Toppers

My husband rotated the mattress today and it seemed to have temporarily solved the saggy issue. I would like the names of several companies that you would recommend for mattresses. I’d like to have done my homework for when our mattress finally does fail. I live on the San Francisco Peninsula, between SF and San Jose. I did see someone mention foamorder that is based in SF. Do you have any experience with them? Their prices seem good. We’re both in our 60s, so money is an object. (Isn’t it always?!)

I’m intrigued with the idea of a topper. A topper where it supports the body’s pressure points so we’re not tossing and turning all night like a chicken on a spit. My husband is 6’ and weighs 175. I’m 5’2" and weigh 112. I’d love to get a good night sleep and wake up refreshed. This last month had me waking up 3 times a night to go to the bathroom. I thought it was me, but now realize that it was my saggy mattress.

Costco has a memory foam topper for $129, on sale from $159. It’s Novaform (Or Novafoam?) by Sleep Innovations. The nice thing about Costco is their wonderful return policy, should it not be suitable for us.

I’d love any input. I love your mattress forum!

SB

Hi spunkyblondie,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the San Francisco area are listed in post #2 here and in the San Jose area (with some overlap) are listed in post #2 here along with some comments about many of them.

A topper can be a good option if a mattress still has an even sleep surface with no soft spots or sags and just needs some extra softness but it’s only a partial or temporary option at best for a mattress that is sagging because the topper will just follow the sag (see post #4 here).

Again a topper isn’t really a great solution for a saggy mattress (although as you mentioned Costco at least gives you the chance to try it and return it). You can see more of my thoughts about a Costco purchase in post #4 here. The Novaform topper is 3.25 lb density which is low quality memory foam.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible mattress choices … and help you avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Now that it’s been rotated, the upper half seems quite solid. Time will tell. Well, I figured that there would be a lot of options where I live but, geez Louise, there are a ton! Too many! It will probably be confusing once we start looking.

Since you weren’t nuts about the memory foam topper at Costco, is there another topper that you could suggest that might help provide a good night’s sleep without all the tossing and turning all night?

Thank you.

SB

Hi spunkyblondie,

The topper guidelines in post #2 here and in post #8 here include a link to some of the better online options I’m aware of for toppers (including memory foam and gel memory foam). If you are looking at memory foam I would suggest a minimum density of 4 lbs.

Phoenix