TULO Mattress

Hi there,

I’m interested in purchasing a Tulo “firm” mattress. I’ve gone into a store to try one out and although I like the feeling, I’m worried about it’s durability/longevity. In other words, I don’t want it to feel great today, but get lumpy and compressed in a year or two. I’ve attached a picture of the mattress composition/layers below. Do you think this mattress is made of quality material that will last? Any opinion/advice you may have would be really helpful. Thanks!

Tulo was launched in 2017 by Steinhoff International, the owner (presently - they’re having some issues with accounting “irregularities”) of Mattress Firm. They sell these at Mattress Firm stores and with Tulo online. Steinhoff became a majority owner in Sherwood Bedding, who may be making the Tulo for Mattress Firm, but I’m not sure about that. Tulo states its mattresses are made in the USA, but doesn’t note the source for the foams (“made” in the USA doesn’t necessarily mean that the materials are also domestic), so you may wish to confirm that with them in case that is important to you.

The general specifications for the product are listed on their web site (scroll down and click on Mattress Materials). They list the same specs on their web site for all three models, but on the MF site give different word descriptions for the convoluted foam layer, so perhaps this is where they are making IFD changes for different comforts. There could be differences as well in other layers - this is all I can see from the information they present.

It’s good that you’ve been able to try it and find a comfort you desire. As for the foam densities and IFD (for durability), they don’t offer any IFD numbers for their memory foam or polyurethane foam. But they do list densities, which has a stronger correlation to durability than IFD. Using what they offer and assuming it is the same for all three models, the base foam is at 1.8 lb, which would be a good starting point for a true high density polyurethane foam. Above that is 1.5" of 2.5 lb polyurethane foam. It’s listed as “firm” and “high-resiliency” (which means it should be at least 2.4 compression modulus), but they don’t provide the CM to confirm it is a true high resiliency foam, nor the IFD. They also mention the “strut reinforcing technology” engineered into the foam, which has been around for over a decade. Altering the chemistry to make the struts stronger within flexible polyurethane foam can help achieve a stronger and more durable foam. Above this is convoluted foam which appears to be of different IFDs, depending upon the model chosen. This is also listed at 2.5 lb density, but appears to be a different style of polyurethane foam than what is used beneath it. This density would be a better quality material, but being convoluted it can less durable than a solid sheet of the same type of foam. On top is 2" of 3.25 lb memory foam. It has some holes drilled in it in certain areas to assist with air flow, as well as some titanium particles which can assist with an initial cooler hand feel and an initial cooler comfort (although it doesn’t conduct as well as copper, aluminum or steel and the amount in a mattress would be small compared to the actual foam polymer density), after which the system tends to load and then the temperature is determined by your body heat. There are also claims of added support to a foam using this, which tends to be most noticeable at the end of the compression curve. My biggest concern would be the density of this memory foam (specifically the polymer density), which being in the uppermost layer would also undergo the most mechanical stress. But this is also a lower-priced mattress, so take this all into account.

I hope that helps. You’re unlikely to get much detailed technical information from the salespeople at Mattress Firm (not their fault, they generally aren’t trained/informed about such things), so doing some reading online for your homework can be quite useful for items like this.

I forgot to add, there is an article on this site located here that some people like to use regarding foam densities.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress Firm