitable it may be for your body type or sleeping position. They do have a good return policy so you get a ā€œfree roll of the diceā€ but its still inconvenient to have to return a mattress that isnā€™t suitable for your needs and preferences and have to start all over again. If it does happen to work well for you ā€¦ then there is the additional risk that a year or two down the road the lower quality materials and components will soften and this may be beyond the return period but still not anywhere near how long you would expect a mattress to provide you with the comfort and support you need (and loss of comfort and support is not an issue that is covered by a warranty) and then a ā€œcheapā€ mattress will seem to be more expensive when you factor in its durability and how long it provided you with a good quality sleep experience.

A good step by step guide that will help you find the most suitable mattress (for you) with the best possible quality and value is in post #1 here.

Some of the better options Iā€™m aware of in the greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the fast and helpful reply. I did my own thread but figure I should reply to this one instead to my own. Looks like im heading out to go look for some outside since it looks to be the best way but in the mean time im getting an Aerus from Samā€™s Club. Looked to me like it was one of your better ones for its price.

Having bad back problems, sore shoulders as is my wife and something temporary thats better than what we have is needed.

Hi GTRKiller,

Just as a caution ā€¦ Post #4 here may be of interest to you if you are considering the 10" Aerus from Sams Club which may not have the actual materials that they list based on the listed shipping weight.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix. My wife and I have been in the market for a new mattress for about 2 months now and alot of our friends have the serta icomfort and love it. I did some searching online and came across this mattress on Amazon. Would you take a look at it and tell me what you think? It says it is a Serta gel memory foam mattress, but it also says ā€œby sleep innovationsā€. It looks to be very similar to the icomfort at a pretty good price. Any help is appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Serta-12-Inch-Foam-3-Layer-Mattress/dp/B004PEJ1O8/ref=sr_1_1?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1356536756&sr=1-1&keywords=serta+gel+foam+mattress

Or this one from DynastyMattress

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattress-Breeze-12-Inch-Memory-Mattress-King/dp/B000WZTVRG/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02_t_lh

Phoenix, hi, we have been mattress shopping for about 10 days now and are thoroughly confused. We too liked the ahh feeling of the savant icomfort, formerly the revolution. I found your site by looking for reviews. Iā€™m reading through this entire thread and getting tons of great ino.

Iā€™m around page 10 now and plan to read every post.

We are in Columbia, sc. I am 6ā€™3 235. And my fiancĆ© is 5ā€™10 150. She is mostly a side sleeper. I usually get myself to sleep on my stomach but I wake up in all directions. One odd thing maybe is that I (well both of us really) go to sleep on my stomach by putting a second pillow under half my torso such that I am not fully on my stomach. If Iā€™m looking toward my right shoulder, my right should will be up off the bed several inches due to this second pillow. I have done this or years and years. Just some info fr you.

So, with that in mind, we think/thought we wanted a memory foam mattress. We liked a $1500 symbol bed at one store. Then we like a medium plushness bluetec glaciers. We ave liked the medium (savant) icomfort at a couple stores. Iā€™ve considered going with a samsclub Averyā€™s, a Costco noaform, and a dynasty on amazon to "see if we like memory Pam before going all in at 2k. Now after researching more we see that we are probably just feeling the ā€˜ahhā€™ of these and hey are no good for us.
Also seeing that a cheap model wonā€™t really tell us if we like it or not. As it will probably just be wrong for us.

Just yesterday we were at furniture row in Charlotte and liked a Simmons comforpeic line, but then stopped at mattress irm last night and liked he savant again think now the comforpedic is probably too soft for stomach sleeping.

I think we need to look at latex but when I first heard the name I thought t was something cheap. I imagined now sweaty a pair of latex gloves were and I dismissed it.

Now I think we need to take your suggestion to find a local manufacturer and go there and try if fervent layers and either order from them or order online from maybe sleepez.

Can you recommend anyone good in this area where we can get some good step by step walk through of inning our right comfort eels? It sounds like we may really need a split design model due to our weight and sleeping styles.

Local to midlands sc would be ideal but I am not afraid to go to Charlotte or beyond if necessary.

We bought a king size set of furniture last week and right now they are holding it a few weeks for us. We can extend that, but we are ready to get this done when we find the right thing. We are ok with up to 1500 or so as long as feel itā€™s a good quality choice, maye even 2k. At the same time if we can get something good for 800, awesome because we have a wedding to pay for coming up in a few short months.

Hi Rhizzlebop,

Iā€™m glad you found us before you pulled the trigger :slight_smile:

While I realize that some of the major brand mattresses can be comfortable in a showroom ā€¦ the quality of the materials they use in many cases means that their comfort and/or support wonā€™t last and even their better quality mattresses are not good value compared to mattresses made by many smaller manufacturers.
Post #1 here and the information it links to may be also be very helpful.

The local manufacturers and some of the other better options or possibilities in the Columbia and Charleston area are listed in post #2 here and post #2 here has a list centered around Greenville (with some overlap).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I found a thread of yours elsewhere that listed a few good places in Charlotte. We just visited original mattress up in Monroe nc as we came up to visit friends. We have an apt tomorrow at dilworth We are also going to swing by furniture row again and look at the snow mass and the aspen tomorrow. We are hoping to visit either lake mattress, or myluxurymattress mattress, or Rockymountainmattress tomorrow. Hoping to hit at least 3 of the 5 you listed.

As for Columbia, we will visit a few of those in the next few days.

Nw, as for original mattress, we tried the latex bad (9") and the supreme latex(12.5"). We liked the 9 inch better. The 12.5 was too soft. Had a great ā€œahā€ feeling, but too soft when I laid on my stomach for several minutes.

As for the 9" I sort of liked it on a solid base, my fiancƩ liked it on the box spring. The strange part was that I felt like it had a lesser pressure point to me on the hard base than the solid base which seems llike the opposite reason to like it better.

They offer a 5" box spring base if we wanted to go that way. It would put our bed at 19"+5"+9"=33" high bed. Right in the upper part of the sweet spot. Iā€™d like nothing lower than 30 and nothing higher than 34".

Hi Rhizzlebop,

I think you may have been one of the posters who managed to post during one of the few times the site was open for posting yesterday (when I needed to turn it on for testing) and ended up being deleted in one of the backup restorations I did during the process. If this is the case I certainly apologize :slight_smile:

I can see youā€™ve been doing some good research as well from your comments which is great to see (you knew for example that OMF used an innerspring foundation which could change the feel of their mattresses compared to a firm foundation).

Each person feels things very differently and a box spring will change the pressure distribution away from some points and increase it on others because it changes your surface profile and contact points when you are lying down on it. So one person may need some extra give under one part of their body that may be their reference point for softness and firmness while someone else may feel it as being a bit firmer under another part that they are more sensitive to. Different bases all carry the same weight on top of them but the pressure is shifted from one part of the body to another depending on how and where it ā€œgivesā€ under the pressures of your body weight and shape. I know it sounds strange but I would never argue with someoneā€™s perceptions no matter how unusual they may seem.

You have some great value available to you within a reasonable distance (unlike some areas which are much more of a mattress ā€œdesertā€) and Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about your experiences at the places you havenā€™t been yet and of course your final choice.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix.

Iā€™d say for the OMF 9" bed, I probably liked it a 7-8 and she probably liked it an 8. Will update that score based on what we see going forward.
One concern is that the OMF bed has an inch of poly foam right on top and bottom under the quilting. Wasnā€™t sure if that was a red flag as far as not wanting any poly foam in the comfort layers. I guess the very top is considered the comfort layer.

Also, seems like a great value feature that it is 2 sided, but if the bottom is down on flay plywood(if we donā€™t get a base) or down on the box, then is that bottom side eing crush and compromised just as fast or faster than the top side? Hence you would not get twice the wear life out of it as I might first think since the bottom is being flattened even more than the top?

Otherwise, at 1750 for the mat and box seems like airily good value for this seemingly solid latex bed.

Hi Rhizzlebop,

An inch of softer or lower density polyfoam in the quilting wouldnā€™t be an issue for me because itā€™s not thick enough for foam softening to have a significant effect on the mattress. If the same foam was there in a layer 2" or more then it would be a potential weak link in the mattress. some people even prefer a very soft quilting layer because it gives a softer less resilient surface feel than sleeping directly on latex which some people prefer. The key is to keep it at around an inch or so or less of lower density polyfoam in the comfort layers if itā€™s there at all.

Of course with a higher quality and more durable material like latex even a one sided mattress will generally last for much longer than the lower quality materials that are so common even in expensive mattresses sold by larger manufacturers these days. The advantage of a one sided mattress is that it allows for different designs and layering that would not be appropriate for a two sided mattress (because thicker layers of soft foam on the bottom of a mattress can compromise support and alignment so the layering and design that is possible or at least appropriate for a two sided mattress is more restricted).

When a softer layer is on the bottom it actually ā€œrestsā€ and recovers some of its resiliency. The weight is also spread out more evenly across the whole layer instead of being more compressed under the heavier areas of the body which is what creates the soft spots and the loss of comfort and support that is the biggest issue with foam softening (not the softening of the whole layer. If a layer softens evenly it is not nearly as big an issue but thelayer you sleep on doesnā€™t soften evenly but mostly under the heavier parts of the body. While a two sided mattress may not be twice as durable as a one sided mattress ā€¦ it would be fair to say it will be at least 50% more durable and probably more (all other things being equal) than a one sided mattress and it certainly wouldnā€™t be 50% morre expensive because it would share the same support layer on both sides. I would rather have for example a two sided mattress that used 2-3" of 1.5 lb polyfoam on each side of a firmer support layer (which is on the low side for polyfoam density) than a one sided mattress that used the same few inches of 1.8 lb polyfoam (which is a higher quality/density material although still not the ā€œbestā€ quality polyfoam by a long shot) on one side only.

Yes ā€¦ OMF is usually among the better values in the areas they are available and certainly better quality/value than anything sold in most chain stores or made by a major manufacturer (consumer ratings have also ā€œratedā€ them above any major brand mattress in terms of quality and all chain stores and mass market outlets in terms of service as well) although in your case yuou are more fortunate than most because with where you are going there will likely be better value yet.

Phoenix

Realize every person has different preferences with mattresses, but figured would pitch in given the last couple posts. We bought the 9" latex from OMF after a lot of looking around (and getting help from this thread) and have been very happy with the purchase. We are 6 months in at this point and no regrets, still very comfortable.

So, Phoenix.
Today we visited furniture row again and checked out the snow mass and the aspen. Both are 12" beds with the snowmass being more firm slightly. We like it best of the two but we liked the OMF bed a little better than the snowmass.
I rated the snowmass like a 7 and the OMF bed an 8. My fiancƩ rated the snowmass a 6 and the OMF bed a 7.

We then drove a half hour to lake mattress to find they were closed today. Should have called ahead but their loss as we arenā€™t driving way back up there.

We then drove south and met Alan at dilworth. He was super nice and noted that he could custom split a mattress for us. However on his floor he basically offered two models and no layers to put together to try in any way.

He had a firm model which he said was 6" of base foam and then 6" of 36 ild telalay latex. It was nice. A tad firm. He also had a second softer bed which was 3 layers. It had the 2" base foam and then a 8" layer of 36 ild and then - 2" layer of 24 ild It had the ā€˜ahhā€™ feeling but was a bit too soft as I sank in too far we think. I think thatā€™s correct cause he specifically noted that it has 10" of latex which was why it was 500 more

My fiancĆ© didnā€™t sink in too much but I could tell she did a little more than on the firm of course. She preferred the softer model I preferred the firmer but wish it wasnā€™t quite as firm. Normally he was at 2k for his firm bed and 2.5k for his softer bed

He said he could make us one where he went thinner on the base and ended with 1.5" of the softerb24 ild on top just to add a touch more softness without compromising its firmness. We generally like the idea.

I meant to mention your site and see if he was familiar or if it would yield any additional discount.

We discussed two ways of making this Bed. First e said he could do an 8" total height mattress and eliminate the base foam, do a 4" foundation box and include 2" of 24 ild at the top. This was gonna be 2200

Then as we spoke more about my height needs from our bed structure he suggested adding another half dozen slats, putting down some 3/8ths plywood cover it witha cheap king sheet and just put the regular height 12" mattress on it. It would have the 1.5" of 24 in the top layer and that would be 1850. I can pick it up, he wonā€™t collect the ax and that saves some that would normally be on top f this price.

He does not put any quilted tops of any other foam on top f his beds. He just does the latex and covers it in a heavy cotton weave type thing.

Honestly, I think hs idea of slightly softening th firm bed sounds good and trying to interpolate that, I feel about equal about it and the OMF Bed.
My fiancƩ thought she liked this one better than the OMF bed, but she admitted they were very close. She thought the dilworth Ed was softer than OMF bed which could be because she likes directly feeling the spongy latex over feeling the fiber filled foam topper on the OMF bed.
As we crossed back into SC we stopped one last time at the SC OMF and retested the 9" bed we liked there. Our feelings are the same, I feel equal about these two and she likes the dilworth slightly more.

He does glue his layers together but said e could spot gue on request in case there was a chance of being asked to change something down the road.

I want to visit one local Columbia store before our final decision but I guess right now we are leaning toward the dilworth with he tweak of the softer top layer . Again he said it would then be between his two beds in firmness, more closer to the firm end than the soft end He told e used mostly 60% /40% natural/ synthetic blended telalay latex.

I was hoping we could find good value under 1500. Not sure if heā€™s willing to o less or f mentioning your site would carry any value. We have a wedding in April and everything is certainly adding up fast.

thatā€™s basically where we are at the moment.

Hi Rhizzlebop,

OK ā€¦ lets see if I can outline and clarify some of the choices you have (because Iā€™m not quite clear on some of them) ā€¦

1 OMF 6" Latex:

Top to bottom ā€¦

1" quilting foam in the cover
6" 32 ILD Talalay latex

The quilting foam would give a touch of softness but in general the 32 ILD in combination with the relative thinness of teh mattress would result in a fimer than average mattress ā€¦ especially on a firm base.

COST: (mattress only King) $1459.00
SUITABILITY: 7 - 8

Denver Mattress Snowmass:

Top to bottom:

1" quilting polyfoam (likely a little firmer)
2" of 24 ILD Talalay
6" of 32 ILD Talalay
2" Polyfoam.

This would likely be softer because of the same 6" layer as OMF but with an additional 2" of softer latex over that

COST: $1349.00
SUITABILITY: 6-7

Iā€™m not quite clear on the details of the Dilworth options or on the mattress only prices but if Iā€™m understanding you correctly here are the ones you are considering?

DILWORTH Option 1:

Top to bottom

1.5" of 24 ILD Talalay
6" of 36 ILD Talalay
4.5" of unknown density and ILD polyfoam.

This adds up to 12" ā€¦ are these the details of the ā€œregularā€ 12" mattress you would put directly on your bed with he extra slats and plywood. If it is I would want to know the density of the polyfoam.

COST: $1850 (is this correct for mattress only?)
Suitability 7-8 ? (only tested 12" mattress)

DILWORTH Option 2:

2" 24 ILD Talalay
6" 36
4" Foundation

The mattress only price in this is unknown so for the sake of argument Iā€™ll assign a $300 price to the foundation to get to an approximate apples to apples comparison.

COST: $1900 (unsure because of any additional cost of the foundation)
SUITABILITY: ? (only tested 12" mattress)

DILWORTH Option 3 (one of the ones you actually tested):

2" 24 ILD Talalay
2" 36 ILD Talalay ?
6" 36 ILD Talalay ?
2" Polyfoam (unknown density or ILD but not so important in this case with such a thin layer on the bottom)

Iā€™ve put the 8" Talalay layer as two layers because they only come in 6" cores so Iā€™m assuming this is correct?

COST: $2500 - Foundation?
SUITABILITY: Unknown for you but 8+ for your fiance?

Are there any other options from Dilworth that are seriously in the running (or do these need to be corrected either in terms of layering or how would rate them).

OTHER OPTIONS: added for reference, because they are somewhat local, and because they have a mattress that is similar to one at OMF and one you tested at Dilworth.

Rocky Mountain Mattress 9" Latex:

Wool quilted cotton cover
2" Natural Talalay in choice of 3 firmness levels
6" tri-zone Dunlop natural latex

Very similar to option 2 at Dilworth except it has Zoned Dunlop in the base (may be firmer) and uses wool in the quilting which would be added value compared to no quilting or polyfoam quilting.

COST: 1700
SUITABILITY: ?

Rocky Mountain Mattress 7" latex:

This would be most similar to the OMF 6" model except it has wool instead of polyfoam in the quilting (again added value), uses a trizoned Dunlop latex instead of Talalay and is one sided instead of 2

COST: 1450.00

When your fiance said she liked the softness of the Dilworth ā€¦ did she mean the one I mentioned (which you thought was too soft)? If this is the case (which Iā€™m assuming because the other possibilities couldnā€™t be tested) then her perception of more softness would likely be because of both the layer of 24 ILD in combination with the greater thickness of the mattress because greater thickness works in a similar way softer ILDā€™s (allows you to sink in more so it feels softer).

So overall ā€¦ there are some gaps to be filled in yet (at least for me to understand your choices so far) and possibly other options to be added (because Iā€™m not quite clear if these are accurate descriptions of the ones you are considering particularly at Dilworth) but once this is done it should at least give you a basis for making final tradeoffs both between the mattresses and any other benefits that come from dealing with each of your options.

Phoenix

Phoenix, I placed some comments within the quoted text below to clarify some of our choices.

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=11051]Hi Rhizzlebop,

OK ā€¦ lets see if I can outline and clarify some of the choices you have (because Iā€™m not quite clear on some of them) ā€¦

1 OMF 6" Latex:

Top to bottom ā€¦

1" quilting foam in the cover
6" 32 ILD Talalay latex

The quilting foam would give a touch of softness but in general the 32 ILD in combination with the relative thinness of teh mattress would result in a fimer than average mattress ā€¦ especially on a firm base.

COST: (mattress only King) $1459.00
SUITABILITY: 7 - 8

CLARIFICATION: this is a 9" bed. It has an inch of quilting on top that is poly foam. The other construction layers are on their website but my memory says it was 19 idf latex. Itā€™s a 2 sided mattress. We sort of preferred it on the box spring base.
The bed plus the 5" base was 1750+ 7% tax + 100 delivery. They have a store in northern sc so tax is nt optional. Since its only 9 inches the box is a must so thatā€™s why I figured it based on the 1750 price.
This would make the overall bed height 19+5+9= 33"

Denver Mattress Snowmass:

Top to bottom:

1" quilting polyfoam (likely a little firmer)
2" of 24 ILD Talalay
6" of 32 ILD Talalay
2" Polyfoam.

This would likely be softer because of the same 6" layer as OMF but with an additional 2" of softer latex over that

COST: $1349.00
SUITABILITY: 6-7

CLARIFICATION: this bed we liked slightly less than the OMF bed. It is 11" high mattress only. Could do their 2" platform or could do some 1" plywood covered in a king sheet. Donā€™t think this bed is in the overall running at this point.
It would be 1400 bed only or 1700 w the base. Tax is not added if they deliver. It is added if I pick it up. Delivery is 100 more.

Iā€™m not quite clear on the details of the Dilworth options or on the mattress only prices but if Iā€™m understanding you correctly here are the ones you are considering?

DILWORTH Option 1:

Top to bottom

1.5" of 24 ILD Talalay
6" of 36 ILD Talalay
4.5" of unknown density and ILD polyfoam.

This adds up to 12" ā€¦ are these the details of the ā€œregularā€ 12" mattress you would put directly on your bed with he extra slats and plywood. If it is I would want to know the density of the polyfoam.

COST: $1850 (is this correct for mattress only?)
Suitability 7-8 ? (only tested 12" mattress)

DILWORTH Option 2:

2" 24 ILD Talalay
6" 36
4" Foundation

The mattress only price in this is unknown so for the sake of argument Iā€™ll assign a $300 price to the foundation to get to an approximate apples to apples comparison.

COST: $1900 (unsure because of any additional cost of the foundation)
SUITABILITY: ? (only tested 12" mattress)

DILWORTH Option 3 (one of the ones you actually tested):

2" 24 ILD Talalay
2" 36 ILD Talalay ?
6" 36 ILD Talalay ?
2" Polyfoam (unknown density or ILD but not so important in this case with such a thin layer on the bottom)

Iā€™ve put the 8" Talalay layer as two layers because they only come in 6" cores so Iā€™m assuming this is correct?

COST: $2500 - Foundation?
SUITABILITY: Unknown for you but 8+ for your fiance?

Are there any other options from Dilworth that are seriously in the running (or do these need to be corrected either in terms of layering or how would rate them).

Let me just reattach the dilworth options here and see if I can be more clear.

Dilworth option 1:
This bed was on the floor for trial
It was a firm bed 12" height.
He said it had a 6" base foam. Didnā€™t give me that density
He said it had a 6" layer of 36 ild latex foam.
It did not have a quilted layer It just had a cotton knitted type cover on it.
It felt nice but a tad firm.
It was 2000 for the mattress and 9 inch base.

Option 2 at dilworth was also on the floor. It had base foam, a core Ayer of 36 ild. And a 2" layer of 4 ild on top. It was much softer. Nice, but probably oo soft or my weight. My fiancƩ loved it and said it was her favorite.
If cores only come in 6" and if you think the 24 ild only comes in 2" layers and he stated it had 10" of latex which raised the price of it to 2500. Then deductive reasoning would say it had a 2" base foam, a 6" core which he said was 36ild. And 2 2" layers of 24 ild latex. All of that seems to jive and make sense.

Option 3.
We discussed our feelings about the firmness of these two beds above. So he suggested the following: he could make us the firm bed and top it with a 2" layer of the 24 ild stuff. It would be an overall 8" height. So he said he would not use a base foam the same 6" core, and the 2" top
That with the foundation would have been 2200. He did not separate the mattress from the foundation price. he was also going to make a 4" foundation to get the overall height down so it would be 19"+4"+ 8"= 33" overall bed height.

Then, we kind of got into the bed design and the height issues and so he suggested a 4th option. He would forgo any foundation at all. He asked how many slats and legs the bed had. I said about 8-10 slats and 2 center legs.
At that point he said, His suggestion would be this. I buy another half dozen to 8 slats, put down some 3/8ths plywood covering the slats. Then he would not provide a foundation at all and make me a full 12" mattress, with a 6" core of the 36 ild and put a 1.5" 24 ild top layer on it and Iā€™m guessing either a 4" or maybe a 4.5" base layer of foam. (so overall would be either 11.5" or 12" high. Then I could put it right on the plywood and e right at 31" high overall for the bed surface.
He said this would give us a slightly softer feel than the firm bed we laid n, but it would still provide me the support I need to keep my back straight. This he wanted 1850 for it. Hard to quantify the value of the foundation because itā€™s going to a taller bed, but removing the foundation when compared to his 2200 dollar offer.

On top of this, any of the beds from dilworth he wonā€™t charge me sales tax as Iā€™m in sc and I can pick it up myself and avoid 200+ delivery fee. Also he said if I pay cash or check he will cut 3% off since no visa fee for him to eat.

In summary. I felt better supported on the firm bed, but I felt the soft bed was more plush comfy, and my fiancĆ© liked the more plush bed. This is why he basically offered to do the firm bed with the thinner layer of 24 ild on top saying that should be a nice compromise of the two choices. But we did not actually get to try that combo as he didnā€™t take pieces and stack em up.

When we discussed this

OTHER OPTIONS: added for reference, because they are somewhat local, and because they have a mattress that is similar to one at OMF and one you tested at Dilworth.

Rocky Mountain Mattress 9" Latex:

2" Natural Talalay in choice of 3 firmness levels

Very similar to option 2 at Dilworth except it has Zoned Dunlop in the base (may be firmer) and uses wool in the quilting which would be added value compared to no quilting or polyfoam quilting.

COST: 1700

Rocky Mountain Mattress 7" latex:

This would be most similar to the OMF 6" model except it has wool instead of polyfoam in the quilting (again added value), uses a trizoned Dunlop latex instead of Talalay and is one sided instead of 2

COST: 1450.00

When your fiance said she liked the softness of the Dilworth ā€¦ did she mean the one I mentioned (which you thought was too soft)? If this is the case (which Iā€™m assuming because the other possibilities couldnā€™t be tested) then her perception of more softness would likely be because of both the layer of 24 ILD in combination with the greater thickness of the mattress because greater thickness works in a similar way softer ILDā€™s (allows you to sink in more so it feels softer).

So overall ā€¦ there are some gaps to be filled in yet (at least for me to understand your choices so far) and possibly other options to be added (because Iā€™m not quite clear if these are accurate descriptions of the ones you are considering particularly at Dilworth) but once this is done it should at least give you a basis for making final tradeoffs both between the mattresses and any other benefits that come from dealing with each of your options.

Phoenix[/quote]

So I hope that helps clarify our homies.
The guy at dilworth also mentioned he does not use any Dunlop foam. He said several years ago the foam supplier plant had a fire and he had to buy Dunlop out of England He said he had more complaints and problems in those two years than his other years in business combined.

I was hoping to not go all the way back to Rockymountainmattress because it is 2:40 minutes north of year, 45 minutes north of Charlotte.

We do plan to visit best mattress here in Columbia. And soutthern bedding of Columbia.

Hi Rhizzlebop,

Just a ā€œclarification to the clarificationā€ before I read the rest of your post ā€¦

Yes ā€¦ the mattress is 9" but it only has 6" of latex (which is 32 ILD not 19 ILD) and then there is an inch of quilting polyfoam on each side. This comes to 8" of foam and the rest of the thickness is the ticking. Having it on the box spring base would result in slightly more ā€œgiveā€ underneath it to make up for itā€™s relative firmness. While I understand that it may need the box spring ā€¦ to make comparisons with other mattresses in terms of its value ā€¦ then itā€™s more accurate to compare mattress only to mattress only even though you would be buying the base as well if this was your choice. Comparing the ā€œvalueā€ of the mattress itself is one of the ā€œpiecesā€ of the puzzle and the starting point for comparison that I use and then I add any ā€œadd onsā€ (in this case the box spring) that may be necessary. This way you can consider if there are any ā€œsubstitutesā€ for one of the components that may lower your cost.

The rest is coming once Iā€™ve had the chance to read (and think about) the rest of your post.

Phoenix