The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your very helpful advice.

This is the Jamison we saw. It says the core is high resiliency foam, but it doesnā€™t give the specific statistics.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: jamisonbedding.com/tlc-collection/tranquility-euro-pillow-top

Also, am I correct that there is a 2" layer of quilting on top of the 2" laytex layer when they describe the comfort layer as including: ā€œQuilted to 2ā€ Hypersoft Silk Blend & Safe SlumberĀ® fire retardant protection system; 2" 19 ILD & 2" 19 ILD Soft Talalay Latex"?

Weā€™re strongly considering one of the manufacturers on your site that provides individual laytex layers that can be swapped out for firmer/softer layers if we donā€™t guess correctly when we order. Do you know if there are any issues with these layers staying in place - it concerns us to have ā€œmoving partsā€ to a mattress. Are the glued-together laytex models a better way to go?

Thank you again for your generosity of time and knowledge.

Phoenix,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I went to both places you mentioned and came away impressed with the Latex products Furniture Row had to offer. As you mentioned, they had two different models (listed below).

Aspen Latex Plush - $1,275 - Felt really good, softer than the next.
Support System:
*4" 1.8lb high density foam
*4" Talalay Latex
*1" Supersoft Foam
*2" Talalay Latex
*FR Fiber Wrap

Snowmass Plush - $1,445 - More firm, yet very comfortable.
Support System:
*6" Talalay Latex Core
Comfort Layer:
*2" Talalay Latex Foam
Quilt Layer:
*Stretch Knit Ticking
*1" 1.8 LB High Density Foam
*Natural Rayon Fire Barrier

With the specs listed, do you have an opinion on if either of them is a greater value? My fianceā€™ is going up there tomorrow to try them both out and I have a feeling she will like the softer one, even with being a partial stomach sleeper.

Hi Zucchetto,

Yes ā€¦ this quilting layer is a fiber blend (it would be similar to a wool quilting) which can add to the ā€œhand feelā€ or perceived softness of the mattress. Itā€™s advantage would be how it feels and added breathability. The disadvantage is it would slightly decrease the ā€œpoint elasticityā€ of the latex (part of how latex relieves pressure by distributing body weight) and may compress slightly over time which can further reduce elasticity. It could also slightly reduce the ā€œeffective thicknessā€ of the 4" of talalay latex in the comfort layers making it perform more like a slightly thinner layer while still ā€œfeelingā€ very soft. All in all ā€¦ this is more a matter of preference choices and fine tuning more than a matter of better or worse.

High resiliency foam is the highest quality polyfoam and is suitable for use in a mattress core. While HR foam is often used incorrectly in a mattress description to describe a foam which is not technically HR (2.5 lbs or higher density and a support factor or compression modulus of 2.4 or higher) ā€¦ even here it is mostly used to indicate higher quality polyfoam (such as a density over 2.0 with a higher than average support factor)

There is no issue with latex layers staying in place ā€¦ even without gluing ā€¦ as latex is very ā€œstickyā€ and layers donā€™t easily move over each other. This in combination with a tight fitting zippered ticking means that glue is not needed. If the layers do shift (such as by moving the mattress from one place to another without removing the layers first) ā€¦ it is fairly easy to re-adjust them by unzipping the cover and shifting them using a gentle wave motion (rather than dragging one layer over another which could stretch the layer and possibly tear it).

My personal preference is ā€œthe less glue the betterā€ ā€¦ especially with latex ā€¦ since some glues contain chemicals that can offgas ā€¦ although water based latex adhesives are not nearly as big an issue in this regard and most of these have little if any VOCā€™s.

Phoenix

Hi Brian,

The ā€œvalueā€ between the two mattresses would be very similar in terms of materials (as is often the case between different models made by the same manufacturer) however I would personally tend towards the Snowmass if it gives good pressure relief for both of you. The reason for this is that a latex core has better supportive qualities than polyfoam and also that the slightly firmer model would likely be more appropriate for your wifeā€™s stomach sleeping.

When she goes to test the mattress ā€¦ I would go with her to help check her spinal alignment on her stomach. If it seems OK on both models (both by looking and by her sensing any stress in her lumbar when she is completely relaxed on her stomach) ā€¦ then it would be more a matter of preference rather than value.

Phoenix

Thanks for all of your help, Phoenix. Based on your advice and our field testing and budget, Iā€™ve narrowed our choices and would love any thoughts you might have. (Iā€™m a 5"7, 170 lb. stomach sleeper and my fianceā€™ is a 5ā€™6, 130lb. side sleeper.)

Sleep Ez - the 7000 model with a soft top layer and a split second layer (medium on one side for her, firm on the other for me).

or

Mattresses.net - the adjustable plush model with a soft top layer and medium second layer. (Iā€™ve emailed to ask if they can split the firmness on the second layer like Sleep Ez.) I realize medium might be too soft for me, but I figure I can make adjustments to firm things up easier than my fianceā€™ could to soften things.

The Sleep Ez gives an extra 30-days for returns; the Mattresses.net has a lower price - so there are a couple of intangibles.

Also, should I have any concern that weā€™ll ā€œbottom-outā€ on 7 inches of soft over medium?

Thanks again for your help!

Hi Zucchetto,

5.6" of latex may be a little on the thin side for most people unless they were very light, or very tall and slim. I would hesitate to go this thin with a side sleeper or ā€œaverageā€ weight as even if you didnā€™t bottom out ā€¦ it would certainly feel firmer (the foam would be more compressed).

Mattresses.net does do a side to side split in the core layer and this construction may work a little better for you as 2" of soft foam on top would be better for a stomach sleeper than 3". If you had firm under your side and your fiance had medium (softer to ā€œhelpā€ the top layer for her side sleeping) under her side ā€¦ this construction would likely be a better compromise for both of you.

While both of these manufacturers have great value ā€¦ and it would generally be intangibles which determined a choice ā€¦ in this case the 2" soft over a split support core would likely work better.

Phoenix

I seeā€¦ maybe Iā€™m comparing the wrong Sleep EZ mattress. Would the Sleep EZ 8" ā€œSpecial,ā€ then, be a better way to go (than the 7000) to get to a better depth with the two 3-inch dunlop layers topped by a 2-inch talalay layer? I understand dunlop is denser, but ILD will matter more than density, correct? It seems like having three layers might give us a little more flexibility to adjust firmness as necessary, too.

Thank you again, Phoenix. Iā€™m soooo close to getting this figured out, and Iā€™m most grateful for your helpful advice.

Zucchetto (and Phoenix),
My situation seems almost identical to yours. Iā€™m a stomacher and my wife is a sider.
One thing that turned me off from the mattresses.net adjustable was that we would also have to take into consideration the 1.5" of Joma wool quilting. So on top of the 2" ā€œsuper soft - 22ILD talalay latex toppeā€, there would also be another 1.5" layer. And that, Iā€™m thinking, would be too much for a stomach sleeper.
If Sleepez could do a core split (even on just one of the 3" layers) on their 8" special, I think that would be the winner, but not sure if they do.
Maybe a good setup would be all soft on top, and then a firm/medium middle layer, and a firm/firm bottom.
So only one layer would need a split. I think that would work pretty good.

And had several good laughs at a major furniture/mattress store yesterday. Prices were absolutely ridiculous for their ā€œlatexā€ mattresses. The sales rep wasnā€™t too bad, she only had misinformation on a couple of occasions.

Your thoughts?
NobleRise

Hi NobleRise,

The 1.5" of wool is quilted down to about .75" in the mattress cover. Many people like to sleep on a wool cover as it is very breathable. While it feels soft ā€¦ it actually reduces the point elasticity of the latex somewhat and you would not sink into the latex quite as much which in the case of a stomach sleeper could actually be an advantage. Having .75" of wool fiber in the quilting is not the same as having foam in the quilting or in the comfort layers.

They also have a thinner non quilted terry cover which can be used (similar to the tempurpedic style) which reduces the price of the mattress by $50 however the wool quilting would likely be better for stomach sleeping and may be the best compromise.

I believe that Sleepez also will do a core split on their special.

I am always amazed at what I am told by people who really donā€™t know what is in the mattresses they sell. It can create some strange looks (and reactions) sometimes when someone has done their homework and asks what they consider to be ā€œunusualā€ questions or actually knows more than the sales person selling the mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I was scheduled to meet my finaceā€™ at Denver Mattress so she could tryout both mattresses we spoke about before. I was running a little late and she had made up her mind by the time I arrived. To my suprise, she liked the more firm Snowmass model.

We were able to purchase the floor model, a mattress pad, two king pillows, and nice king sheets for $1,960 (tax and delivery included).

The delivery is set for Thursday. Iā€™ll come back after a few nights and give a review of our experience thus far. Thanks again for your quick responses and knowledgeable feedback!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Good story :slight_smile: I think ā€œsheā€ made the best choice for your circumstances and sleeping positions.

Looking forward to your feedback ā€¦ and thanks for the questions and comments.

Phoenix

Lots of good information on this site, Iā€™m glad I happened upon it!

Looking at getting a new mattress. Iā€™m fine with our current coil pillowtop one, but it is getting close to 10 years old so I guess itā€™s about time. My husbandā€™s coworkers have real or knockoff temperpedics, so heā€™s especially interested in them. Went to one store and tried the temperpedics, he liked the cloud luxe the best. Also saw the Serta icomfort. He liked the Prodigy model in that line, and liked the spiel about them sleeping cooler. Iā€™ve also researched online and read reviews of the Night Therapy model at Samā€™s Clubā€¦not so sure about buying something without being able to lay on it first. Iā€™m pretty sure it will be too firm, just from the reviews Iā€™ve read. That may be easily remedied with an additional topper, but I donā€™t know.

Are there other stores/brands we should be looking at? Weā€™re in Northwest Arkansas (Bentonville area.) Thanks in advance!

Alleson

Hi Alleson,

You are in a kind of ā€œisolatedā€ location and the only independent mattress manufacturer I know of near you is ā€¦

Harness Mattress who is a local independent factory direct manufacturer in Harrison

There is also an outlet that carryā€™s Savvy Rest mattresses here ā€¦

Mountain Organic Bed
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link |Archived Footprint1: harnessmattress.com/contact.html| Archived Footprint2: mountainairorganicbeds.com/Contact_us.html

These are a ā€œchoose your own layersā€ latex mattress that can be customized for each individual person. While they are too expensive IMO ā€¦ they would give you a very good idea of a suitable layering in latex that could work well for you. You could then duplicate this mattress through an online manufacturer (such as several on this site) at a substantial savings.

In terms of memory foam ā€¦ the night therapy is a Zinus brand so it is Certi-Pur certified but there is no information about the density (quality) of the memory foam. It is likely 4 lb or less (medium quality) as this would be typical for a Zinus brand and this price range. I would personally not consider any memory foam where the density of the memory foam was not known as this is a key part of its quality and feel. If you are looking to purchase memory foam online from an outlet such as Sams club (so you can always return it at no cost) then I would look at the Aerus 4 lb memory foam mattresses. Aerus is made by Foamex and is the most breathable of the good quality memory foams IMO. I would avoid all memory foams that are under 4 lbs.

The feel of memory foam mattresses can be very different depending on the thickness and density of the memory foam, the manufacturer of the foam, and the type of polyfoam layers underneath it which is the ā€œsupportiveā€ part of the mattress (memory foam is a non supportive foam and needs a supportive foam underneath it). What is suitable for one may be completely unsuitable for another depending on weight, body shape, sleeping positions, and preferences.

All memory foam would be considered ā€œsoftā€ although many are much firmer when they are cold and there are wide differences in how each type reacts to heat, humidity, and pressure. Buying memory foam online without a fairly clear idea of the type of memory foam and polyfoam layering that would be suitable for your own unique needs can be very risky ā€¦ especially without a good return policy.

As you probably know from this thread ā€¦ the Serta iComfort IMO is poor value as are almost all of the mattresses from the major manufacturers (the ā€œSā€ brands) including Tempurpedic. While there are many memory foam mattresses that are better value and similar or even better quality to Tempurpedic ā€¦ it is important to know how to make meaningful comparisons.

The best way to purchase a mattress is to focus on what is in them rather than on brand. If you know the difference between memory foam, latex, and polyfoam (the one to avoid) in the comfort layers and you know the difference between polyfoam, innersprings, and latex in the support layers, and you have a good idea of how thick and soft your comfort layer should be (depends on your weight and body shape and your sleeping positions) then you will be in much better shape to know the type of mattress that would work for you.

The prodigy has an inch of latex (slow recovery latex) on top so is slightly firmer than the revolution because the latex would reduce the tendency of the memory foam to soften with body heat. Overall though ā€¦ this comfort layer would be far too thick for almost everyone and would be risking misalignment in the spine.

The cloud luxe is also very soft but at least has only 4.75" of memory foam on top (which is still too much for almost anyone). The cloud series would also be much more suitable for people who were a lighter weight.

Once you have a good idea of the two basic functions of a mattress and the different materials and layers used in the comfort layers and the support layers and how your sleeping positions can make a big difference in how thick your comfort layer should be, you will be in a much better position to test mattresses and make decisions that donā€™t depend on the ā€œstoriesā€ that so many sales representatives will try to tell you. Most of these are designed to get you to purchase ā€œtheirā€ favorite mattress rather than the best one for you.

A topper can certainly help a mattress that is too firm ā€¦ but if you already have 3-4" of memory foam (or other soft foam) on top of a mattress (all memory foam is soft as it becomes warmer) ā€¦ then a topper would be unlikely to do anything but put your back out of alignment over the course of the night as it would make your comfort layers much too thick. Toppers are much better at ā€œfixingā€ a mattress that is too firm and has thinner comfort layers. It is very difficult to ā€œfixā€ a mattress where the comfort layers are already too thick or soft.

Hope this helps and feel free to keep the questions coming :slight_smile:

Phoenix

You are a wealth of information! :cheer: After reading all the info, I wonder if we were going about things the wrong wayā€¦I was just letting my husband try beds out and decide which he thought was the most comfortable. I guess I need to remember that thinking a bed is comfortable after laying on it 10 minutes or so in the store might not be the way we feel night after night. DH is a back and side sleeper, 5ā€™7" and 180 lbs. Iā€™m a back or stomach sleeper, 5ā€™2" and 135 lbs. Honestly, I feel like I can sleep on anything, so I was just going to go along with whatever DH wanted. Maybe we need one of those display models that are firm on one side and plush on the other though! :lol:

We did go to another store today where we tried other mattresses. DH ended up back at the icomforts. The Revolution this time. (They didnā€™t have the Prodigy) Perhaps Iā€™ll tell him I want to research a little more and wait for more reviews to come out on the icomfort, since itā€™s relatively new. If mattresses are like anything else, Iā€™m sure there will be more ā€˜new advancesā€™ and a whole crop of new creations to choose from.

What are your thoughts on the adjustable bases?

Hi Alleson,

Your sleeping positions are different and ā€œpoint toā€ different thicknesses of comfort layers. In general ā€¦ a good starting point for the comfort layer for a side sleeper is about 3", back sleeping is 2" and stomach sleeping is about 1". Since with memory foam you will tend to sleep in the mattress more than other foams ā€¦ slightly thicker can sometimes work OK even though I believe that the thinnest possible comfort layer that offers good pressure relief is usually better for spinal alignment and long term comfort. Most memory foam will also soften significantly in the first few weeks of use which makes a comfort layer that is too thick an even bigger problem over time.

The iComfort is one of an endless string of so called ā€œrevolutionary ideasā€ that are endlessly appearing in the mattress industry. Most of them have little value and are more about different manufacturers trying to differentiate themselves with a story based on perception than they are about any real benefit. Gel memory foam for example has been around for a number of years and all that Serta (through sleep innovations) did was build a story around it that made it seem like something very new and different when in fact it was not very different from what was already being sold for quite a few years. Many manufacturers are following suit in the ā€œperception gameā€ even though the benefits are dubious at best. There are no facts provided to back up the claims that are being made and the feedback I have seen is clearly saying that it is just another memory foam with the same ā€œissuesā€ as other memory foam mattresses. The next batch of ā€œnew ideasā€ will likely be just as meaningless in real life as most of the rest.

Even one sided mattresses which did more to reduce mattress values than most other ā€œrevoolutionaryā€ changes were marketed as being a benefit ā€¦ and the convenience story was so widely believed that the other manufacturers were forced to follow suit as they couldnā€™t compete with the cheaper one sided mattresses ā€¦ even though the mattress lifespan was reduced by almost half. Pillowtops and unbelievably thick mattresses using thick layers of cheap soft foam and that cater to the ā€œaaahhhā€ feeling in the store (which is how they are sold) are marketed as a ā€œbenefitā€ when in fact they are a major liability and represent a huge reduction in the lifespan, long term comfort, and value of many mattresses. Its a great way to sell lots of inexpensive polyfoam at a great profit though.

These types of marketing stories are used to justify prices that are way out of line. There isnā€™t a single major manufacturer that has a mattress that I consider to be good value ā€¦ not a single one ā€¦ but people keep buying them because they donā€™t know what to believe or how to compare mattresses (the larger manufacturers make this very difficult) and the stories sound good. Most consumers and people who sell mattresses in the mass market outlets also donā€™t know how to test whether a mattress is truly suitable for their needs and they also have little idea about the difference in durability and performance of different materials and different types of construction. ā€œCoil countingā€ as an example is one of the most meaningless excercises in mattress shopping and has little to do with the quality of an innerspring but most consumers will buy a mattress with innersprings that are designed with less functional steel and more coils just to create a marketing story because they know that consumers believe that coil counting is somehow connected to the quality of a mattress.

Most ā€œmainstreamā€ mattresses are designed to be attractive in the few minutes that people lay on them in the store and are sold on how ā€œcomfortableā€ they are but are not sold with the genuine pressure relief and alignment needs of the individual customer in mind. Specialty and sleep shops and manufacturer direct outlets that provide real and meaningful information about what is in their mattress are the exception both in terms of information and value but the mainstream mass market outlets and major manufacturers dominate sales through their marketing campaigns which consumers pay for in overpriced, low quality, and often unsuitable mattresses that they are happy with for a while because they seem better than what they are replacing.

Your DH likely likes mattresses with a thicker softer comfort layer because side sleepers need more pressure relief for their bony protrusions (hips and shoulders). Back and stomach sleepers are less prone to pressure issues and generally do better with either firmer or thinner comfort layers to help them with alignment. Stomach sleeping especially can be a challenge because of the tendency to sleep in a swayback position with a comfort layer that is too thick or too soft. Comfort layers that are too thick will still feel comfortable for an hour or two ā€¦ but the price for this sense of comfort can be when back aches and pains start to develop from sleeping out of alignment ā€œdown the roadā€. The manufacturers cater to this which is why you see so many pillowtops and thick form layers with cheap foam (polyfoam and lower density memory foam) in it that will break down far too quickly. Warranties do not cover this foam breakdown as even when the foam has degraded internally and no longer ā€œworksā€ the way it did in the showroom ā€¦ it still usually has just enough resilience left to come back just enough to be within the warranty exclusion.

The idea of ā€œside to sideā€ splits for partners with different weights and body shapes or sleeping positions is becoming more popular and is offered by an increasing number of manufacturers including some of those that are members here (who have offered this for years). This does not ā€œor should notā€ increase the cost of a mattress and certainly doesnā€™t justify the outrageous prices of mattresses like the YuMe which is nothing more than basically a polyfoam mattress which should be selling for significantly less than half the listed price. Mattresses which use much higher quality materials and which are available with customized sides and layering are widely available ā€¦ including from many members of this site ā€¦ for less than half the cost and will last twice as long ā€¦ or more.

There are several types of adjustable bases. The tension adjustable slatted bases that can be tension adjusted to be firmer under the hips or softer under the shoulders can be very valuable in fine tuning a mattress for spinal alignment as long as the mattress is not too thick. The more common position ajustable bases are also great (I have one) but for most people are more of a convenience than a necessity. We like watching a movie in bed or reading and they are really good for this. The massage is kind of nice although a real massage is much nicer :). They can also be helpful for certain conditions that require the legs to be elevated or acid reflux which can be helped with a slight elevation of the head but most people are much better sleeping in a flat position with the possible exception of back sleepers who can sometimes relieve some pressure on the lumbar (usually caused by incorrect mattress construction) with the feet slightly elevated. IMO for most people they are a nice luxury.

I own the Reverie Deluxe (the same manufacturer as the Tempurpedic bases) which I believe has better value than either the Ergo or the Leggatt & Platt which are the other two more commonly seen brands. I purchased mine for under $1000 in a queen from here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: adjustablebeds.org/reverie_deluxe_adjustable_bed_with_wireless_control_and_massage-9981.aspx

Phoenix

Phoenix -
Thanks for all the helpfull info.
My wife and I started out looking at the Tempur-pedic mattresses. I really liked them but sleep really hot. My wife and I couldnā€™t agree on one. We then moved on to the iComfort Revolution and thought it was the most comfortable so far. Since you recommended going with a local manufacturer I contacted Mattress Mart (which I believe is a local manufacturer) to see if they were coming out with a product similar to the iComfort. They said that Englander is coming out with a gel memory foam mattress next week. Do you know anything about it? If not, would you recommend something other than latex? I feel as though it is too bouncy. I believe the latex mattress they sell are also made by Englander. We live in Columbus, OH.

Thanks,

Greentree3d

Hi Greentree,

The Englander latex is Dunlop and feels quite a bit different than Talalay ā€¦ especially on top. I would probably take a visit to Find an Original Mattress Factory Store who are a regional factory direct manufacturer who makes two models of talalay latex that would be worth testing. They also make a range of other mattresses that have better quality and value than the major brands. Besides the types of latex ā€¦ the ILD of the comfort layers and what is over and under latex can significantly change its feel.

The problem with both Englander and Restonic who both make latex mattresses (although Restonic also uses Talalay) is that they are made to different specs around the country as each licensee makes their own design. They also make a lot of house brands. Without a spec sheet, you never know if what you are feeling is several inches of polyfoam on top of the latex or if you are actually lying on latex.

There are many manufacturers who use some type of ā€œgelā€ memory foam and it certainly wouldnā€™t surprise me if they did too even though they already have a memory foam mattress since Serta has created a buzz with theirs (mostly marketing) so others tend to follow suit whether the actual material has real value or not. I donā€™t know anything specific about an Englander version though but so far I donā€™t see any really significant difference between some of the high quality memory foam that is already available and the ā€œgelā€ memory foams.

The iComfort can certainly feel comfortable initially as it is softer when you first get on it than say a Tempurpedic but I question the thickness of the memory foam layers they are using. They feel most similar to the Tempur Cloud series to me but I really question the value of that much memory foam in a mattress (especially with the thicker Revolution and Prodigy models) and I think they are being sold more on ā€œfeelā€ rather than pressure relief in combination with correct alignment. I think that mattresses with this much memory foam are more about marketing than benefits.

I do know that there is a material which is coming very soon which is an actual gel rather than a gel memory foam which some people are very excited about. Its a ā€œmattressā€ version of the Dr Scholls insole and itā€™s already in pillows and has even appeared in small quantities in a few mattresses over the last few years but I believe it will create some excitement. https://www.technogelsleeping.com/ . I believe it will be very expensive but in theory it should be very effective and ā€œeliminateā€ many of the weaknesses of memory foam. Weā€™ll see. Iā€™m waiting for it to appear hopefully very soon (none of the dealers on the site seem to have it yet).

In realistic terms ā€¦ comfort layers are primarily a choice between latex and memory foam as the other materials (natural fibers, microcoils, buckling column gel) are not as widely available or as popular ā€¦ with the exception of course of the most popular comfort layer material of all which is polyfoam and which I would completely avoid in any amounts over 1".

There is a dealer in yellow springs who sells mattresses with a microcoil and latex comfort layer that is about 55 miles away or so in case you want to test them out. They also have Talalay latex over pocket coils and other Berkely Ergonomics mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi First of all I really want to thank you for the incredible info you have provided. My wife and I were shopping here and she and I both liked the Icomfort Revolution-going price was $2229ā€¦we thought it was a relatively good deal compared to the Tempurpedic models in the $5k range. However after reading your posts I am glad we didnt buy. Can you suggest a local manufacturer in or near Los Angeles? Also do you have any suggestions on an alternative to the Icomfort Revolution? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi ma7514-

Iā€™d like to second Phoenix on the Berkeley Ergonomics- great beds- all natural latex. Berkeley Ergonomics sells their beds really only to a relatively small number of independent stores around the US to my knowledge. All are independent of each other, but carry the same line from Berkeley. In Dallas, there is a store called Sovn that carries only Berkeley Ergonomics latex & coil + latex beds. Seems like very high quality. Also pricey though.

If nothing else- itā€™s a great place to check out for feel. They have several different beds on the floor usually with varying levels of firmness. Their all latex bed is a 6" dunlop core + 2" talalay top & you can configure the firmness for each side & they have different levels of firmness for you to lay on based configurations.

They also have some coil mattresses with 2" of talalay on top. Also nice. Just a different feel, so depends on what you like. But, if you could find a store in/near LA that carries Berkeley Ergonomics itā€™s a great place to do some research!!! Usually they are boutique stores that only carry Berkeley. I know there are a few in Northern Cal, not sure about LA.

Best of luck!

Hi Phoenix,
I am in need of a new bed and found your site. I must say this is amazing and very informative. Iā€™m glad I found it. I have a few questions for you. I am on a budget and the bed will be place on a platform frame. So I would like to know which is the better buy? I was leaning toward the Novaform due to being from Costco or the Aerus from Sams Club just because of the warranty.

I was looking at the Novaform Bed Cal King Gel Memory foam from Costco for $599 after coupon. I contacted Sleep Innovations and they informed me that the density shouldnt be used in this case because the infused gel makes the bed feel firmerā€¦she indicated to me that it will feel like 4-4.5lbs of density. But when I asked her how much actual density she indicated 3.25lbs (not sure how knowledge she was but she did know immediately when I pressure her for an answer)

Here is costco one and I am sure you know about it:
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11621592&search=novaform+cal+king&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en--Top_Left_Nav--Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=novaform+cal+king&Ntt=novaform+cal+king&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Then after reading your recommendation you mention Foamex. So I found one that meets my budget which is $684. I saw it from amazon.com so its free shipping. I am not sure which to buy because they are roughly around the same price scale and level in terms of quality and construction except for Foamex, which you mention to be cooler when you sleep.

Here is the one from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Foamex-10-Inch-Premium-Mattress-Natural/dp/B001E972MA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

here is one from Samsclub:

Also I am located in southern California (Los Angeles/Pasadena area) and could not find a local manufacture that sells memory foam beds. I went to a few local stores however they were very pricey and only 3lbs of foam.

Also I did see that samsclub has a memory bed called Night Therapy, have you heard anything from them? The site shows its Made in China so not sure how accurate the info will be.

Please let me know which one would be a good buy:

1. Costco Novaform Gel
  2. Amazon Foamex
  3. Samsclub Aerus

Thanks!
Lisa T