The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi k_bed,

Once again … refer to the Serta site and you will see that the iComfort series (all foam) includes the Prodigy and as you yourself mentioned the iSeries (their innerspring line) doesn’t even have a prodigy model in the lineup.

There are no exceptions. All the iComforts are all foam mattresses. Once again … I refer you to the Serta website.

The post is correct and is the same construction as is described on the Serta site as well. It will stay the same.

You can send me all the photos you like … it won’t change the construction of the Prodigy. you may have a mislabeled product but if it has an innerspring then it is not the iComfort Prodigy no matter what it says. For goodnes sake … look at the construction on the Serta site itself if you have any doubts (they list the construction of the Prodigy).

I have no idea about why they led you to believe that the Prodigy is an innerspring mattress but if this is what they are representing they are not correct. this doesn’t mean they are lying … only that they are not correct.

Until Serta changes the Prodigy description on their site along with hundreds of other retailers that sell the Prodigy … I will continue to describe it as it is … not as you believe it is.

Phoenix

Glad you like your new mattress k_bed…Phoenix can speak for himself but maybe it’s not clear to you. If you believe you have truly bought an iComfort Prodigy with the specs you listed then you were sold the wrong bed by whomever sold it to you. Clearly you are still happy with the purchase…but the point is I would not personally have wanted to be sold the wrong mattress under the guise of another line of mattresses, regardless of cost or “quality”.

I researched the iComforts long and hard and LOVED the feel of them in the showroom. That’s how I ended up finding this site. I have ZERO vested interest in Phoenix’s site or the “scare campaign.” I am just fortunate to have received an education in value and quality with regard to a mattress and not just the “bottom line 50% off price!!!” and “showroom feel” that most mattress sellers are pushing these days.

I’ll toss a nickel in here.
All the research I did was in full agree acne that icomforts are all foam and I series have a spring base. Pretty cut and dry

The thing that keeps bugging me here is that for several points, Phoenix and k bed are arguing but not entirely disagreeing.

Kbed you included the photo of layers. Well that photo doesn’t say anything in regards to the quality of desity or core material makeup of any of those top three layers. I don’t see where Phoenix argued that there is no gel foam or otherwise in those top layers. He is arguing that the layers are of poor quality. Kbed, what you read off the label also says nothing concrete about th layers quality, density, or construction materials. You quoted the label in the simplest terms.
It’s like someone saying my car has poor quality tires. And someone else argues that, " no, the tires are good, I can see them on the car, hey are black and they have a tread pattern and it reads ‘high performer’ right on the sidewall so what do you mean my tires are no good?".
Those arguments are two different things.

I did not see where Phoenix said the Ed would feel bad and uncomfortable in the store or in the first couple years. He said they specifically will feel good in the early going. He indicates the difference will show down the road a little bit. You Jed are here arguing that he s wrong because it’s comfortable now. This simply makes no logical sense. You are arguing against something he did not say.

Anyhow kbed, enjoy your bed and be careful arguing with your ceiling

Hey Phoenix, I sent those PMs over yesterday but wasn’t sure they got through to your account.

Hi Rhizzlebop,

The PM’s are working but the forum along with a few other more urgent projects I’m working on are always my first priority and often take up most of my day (16 hour days don’t leave much room for re-arranging things) so it often takes me a few days to get to them. An email may be a bit faster (through the contact link at the top of the page) because I can scan them when I check my emails although it may still take me a few days to respond depending on what else is happening.

It looks like the forum is reasonably up to date today though so I should be able to send you a short reply sometime tonight before I go to bed.

Phoenix

EDIT: Never mind! I found your excellent post on SD manufacturers here!

Hi all, here’s a question for the room; my wife and I went to the showroom and tried out the iComfort Genius and really liked the firmness and adjustable base. After doing some research on pricing and reading through much of this thread, it seems like there are better options out there for much less (which would be awesome, as we are on a limited budget).

Does anyone have any recommendations on a firm foam mattress analogous to the iComfort, and possibly a separate adjustable base?

In that vein, are there any reputable direct-to-customer mattress manufacturer/warehouses anywhere near the 92117 area? I’m trying to do my own research, but it’s a little difficult knowing what specific words to google.

Thanks! Back to research and work…

Hi yenemy,

That saves me including a link :slight_smile:

The options were just updated a few days ago as well.

Your own testing will give you the best information about a mattress that “feels” similar to you (this is subjective) … and of course you certainly wouldn’t want to duplicate the quality of the layers in the iComfort which tend to use some lower quality foams and components. The same or a similar “feel” (and more importantly what I call PPP or Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) using higher quality materials (that will “keep” the feel and performance for much longer) would be the goal.

The adjustable bed thread here also includes more information and some good value sources for adjustable beds as well.

Phoenix

My husband and I have two homes and purchased mattress sets for both within the last six years. One set was made by Eclipse, the other by Stearns and Foster. Both are pillow tops and were in the $2,000 range.
Within a year or so, each of them developed large indentations under the hip area. When I checked out the warranties, it turned out that our indentations were not deep enough to qualify for any reimbursement.
My husband is 6’3" and weighs around 200 lbs. I am 5’7" and weigh around 160 lbs. We are both in our 70’s.
My husband complains about the “holes”, but does not have pain. I have bad lower back problems and I am miserable sleeping in these beds. I don’t look forward to going to sleep at night because I know I’ll wake up frequently in pain. I sleep on my back or side with a pillow under my legs or between my legs and another pillow tucked behind my back when I’m on my side. I wake up every morning with bad pain until I can “walk it off.” This is no way to live.
I have not made an effort to replace these beds, partly because of the cost, but also because I don’t want to make another mistake. I’ve slept in other beds on vacation and, while it’s a little better, I still wake up in pain.
I’ve been thinking that memory foam was the answer, but I know the Tempurpedics are very expensive.
Yesterday, I started shopping for a new king size set. I tried a Jamison pillowtop, which felt nice. It was very tufted, but that actually added to the comfort. Then I tried an iComfort in the $2400 range. I liked the way it felt, also. Both of these felt a little softer than what I would have purchased in the past, but they supported my body in all the right places.
I’ve been reading through this Topic and I’m learning a lot about what not to do. However, I honestly think I’d rather overpay for a brand name mattress, for convenience sake. After reading this site though, I’m not sure there are any you recommend. Do you think there have been any positive changes to the iComfort mattresses since this Topic began in 2011?
I live in Hilton Head, SC not far from Savannah, GA. Are there any manufacturers in this area?
I need help soon.

Hi mimi42,

The first place to start is post #1 here and the information it links to. Reading through this (not “studying” it) will give you the basic information you need as a reference to help you make the best choices for you.

A mattress is only as good as the materials that are inside it. The brand of a mattress has little to nothing to do with it’s durability, quality, or value since any manufacturer can choose to use lower or higher quality/durability materials. They can also choose whether or not to disclose the quality of the materials that they use. The biggest “mistake” that consumers can make is to buy a mattress based on its brand instead of making their choices based on the quality and durability of the materials that are in it. It’s just as important now (for those who are looking for quality, value, and durability) to avoid the major brands like Serta or their iComfort than it was when the thread started.

The larger brands tend first of all to not disclose the quality of the materials they use which forces you to make a completely blind purchase. If you are able to do the research or have access to information that can find this out … you will find that at every price point they use materials that are lower quality than many of the smaller local or independent manufacturers. Lower quality means less durability, more softening and sags in the mattress. The loss of comfort and support because of softening or changes in the mattress materials is not covered by a warranty even though it is the main reason that a mattress needs to be replaced (as in your case). Warranties have exclusions which are designed to protect the manufacturer from having to pay most warranty claims.

This is why it’s always best to shop for a mattress based on the materials that are in it rather than based on brand. If you have a loyalty to the larger brands (and don’t know to exclude them from your options) … you will almost certainly end up buying less durable materials at a higher cost than many other choices you have available to you. You are also assured the frustration of not being able to find out the real quality of the materials in your mattress and have no way to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses. If you make a “blind purchase” in a mattress where you don’t know what is in your mattress (or don’t buy from someone who knows and has your best interests at heart) … the odds are overwhelming that (to use an analogy) you will end up buying particle board and paying real wood prices. You can’t feel quality in a showroom because low quality and high quality foams can feel exactly the same. The difference is that if you buy lower quality materials … what is happening to you now will happen once again with your next mattress … and possibly much sooner (quality levels have gone down since your last mattress purchase).

As you will read about in the link … it’s also important to know that the two main functions of a mattress are to provide pressure relief and spinal alignment in all your sleeping positions. The materials that you use to do this are a matter of preference. Memory foam, polyfoam, latex, innersprings, and all the other materials that are used in mattresses can all do this very well in the right combinations. No matter which material you prefer … the most important part is to use the highest quality of that material that your budget will allow. Memory foam for example in lower quality/density versions can soften and degrade faster than most other materials. The material you choose and prefer is not an “answer” as much as it is a preference and just one possible solution to the real goal which is what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and which uses high quality materials (no matter which material you prefer) that will last longer than lower quality versions of the same material.

So as you will read … the goal is to only deal with manufacturers or retailers that can tell you the quality of the material you are testing so that no matter how a mattress “feels” in a showroom that you have some assurance it will feel similar 6 months or a year down the road (and of course much longer).

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in your area (and region) are listed in post #2 here.

Again … the key to remember is to deal with “experts” that have the knowledge and experience to help you make the best and most suitable choices, so that you don’t have to become one yourself. Also … no matter what mattress you are considering or who you are dealing with it’s always important that you know the quality of the materials that are in it. If you aren’t dealing with someone who knows about mattress materials and can “translate them” for you … then you can always post the details they give you here for some feedback.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I’ve actually been reading this site and all of your suggestions for the last day or so.
I was particularly interested in everything you had to say about latex.
You had listed the company Sleeping Organic in a response to someone else. They are in Charleston, SC and I like everything I’ve read about the company.
My husband and I have already decided it’s the way for us to go and we have an appointment with them this coming Wed.
I’ll let you know how it goes. You are doing a wonderful service here. The more of your posts I read, the more I felt I could trust everything you had to say.
I like the idea of a latex mattress for many reasons. In particular, I think it will resolve the issues of smell and heat that others have complained about.

Hi mimi42,

I’ve had some good conversations with Brandon at SleepingOrganic and he certainly “knows his stuff” and I think highly of him.

Thanks for your kind comments :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to your feedback after your appointment.

Phoenix

[quote=“iBuyer” post=9745][quote=“Phoenix” post=9725]Hi iBuyer,

You are probably wise to look at this with any foam material but certainly with memory foam. If you are “on the edge” in terms of softness (and alignment) then you can count on some degree of softening and it’s also true that sleeping on a memory foam mattress over the course of the night will be softer and allow you to sink deeper into the mattress than testing it for a shorter time. I would definitely leave some room for softening over the first 90 days or so because with 4" of memory foam material there will certainly be some softening in the initial weeks before the break in period is over and foam softening becomes more gradual.

Two things to keep in mind are the floor model you are testing (how far along is it in the break-in period) and some “room” (hard to quantify I know) for softening so that you aren’t tempted to buy a mattress that is on the edge of your alignment range and may go over the edge during the break in period.

Interestingly enough … you can already buy zip covers of various types for mattresses in different thicknesses so if you ever needed to cut open your mattress and do “surgery” then you could remove layers and replace both the layers and your current cover with a zip version as long as the other layers and components were still in good condition and weren’t glued together (which can make removing them more difficult).

Phoenix[/quote]

Well we did just that, we got to test another that was older. We have ruled out the Jubilance model because it’s just plain too soft for me. (it pays to go back and test and re-test)

Our favorite model is still the Applause Firm. Neither too soft or too firm. I kept hashing back and forth over this model, because of your analysis of the components. All in all, it didn’t Feel like a memory foam mattress, which is fine with us. In the other thread, I noted that we both elevated the latex bed Natural Elegance to first place, which as you know, creates a new problem.[/quote]

Phoenix, I wanted to serve up a reply to you as appreciation for all your hard work. Ours was a special case, in that we had a retailer willing to give a very respectable “store credit” on a 3 year old mattress we hated. It was not eligible for warranty, something else we learned the hard way.

After many, many trials and tests, we finally narrowed our store choices down to the iSeries Enjoyment, and the previously mentioned latex bed from Natural Elegance (King Coil’s brand).

My favorite bed was the Natural Elegance. Quite a bit more than the iSeries Enjoyment, and he wouldn’t budge. My significant other voted for the iSeries. While I was a bit uneasy about the lack of information and the name/model changes of the Natural Elegance bed, (not to mention it was over 1 year old on the floor), I still loved it. However, I compromised (and saved me $$$) in the process;)

After nearly three months, I’m definitely ok with it. I sleep like a rock most of the time, and I find that while a tad firmer than my ideal, my back is aligned, no lower back or neck issues. All is well. I was also a bit more relieved at my purchase since you took the time to explain the materials and relative long term value. Would I pay full price for this bed? Nope. I’d follow you guidance and order one, since we have no manufacturers or better retailers here.

The Natural Elegance latex was the best and only latex bed we loved. We did try others from Boyd and other makers, and the prices were high, and the NE bed still won out. In the end, the price of the NE latex was too high, and I felt uneasy that, in my mind, I would be paying top dollar for a bed that was manufactured in 2011, and had been replaced by a new brand name with the same limited to no information.

As you say in another post, it’s really too bad that they are so incredibly secretive about their latex lines. It’s obvious they have a high quality product, although the prices are in nosebleed territory. Oh well as they say.

This mattress has the double layer of cool action gel foam, and then the Duet coils under. The foundation was included, so the net price, to me, was far lower than anything other than a real crap bed. I will try to come back every now and again to add any input if anything changes.

Thank you Phoenix for making me far more informed than I was. I definitely would have jumped on the best “floor model feel”, and likely would have been in the very same situation in 2-4 years, Again! Hopefully that won;t happen. But if it does, I’ll stay informed by checking your mattress forum from time to time. You know your stuff, very well :slight_smile:

Hi iBuyer,

I don’t get to say this too often when someone buys a major brand … but … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you mentioned your circumstances were somewhat different and not only did you take advantage of this but you did great research, made meaningful comparisons, and made an informed decision based on your personal “value equation”.

In the end … that’s the goal of every person that comes to this forum.

Thanks too for being the “trigger” for some great discussion that will hopefully help many others as well.

I’m looking forward to any further feedback you have the chance to share over time.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Can you answer/help me with a few questions. My gf and I are upgrading from a queen Novaform Roma Sera that we both really like. We now need a king mattress and have been overwhelmed testing mattresses for the past month. I have stumbled on to your website numerous times and now feel even more overwhelmed!
I sleep very hot and need a cool bed which is most important. I discovered the Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress on Amazon tonight and they appear to have good reviews (though I am concerned by no warranty). We slept on a Simmons ComforPedic and iComfort and liked them both. I am now intrigued by the Ultimate Dreams Euro and Latex mattresses though I have never slept on a latex bed for an extended period. Can you guide me in the right direction for zip code 97501 to try out some latex mattresses or some other less known foam mattress brands. Thanks,

Dave

Hi schroedernd,

The first place I would start is post #1 here which is perhaps the most important post on the forum and will give you the basic information and guidelines you need to make the best possible choices.

As you may know … Dreamfoam (which is a brand name of Brooklyn Bedding is an invited manufacturing member of this site which means that I believe they are among the best quality and value in the country. They don’t have a return policy on their Amazon mattresses although they do offer a layer exchange on some of their mattresses and they do have a 10 year warranty on their mattresses.

The better options I’m aware of in the Medford, Or area are listed in post #4 here and these both of these carry latex mattresses that you can test.

Phoenix

Thank you for suggesting SleepingOrganic in Charleston. We had our appointment with Brandon yesterday and placed an order with him. He was extremely accommodating and we were able to try different configurations of layers.
We originally thought my husband and I would have different needs for each side, but we wound up doing the same on each side.
I need to mention, both of us alternate between sleeping on our backs and on our sides.
We chose:
Layer #1 N4Talalay - Soft
Layer #2 D80 Dunlop - Medium
Layer #3 D75 Dunlop - Medium
Layer #4 D85 Dunlop - Firm

We’ve been married 50 years and have never had anything but firm mattresses, more recently with pillowtops. The idea of having such a soft top is new to us, but it felt oh so comfortable. Of course, the true test will be sleeping on it. However, we have a lot of options for exchanging layers and even returning the whole mattress in 90 days.

I’ll keep you updated when it arrives and we get to sleep on it.

Hi mimi42,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Latex is unusual in that it can be both very soft and supportive at the same time. Part of the reason it can feel so soft is because it is very “point elastic” which means that it can conform to the body very well and relieve pressure (as effectively as memory foam but with a different “feel” and less “in the mattress”). It is also very good at adapting to different weights and sleeping positions. This means that even softer latex can keep you in good alignment which is the real goal of what people call “support”.

Your mattress sounds great and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

As always Phoenix, I appreciate you as a class act. I love to “stimulate” discussion, even if just for the exercise.

You’re one of the most knowledgable hosts I’ve ever read on a forum. I’ll be gracious enough to contribute if I have something worthwhile.

A good ending is also a good beginning.

Hello Phoenix,

My husband and I are currently looking to buy a memory foam mattress. We purchased a stearns and foster euro pillowtop mattress last year and we hate it, we wake up tired and in pain each day. We have been looking at mattresses at the regular retail mattress stores, and we happened to like the Serta icomfort mattresses. I wanted to do some research before we bought another mattress and end up hating it like the one we have now. That is when I stumbled upon this site and I have read many of the comments you have made about serta and other big name brand mattresses. I never thought about it before but what you say makes a lot of sense and its true, a lot of these companies charge so much money and you are not getting the quality mattress they advertise. We spent a good amount of money on the Stearns and Foster mattress we bought last year and after several months it became our worst nightmare. I have decided to take your advice and avoid buying one of the major brand mattresses, and look for a local manufacturer, but I need some help. I found a website called healthy foundations, they advertise a 10’’ memory foam mattress that seems to have some of the components you talk about, I think. Are you familiar with this site and would you recommend this would be a good purchase. Do you know of any local manufacturers in my area. I live in Atlanta Georgia. Thanks for all the helpful information, if I had not stumbled upon the site I would be sleeping on a Serta icomfort mattress right now and based on what you have said I would have been disappointed.

Hi msanchez,

Healthy Foundations offer only one mattress and there are some things I would want to know before I considered them.

The guidelines I use for a memory foam mattress are here. Healthy Foundations doesn’t say whether their memory foam is CertiPur certified but they do say it’s made in North America which is the minimum alternative I would consider. I would ask them however if their foam was CertiPur certified (NOTE ADDED: They are now on the CertiPur list and they now list their specs which are within the guidelines I would suggest using)

They meet the other qualifications that are listed.

So they meet the criteria and In terms of “value” they are certainly reasonable. I wouldn’t put them in the “best value” category though compared to some of the other options that are available to you in post #12 here.

The other difficulty I would have is that they only sell one mattress and while it has a similar construction and quality/density of materials to the old Tempur Cloud Supreme (and Cloud Supreme Breeze) in terms of foam density and layering … they say it has a different feel and performance. Before I purchased a mattress online I would want to know a little more about whether it was likely to be suitable for my personal needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) because there is no such thing as a “one size fits all” mattress (which they themselves acknowledge). They suggest to read the reviews to get a sense of how it feels but this is both misleading and confusing because a mattress can feel very different to different people and their reviews don’t include the body type and sleeping position of the people who bought them and include many conflicting opinions about how the mattress feels (which is typical for reviews which you can read about here). Different body types, sleeping positions, preferences, and sensitivities means that each person can perceive the same mattress very differently (which is clear from the reviews).

Without being able to test a mattress with an online purchase I would want to improve the odds that a mattress was suitable for my needs and preferences and I would have some difficulty with an online retailer who only sold one mattress (and presumably would suggest that anyone try it) and didn’t have the ability to match different models to different people or at least indicate which mattress it may approximate unless I was confident it was a good “match” for me. Outside of their trial offer … they don’t have a way to “match” different people to a mattress. Of course they do offer a return if it doesn’t work which is a good thing and reduces the risk of any online purchase but I would be much more inclined to increase the odds of making the most suitable choice possible in the first place.

So overall they are a better choice than most of the mainstream mattresses that are available in terms of quality/value but I would personally prefer a retailer or manufacturer with a little better selection and a little better overall “value”.

Some of the better options and possibilities in the Atlanta area are listed in post #2 here and I would certainly do some local testing on some good quality and value mattresses where you know the layering so that at the very least you have some reference points and at best you test a mattress that is exactly what you want and matches your “personal value equation”.

Phoenix