The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

soooooooo,
I called Lebeda and they lady there said their memory foam mattresses used a 3 lb. foam (I think Iā€™ll pass)
I am going to visit Midwest Bedding, they said that they use 5.3 lb. foam,
and I also called and will visit Happy Mattress, they use 5 lb. foam.(their brand name is Restonic)

Not sure yet, but I will give latex a try, the guy at Happy Mattress, like you prefers this.

If you see any warning signs, please let me know, otherwise I will let you know what we choose.

thanks,
joe

Hi Joe,

Like you I would completely avoid 3 lb memory foam. This is because this low a density is the least supportive of all the memory foams (which is already the least supportive type of foam) and is almost certain to break down much more quickly than a higher density memory foam. Iā€™m somewhat surprised that Lebeda would be using this in anything but their least expensive memory foam mattresses (read really cheap) however if what you were told is correct ā€¦ I would not consider buying a memory foam mattress from them.

Iā€™m not familiar with ā€œHappy Mattressā€ except for the fact that they specialize in Restonic from their facebook page however Restonic is a national brand which tends IMO to be a better value than many other better known national brands. The only issue I have found with them is that they are a group of regional manufacturers who do not always use the same materials in different areas of the country so the quality of their ā€œsame nameā€ mattresses sometimes varies by region. If you are shown the specifics of the mattress construction layer by layer then of course you can easily determine the type and quality of materials they use. If they donā€™t know ā€¦ then they should be able to tell you who their regional licensee is and a quick phone call to the licensee would give you the information you would need (I have found most of the Restonic licensees I have talked to quite helpful in this regard). The different licensees are on the Restonic website here (the page is a little difficult to find)
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: restonic.com/nearretail.php

This varied construction by region is especially true in the Restonic mattresses with a latex comfort layer as some areas use up to 2" of polyfoam over the latex (even though some of these wonā€™t tell you this) while others only use latex without the polyfoam which of course means a higher quality mattress with less likelihood of body impressions. Their memory foam mattresses would not likely have polyfoam over the memory foam so would not have the same issue although different regions may use different qualities of foam in either the support core or the comfort layer.

If you have any questions after you have done some field testing at either Happy Mattress or Midwest ā€¦ feel free to ask.

Phoenix

Well,
i went to Happy mattress to check out both memory foam and latex mattresses.
you were right, the latex is leaps and bounds more comfortable than the memory foam.
Unfortunately, the top of the line latex was $2400ĀŗĀŗ, the next lowest was around $2000ĀŗĀŗ.
Is this too much to be paying for this kind of mattress?
The salesperson was knowledgeable and cordial, and we would like to get the top of the line mattress.
We could really tell the difference from price to price, but Iā€™m not sure if I will kick myself for not spending an additional $400ĀŗĀŗ for a 20 year mattress.
Do you have any input?

thanks,
joe

Hi Joe,

Iā€™m assuming that the mattresses you were testing at Happy mattress were the Restonic Latex.

What I would suggest is to use the ā€œprice no objectā€ approach to testing their mattresses ā€¦ using the guidelines on this site to test for comfort/pressure relief and support/spinal alignment independently.

When you have found the mattress that works the best for these, then ask for the cutaway or ā€œlayer by layerā€ description of the mattress that was best for you and the mattress that was best for your wife (they could be the same or different). If they can not or even will not provide it ā€¦ then the manufacturer (Restonic) likely would. Make sure you are looking at an actual cutaway or printed description where the layers described add up to the thickness of the mattress (except for about an inch of ticking/quilting). Finding out that an 11" mattress has 6" of latex would still leave several inches of other material (polyfoam most likely) which could become the weak link in your mattress (especially if the polyfoam is in the comfort layer). Iā€™d be happy to call them for you if this becomes necessary. I would need to know the model names of course to talk with the manufacturer.

Once you know this ā€¦ it would simply be a matter of ā€œduplicatingā€ that construction through one of the DIY (do it yourself) mattress manufacturers on the site, all of whom can build a mattress which is customized on each side to fit each of your needs. This would be covered by a single ticking (cover) so it would look like any other mattress.

It is almost certain that the final price you pay using this method will be hundreds lower than a retail store ā€¦ even one with good prices.

Iā€™m not sure what size of mattress you are looking at but even for a king size, the prices seem rather high unless they are about 11 inches or more and all latex (no other type of foam included) in which case it would be in the ballpark.

So the key once you have found the best construction for each of you is to find the ā€œstatsā€ of the mattress and then you can determine where the best value for that construction and layering can be found. In this case I doubt it will be Happy which would end up being your ā€œtesting groundsā€.

Feel free to keep any questions coming :slight_smile:

Phoenix

The most expensive, and most comfortable mattress is all Restonic latex, 11" thick.

thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

Do they have the layer by layer breakdown (thickness and ILD of each layer and type of latex)ā€¦ and the model name?

I canā€™t count the times I have seen someone being told that a mattress is ā€œall latexā€ but once the layers are known it turns out to be ā€œpartly latexā€ or in some cases just a few inches of latex. The type of latex is also important as Dunlop is generally less than Talalay.

You can also look at the law tag (the tag on the end of the bed) which will tell you the percentage of different materials in the mattress ā€¦ although it wonā€™t tell you the individual layers.

Phoenix

The latex is talalay.
If I remember correctly they had:
all memory foam @$1000
memory foam and latex @ $1500
latex and some other kind of foam? @ $2000
all latex @ $2500

(all approximate prices from approximate memory)

i did see some cut-aways and the latex had holes in it.

Hi Joe,

It possible that you may be getting some incorrect information here. For example there is no such thing as an ā€œall memory foamā€ mattress as memory foam can only be used in a comfort layer and is completely unsuitable for use as a support core. Alll memory foam maufacturers use a thicker support layer of either polyfoam or in some cases an innerspring or latex foam under the memory foam and the memory foam is only the top few inches.

In the same way ā€¦ a mattress that only has a single layer of latex either in between other layers or on top of other layers will often be called a ā€œlatex mattressā€ and the sales people will often only be passing on the information they have been told which is sometimes completely wrong. Many times a sales person will not even know that the mattress they have been taught to sell as a ā€œlatex mattressā€ is not completely latex. This is why a cutaway or layer by layer description is so important. If there is even 2" of polyfoam hidden inside a latex mattress ā€¦ the polyfoam can become the weak link (depending on where in the mattress the polyfoam is and to some degree the type of polyfoam). This could result in a mattress that only lasts half as long as an all latex mattress. All latex foam does have ā€œholesā€ from the metal spikes or pincores that are used to ā€œsetā€ or vulcanize the latex in its manufacturing.

The thickness of each layer and the ILD or each layer also plays a critical role in how the mattress ā€œperformsā€ in terms of both pressure relief (comfort) and spinal alignment (support).

If you know the model name of each mattress you are describing ā€¦ it should be easier to find out the specs of the individual layers.

It would also help to know the mattress size you are looking at as this would make a big difference in whether the prices you have been given represent good value.

Phoenix

thanking you in advance!
I went to Midwest Mattress and ordered a talalay latex mattress with a nice soft cover for about $900.
It will be done in about a week and I will let you know what we think of it after itā€™s delivered.
The guy there, Mark, was aware of your site and he was a great guy to deal with. I also felt great about the deal, because i felt a bit more educated in my purchase because of you site. thanks,
joe

Hello Phoenix,

Your posts have been quite helpful. Iā€™m looking for a new mattress and have been seriously considering the Serta iComfort, but it sounds like the novaform is the same mattress at a substantially lower price, from what you have saidā€¦

My question for you is on the life-span of the mattresses. The Serta iComfort has a 25 year warranty and the Novaform has a 20 year warranty. But from your posts, it looks like youā€™re saying the foams in these mattresses are more likely to break down after 5 years. When the foam breaks down, does the mattress keep the same form such that the warranty wouldnā€™t make a difference?

Thanks,

Sean

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the site helped you.

Congratulations on your new mattress ā€¦ and Iā€™m looking forward to your report :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Jaxw82,

While the Icomfort and the Novaform use the same memory foam manufacturer, the Icomfort has a slightly higher density memory foam than the Novaform. As you are probably aware from this thread though ā€¦ I donā€™t think either of them are particularly good value and IMO there is better value in both price categories.

As you ā€œsuspectā€ ā€¦ most warranties are a sales gimmick and have nothing to do with how long a mattress will last. There are so many ā€œexclusionsā€ on a warranty that the only reasonable way to be able to tell how long a mattress will last is to know the type of materials it is made of. The only real value of a warranty is to guard against manufacturing defects (such as seams coming apart etc) which tend to show up early in the life of a mattress. The softening and/or breakdown of memory foam is considered ā€œnormalā€ and unless it is really extreme ā€¦ is not covered under warranty.

While a denser memory foam will last longer than a memory foam that is less dense ā€¦ when memory foam softens and/or breaks down and loses the qualities that make it initially attractive ā€¦ it still has enough ability to weakly spring back that once your weight is removed the ā€œdepressionā€ will almost always be less than the warranty exclusion ā€¦ even though it has softened and/or broken down so much that it no longer provides adequate pressure relief and no longer has any supportive abilities.

High quality memory foam (made by a quality manufacturer and over 5lbs/cubic foot) can last 10 years or so while some of the lowest quality memory foams can begin to break down after only a few months (sometimes even weeks). Mid quality memory foam (in the range of 4-5 lbs) can reasonably last a few years however exactly how long is difficult to predict as it would depend on the memory foam manufacturer and on the use of the mattress.

Polyfoam used in the top layers of a mattress also can break down very quickly and still have enough ā€œspring backā€ that once weight is removed it will also not show a large enough impression to be covered under warranty.

In a ā€œbudgetā€ mattress ā€¦ I would not consider any memory foam under 4 lbs/cubic foot and the shorter lifespan could be offset by the significantly lower price. In a higher priced mattress ā€¦ I would not consider anything under 5 lbs/cubic foot made by a reputable manufacturer.

In general ā€¦ as soon as you encounter a sales person that is using a warranty as a form of reassurance or as part of a ā€œclosingā€ technique ā€¦ its time to ā€œrunā€. Outside of manufacturing defects which is much more rare ā€¦ they are not worth the paper they are written on. Again ā€¦ the only way to tell how long a mattress can reasonably be expected to last is to know exactly what is in it.

I believe that someone who is in the market for a mattress would almost certainly be better off to purchase from a local factory direct manufacturer with a good reputation (what I call ā€œmattress peopleā€) who could tell you exactly what is in the mattress ā€¦ how long it can be expected to last ā€¦ and will give you better pricing and higher quality than a ā€œmajorā€ brand. They can also help you ā€œcustomizeā€ a mattress to your exact needs (body weight/shape and sleeping style) and will be more concerned about ā€œgetting it rightā€ for you than making a sale. They know that the sale is a side effect of quality, service and value.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

First and foremost thank you for all of the time and effort youā€™ve put into helping people on this site. I was wondering if you could shed some insight into these two products:

1. The NovaformĀ® Mattress with NutraTempĀ® Memory Foam for $899.99
    ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10317839&whse=BCCA&topnav=&cat=22508&b=1&lang=en-CA#BVRRWidgetID

Features:

30.5 cm (12 in.) plus in overall thickness
7.6 cm (3 in.) of NutraTempĀ® temperature-neutral, premium-quality memory foam top layer
5.1 cm (2 in.) of highly resilient spring foam
17.8 cm (7 in.) of thick premium base foam support layer
Two-toned, luxury circular-stretch knit, channel quilted fabric cover
240 g weight polyester-cotton top with WSR (water and stain-resistant fabric protection) and polyester side panels
Flame-retardant cover
100% hypoallergenic foams
Durable and long-lasting
Memory foam moulds to your body; returns to original shape after use
Relieves pressure points and improves circulation
Great for platform beds and slatted frames
Box spring not included
Compressed and packed for delivery, with easy-to-follow instructions for setup and optimal use
Memory foam made in USA

1. Novaform Gel Memory Foam Mattress for $699.99
    ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10340057&whse=BCCA&topnav=&cat=22508&b=1&lang=en-CA

Features:
30.5 cm (12 in.) plus in overall thickness
6.4 cm (2.5 in.) of gel memory foam top layer
6.4 cm (2.5 in.) of convoluted foam
17.8 cm (7 in.) of support foam base
Patented gel-infused memory foam technology
Combination of high-end memory foam and gel for less cradling, more support and reduced contact area to keep you cooler and more comfortable
Luxury knit top cover
100% CFC-free hypoallergenic foam
Durable
Moulds to your body; returns to original shape after use
Relieves pressure points and improves circulation
Box spring not included
Compressed and packed for delivery, with easy-to-follow instructions for setup and optimal use
Memory foam made in USA

These two products seem very similar to me, with the minor exception of the first two layers of foam. Would you happen to know which one is better quality? Also my girlfriend and I are on the lighter side (I am 140 lbs and she is 115 lbs) so there is that to consider as well. Thank you in advance!!

Hi Jacko123,

The good news is that Sleep Innovations is an American manufacturer of memory foam which is listed on the Certi-Pur site so their memory foam has been tested to some degree for VOCā€™s and durability.

The not so good news is that the most important way to tell the quality of memory foam is the density or lbs/cubic foot and this is not listed for either mattress. Every manufacture makes memory foam in several different densities and knowing the density of a particular memory foam is one of the most important parts of making a purchase as it has a major effect on the feel and the durability of a memory foam. They also donā€™t list any specs for the support foam which they are using under the memory foam which is also a major part of the support characteristics of a memory foam mattress.

I tried to call the customer support center but they are closed because of Hurricane Irene so I couldnā€™t find out the information I would need before I would consider purchasing either mattress.

In general terms ā€¦ I am not a great fan of the gel memory foam and I find the claims a little gimmicky. I calculated the density of the novaform gel memory foam from the shipping weight on the topper (earlier in this thread) and it turned out to be around 4 lbs (medium quality) however the gel itself is very dense so the memory foam itself may be a little less. The convoluted foam under it would be very soft so overall this mattress would be likely to be softer and allow you to sink in a little deeper than the Nutratemp however because of the lack of meaningful information they provide about ether mattress this would be impossible to know for sure.

The Nutratemp description also says that there is 2" of highly resilient foam under the memory foam but I believe that ā€œhighly resilientā€ is likely misleading since there is an actual ā€œcategoryā€ of foam called HR (high resilience) which is a high quality polyfoam which has a specific definition (2.5 lbs/cu ft and a support factor of 2.4 and higher) and I donā€™t believe in any way that they are using this in the mattress.

Because neither mattress describes the foams they are using ā€¦ itā€™s really impossible to know the quality or the characteristics of either. I would not normally consider any mattress which does not supply this information unless a phone call can supply it. Without it you would be buying an unknown quality and there are just too many places to purchase a mattress which willingly supplies the information needed to make an informed decision to spend much time on those that donā€™t.

Costco (along with WalMart and Sams Club) has a great return policy so at least you would only be out your time if either mattress didnā€™t work out for you but I also believe that there is better value available and I personally wouldnā€™t purchase either mattress. Both WalMart and Sams Club have mattresses which use Aerus memory foam which I believe is one of the better memory foams.

Local independent manufacturers are also a great place to shop for any type of mattress including memory foam since in general they will provide you with accurate and reliable information about the materials they use and tend to have very good quality and value in every price range.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the phenomenally helpful site with such great information. I felt helpless when I started mattress shopping and realized there were so many brands, materials, features, etc. - I thought Iā€™d never be able to even know where to start. Iā€™m still learning, but reading through your site has been exceptionally informative, put me more at ease, and has given me much better direction. Thank you.

My fiancee and I liked the softest version of the iComforts - the Revolution - and might have bought one today if we hadnā€™t balked at the price. Iā€™m glad I found your site before we caved. Can you suggest any retailers or manufacturers near New Orleans?

And what can we learn from our preference for that model in looking for something comparable? We particularly liked that it was softer than the other iComforts and many of the Tempurpedics, and we liked that it doesnā€™t transfer motion. We would also like to try a latex mattress after what weā€™ve learned from your site.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi Zuccheto,

Unfortunately ā€¦ there is a real lack of independent manufacturers in or near New Orleans.

There is a local manufacturer in Layayette however and several more in Baton Rouge that are included in Post #10 here.

The fact that you liked the iComfort revolution indicates that you like soft mattresses :slight_smile: ā€¦ and that perhaps you are a side sleeper. It could also mean that you may be sensitive to pressure issues in a mattress ā€¦ either in your hips or shoulders. Its probably a good thing that you didnā€™t end up buying this as 5 3/4" of soft foam on top of a mattress is usually a recipe for body impressions and possible back issues.

Some of the better possibilities in the New Orleans area are in post #4 here.

In general ā€¦ a latex comfort layer with the right thickness and softness for a specific person can be as pressure relieving as memory foam however it is cooler, much more durable, and also more supportive. Both latex and memory foam are also similar in their ability to reduce motion between partners with perhaps a slight edge here going to memory foam.

Phoenix

Thank you again for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge, Phoenix!

We tried three Stearns & Foster ā€œlaytexā€ (they all had some HD foam, included, too) models at Ashley Furniture. My fiance found them too buoyant, which is her frequent complaint about laytex - she says she feels like sheā€™s floating on a raft or air mattress.

Based on what Iā€™ve learned through your writing, I figured we needed to find something with a softer comfort layer that she would sink into more. Thankfully, the Bedding Plus store you suggested had a Jamison model with a two-inch talalay (19 ILD) top over a 7ā€™ā€™ foam core (this was one of these ā€œMarriottā€ models they advertise). She thought that felt much better than the others weā€™ve tried.

1. Am I correct to suspect that the core foam in that model is likely to be a weak link in the long term and that Jamison suffers from some of the same quality-reducing/price-increasing practices that plague the major manufacturers?

Iā€™m 5ā€™7, 170 lbs. and sleep mostly on my stomach. Iā€™m coming from an inexpensive, very firm coil mattress with nothing soft on top, so the plusher mattresses naturally feel very nice to me at first by comparison when I spend 5 minutes on them in the store. Through your other posts, though, I understand that too much softness will lead to back issues if my shoulders and hips sink too much. So Iā€™m trying to find a balance between something a little softer and more inviting when I first hit the bed but that wonā€™t give too much overnight while Iā€™m asleep.

My fiance is 5ā€™6, 130 lbs and is mostly a side-sleeper. Sheā€™s also coming from a pillow-top, so as I mentioned - sheā€™s looking for something fairly soft on top - and I understand sheā€™ll need something a little softer overall for her style of sleeping. She tends to like the memory foam a little more because she likes that it sinks in (without that buoyant feeling), and she really likes memory foam pillows over the laytex ones weā€™ve tried. But I think we both dislike how dead memory foam feels - like moving through quicksand.

The Jamison model - at least for the 10 minutes we tried it - seemed to have a decent balance of all these factors for us. So Iā€™m thinking weā€™re looking for something with a similar 2" talalay laytex comfort layer with an ILD around 19 and then something firmer underneath. Am I generally on the right path in recognizing what weā€™ll need to find to meet the needs of our statistics and preferences? (Oh - and how much does the softness vary with each ILD increment - would we likely feel a difference between a 19 and, say, a 22 ILD comfort layer?)

Finally, price is a concern. We realize we can get more for our money in a full laytex model, but I have to admit the Jamison was compelling in that we could get out of there with a king mattress and box spring for $1800 (which is still probably $500 more than we were hoping to spend when we started all of this!).

Weā€™d love to hear any additional thoughts you might have, and thank you again for all of your help!

Phoenix,

Over the past weekend, my fianceā€™ and I decided to venture out to some of the larger stores to see what was available for our first bedroom suite and mattress. Our intention was just to browse and price things. With that being the case, I didnā€™t do any research beforehand.

We found a bedroom set we really liked and proceded over to price and try out some of the options for king size mattresses. We did the normal routine and laid on a lot of different beds. We really liked how the Serta iComfort Revolution felt. What we didnā€™t like was the price point ($2,500 before tax); however, there was a sale for Labor Day and we could get the king set, box, delivery, setup, mat pad, and 1 yr exchange of equal/greater value if we decide we do not enjoy mattress. The total during the sale was $2,500 and the store also gave us a $200 gift card towards a future purchase. Being soon-to-be newlyweds, we have plenty of other pieces we need to buy.

We wanted to lock in the sales price, so we put 10% down and we can get that back at any time over the next 60 days if we decide to go another route. After we left the store, we went to a few other places to compare what we had just ā€œboughtā€. We tried the Embody Introspection (much to firm, $2,250 Out-the-door), Embody Prophecy (felt nice, but not as comfortable as the iComfort Revolution, $2,650 OTD), Enso Solidarity ($1,520 OTD, felt like it would sleep pretty hot), and the Enso Grandeur ($1,280 OTD, sceptical at first, but it was comfortable).

I came back home and started doing research on the different options and that is when I stumbled upon your site. I spent the majority of the night reading the different topics and posts on this site. I have found them very helpful and hope that I could provide you with some details and you could steer us in the right (potentially cheaper) direction.

Myself:
6ā€™2"
168 LBS
Side sleeper w/a lower back issue for the last 2.5 yrs. It has been improving over the years through tireless work. I toss and turn most of the night.

Fianceā€™:
5ā€™0"
100 lbs
Stomach and side sleeper.

We live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and I would love to check out some of the local manufacturers if you know of any. Also, I have looked up the Aerus beds that Walmart/Sams sell. I like the idea of them, but where can you get a decent box to go along with them?

Thank you for your insight and help!

-Brian

Hi Zuchetto,

The stearns and foster mattresses you tried would not qualify to be called a ā€œlatexā€ mattress. What she was feeling was polyfoam rather than latex. If they showed you a layer by layer cutaway of the mattress ā€¦ you would be rather surprised (shocked) at how little latex there was in them and how much polyfoam there was on top of the mattress. This is one of the ā€œSā€ brands (owned by Sealy) which I would always avoid. They have the ā€œauraā€ of being good (and they do have good innersprings) but when they are looked at in terms of their layer by layer construction ā€¦ they are incredibly poor value and in most cases only have about .75" of ā€œsmartā€ latex in them.

The Jamison would likely be a latex comfort layer mattress (if it is one of the models listed on the Jamison website) and uses much higher quality materials ā€¦ although this too costs much more than a similar mattress using the same materials purchased from an independent manufacturer. At least this tells you what a 2" talalay latex comfort layer using 19 ILD talalay latex feels like on top of a firmer support core.

Polyfoam in at least HD quality and at least 1.8 density (preferably over 2.0) does not suffer from the same impression problems as the lower quality softer/cheaper polyfoam used in far too many comfort layers. The comfort layer materials are the most important part of a mattress in terms of the overall durability of a mattress as they are the most prone to breakdown. While it is certainly true that a latex support layer will perform better (has better support qualities) than any polyfoam ā€¦ replacing a latex support layer with a high quality polyfoam core or an innerspring is a much better place to save money than using polyfoam in a comfort layer. The Jamison uses latex in the comfort layers rather than polyfoam so it would be far less prone to body impressions and foam breakdown. I would still insist on a spec sheet or a cutaway of any mattress I was purchasing to make sure that the model you were considering was using a known construction (matched one of the models on the Jamison website).

There are mattress manufacturers (including some that are members of this website) who will make a split side by side mattress for couples who have different needs. A stomach sleeper needs the thinnest possible comfort layer as they risk sleeping in a swayback position if the hips/pelvis sinks in too much. Even 2" in 19 ILD may be a little thick as a stomach sleeper has a very flat sleeping profile and there are no ā€œpointyā€ hips or shoulders that need to sink in.

A side sleeper on the other hand is a much more curvy sleeping position with larger ā€œgapsā€ in the sleeping profile which need to be ā€œfilled inā€ by the mattress comfort layer. Normally 3" is the starting point her however a lighter person such as your fiance may need less. The fact that she was comfortable with the 2" talalay latex comfort layer on the Jamison tells me that her ideal comfort layer would be somewhere between 2 and 3 inches. When you are testing mattresses that are comfortable for her ā€¦ it would be really important for someone to look at your spinal alignment while you are on your stomach to make sure your hips/pelvis is not sinking in too far into the mattress. If it is ā€¦ then a mattress that feels great to you at the beginning of the night may lead to backache in the morning. If none of the mattresses that work for her in terms of pressure relief are keeping you in alignment ā€¦ then it is time to look at a side to side split where the comfort layer on your side of the mattress would be the same thickness but much firmer than hers.

I also donā€™t like the ā€œdeadā€ feel of memory foam and much prefer the livelier feel of latex. Latex is also much easier to ā€œmove around onā€ than memory foam. They are both very good at isolating motion so one partner doesnā€™t feel the movement of the other.

In terms of ILD increments ā€¦ most people will feel a noticeable difference between an increment of about 4 ā€¦ although over the course of the night or for someone who was more sensitive than most a smaller increment can make a slight difference in terms of long term pressure relief. Latex also does not have exactly the same ILD over the entire surface of the mattress so there is some variance here as well (the variances are not noticeable but the are there). Latex is ā€œratedā€ in average ILD over different points that are tested on the mattress.

I certainly understand that price is a concern as it is a major part of the value of a mattress. For a partly latex mattress in King size with a 2" talalay latex comfort layer, $1800 seems a little steep. This is more than several ā€œall latexā€ mattresses (latex comfort layer and core) with 2" in the comfort layer which is sold by several of the manufacturing members on this site. Once you know that 2" of 19 ILD latex over a firmer core works for you ā€¦ then it is simple to compare the construction and price of similar mattresses that can be purchased online.

My major concern in your case would be making sure that a mattress that is comfortable for your fiance is also supportive enough for your stomach sleeping and I would particularly test for this (having someone squat down and specifically look to see if your hips seemed to be sinking in more than they should) on the Jamison and similar mattresses. Your stomach sleeping position should keep your spine in the same alignment as it is when you are standing up straight with good posture (this is the ā€œreferenceā€ point).

Hope this helps and feel free to keep the questions coming

Phoenix

Hi Brian,

The first thing I would do is immediately get your 10% deposit back :). The sale price you were ā€œlocking inā€ was more than this mattress costs year round at many online outlets. Even at substantially less ā€¦ it would be poor value compared to much lower cost mattresses that use better materials. Most of the ā€œgreat salesā€ are only gimmicks to hide the fact that nobody ever pays regular prices at these stores. There is no ā€œbetter time of yearā€ to buy a mattress ā€¦ or at least a high quality mattress. Comfort exchanges are also a profit center for the store as you would likely be getting credit for a sale price but exchanging for one at a higher ā€œnon saleā€ price. This too is a really misleading gimmick that is commonly used by larger outlets to ā€œclose a saleā€. Warranties are a third major ā€œclosing techniqueā€ that are also completely misleading and cater to the incorrect belief that ā€œthe longer the warranty the better the mattressā€.

The Sealy embody (like all the major manufacturer models) is also poor value when compared to much better mattresses that cost less. In general it is wise to completely avoid major manufacturers and large ā€œchain storeā€ or ā€œmass marketingā€ types of outlets. Their only ā€œuseā€ IMO is as a mattress testing ground to help you discover the type of material and layering that may work for you and even here I would only use the ones that were open about the layering and materials inside their mattresses.

You are both rather light so I would be looking at a comfort layer of about 2-3" (a little lower than ā€œnormalā€). I would also use the thinnest comfort layer possible to help accommodate your fianceā€™s stomach sleeping (which needs the absolute thinnest possible comfort layer that gives her pressure relief when she is on her side).

Any good foundation that has solid support and wooden slats 1.5" or less apart is suitable for a foam mattress. A box spring is only suitable for a mattress with an innerspring core (with only a few exceptions) and is usually part of the sleep system design of an innerspring mattress. Slatted foundations are widely available from most mattress stores or online including places like Ikea.

A couple of manufacturers near you include ā€¦

https://www.manta.com/c/mm72vhz/m-m-mattress-mfg Local manufacturer. Does not have an online presence but makes mostly polyfoam and memory foam mattresses however can order latex for those who are willing to wait.

Furniture RowĀ® Store Locations - Store Hours & Addresses Regional manufacturer. Makes 2 latex models and has a wide range of other mattresses under their house brand.

If you are willing to take the longer drive to Oklahoma City ā€¦ one of the members here is https://www.okmattress.com/ . He makes a range of high quality and value mattresses of all types and while the drive may be a little long ā€¦ it will likely save you quite a bit of time overall as he has good selection, is very knowledgeable, can make any type of mattress for you, will give you great advice, and has great value.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

PS: While I realize that memory foam feels good for many ā€¦ it is not so good for back issues as it can warm up and you may sink in deeper over the course of the night putting you out of your best spinal alignment and possibly contributing to back issues. If you must use memory foam ā€¦ use the highest quality you can and the thinnest layer possible over a very good quality support layer. Latex in the comfort layers (in the best softness for your needs) ā€¦ will provide the same pressure relief with far less ā€œlack of supportā€ issues and is not heat sensitive, sleeps cooler, is more durable, and keeps its desirable qualities longer than any memory foam.