Tuft and Needle vs Bed in a Box

I’ve been trying to figure out what to replace my current Simmons mattress with. I’ve had it for under 2 years and already it’s terribly sagging. The only local mattress outlet happens to be where I bought this from, so I won’t be buying there again. I live in the middle of nowhere (Johnson City, TN) so there aren’t many places for me to shop within my budget (king size for <$1000).

Coincidentally though, Bed in a Box happens to be based in Johnson City, TN. I’ve read here that they use a lower density memory foam and it is not recommended, but maybe this is outweighed by the fact that it’s a local business and I can just drive the mattress over there if I am unsatisfied or if there is a warranty issue. I went to their show room (which is attached to their manufacturing facility) and was impressed with their PacBed Original mattress. It did not put too much pressure on me laying on my side and overall it felt like the right balance between supporting my sleeping posture and not cutting off circulation to my arm.

However, Tuft and Needle has a king size mattress for almost half the price. I am primarily a side sleeper though, and I’m worried that a 5" thick mattress won’t be enough for me since I am on the heavier side (~210 lbs). I’m leaning toward the Tuft and Needle just because it costs less, but don’t want to end up with a mattress that I can’t sleep on my side on. Does anyone have experience with side sleep on this mattress?

Also, I’m concerned with longevity. Tuft and Needle has a 5 year warranty whereas Bed in a Box has a 10 year warranty (well it’s 20, but it’s prorated after 10 years). Are warranties typically a good indicator of how long I can expect the mattress to last?

Hi tsume,

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Johnson City area are listed in post #2 here which may be helpful.

It wouldn’t make a difference for me and a warranty isn’t nearly as important as the quality of the materials in a mattress. You’ve probably read this but for the sake of others that may read this there is more about BIAB in post #2 here. The most common issue that comes from using lower density memory foam is foam softening and “virtual impressions” (without a visible impression) which results in the loss of comfort and support which aren’t covered by a warranty because there isn’t a visible sag that is deeper than the warranty exclusions (see post #174 here about mattress warranties).

Because of the exclusions and because they only cover defects and don’t cover the main reason that a mattress needs to be replaced which is the loss of comfort and support … mattress warranties are often more about marketing and aren’t a good or reliable indicator about the durability or the useful life of a mattress. There is more about the many factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Tuft and Needle is a member of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality and value. They are really an apples to oranges comparison with a memory foam mattress (they are a thinner polyfoam mattress) but they are well designed and use good quality durable materials (about 2 lb polyfoam) which is very unusual in this price range but it would also be important to talk with them about whether their mattress would be a good match for you in terms of PPP. They also have a good return policy that has no real risk in case the mattress doesn’t work well for you when you receive it and sleep on it but if it does work well for you then at least you know it uses durable materials.

Phoenix

Thanks for the informative reply!

I’ve been to Zak’s but everything they have is way out of my price range. I didn’t know that furniture row had a factory direct place (Denver Mattress) so I will have to check that one out. The furniture row here is a little hidden so I forgot all about it. I might check out the one place in Greeneville from that post as well.

Given this info, I think my game plan will be to just order the Tuft and Needle mattress due to their 30 day trial that doesn’t seem to be a big risk. If that doesn’t work out, then check out the above places. It’s good to see that Tuft and Needle is a member here though. Thanks for the guidance, it gives me a better idea of what to be looking for in a mattress.

Hi tsume,

I’m glad the site could help you and if you decide to go ahead with the Tuft and Needle mattress I’m looking forward to your feedback as well. They are one of the newer members here (although I’ve had the chance to talk with them over a longer period of time as they were developing their mattress) so there hasn’t been a lot of feedback from members yet.

Phoenix

I ordered from Tuft and Needle today, I will let you know how it is once the mattress comes but at this time, I cannot overstate how friendly, prompt and generally excellent the customer service has been.

Hi jenyoowen,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I also think highly of the customer service and the people at Tuft and Needle and they have always impressed me with their commitment to educating their customers and continuous improvement and development.

Since they are so new … I’m especially looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Last night was the first night on the new Tuft and Needle. I slept great!
The mattress is definitely firm but I think it’s what I need. I sleep mostly on my back because I have been in such bad back pain for the last year. I was able to easily roll over for the first time in months after sleeping on a terrible overly soft mattress with a lot of middle sag. I am 5’10’’ and 150 lbs, with degenerative disc disease. I will need a few nights of course to make an overall recommendation. I’ve been thinking that if it feels too firm in the long run, I might get a natural latex topper - not too thick though maybe 2" for a little more springyness.
I’ll stay in touch about the mattress but I continue to sing praises about Tuft and Needle’s customer service. One of the best companies I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with.
The price was great, MU’s discount was awesome ( thank you) and they are offering me $30 back for everyone that orders a mattress on my recommendation- and the buyer also gets $30! They are smart, have great style and really seem to care about having a quality product.

Hi jenyoowen,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Its good to see that your initial impression is so good.

Phoenix

I’ve been sleeping on the mattress for a week or so and my first impressions are that it is pretty good. I had a hard time falling asleep at first as I am not used to such a firm mattress, but that is slowly going away. When laying on my side, there is pressure on my hips that is almost uncomfortable. I think this might be due to the thinness of the mattress plus the fact that I’m fat.

I have not woken up with a sore back though, and that is why I bought this. The mattress has become noticeably softer since I first slept on it, and I think it’s at the right level now. I hope that was the break in period and it doesn’t keep getting softer. The mattress seems to be giving me the right level of support so that I am not straining my back while I’m sleeping. Overall I am pretty happy with it.

Hi tsume,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

At the beginning I would rotate the mattress every couple of weeks to help it break in more evenly and then gradually extend the time you do this to once a season.

2 lb foam will soften less and more slowly than lower quality polyfoam but of course a thinner mattress is more “futon like” in its firmness because it’s compressing more deeply and becoming firmer under your weight.

I hope you have the chance to give us an update after about 30 days or so which is fairly “standard” for the initial break in and adjustment period.

Phoenix

I’ve had this Tuft and Needle mattress for a year and a few months. It doesn’t seem to have held up as well as I hoped, as the foam has lost quite a bit of it’s firmness. I’ve been waking up with a sore back and find sleeping on my side to be uncomfortable since the foam gives so easily. I’ve also gained a few pounds so I’m sure that hasn’t helped the situation. I have rotated the mattress every 60 days or so (not flipped though since it’s one sided) so I was hoping it would last longer. One thing that may have accelerated the softening of the foam is that I have 3 large dogs and they walk and sleep on the bed daily.

I see they now have a much thicker (and more expensive) replacement on their website. I’m not sure if I want to get that as a replacement or get a traditional mattress that may last me longer. I can’t use the warranty because my dog peed on the corner (take my advice - get a waterproof cover for these things!).

Hi tsume,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t hold up as well as you hoped for.

There are several possibilities why this may have happened including the thickness of your mattress (I’m guessing that you ordered the 5" version?) which may not have been thick enough for you, the weight change you mentioned, the urine or even the regular moisture that we all release during sleep (which can degrade foam more quickly) in combination with the lack of a mattress protector, the effect of the dogs walking or sleeping on the mattress, or even the support surface you are using under the mattress (you can try the mattress on the floor to see if it makes a difference). There are also some suggestions in post #4 here that may also be helpful to extend the life of a mattress that has developed soft spots or is sagging.

While there are many good options that are available to you … their new mattress uses a higher density and more durable comfort layer than their old version (see posts #2 and #6 here) but as you mentioned I would make sure you use a mattress protector on any new mattress. I would also be very cautious about most “traditional” mattresses because so many of them use lower quality and less durable materials in their comfort layers than even the old version of the Tuft & Needle.

Phoenix

The stain is just on the corner so I don’t think that really affected the mattress too much. I think it is mostly because I am a heavier guy.

I do want to say that their customer service is super amazing, and based on that I definitely would recommend them to anyone. I got in touch with them regarding my mattress and they have blown me away with their great customer service response. I will let you know how the 10" version turns out for me.

Do you have a recommendation for mattress protectors? I was not able to find a water resistant one that didn’t sound crunchy. What I’ve been using since I got it is two fitted sheets, which provides some protection but it’s not a bona fide mattress protector.

Hi tsume,

I don’t have any specific recommendations but there is more about the pros and cons of the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here. One of the thinner membrane type of protector are popular choices because they are waterproof (or at least “mostly” waterproof), are relatively inexpensive, and have little effect on the feel of a mattress although they are also less breathable than other types of protectors so they can also sleep warmer for some people.

Phoenix

I said I would update so here it is: It’s been about 3 months since I got the new 10" version of the Tuft and Needle mattress, King size. I put a Luna brand waterproof cover over it which seems alright. It does make more noise than a regular mattress cover but it is not bad at all. The mattress itself has been wonderful, even better than the original Tuft and Needle I had when it was brand new. I never wake up with any back pain and I find it easier to fall asleep than with any other mattress I have had in the past. The mattress is not too spongy nor is it too firm. It is also very comfortable for couples to lay down and watch Netflix together, among other things. Speaking of that, the biggest improvement between this and the old model would be the comfort level of side sleeping. It is night and day. The only big complaint I had with the original Tuft and Needle when it was new was how firm it felt when side sleeping, and the new 10" version has completely fixed that. Overall I would say this is the best mattress, period.

Hi tsume,

Thanks for taking the time to share your update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your Tuft & Needle is working out so well for you!

Phoenix