Urban Mattress Dahlia Help

I have been searching for a new mattress for several months now. Our old WinkBed did not last long at all. My wife and I are currently trialing the LMF’s Luxerion all latex mattress in Firm. It just isn’t working out for us. We wake up with lower/mid back stiffness every morning.

I came across Urban Mattress searching both TMU and the internet. It sounds like their products are made with quality materials based on my research here. I reached out to the owner and he recommended his Dahlia mattress in Firm for us.

I am 5 ft. 9 in. and weigh 215. My wife is 5 ft. 3 in. and weighs 200. We are both predominantly stomach sleepers (85% of the time). Usually with one leg curled up in the prone position. However we will occasionally find ourselves on our sides.

The specs for the Urban Mattress Dahlia are as follows:

Outer Layer: Natural Bamboo cover. 0.4 Inch natural Talalay latex and wool filling: 1.5 inches of 3 lb HR Cold Foam.

Comfort Layer: 2 inches of 28 ILD Talalay Latex

Support layer: 884 6-inch 14.5 gauge pocketed coils.

Obviously no one can say this mattress will be comfortable for us, but could someone please comment on if the specs for the mattress are in line with what we would need for our body types and sleeping style? From everything I’ve read on this site it seems to be about right but I was hoping someone confirm since I live too far away from the Urban Mattress store to try it out.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey HelpPlease,

Welcome to the MattressUnderGround and becoming a new MUGster.

When evaluating any mattress, it’s essential to consider your PPPs (Personal Preference, Posture and Alignment, and Pressure Relief) in conjunction with your body profile, including age, height, and weight. It seems you’ve encountered challenges with previous choices, such as the short lifespan of your old WinkBed and discomfort with the LMF’s Luxerion all-latex mattress in Firm.

Given the provided personal details, a durable, stable, and supportive core support layer is crucial. The quote you shared highlights the issues faced with the current mattress and the desire for a comfortable solution.

When a mattress causes problems like back stiffness, understanding your posture and alignment during rest is crucial. For stomach sleepers like you, a firm mattress is often preferred. It’s challenging to assess the WinkBed without knowing the specific model and firmness, but even the standard Wink, even in firm, may not be firm enough for stomach sleepers like you and your wife.

Swapping the 28ILD comfort layer with a 38ILD might address the issue, and consulting with @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 is recommended. When sleeping on your stomach, any sinking of the stomach and hip area can strain back muscles, leading to pain.

A supportive, thicker gauge spring support layer is advocated, promoting long-term sustained support. Examining the Urban Dahlia, there doesn’t seem to be a fundamental change in feel compared to the Luxerion. The 28ILD comfort layer appears to be a common factor causing discomfort.

If the spring support is sufficient, addressing the less firm comfort layer in both mattresses could be the key. Firming up the entire mattress or zoning it for added support in the middle area may be advisable. Considering the height differences between you and your wife, starting with a completely firmer comfort layer without zoning is suggested.

For individuals over 200lb, a firmer mattress is often preferred. Exploring segmented mattresses like @CST performance mattress Custom Sleep Tech Performance could provide precise targeting for specific body areas.

Ultimately, working with @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 to fine-tune your current system is encouraged, considering your existing investment in the mattress system. Hopefully, these insights will aid you in finding the perfect solution through fine-tuning. Good luck!

Maverick

Thanks for the input Maverick. I’m tracking a lot of what you’re saying based on my research on this site. Based on input from LMF, we have tried swapping the 28 ILD layer with the 38 ILD layer and actually find it to be worse. That’s why I’m beginning to think that a hybrid with thicker gauge coil springs might be the right answer for us.

I also came across the Nest Sparrow or Owl this morning. Both of those seem like they could be a viable option. Although the foam layers in the Sparrow Firm are borderline for our weight. But I’ll also check out Custom Sleep Tech Peformance and see what they have to offer.

Thanks again for the reply

If you dont care about being a natural mattress, you can take a look at @DLX, DLX’s premier hybrid. Super comfortable mattress, but a different feel than a latex mattress. DLX premier

This offers an option of a split comfort layer, changeable comfort layer, with an excellent support pocketed spring layer.

My MiLaw got one of these in a split comfort(firm/med) queen, but is loving the firm side. Just the right amount of thoughtful design consisting of support, comfort and quality materials with an excellent customer service, warranty, and no hard feelings trial, which most dont actually need to take advantage of.

So you have quite a few options with some of the TM’s here at TMU.

Maverick

2 Likes

Just an afterthought, when you say you switched the 28ILD with the 38ILD. Are you saying you simply brought the 38 to the top and placed the 28 below it?

Or removed the 28 altogether and placed another 38 on top.

If reversing the layers did not work, which i suspect it may not, try removing the 28 and sleep on the 38 on top of the 44 and see how that goes for a couple of days as an option to test.

I simply swapped the two layers so that the 38 ILD was on top of the 28ILD. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would not think that would work under the circumstances. I think you would have needed a bit more support. Try removing the 28 for a couple of days.

It that is too firm, then you can always add a 2" topper to cushion it up a bit. But not a 3" topper, that will change the feel too much.

Hello HelpPlease,

There are a couple of suggestions I would add to this discussion. First, the top layer should be the softest and no less than 3" thick to cradle the body and provide pressure relief. The layer(s) below are the ones that support the top layer and should be weight-appropriate. Second, based on your weight profiles and sleeping position, its important to take pressure off your lower back. Typically, sleeping on your stomach causes lower back pain simply due to what I call a “V Position” stomach sleepers create. Third, consider using a softer density under your shoulders or upper body to allow them to sink just slightly into the mattress. This will take the pressure off your lower back. Lastly, here is the construction I would recommend for a 12" Talalay latex mattress:
Him - Top layer = 24 ILD shoulders / 28 ILD hips (Split at 34")
Second Layer = 32 ILD
Third Layer = 36 ILD
Forth (Bottom) Layer = 44 ILD

Her: Top layer = 19 ILD shoulders / 24 ILD hips (Split at 32")
Second Layer = 28 ILD
Third Layer = 36 ILD
Forth (Bottom) Layer = 44 ILD

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the mention, @Maverick !

If someone finds the WinkBed comfortable, the pushback and buoyancy that can be appealing for those who like latex may contribute to comfort issues. This could explain why the WinkBed feels more comfortable, as its quilting and comfort layers are less resilient feel compared to latex layers.

This observation is purely anecdotal, based on our experiences, and individual preferences vary. However, many individuals who find an all-latex mattress uncomfortable may encounter similar issues with a hybrid mattress that exclusively uses pocket coils and latex as the comfort layers. In such cases, the comfort layers of latex are usually contributing to the discomfort.

If switching the 38 ILD to the top worsens the situation, it may indicate that the comfort layers are providing too much pushback, potentially due to the latex. Adding a 2" polyurethane topper to the existing mattress, even a relatively inexpensive one from stores like Amazon, Target, or Walmart for around $50, could improve the comfort. If you don’t intend to keep the topper long-term, this could serve as a temporary solution while also providing insights for selecting a future mattress.

While it’s likely already been considered, testing the mattress on the floor can help determine if the support is contributing to existing comfort issues.

1 Like

Thank you all for the input. We decided to go away from the all latex mattress. I ordered a Nest Owl in Firm. I’m hoping their pillow top and talalay latex vs. the dunlop latex we currently have will give us the comfort we’re looking for.