The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi Lisa,

The most important part of any mattress is that it provides pressure relief and keeps your spine in alignment in all your sleeping positions. Everything after that is about durability (quality of materials and construction and how long will it perform these functions), preferences (all the subjective factors that are part of ā€œcomfortā€ for each person), and value (the price you would pay for one mattress that provides you with the ā€œmixā€ of features that you need and want vs the price of another that will do the same). If a mattress doesnā€™t do the two things that are most important (pressure relief and alignment), then no matter how good its ā€œvalueā€ or quality or how good it feels in the store ā€¦ it isnā€™t the mattress for that individual.

Every different type of material or mattress has a wide variety of different types and layering and construction methods ā€¦ all of which are designed to help different people with different weights, body shapes, sleeping positions, preferences, and budgets to find a mattress that relieves pressure, keeps you in alignment, feels good while you are on it, and will last as long as your budget allows. There are stories of people who have purchased a $50,000 mattress that will last a lifetime, but the mattress didnā€™t do what they needed and wanted it to do and it would be a lifetime of poor sleep. Many others purchase a ā€œperfectā€ mattress for $500 or $1000 that will only last a few years ā€¦ but those few years would be years of great sleep. Others yet purchase a budget mattress that also didnā€™t do what they needed or wanted it to do and they would have a few years of poor sleep.

No matter what your budget ā€¦ the most important part of buying a mattress is PPP. Pressure relief, Posture, and Preference. More than anything your budget will determine how ā€œperfectlyā€ and how long the materials and construction of your mattress does this.

Each consumer really faces a choice between learning how to ā€œcontructā€ a mattress which satisfies all these things for them or finding a reliable outlet that can be trusted to do this for them. An online purchase will generally require more education to replace the ability to actually test the mattress. Most will choose a combination of the two (education and reliable advice from a knowledgeable outlet that has the customers best interest in mind). For most people ā€¦ the reliable advice is the most difficult to find and they often end up buying a mattress that is either completely overpriced or may have great value for someone else but doesnā€™t have the PPP for that person.

Because there are so many variables ā€¦ the easiest and ā€œbestā€ choice for most is a local manufacturer. As a group they generally have much better value but most important of all ā€¦ they will have the knowledge and expertise to ā€œfitā€ a mattress to your needs and preferences inside your budget. They will also be able to tell you why a mattress costs more or less than another so you can make informed choices. These types of factory direct outlets and/or sleep shops that sell mattresses that ā€œfitā€ with great value are worth their weight in gold ā€¦ especially if you can actually go there and test their mattresses and take advantage of their expertise in person. Nothing will ever be as ā€œaccurateā€ as personally testing a mattress in combination with knowing how to compare one mattress to another.

Without knowing how or being able to test a mattress for how it fits you for PPP ā€¦ you are somewhat rolling the dice unless you or the place you buy it from knows how to ā€œmatchā€ the online purchase with mattresses you have tested locally for PPP. If there is ever a choice between a local manufacturer (such as Flexus) or sleep shop who ā€œknows their stuffā€, (and puts your needs, budget, and preferences above their profit) and an online purchase, there is no doubt in my mind that I would go with the local manufacturer or a sleep shop who sells them over an online purchase. Without taking into account how a mattress fits and interacts with your unique needs and preferences, then you may end up with a high value mattress (based on price, durability, quality and materials) that doesnā€™t work for you.

All memory foam will soften (break in) over the first 90 days or so. The more closed cell and ā€œslow reactingā€ varieties of memory foam more so than the more open cell (faster reacting) varieties. There is often a few week adjustment period as well for any mattress as your body lets go of its habitual sleeping patterns which are compensating for a worn out or inappropriate mattress and ā€œrelearnsā€ to relax and sleep in alignment without having to tense muscles or constantly change sleeping positions to find pressure relief or relieve strain.

There is very little correlation between a mattress thickness and how appropriate it may be for you. Higher quality materials can and often should be used in thinner layers. If a mattress provides you with PPP ā€¦ then the thickness makes no difference. Any additional thickness above this is usually about buying unnecessary material.

Since you have already purchased the Sams Club mattress ā€¦ I would give it at least a few days to see how it goes and if the back pain changes in either direction. If it is clearly creating back pain (from sleeping out of alignment) ā€¦ then this would be more about how appropriate the layering was for you than about the material value of the mattress itself and I would certainly return it and ā€œstart againā€ ā€¦ with the help of a local manufacturer.

The rest, recovery, and healing we get from good and deep sleep IMO is too important to leave to chance alone. In a case like yours where there are high quality and value manufacturers and outlets so close to you ā€¦ this is where I would go if your mattress doesnā€™t work out for you. ā€œBetterā€ is always more about how a mattress works for you than about the ā€œcommodity costā€ of the materials in it.

Phoenix

Hi Sleepy-in-AZ,

In general ā€¦ the material in a pillowtop and why it is there at all has more to do with a mattress than the actual fact that it has a pillowtop. While it is certainly a form of layering which can affect the feel of a mattress ā€¦ in most cases (especially with major manufacturers), pillowtops as they are most commonly made are mainly a way to cater to initial perceptions that donā€™t lead to long term pressure relief, alignment, or comfort and are more often than not a way of selling more cheap foam than is necessary. What is in a pillowtop is always more important than the pillowtop style of contruction itself. A tight top mattress can be just as soft as a pillowtop if the right materials are used for the person ā€¦ and with most ā€œmass marketā€ mattresses ā€¦ pillowtops should completely avoided as they are no more than a way to add some cheap soft polyfoam (that will quickly break down) to a mattress and charge an inflated price.

To give you a ā€œmass marketā€ example of a major manufacturer that uses 3" of latex (a lower quality type of latex than yours) over a similar support base (High Density polyfoam) ā€¦ the Sealy Embody
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: us-mattress.com/sealy-insightful.html
which sells for $1800 (queen mattress only) would be comparable. While this would be roughly comparable to what you purchased (yours uses higher quality latex though) ā€¦ both would feel different to different people depending on sleeping position, weight, height, and individual preferences. One personā€™s ā€œsoftā€ is often another personā€™s ā€œfirmā€ depending on the layers they are feeling in the mattress and their own sensitivity to pressure, spinal alignment, and subjective preferences and sensitivities.

A mattress review that is based on other peopleā€™s perceptions about a mattress and that is given in the excitement of a new purchase means very little and is a major cause of poor choices in a mattress. Words like ā€œsoftā€, ā€œfirmā€, ā€œcomfortableā€, and ā€œsupportiveā€ are usually misused and are often talking about different things and different mattress layers through the perceptions of different people with very different needs and preferences. The quality of materials used (durability) and how well a mattress provides pressure relief, alignment, and comfort for you are much more important than any review. Most people who submit a review of their mattress have little idea of the materials in their mattress or how long it will continue to ā€œperformā€ in the same way it did when new and the reviews are based on fairly vague notions of initial ā€œcomfortā€. Personal testing and/or knowledge of the materials and layering in a mattress is really the only way to have an idea of how suitable a mattress will be for any individual or long it will last. Latex is the most durable of all foam materials (latex, polyfoam, and memory foam) and will keep its properties longer than any other foam. The HD polyfoam used under it is a good ā€œbudgetā€ choice for a support layer under the latex (even though the embody isnā€™t what I would call a ā€œbudgetā€ mattress ā€¦ it should be).

Most people who purchase from Sleepez make their purchase online (they donā€™t live in Phoenix) and Shawn (the owner) and the people who answer the phone are well aware of the discount for The Mattress Underground members. Since it is less common for the employees in the store to have a member buy a mattress in the case of SleepEz ā€¦ they may not all be aware of it. A quick call to Shawn at their online number and letting him know where you purchased it will rectify the 5% discount.

Congratulations on your purchase :). I understand the buyers remorse as most people have been somewhat ā€œmisledā€ into believing all the misleading advertising and stories that dominate the market or that ā€œbrandā€ is more important than materials and quality. You did well IMO.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I went to flexus comfort and tried their memory foam. The 5lbs seems much firmer and better for me than the one I got for Sams Club. I was talking with the rep and he said that if I have tried latex. He went to show me a full 100% latex bed that is flippable. The price is out of my range but he indicated I can work something out. My question is that when I laid on the latex bed it felt so good that I wanted to buy it. However I didnā€™t do any research on latex at all and will be going in blindly. He was telling me they have a 6in latex for 1500 vs the 8 in latex for 1900. What is the difference between the 6inch and the 8inch?

Also what should I know before going back to them to ask them questions? Its a family own business and they make their mattress on site, so Is there anything I should be asking or I should know they have in the bed before committing?

Thank you again.

Hi Lasdj,

The most important part of buying a mattress is to know the 2 basic functions of a mattress

Hereā€™s an article on the pros and cons of memory foam and hereā€™s an article on the pros and cons of latex.

My first priority would be to decide on what type of foam I wanted in the comfort layer (the upper few inches of the mattress). This is the layer that is mainly responsible for pressure relief and a big part of the ā€œfeelā€ of a mattress. The primary choices here are memory foam and latex ā€¦ both of which are about equal in pressure relief but different in feel (provided the latex is soft enough to provide adequate pressure relief as it comes in different ILDā€™s or levels of firmness/softnes)

Following this is the decision about the material to use in the support layer. This will normally be either an innerspring, polyfoam, or latex foam. Memory foam cannot be used in the support layers as all memory foam is too soft for this. While latex is an excellent choice for this as different layerings and the nature of latex itself can provide support for a wide range of positions and sleeping profiles ā€¦ innersprings and polyfoam have a different feel and can be used either for their feel or for budget considerations (latex is the most expensive and most durable support material but using polyfoam or an innerspring can reduce the cost of the mattress). Choosing a latex comfort layer over either innerpsprings or polyfoam is a common compromise to get the pressure relief and comfort of latex in a lower budget mattress.

More information about the different materials used in the comfort layers of a mattress is here and in the sub pages and about the different materials used in the support layers of a mattress is here and in the sub pages.

In general ā€¦ when you find a quality local factory direct manufacturer that has been in business for many years ā€¦ their experience, expertise, and advice is usually good and can be trusted. Based on my conversations with Henry (the owner) Flexus is one of these and their advice regarding pressure relief, alignment, durability, and value would be valuable.

In general a ā€œsingle coreā€ of 6" latex can be very suitable for some people however a thinner softer 2" or 3" comfort layer over this can provide better pressure relief for many ā€¦ particularly for side sleeping ā€¦ while the core (latex, innerpring, or polyfoam) can provide the support that keeps your heavier parts (hips) from sinking in too deeply.

As long as you are testing a mattress for pressure relief in the position that has the most ā€œpointy partsā€ (like hips and shoulders) and spinal alignment in all your sleeping positions, then everything else after this is a matter of preference (the different feels of latex, memory foam, innersprings, breathability, temperature, durability) and getting the best value within your budget. This is what I call PPP (pressure relief, posture, and preferences).

Finding a high quality and knowledgeable factory direct local manufacturer or sleep shop can save you a lot of research and learning ā€¦ while the articles I linked to should give you ideas about the types of questions you may wish to ask :).

Phoenix

Hi, Iā€™m Ron and new hereā€¦Iā€™m looking at the iComfort memory foam beds and am wondering if you know where I can get it at a discount, or a very similar bed (adjustable/wireless) at equal or lesser value than the iComfort in or around Indianapolis, IN?

Thanks!

Hi Ron ā€¦ and welcome,

As you probably know from this thread ā€¦ I consider the iComfort to have poor value (as are most of the national brands compared to other higher quality less expensive choices made by independent manufacturers). In the same way, the adjustable base that is sold with it is also significantly more than other almost identical options although they do have a matching cover and a zipper attachment which others donā€™t have. For reference ā€¦ the best prices I have seen for the major brands of adjustable bases are here so you can have a comparison before deciding whether it is worth purchasing the iComfort motion perfect base.

In terms of the mattress itself ā€¦ I normally recommend looking at local manufacturers for the best quality and value mattresses. For those who donā€™t have a local manufacturer near enough to where they live, then ā€œlay on mattressā€ testing done locally to find out the materials and layering of mattresses that best suits your needs and preferences can serve as a blueprint for an online purchase from a factory direct outlet which can help you to ā€œduplicateā€ the type and layering of mattress you prefer.

Your better choices in the Indianapolis area are listed in post #2 here

I would certainly tend to avoid the Mattress World, Mattress Firm, American Mattress type of outlets that are quite common in your area and typically sell national brands which have much lower quality and value and who do everything they can to discourage comparative shopping based on actual materials in a mattress.

Some online memory foam mattress choices are in this thread.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Wow! :slaphead: I wish I woud have found this site before buying our mattress! We just bought a second home in AZ and while I am experiencing buyerā€™s remorse, I do have a small silver lining. I am within the ā€œ60 day comfort guaranteeā€ and want to return my mattress. Problem is that I can not ā€œreturnā€ it for my money back just return it for a different name band mattress. We are considering the iComfort for no other reason other that they sell it there.

Any suggestions on other name brand mattresses that I wonā€™t want to throw out my window after a year?

Also, interestingly enough we also need a new mattress in our primary home in NH and was wondering if you have suggestions for manufacturers in that state!

Thank you so much in advance! Your information is invaluable!

Hi LiLiBug,

Itā€™s too bad about the Arizona situation because AZ has some very high quality and great value mattress manufacturers. If you let me know the name of the store though, ā€¦ Iā€™d be happy to take a look and see what they have that IMO may have better value.

There are not a lot of great options in NH but here are a few ā€¦ and if you are close enough to another state like MA to make a drive worthwhile, then there may be other options as well.

http://www.sunsetmattressfactory.com/index.htm Ossipee. Independent factory direct manufacturer that makes some ā€œold styleā€ and good quality innerspring/cotton mattresses with working box springs that are good value.

Milford. Retail direct outlet. Carries several memory foam and latex options from Therapedic which may have better than average quality and value.

Various NH and MA outlets. Retail direct outlet for Jordans Mattress Factory which has their own house brand (I would ignore the major brands they carry). Their memory foam mattress descriptions donā€™t say the type of memory foam or density but the polyfoam used in the support core is a lower density/quality (1.6 lbs) than is usually used. Their latex over polyfoam mattress uses better quality poly under the latex but doesnā€™t give the type or layer thickness of the latex which would be important to know (so you know that itā€™s not just a meaningless layer hidden between other layers of cheaper foam).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: milliondollarmattress.com/contact.html| Archived Footprint 2: jordans.com/About%20Us/Store%20Locations.aspx?source=topNav

Post #4 here has a larger list centered in the Merrimack, NH area (including these three).

If a quality mattress that fits your needs and preferences and has good value is not available locally, ā€¦ then the mattresses that you have tested and provide the best combination of pressure relief, sleeping alignment, and your preferences can be used as a ā€œguidelineā€ for an online purchase which may have much better value than what is available locally.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! It is Sleep America and I can not say that they havenā€™t been extremely helpful and willing in taking our mattress back! Very accomidating!

We like the feel of the iComfort so something comparable would be nice. Also how can I negotiate the best price if in fact an iComfort is our only option?

Thank you so much, you really do provide a great source of reference!

Thanks again Phoenix,
I am probably going with the latex however one question that I was unsure of, is there a difference in latex that has deep quilting vs no quilting at all? I saw on sleepez site they have quilted latex. When I talked to Henry he had quilted latex as well but informed me that he was moving away from it because it takes away from the overall feel of the latex. Is that correct? or should i get the latex quilted?

Also the one I am looking at from flexus is their 9 inch latex, 6inch dunlop with 3 inch talalay. not sure if their latex is 100% natural or blended.

but sleepez has the Select Sleep Latex Mattress 8500 for the same price as what flexus is sellingā€¦should sleepez be a better choice since it is the same price and its more customizeable? flexus comfort glues their pieces together so there is no exchanging. is it bad that sleep ez dont glue their pieces and it could start to move around?

sorry for the numerous questions but i am about to pull the trigger on the bed.

-lisa

Hi lasdj,

Quilting over latex can certainly affect the feel of latex in several ways depending on the type of quilting and its thickness and the tightness of the quilt and the ticking.

In general, the softer the latex underneath, the more the quilt will affect its ability to conform to your body profile and relieve pressure.

If the quilt is made with fibers like wool or synthetic fibers, then as they compress, they can get firmer and also slightly interfere with the ability of the latex to compress and take on your body shape. This can cause some pressure issues over time in some while for others, it can help with alignment as they can benefit from sinking in slightly less.

They can also make a mattress with slightly firmer latex on top feel slightly softer and they (especially some soft polyfoam) give a ā€œhand feelā€ (the feel of the top of the mattress when its pressed in a bit) and a ā€œlookā€ that people are more used to.

In some mattresses ā€¦ the wool can also be used as a method of fire retardancy instead of other methods like a ā€œsockā€ or various other ā€œcompoundsā€ or chemicals which are added to fabric or foam to pass the fire regulations.

Finally, most fibers (especially natural ones) are quite breathable and can help to regulate sleeping temperature staying cooler in summer and warmer in winter. They are often added to a mattress or a mattress protector or pad for this reason.

All in all, it is a series of tradeoffs that can benefit some and detract for others. Either way they will certainly affect how the mattress as a whole performs.

If a mattress is finished without a zipper ticking ā€¦ then a quilting on top cannot be removed or exchanged and IMO ā€¦ any wool or other fiber that is added would be better added in the form of a mattress protector or pad as this would allow the protector or pad to be exchanged if necessary. If it has a zipper cover, then the cover can be exchanged if necessary. All of these ā€œticking/quiltingā€ adjustments and choices can ā€œfine tuneā€ the performance and feel of a mattress.

The ā€œsafestā€ bet if you have tested mattresses with a certain layering without a quilt would be to add any wool as a mattress protector. The trend ā€¦ with good reason ā€¦ is towards latex mattresses with soft latex and a thick stretchy ticking material on top rather than other materials (such as wool or polyfoam quilting) which can affect the feel of the soft latex. Having said this ā€¦ as long as the quilting material is ā€œtaken into accountā€ in terms of how it will affect a mattress, then it may still be a preference for some. Of course the choice of ticking/quilting materials can also affect the price of a mattress, not just its feel, as the ticking quilting is a significant part of the cost and the materials used in it vary widely in their cost.

If you have tested a mattress with a 3" comfort layer and it worked for pressure relief for your height/weight and sleeping position, then that ā€œpoints toā€ that thickness being good for you. If you were to consider other options, then it too should have a similar thickness and ILD of comfort layer (or the other layers of the mattress should be adjusted to accommodate a thinner layer). The 8500 has a 1.5" comfort layer and so is a very different mattress and not really comparable to the one you are testing at Flexus. The 10000 (with a 3" comfort layer) and built with similar lower layers would be much more directly comparable in terms of its construction.

If you have tested a mattress correctly for pressure relief and alignment in real life ā€¦ this is far more accurate than the ā€œtheoryā€ of an online purchase even with layer exchanges. While a DIY yourself mattress is a great way to construct a mattress when there is not something locally to actually test or that has good value, it can also be confusing if layers need to be exchanged in terms of deciding which layers to exchange and what should replace what. Even here ā€¦ local testing used as a blueprint is I believe very important.

My own mattress purchase for example was a ā€œfinishedā€ mattress with the layers glued together that had no real possibility of a comfort exchange (because it would have involved very large shipping costs) but I had done enough testing to know for sure exactly how every layer of the mattress would interact with each other and with me and my DH. For most who may not be quite as certain as I was of how every layer and ticking/quilting choice would affect their mattress and how it worked for them, this would have involved a huge risk.

In general, I would always choose a high quality/value mattress that I have personally tested over a DIY choice if the value (based in materials used and mattress construction) was roughly similar (within say 20%). If the value of a DIY that was similar to what you were testing was significantly better ā€¦ then I would choose this as the ā€œbestā€ option.

For those who do not have a factory direct manufacturer or other high value retail direct outlet close to them that is high quality/value, then an online purchase that can be adjusted through a layer exchange or through a complete mattress exchange at low cost would normally be the ā€œbestā€ choice. This would normally involve using local mattresses as a blueprint for the initial choices of materials, layering, and construction from the online source.

If a layered mattress is put together in a ticking that ā€œfitsā€ then the lack of gluing will not be an issue as latex doesnā€™t tend to shift in use unless the whole mattress is moved in which case itā€™s easy to align again. Gluing layers together or not though can change the feel and interaction of the layers.

Feel free to keep any questions coming as they hopefully will not only help you but many others who are facing the same choices :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Wow thats a great explanation and I am more at least purchasing the one from flexus. They were very helpful and will go with them. I will probably place the order later this week. Your entire website is very educational and perfect for anyone that has no idea what to expect. After scouring through your site I am not confident with my choices. I will report back after I get the mattress to report any issues or praises.

Thanks again Phoenix!

Hi Phoenix!

Your site is really helpful. Did you get my post about Sleep America? What do you think?

@Phoenix, thanks for your insight here. I have had a memory foam mattress for the last six years. The valleys created in the areas where my wife and I sleep are unbearable. The first couple of years were great, but now, we are in the market for another bed, but donā€™t want to repeat this same (costly) mistake again in five years. I like the idea of a foam and/or latex mattress, but donā€™t want to make the same mistake. The Sleep Innovations mattresses on Amazon get good ratings, but my wife wants to ā€œtry before we buy.ā€ Tough to do on Amazon. I just want a good night sleep again.

Doug

Hi LiLiBug,

Now its my turn to slap my head :slight_smile: ā€¦ sorry I must have skipped past it.

In looking at the Sleep America site ā€¦ they carry Sealy, Serta, Simmons, Stearns & Foster (Sealy), Kingsdown, Tempurpedic and Europa (made by IBC) ā€¦ all of which are top ten brands which I would tend to avoid as they typically have lower value than smaller local manufacturers or even regional or smaller national brands.

Of these ā€¦ I would probably look at the Europa line here to see if there is anything comparable in feel as they may have better value and materials ā€¦ although they too tend to put too much polyfoam on top of many of their mattresses. The Europa is also pocket coils rather than memory foam over polyfoam so the overall feel of the mattress will be different (which you may like more or less).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: ibcgroup.com/Products/Europa/

In terms of negotiating ā€¦ the iComfort will likely have little to no negotiating room as the prices are pretty much standardized by Serta and there is little benefit to selling it based on cheaper prices because it is very popular at the moment. The IBC may have more negotiation room but negotiating is a little more difficult when they already have your money :frowning:

The initial ā€œnegotiating stanceā€ I would take is to ask for a refund as an exception because there isnā€™t another mattress in the store that you really want (even if it costs you a few hundred in fees or costs you will come out ahead by starting over again). If that proves impossible as a ā€œhigher up decisionā€ exception ā€¦ then I would ask them for the layer by layer spec sheets of every mattress you are considering to ā€œproveā€ to you that none of them have more than an inch of soft polyfoam in the comfort layers (and preferably none) and so you can know the density of any memory foam you are considering exchanging for. Tell them that you really donā€™t want anything with low density memory foam in it either and that you want to know the exact density of every layer in the mattress (or type and ILD of any latex) so you can check on the quality of foam used. You can mention that you have been learning about the different types of foams and you can mention that you are aware of the durability issues connected with lower quality polyfoam and memory foam even though it may feel great at first. The goal here is to either know exactly what you are exchanging for or make it ā€œeasierā€ for them to lose you as a customer than keep you.

If they agree o a refund ā€¦ thatā€™s the best case. If they show you the specs, then it is likely that at least you will know what you are exchanging for and it will be easier to choose the best value/durability mattress (likely a Europa). If they donā€™t agree ā€¦ then I would do everything I could to persist and go ā€œup the lineā€ as far as you could before agreeing to anything else or exchanging for a mattress based on feel alone without knowing what is in it.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Hi dcaldw,

The first thing I would do is to test a few local memory foam and latex mattresses to help you decide which direction you want to lean (either memory foam or latex in the comfort layers).

If you do decide to purchase online ā€¦ then the return policy or the exchange policy of the outlet you are buying from becomes a primary factor in your purchase along with knowing that the mattress you are considering is layered in a similar way to mattresses that you have tested locally.

Since the choice of comfort layers usually boils down to latex or memory foam (there are other choices which you can read about here but these are the most generally available). It may also be worth reading about the pros and cons of memory foam and the pros and cons of latex.

Usually your best value in terms of materials/quality/price is from a factory direct manufacturer or a retail direct outlet that sells mattresses made locally or regionally. If you let me know the city where you live Iā€™d be happy to take a look and see if I know of any that may be near you.

Taking your time and specific testing for PPP (pressure relief, posture, and preferences) rather than just an overall feel of ā€œcomfortā€ in the store will go a long way to making a good decision (either a local purchase or an online purchase) in combination with knowing about the durability of different types of materials and how long they will keep the properties they had when they were new. Knowing exactly what is in a mattress you are considering will also go a long way towards making meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Feel free to post along the way if you are unsure about any of the ā€œstoriesā€ or mattresses you encounter.

Phoenix

Thank you so much PHX! I will keep you posted. In the meantime, the information for our NH mattress is helpful. I will continue to research on your site to make sure I do not make the same mistake twice!!

:slight_smile:

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you again for sharing your wealth of knowledge and even rationale :slight_smile:

I have my bed now!!! It is so high (between the mattress / box spring)ā€¦ I LOVE THAT!!! :woohoo:
After laying on it though, it feels really firm :frowning: We went with Medium top layer of latex, since that was modeled in the store; now I wonder if we should have gone with ā€œsoftā€. We tried jumping on the bed and enlisting the help of our ā€œenergizedā€ children, butā€¦ high energy or not, jumping on latex is highly exhausting!!! :lol:

We have left the plastic in tact on the mattress and box springs and put the mattress protector over both and weā€™re going to give this a tryā€¦ I considered exploring mattress toppers, but I really would prefer not to go that route.

Since this is our first latex bed, I am not sure what my expectation should beā€¦ or how long the bed will feel so firm, and estimated time frame for breaking in the mattress. I understand preferences are subjective, but, a little direction on what to expect would be helpful :slight_smile:

Thank you again for all of your help!

Sleepy

Hi sleepy-in-az,

While each person has a different ā€œfeelingā€ about soft, medium, and firm, (depending on height, weight, and subjective perception and preferences) medium latex is probably a little firmer than most people are used to on the top of their mattress. Memory foam for example is under 15 ILD and often under 10 while polyfoam is often under 10 as well when used in the comfort layers or quilting of a mattress. Even the so called ā€œfirmā€ major brand innerspring mattresses usually have a few inches of very soft polyfoam on top and the firmness that people feel comes from feeling the layers under the soft polyfoam not from the polyfoam itself. So a feeling of firmness that comes from the layers on top of a mattress and the feeling of firmness that comes from what you feel ā€œthroughā€ the top layers from the layers in the middle or bottom of the mattress are quite different.

While latex in the 30-32 range can still be very pressure relieving (more so for heavier weights), it will have a more ā€œon the mattressā€ and firmer type of feel than softer latex. This is more noticeable for side sleeping which has more ā€œbony protrusionsā€ than other sleeping positions. Memory foam, especially the more closed cell denser varieties, tends to noticeably soften in the first few weeks of use because the thinnest cell walls will rupture and soften the foam. This initial softening is the ā€œbreak inā€ over the first few weeks and will be followed with a more gradual softening over time. These types of memory foam can sometimes benefit from walking on the mattress to shorten the ā€œbreak inā€ period (open up some of the internal cells).

Polyfoam is already more open celled than most memory foam and the initial softening is less than memory foam (although it breaks down or ā€œdegradesā€ more quickly over time than quality memory foam and latex). Latex is the most open celled of all and has the least initial softening of all foams and will tend to keep its initial firmness level to a much greater extent. It will also break down much more gradually than other foams over time which is why it is so durable and long lasting. This durability is part of the strength of latex but it also means that what you buy in the store doesnā€™t have to take ā€œsofteningā€ or ā€œbreak inā€ into account in the same way as other materials.

So what you have now will likely stay very close to the same firmness level and only soften more gradually over longer periods of time. It may often take a few weeks of sleeping to get used to a different feel than you are used to on the top of a mattress but the break in will be much less than other types of foam.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I have one last question, what is the difference in solid core base latex dunlop vs tri core? is one more expensive than the other or is the durability not the same.