They don't make em like they used to ??

So I began my search for a potential new mattress about 3 weeks ago. I have a Therapedic Medicoil Essence that is around 17 yrs old.( I know it wasn’t super expensive ) We put a memory foam topper on it about 5 years ago??. No particular reason other we thought it might be more comfy and it was on sale. :stuck_out_tongue: Since then we have been bad about flipping the mattress as recommended. In fact I don’t think I we flipped once in that time!! Anyway we decided that the bed had lost comfort so we took off the topper and flipped it.
So we have been sleeping on it without the foam topper and it actually seems like we are getting a better sleep. Me in particular. My wife says that after 2 weeks she thinks it a bit better too. (sleeping on our side may be a bit less comfortable)
During my research I have discovered that the 2 sided mattress is a thing of the past unless you pay extra (or nearly always).
The question is; Has the industry changed so much that are you even more likely to end up with a piece of junk mattress today (unless you are a savvy shopper) than 20yrs ago.?
Our Therapedic seems to be fairly solid with no obvious flaws ( I can hear the springs a bit when sitting down hard or “playing with the wife” :stuck_out_tongue: but the topper was on so long that i can’t remember what it was like before)
At this point I am hesitant to get a new mattress if they are all are going to have a relatively short life span particularly on our 700 - 900 budget. I may just get a latex topper for the side sleep issue.
Phoenix, Any thought on the older Therapedic mattress? Can you also point me to any info on long term studies for durability for these new foam products?
Thanks.

Hi klphoto7,

While this is the case with most of the major manufacturers that you will most often see advertised in the mainstream industry … it certainly isn’t the case with many smaller manufacturers that make great quality/value mattresses all across the country that I would normally suggest buying from anyway.

There is more about the mainstream industry change from two sided mattresses to one sided mattresses in post #3 here and there is more about the pros and cons of a two sided mattress in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

If you shop for a mattress in the way that most people do and focus more on the major manufacturers or chain stores and you don’t confirm that there are no lower quality materials in a mattress you are considering then the odds are much higher that you will end up purchasing a mattress that uses lower quality materials and has a significant weak link in the design (see the guidelines here along with this article).

There have been many changes in the industry in the last 15 - 20 years and it’s certainly true that many if not most of them are for the worse (see post #3 here and post #404 here and post #12 here among many others on the forum that discuss this).

I would need to know the specifics of the materials in any particular mattress to make any meaningful comments about it but it’s very likely that the mattress you own uses both higher quality and more durable materials than many of the mainstream mattresses made today and of course being two sided will also be more durable than an equivalent one sided choice.

There aren’t any “studies” that make apples to apples comparisons between the durability of the many thousands of different combinations of materials and components that are used to make mattresses and the durability and useful life of a mattress is also relative to the specific person sleeping on the mattress and how long it takes before they cross the thresholds from sleeping well on a mattress to sleeping “OK” to “tolerating” a mattress and then finally deciding to replace it and this can vary widely between people.

Having said that … there is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here (including durability) that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

If you haven’t read it already … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Got a surprise “freebie” barely used guest room mattress from a relatives friend who was moving out of state. Its as best as I can tell a higher end Serta with a very plush pillow top made for Sears. It is a bit more plush than I would like although the support (coils and foam) below seems very good. The question for you Phoenix is what would a latex topper do in this situation? We want to firm it up a little bit. I have read conflicting bits of info about firming up a too soft mattress. Some say you can other you can’t.
A link to this discontinued mattress that really doesn’t give many specifics of the foam etc (lovely PR description that makes it sound it was designed in heaven itself lol) http://www.searsoutlet.com/Perfect-Sleeper-%23174-Elite-Arden-Shores-Twin-Super-Pillow-Top-Plush/d/product_details.jsp?pid=81240&mode=seeAll
In the worst case scenario Im back where I started and can use this in a guest room with no financial loss.

Thanks.

Keith

Hi klphot7,

It will depend to some degree on the “type” of firmness you are talking about because there are different types of firmness and softness that each come from different layers in a mattress (see post #15 here). It’s much easier to soften a mattress that is too firm than to firm up a mattress that is too soft and “unsupportive” because a firmer topper will generally “bend into” any softer layers that are underneath it or “follow” any soft spots or sagging in the mattress so the effects of a firmer topper will tend to be limited or temporary. In most cases making a mattress that is too soft any firmer would require removing and replacing the upper layers that are either too thick or too soft although a firmer topper can affect the “feel” of the sleeping surface.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to each other and to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may be helpful in clarifying the different types of “support” and “pressure relief”.

There are also some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful as well.

[quote]A link to this discontinued mattress that really doesn’t give many specifics of the foam etc (lovely PR description that makes it sound it was designed in heaven itself lol) www.searsoutlet.com/Perfect-Sleeper-%231...id=81240&mode=seeAll
In the worst case scenario Im back where I started and can use this in a guest room with no financial loss.[/quote]

You’re right that the description doesn’t provide any specifics but the information they do provide certainly indicates that there are enough lower quality materials in the comfort layers that will be subject to foam softening and sagging that it would be a weak link in the mattress (like most major brand mattresses). Having said that … it’s tough to argue with “free” and if it’s a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then any amount of time that you sleep well on it would be a “bonus”. :slight_smile:

Phoenix