Trying to maximize my budget.

Hey everyone,
I stumbled across this site today and am amazed at all the great information I’m finding. I’ve solicited advice from many people during the past few months, and I wish I had known about this site much sooner! I am now becoming ready to make my purchase but am still deciding, and I need to make a decision rather quickly. I just don’t want to make the wrong one!

About me… male, 30, single (meaning no partner’s comfort to consider), 5’9"/190-200lbs, and primarily side or back sleeper. I do often times wake up on my stomach, but that may be due to the tossing and turning that happens at night thanks to my hand-me-down 25 year old mattress. I’m looking to purchase a queen size mattress set.

I live in Lincoln Park, MI, which is just outside of Detroit. I was initially going to shop with QVC, because of the free delivery on Serta mattresses, 30 day return policy with no fees attached, and 5 payment installment plan. However, I stopped in a local store today to compare memory foam vs innerspring, and ended up really liking the place. It’s called Mattress and Futon Shoppe, and they have 13 locations in Michigan. Their pricing seems to be reasonable, with many prices being in the same vicinity as their competitors. They also offer an installment program, but four instead of five. The installments are important for me because I have a good portion of money available from my tax return, but would like to invest in a slightly better mattress and installments help spread out that extra cost.

Anyhow, while visiting their store today I narrowed down my selections from the choices that they had. I’ve been drawn to innerspring during this search because it’s so familiar, but have been forcing myself to give memory foam a fighting chance due to the good things I hear about it. After trying out some in the store today, it’s safe to say that I think I would be fairly happy with the right memory foam mattress, possibly even more so than an innerspring.

My budget is about $800 for the bed, maybe a little more… but I am trying to be reasonable because I will need to buy a frame (current one does not have center support) and a mattress protector, and possibly pay for shipping as well.

The mattress I liked the most within my price range is an innerspring made by Sealy. It’s called Bryan Park, although I know the names mean very little considering the names are never consistent. Here’s a link that will give you all the details: http://www.mattressandfutonshoppe.com/mattress-brands/sealy-posturepedic-mattresses/bryan-park-plush

This grabbed my attention because it had all of the features in a mattress I was seriously considering from QVC, but also had titanium coils (which the QVC did not), and also because I preferred the plush over the firm, and the QVC selection only came in firm. While I do enjoy some pillow top mattresses, I’m leaning towards a regular plush mattress because I’m theorizing that they may be more durable and less prone to the impressions and flattening that pillow tops are known for. (Am I right on that?) On the web site, after adding the foundation, it totals 699. While in the store today, the salesman told me current pricing was 599. Then 60 for a frame and 50 for delivery. Oh, and tax of course.

The next option I’m considering is a memory foam mattress. It’s also made by Sealy, and is called Ocean Pointe. Here’s the link, although I’m sure you’re probably already familiar with it. http://www.mattressandfutonshoppe.com/mattress-brands/sealy-comfort-series-mattresses/ocean-pointe-gel-memory-foam-queen-mattress?cPath=38_41

I laid on this in the store as well today, and while I would prefer something a little plusher, I’m sure this would be adequate. After researching, I found out that they make a Coral Bay, which has extra memory foam to add to the plush feeling. Unfortunately, I don’t see the Coral Bay on my retailer’s web site and I’m not sure I’d want to stretch my budget quite that far anyway. The tag on the Ocean Pointe in the store said 999 today, so I disregarded it. After returning home and checking their web site, I found the mattress for 629 and 170 for the foundation. I guess I should have inquired more about the price before disregarding it!

My debate is this… I’m drawn to paying more for the memory foam mattress because I can still afford it, and I’m getting the impression that memory foam is more durable than innerspring with comfort layers. However, the quality of the foams used in this particular foam mattress aren’t the best, so I’m wondering if it still holds the advantage or if it would be about as durable as the innerspring I mentioned in the beginning. Both mattresses have 10 year warranties, although I’m well aware there’s a good chance their lifespan may not be quite that long.

Phoenix, if you have already read through my mini-novel of a post, I sincerely thank you. If you would be willing to answer a few questions about it, I would be eternally grateful! I had some inquiries during the pre-text above, and I’m ultimately wondering… between these two mattresses, which you would recommend given the info I’ve provided about what I’m looking for? Do you see more value in one over the other? And most importantly, are there any other retailers in my area that you would recommend that may have better pricing? I am not at all stuck on brand names and would be open to factory direct or outlet, provided they have flexibility with payment options. (I could always wait it out and save up myself and buy later, but this is already a long overdue decision and my back hurts like you wouldn’t believe!)

I’m going to stop myself here, because if I don’t, I could continue on for quite a while. I’m very long winded. Thank you so much for taking the time to read through all of this, and if you would be willing to share your expertise, I would very much appreciate it!! Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Hi retrokick,

The first thing I would suggest is to step back a little and start again at square one by reading post #1 here and the information it links to. This will give you a new set of eyes to look at choosing a mattress and perhaps most important it will help you eliminate the worst choices including every mattress you mentioned and the other major brands or mattresses where you don’t know the details of what is inside them.

Lower quality materials and foam in the upper comfort layers of a mattress … whether they are in a pillowtop or a tight top … are the reason so many mattresses today soften much too quickly and the loss of comfort and support that comes from the softening of lower quality foams is not covered by warranty until it actually leaves a permanent impression that is deeper than the warranty exclusion which is not the norm (which is why warranties have little to do with how long a mattress will last).

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials that are in them and the material quality in the major brands can’t compete with the better smaller independent manufacturers that are either sold factory direct or through smaller sleep shops no matter what price range you are looking at. As a single example you can see the layering here of the Coral Bay you were mentioning and all of the layers are either low quality (the 2.5 lb memory foam and the polycore base layer which is 1.5 lbs) or medium quality (the 4 lb memory foam) and these materials don’t belong in a mattress in this price range.

Once you have read the information in the post I linked you will be in a much better position to focus on better choices and you will also know the value of dealing with retailers who are able to tell you the quality of every layer in a mattress you are considering so that you can make more meaningful comparisons. Without this … quality is just a marketing word that retailers throw around that has no substance or meaning behind it.

The better options and possibilities in the Detroit area that I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

The Mattress & Futon Shoppe doesn’t have a single mattress listed on their site that I would seriously consider or that you will be able to find out any meaningful information about what is in them (which means that both you and the retailer would have no idea of their real quality or value).

So I would read or scan some of the basic information I linked to so you can better recognize the salespeople and retailers who really do understand what makes a good mattress and who already know what you would otherwise have to learn and are willing to use their knowledge to educate you about how to make a great quality/value choice.

Phoenix

Wow, thanks so much for the quick reply! I will be going over this in detail after I get home from work later. Starting from scratch isn’t ideal, but I had my suspicions about the mattresses I’ve looked at so far and you have confirmed them. Taking the extra time for more research will surely be worth it. I’ll let you know what I find. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Hi retrokick,

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

Sometimes mattress shopping can involve a “reset” of many previously held assumptions which have resulted in some low quality and value purchases (and it’s safe to say that this is probably even the “norm”).

If you need to “decipher” or verify anything you are told or have questions along the way … don’t hesitate to post them here.

Phoenix