Turmerry vs DIY- plus size sleepers

Hi All-
About us-
5’5- 220 lbs, chronic shoulder pain. Side sleeper
5’7- 190 lbs intermittent back pain. Back and side sleeper.

We both traditionally like the feel of a soft/ plush mattress.

Questions:
I like the idea of the Turmerry Latex mattress because I believe I will be able to return it easily if it doesn’t work out. We have never slept on latex and don’t have anywhere particularly close to try one out.

I like the customization of a DIY (looking at Sleep EZ but open to other recommendations) but am worried about what to do if we hate it.

I’m also concerned about getting a soft enough feel that still offers support-- the recommendations I see say to go with a top layer in medium density- will this feel too hard on the shoulders? Also, would Dunlop vs Talalay make much difference for the top layer in this regard?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi helpmesleep and new MUGster,
Welcome to the MattressUnderGround, we are very happy to have you join our forum.

I will let @Sleep_EZ answer you questions, but I would just check again with Turmerry regarding their topper. I can only seem to find that they offer a 5 zoned topper which not everyone prefers, so keep that in mind as you do your research.

Additionally, companies like @Sleep_EZ, and DIY can customize something for you and your significant other. The TM’s here are true professionals and experts and will work with you each step of the way.

I expect you should hear from @Sleep_EZ at some point to answer your questions.

Best of luck on your search,

Maverick

Hi @Maverick thanks for getting back to me!

Looks like Turmerry now sells a full Latex Matress- not sure how new of an offering this is: https://www.turmerry.com/products/natural-organic-latex-mattress that consists of 3 or 4 dunlop latex layers in varying densities based on the firmness level the consumer chooses.

1 Like

WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT

Experience a 3 (or 4) layer all-foam mattress with adjustable firmness, striking the perfect balance between cushioning and support for the best night’s sleep.

Crafted with GOLS-certified organic Dunlop latex foam, sustainably sourced from rubber trees in Sri Lanka.

Features an innovative 5-Zone Design, engineered to provide the perfect amount of firmness and softness for each part of your body.

Choose from various height, size, and firmness options that perfectly fits your needs.

No toxic off-gassing, chemical flame retardants, fiberglass, or PU foams for a healthier sleeping environment.

Each latex foam layer features carefully perforated holes for superior breathability and cooling.

Fire resistance and temperature regulation are seamlessly integrated with a natural New Zealand wool layer.

Enveloped in a silky-smooth, breathable organic cotton cover that adds extra comfort and safeguards the mattress.

Yes, they do, but their latex, still employs that 5 zone latex layer. So you need to be sure that is something you will be comfortable with.

Thanks @Maverick as a side & side/back sleeper do you have any insight into this or is the zoning more of a personal preference? Also any reason to think the latex quality used by Turmerry would be any different than that of a DIY build? Again, my only real interest in Turmerry is the 120 day trial/ ease of return.
Thanks!

@helpmesleep,

I will let @Sleep_EZ address some of those concerns. There are differences in quality of latex. The process, cleaning during manufacturing, and the formula they use to produce the final product. They will discuss zoning and the pros and cons. Since you placed the question in the Talk to the experts, I wanted to welcome you to TMU and let @Sleep_EZ know there was a question for them by using the “@” and then their name.

They do a great job at responding to MUGster’s questions and concerns.

Maverick

1 Like

I am not as familiar with Turmerry’s zoning.

In general, when zoned, it means that the layer is designed with specific zones or areas that provide different levels of support. Here are some potential benefits of using a zoned latex mattress layer:

1. Targeted Support: Zoned latex layers are designed with different firmness levels in specific areas, such as the head, shoulders, lumbar region, hips, and legs. This targeted support aims to align the spine properly and relieve pressure points in different parts of the body.
  2. Pressure Relief: Latex is known for its ability to conform to the body’s shape, providing pressure relief. The zoned design enhances this feature by focusing on areas where pressure points are more likely to occur, such as the shoulders and hips.
  3. Improved Spinal Alignment: The zoned construction can help promote better spinal alignment by providing varying levels of support where needed. This can contribute to reduced back pain and improved sleep quality.
  4. Motion Isolation: Latex has natural motion-isolating properties, which means it can absorb and minimize the transfer of motion. This is beneficial for couples, as movements on one side of the bed are less likely to disturb the other.
  5. Breathability and Temperature Regulation: Latex is known for its breathability, allowing for good airflow. This can help regulate temperature and prevent overheating during sleep.
  6. Hypoallergenic: Natural latex is resistant to dust mites and other allergens, making it a suitable choice for individuals with allergies or sensitivities.
  7. Durability: Latex layers are generally durable and have a longer lifespan compared to some other types of mattress layer materials. They can provide consistent support for an extended period.

It’s important to note that individual preferences vary, and the effectiveness of a latex layer, zoned or not, may depend on factors such as personal comfort preferences, size and weight of the sleepers and any specific health concerns.

Thank you for reaching out! Our layered mattress models offer a unique advantage: not only can you use our online customizing tool to tailor your mattress based on height, weight, and preferred sleep positions, but you can also adjust the comfort by rearranging layers within the mattress. Additionally, our 90-day layer exchange policy allows you to exchange comfort layers, one at a time, as many times as needed, with only shipping costs involved. This significantly reduces the risk of buying a mattress online, as you can fine-tune it until it meets your needs perfectly.

Based on the information provided, I recommend a three-layer mattress configuration for both of you: a Medium 3" Talalay layer on top, a Medium 3" Dunlop layer in the middle, and a Firm 3" Dunlop layer on the bottom. This configuration suits individuals weighing between approximately 185lbs up to approximately 230lbs who primarily sleep on their side and/or back. The Medium Talalay layer offers the pressure relief and contouring needed for your respective weights, while the combination of medium over firm Dunlop layers below provides gradual yet ample support.

Talalay latex, being softer compared to Dunlop, is ideal for the top surface layer, providing enhanced pressure relief. On the other hand, Dunlop latex, being denser and heavier, is best suited for support below. Think of Talalay latex as angel cake—lighter and fluffier—and Dunlop latex as pound cake—heavier and denser.

To ensure maximum adjustability, I recommend splitting all three layers so that each of you can customize your individual side of the mattress as needed.

Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out any time.

Thanks again!

SleepEZ

1 Like