Where can I find a real high-density memory foam mattress?

Hello bed masters!
After half a year of research, and a couple mattress trials, I think I need some guidance.
Before getting a king-sized mattress, my partner and I had slept many years on a queen tempurpedic (it’s now 12 years old). That tempurpedic is wonderful- I don’t know the stats on it, but the memory foam must be high-density. It is really firm, more so in the winter, but softens up as you lay on it. It feels very solid and heavy. I LOVE that it is slow-response. I know denser, slower memory foam supposedly sleeps hotter, but we still want to sleep on it!
The problem is, I cannot find anyone but tempur offering a mattress with high density memory foam as the top layer, with no weird quilting on top. Every brand seems to be campaigning against sleeping hot, and so they are offering lower-density, faster response foams.
I tried the Loom and Leaf and it was really uncomfortable because of the pillow top- you can’t feel the 5lb memory foam at all. We are currently on the Amerisleep AS4 and its very nice, but the 4lb gel foam is much softer than what I want. Looking up every brands’ densities online, only Novosbed has anything over 4lbs as the top layer.
My budget is $1600, which is why I am not able to get another Tempurpedic. I’d also like to buy USA-made, and have a good trial/return policy. Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to find that dreamy, dense, slow stuff without spending $3k!
Thanks SO MUCH for your time!

I’m not a memory foam manufacturer nor do I know all of the manufacturers of said product domestically, but you posted this in my area so I’ll try to give you some insight. Maybe some of the other actual manufacturing members can also help you with some advice.

First off, don’t confuse density with hardness - they’re not necessarily related. What you’re describing is a type of memory foam with a higher glass transition temperature (feels stiffer at room temperature) and one that is slower in response. Four lb or above is generally considered better quality for memory foam.

Have you inquired to Christeli? They do make some good quality memory foam mattresses with flippable cores to achieve different levels of comfort, but I wouldn’t know what models might be slower in response, if any. You’d have to phone them. Not everyone is gearing toward fast response and more breathable, but many are. And there are more options using over 4 lb for the top layer in memory foam than you mentioned. You just have to do more searching. But I personally don’t maintain such a list and off the top of my head I can’t recall many of the ones I’ve come across over the years. Memory Foam Comfort in Canada has some good options as well. These two companies I’m remembering just because they are site members here so on the top of my brain.

Hopefully that at least gives you a good start.

Thank you so much for your response! I read this site pretty often but I got a little confused finally posting a topic and picked the wrong spot! I apologize. Your explanation of the foam helps a lot, because I had never heard of the transition temp before. I will dive back in to my research!
Thanks again :slight_smile:

No worries! Hopefully some of the other site members can contribute with some better memory foam company advice.

There are many brands of mattresses that are available in the market that will do the desired job and thus contribute to your overall sleep comfort and well being each day. The one that comes to mind is the Snuggle Pedic Mattress that breaths. It is built with a design technology that puts the consumer at heart. The design focus of the memory foam mattress has the following:

1. The Snuggle-Pedic memory foam that breathes is built to support your bed category with 6 different sizes of Queen, King, Twin, Twin XL,Full and Califonia King.
  2. It is made 100 times more breathable than other mattresses. The technology combines the ventilation holes and channels. Other mattress brands use either of the ventilation holes or channels.
  3. It is built with two layers for perfect balance and universal support. The upper layer is pressure relieving while the lower layer is firmer for extra support.
  4. The mattress foam keeps you cool all night long. The cover is made with bamboo for cool flow coupled with a patented airflow system for greater air circulation for reducing body heat.
  5. It is 100% made in the USA and certified safe for use.

Hi SkyTell,

Not a worry if you found a mattress that fits your needs already, but thought I might as well mention why the Novosbed ought to be considered. Many point out our mattress being one of the closest to that of a true Tempurpedic. Our traditional, high-density memory foam is something that really makes us stand out.

Here’s how the 3 layers that make up our mattress break down:

1st layer: 5 lbs/ft3
2nd layer: 5 lbs/ft3
3rd layer: 1.8 lbs/ft3

This, combined with our Comfort+ kit, 120 night in-home trial, and 15-year warranty may pique your curiosity.

Happy mattress hunting!

Sam

Hello!
I have considered the Novosbed for sure. Is the cover very thick? When I got the loom&leaf I was excited for the 5lb foam, but I couldnt really feel it through the thick cover.
Thanks for the info!

Hi again SkyTell,

The cover on the Novosbed mattress is very thin. We use an eco-friendly Tencel® fabric. This fabric pulls moisture away from your body and it’s also removable and machine-washable.

If you have any further questions I’m always here to help,

Sam
Novosbed.com