Tuft n Needle vs. Pure Latex Bliss

Hi Phoenix,

I’m in the market for a new bed and tried a Pure Latex Bliss in a local store. The models that were most comfortable to me on the floor were the Nutrition and Beautiful. (They both felt about the same to me.) There was one model that was softer that I liked a lot as well. I don’t recall the name of it. But the price for these mattresses are much too high for my budget.

I found your website and found Tuft n Needle mattresses seem to be well liked by the majority of consumers, but there are no showrooms in my area. (I live in the Seattle, WA area.) And some reviewers say that Tuft n Needle is too firm and they are having to buy an additional topper for it. (If I needed that as well, I wouldn’t know where to begin. And that adds additional cost that I would like to avoid.)

Do you know how Tuft n Needle compares to the Pure Latex Bliss models I mentioned above in terms of softness and support?

I am also considering getting an adjustable foundation for it. I liked the zero gravity setting from the showroom I visited. It also vibrated. No idea if that is something I would like or dislike over time.

Thanks!

Hi Skyrial,

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but these are completely different types of mattresses and would be difficult to compare because the materials they use are so different (one is latex and the other is polyfoam) and these types of comparisons can be very subjective and relative to the perceptions of each person.

There is also no “standard” definition or consensus of opinion for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. This is all relative and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here).

The best place to start your research for a new mattress is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

If you are looking at an online purchase then the tutorial includes a couple of links to two lists of some of the better online options that I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

There is also more about the pros and cons of some of the newer “breed” of “one choice fits all” mattresses such as Tuft & Needle in post #3 here.

If you are interested in more local options that you can test for firmness in person before a purchase then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Seattle area (subject to the “value” guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix