Upstate NY needs a high quality pocket coil-latex hybrid mattress for 1500.

Hi Phoenix and Hello everyone.

I am in Albany NY and I am looking for a high quality, American made new mattress with natural materials in the 1000-1500.00 dollar range with delivery. First let me say thanks to Phoenix for this site. It’s quite informative and helpful because, shopping for a mattress…( in my opinion and it’s my first time) is almost like shopping for a car. Can I get a good mattress at this price, even if it’s not a Sterns and Foster or Airloom?

First, let me say that that here in upstate NY we dont have a ton of options. Currently I am sleeping on a Casper Queen mattress (replaced an 13 year old Ikea), which quite honestly, I don’t like. It’s too hot, not very comfortable and well, just feels plain wierd. For most of my life I have slept on an innerspring mattress, and I think I am just not adjusting to the whole foam thing. I looked at Saatva as well, but kind of became suspicious because of all the fantastic reviews.

Being a overwieght and side and stomach sleeper who frequently changes postions, the Casper mattress doesnt work for me. My shoulders frequently hurt, and my arms get numb. I toss and turn and sometimes I wake up and my lower back hurts as well. I been at Sleepys, Metro Mattess and Macy’s but I prefer to go to a smaller manufactuter rather that to the run of the mill major brands. Partially because I am uncomfortable with not really knowing what materials they use, chemicals and so on. So now I am on my quest to replace my Casper. I have tested a few mattresses with wrapped pocket springs, and I think I want to go the hybrid latex pocket spring route with latex and cotton. But is this possible on my budget? So moving forward…My research has brought out allot of names of mattress makers, however the ones I am interested in all seem to be out west, and I dont know if they even ship this ways…(reasonably that is) Question? Are latex pocket coil mattresses with a good value and do they last say 10 years? Whats the difference in comfort between talalay and dunlop latex?

I have seen some websites and have com across some names like Savvy Rest, Naturpedic, OMI, Vivetique Sleep Systems and few canadian firms but they seem to want between 2500 and 5000 bucks which I cannot afford. Down the road in Northmapton MA where I work, this store called Fly By Night has some nice Berkley Ergonomics and a brand called Gold bond which I never heard of. But the Berkley takes 5 weeks to deliver to the store and I am 99 miles away and out of thier delivery range.

Now I have run into some other names, Mattresses.net aka Arizona Premium Mattress Co., Sleep Ez, Mattress Makers. Diamond Mattress, and I was wondering what the quality and construction was like, as well as sleep. Again, I dont need organic,but I want a much natural materials as I can get. I happen to be going to LA in two weeks and was wondering if there are any stores or showrooms that anyone can recommend. I am going to be in LA, Ventura/Oxnard, Palm Springs, and San Diego.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi Howlin Hound,

I’m sorry to hear that your Casper mattress isn’t working out for you but the good news is that you had the foresight to purchase an online mattress that has a very good return policy so you had the chance to try it will little risk outside of the time and effort involved in testing it out and returning or donating it.

I certainly wouldn’t be using Stearns & Foster or Aireloom as a reference point for quality/value and as you can see in the guidelines here I would tend to avoid both of them along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of the materials inside them.

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how to avoid the worst ones.

Your budget is quite low for a good quality latex/pocket coil hybrid and you may have some difficulty finding one locally that’s in your budget range but there are some latex/innerspring hybrids listed in post #2 here that would be well worth including in your research that you can use as reference points for quality/value and several of them are inside your budget.

Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict whether any mattress will be a good match for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) and the only reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP ( Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specific options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them in post #2 here.

Outside of comfort and PPP … a mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. Most of the companies that you mentioned make high quality mattresses that don’t have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design but you may have some difficult finding out the specifics of the materials inside some of the Diamond mattresses you encounter.

You can read a little more about Gold Bond in post #4 here but once again the quality/value of any particular mattress will depend on the specifics of the materials and components that are inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer.

None of the Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in that are close to you in the Albany/Schenectady area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

The Springfield,Northampton list is in post #4 here

The list for Los Angeles in is post #2 here.

The list for San Diego is in post #2 here.

These will help you narrow down your options in each of the areas you mentioned and help you avoid the worst choices but you will need to make some phone calls to find out which of the options in each of the lists I linked carry one or more mattresses that fir your criteria and you would be interested in testing on their floor (I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses that each of the retailers or manufacturers that are listed in the hundreds of local lists in the forum have on their showroom floor which would be more than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market).

If you are also considering online options then the tutorial post also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that would also be well worth including in your research.

Phoenix