Urban Mattress - Uptown

Hi

In the process of selecting a new mattress and ran across one that we seem to like at Urban Mattress called the Uptown. As far as I understand it is relatively new and is an inhouse brand. It is a coil on coil design and uses the following Quantum Edge Coils
Here is all the info I have so far on it as far as comfort layers
(2) 1.5" 1.5lb Soy Based Foam Layers
2" 3lb Memory Foam Layer
2 1/2" microcoils
6 inch pocketed coils

The website does not contain any useful information that I can tell.

Any comments on the construction of this mattress would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Hi mudd,

While I can’t speak to whether a mattress will be a good “match” for someone else in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and/or your own personal experience is the only reliable way to assess this … I can certainly make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and components inside it.

The microcoils and the pocket coils are both good quality and durable components but if these specs are correct then the 3" of 1.5 lb polyfoam (two layers that are 1.5" each) on top of the 2" of 3 lb memory foam are both lower quality/density and less durable materials than I would normally suggest considering (see the durability guidelines here) and taken together I would consider them to be a weak link in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

I would look for a mattress that uses higher quality/density and more durable materials.

Phoenix

Thanks for such a quick reply. The density of the foam is not conducive to the longevity of the mattress I suppose. Surprising to me given the price of the mattress. I have no reason to doubt the specs but I’ll see if I can get any more information. Mattress shopping can be a bit frustrating at times. I appreciate your help.

Hi mudd,

It certainly can be a frustrating experience because so many of the mattresses in the industry use lower quality and less durable materials than I would consider.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

My area code is 87109…Albuquerque, NM. I’ve been to Urban Mattress a few times now. My wife and I slept on a Sealy Innerspring medium-firm mattress for the last 12 years and it was time to look for a replacement. Our first choice was the “Natural Latex” Bed that they currently sell at Costco. It arrived about a month ago and unfortunately is being returned. The main reason for the return is it is just too soft for me. There are a few references to the mattress on the forum and while we were happy with the quality, it is just not the mattress for me. This was our first experience on a latex mattress and if it was just a bit firmer, I think it would have been perfect.

After this experience, we were considering a local store (we feel bad about returning the mattress but it was the prime reason we bought from Costco. So far, we have not found something that matches our quality/price standard. I have read the tutorial you provided a couple of months ago when our search began and greatly appreciate the knowledge it contains. Once our Costco return is processed, we will need a replacement.

At this point, I think we might consider the BB-BME. My wife is not sold on it quite yet as the price difference must mean its not as good. (Yes I know this is not true but sometimes it tough to convince folks of that) I spoke with someone at Brooklyn bedding and the ILD they use in the top layer of the medium is 24 if I remember correctly. Of course it is only 2" of talalay instead of 3" and as you have explained in past threads, this might not mean that it is firmer then the costco latex we have now. Since most of the folks here have had good interactions with Brooklyn Bedding, it might be worth a try. I would really hate to return yet another mattress but for the price and the quality, I think it might be worth a shot.

Thanks again!

Hi mudd,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Albuquerque area are listed in post #5 here.

The Sleep Science 9" natural latex mattress is an “all latex” mattress which uses blended Talalay latex in both the top layer and the base layer and the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever is a latex/polyfoam hybrid which uses 2" of blended Talalay latex, 2" of synthetic Dunlop latex, and 6" of 2 lb polyfoam so the Sleep Science mattress uses more costly materials in the design. There is more about the pros and cons of an all latex mattress vs a latex/polyfoam hybrid in post #2 here.

Having said that … both of them use good quality and durable materials so there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of either one of them relative to any weight range.

The top 3" of latex in the Sleep Science 9" latex mattress is 19 ILD and the base layer is 32 ILD and as far as I know (and you can confirm this with them) the top 2" of blended Talalay latex in the BME medium is 28 ILD and the 2" layer of synthetic Dunlop underneath it is 32 ILD so the top 4" of latex in the BME medium would likely be be firmer than the top 4" of latex in the Sleep Science mattress (and depending on your weight and sleeping positions the top 3" to 6" of a mattress is most of what you “feel” when you sleep on a mattress).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

They would certainly make a great quality/value choice but the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort” firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience but like Costco … Brooklyn Bedding has a trial period and return policy so you can try the mattress to see if it’s “firm enough” for you without risk.

Phoenix