Warranty Claim at the Bay

I am cross-posting my first post here in case Mario & other Canadians could chime in.

We have a mattress that was accepted for a warranty claim at the Bay in Canada. It was for a Beautyrest due to deep indentations. Reading several posts here and our personal experience we want to avoid another Beautyrest. Thus we were given a credit of $600 that could only be used towards a new set. Ideally we wanted to stay under $1500 for the King set. I would go elsewhere but have a budget and credit that is locked towards the set.

From my research, we wanted a firm tight top pocket coil mattress with minimal amounts of foam. Possibly add a latex topper (if we find it too firm): found some around $600-900 online. We are heavy (200 lbs. +) side/back sleepers and I sleep hot. After looking online and trying almost every mattress (except the online exclusive mattresses), I have narrowed it down to 3.

1. Sealy Posturepedic Plus Fairmont Deluxe Extra firm-$1450: Pros- comfortable, under budget so if topper needed could be purchased; Cons- foam encased, not sure of specifications aside from coil count of 1330
  2. Sealy Posturepedic Fairmont Luxury Firm-$1840: Pros- edge-to-edge coils + micro-coils for support = 1849; Cons- I felt as if I was about to roll off the bed, when lying on the edge. Associate mentioned that was due to the coils retracting and allowing relief of pressure off of joints. The feel was slightly softer (not sure if this is really a con) compared to the Fairmont Deluxe. Also not sure of specifications like coil gauge and thickness of layers of foam. Thus, the edge to edge on paper was nice, but in practice didn’t seem like it was what I was looking for.
  3. Stearn’s & Foster Montblanc Luxury Firm-$2399 Pros- most comfortable/probably won’t purchase a mattress topper, excellent edge support, edge-to-edge coils= 1954, apparently there is a layer of latex but who knows how thick, several people here stand by them; Cons- out of budget/2x the price of the Fairmont Deluxe (I don’t think it was 2x the mattress, I understand they are using premium materials/comfort layers, but that is not what I need).

Thus I am leaning towards the Fairmont Deluxe, even though I found the Montblanc to be the better mattress. My only issue is the longevity of the Fairmont Deluxe, especially because it is foam encased, foam comfort layers, foam support layers, QC issue, and unsure of Sealy’s Warranty. Even with the price of a topper it was less than the Montblanc. I never purchased/used a Latex topper so that would also be a gamble.

Anyway if anyone here has any thoughts on these mattresses that would be great! I am aiming to purchase this week as the credit will soon expire.

Hi Moos,

Regarding other brands, I can certainly provide guidance on “how” to choose, but offering specific suggestions or recommendations for mattresses, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials is not possible. The fundamental principle in mattress shopping is to always remember that individual experiences on a mattress are unique, with numerous unknowns, variables, and personal preferences. No formula exists, and it’s impossible for anyone to predict or prescribe a particular mattress or combination of materials that would be the optimal “match” for you in terms of “comfort,” firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences).

It sounds like you have already started doing some research; if you have not done so you may want to look at the - Mattress Shopping Tutorial as well as The Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to get an idea of what to look for in a new mattress and what different components and materials to review and how these hold up over time. If you have settled on a coil spring mattress then this should help you make the right decision.

I hope this helps you choose the right mattress and please do follow up with us on what you decided to go with!

All the best
Mario~

1 Like

Thanks Mario!

Yes I read the guides and tutorials. I understand most of the decision making will be down to personal preference. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with either model. I think now I have eliminated the Fairmont Luxury. By the way, I came across your store when looking for latex toppers. I was looking at the 3" medium firm, if I were to go with the extra firm mattress.

Hi Moos,

It’s my pleasure! Unfortunately, I do not have any personal experience with the models you selected, maybe someone else can join in if they have?

2 Likes

I ordered the S&F.

I was wondering which mattress topper to order from you. According to your website I was thinking the 3" Medium due to our weight and side sleepers. Not sure if medium will be too firm as the mattress is also firm.

Also we had tried the pillow top (I know generally not recommended due to the extra layers of foam) which was more comfortable when lying on the side. However, we didn’t order it as it was another 1.5" of foam on the top (more prone to failure).

1 Like

Or I could go for the 3" & 20ILD/soft.

I would wait until you get the new mattress and sleep on it a couple of weeks. Then you can evaluate and select the topper! Like I always say, it is not a race, it is about quality and comfort!
Norm

1 Like

Good morning moos,

You could do as batmannorm suggests and try it out first before deciding.

However you are correct in assuming that the 3" Organic dunlop latex topper with organic cotton sleeve in soft will be a great choice for your sleeping style and weight.

Did I answer all your questions?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!

Mario

2 Likes

Thanks, I will stick with my original plan!

1 Like

Thanks Mario!

Yes I am just hesitant with the return policy. I have never bought/used a topper or latex bedding products. Thus, not sure if soft will be sufficient or need the medium. I understand for hygiene purposes but still a little hesitant.

Hi moos,

We do not offer exchanges or refunds on toppers, we only offer exchanges on mattress latex layers to fine tune the comfort of the mattresses and make it right.

I understand your hesitancy regarding the topper. Over our two decades in business, we’ve seldom encountered dissatisfaction when customers use a soft topper to add a touch of comfort to a firm mattress. For lighter sleepers, we recommend the 2" soft topper (our most popular), while the 3" option is ideal for heavier sleepers. Our organic dunlop topper stands out as the most popular choice, primarily sought after for its ability to alleviate pressure points on the hips and shoulders. Opting for a medium or firm topper might result in too much resilience and pushback, negating the intended pressure relief that a soft topper brings to the mattress.

Another important point to consider is the ILD which is a standard metric in the bedding industry to quantify how much force is required to indent latex by a certain percentage of its original height. A higher ILD rating indicates a firmer feel, while a lower ILD rating indicates a softer feel. In the case of Dunlop, the soft is approximately 20, while soft Talalay latex is between 14 to 19 and soft memory foam 8 to 12. Soft Dunlop exhibits a distinct firmness compared to Talalay or soft memory foam. This is why soft Dunlop is the favorite choice as a top comfort layer, as anything firmer would undermine the goal of enhancing comfort on an already firm mattress.

I’ll leave you with a comment we just got a few days ago:

GLAD I TOOK THE LEAP!

Both my husband and I have a really hard time getting good quality sleep. We bought an Endy mattress almost a year ago, and while we are really happy with that purchase, it is just a wee bit too firm for us. After a ton of research on toppers, debating over ordering from the USA because they allow returns, I took a leap of faith and ordered from here in Canada even though returns are not offered. We received our 2" King sized topper about a week after ordering. There was very little off-gassing (which is a huge concern for us). The topper adds just the right amount of cushioning that we were hoping for, and we immediately began having an improved quality of sleep. I am incredibly impressed with this topper!

Our return policy

2 Likes

Thanks Mario for your knowledge and insight! It’s one of the main reasons I had MFC at the top of my list. The other reasons were due to the many positive reviews such as the one you outlined.

Does latex have a break in period? I was thinking of trying out the mattress without the topper for a couple of weeks before seeing if we need to add a topper. Also only have 2 months to try the mattress.

Hi moos,

Yes, the latex will break in and get softer in approximately 2 to 3 months. It’s a great idea to wait and try the new mattress before adding anything to it!

All the best

1 Like