Would using a topper help in selecting a mattress?

In my ongoing research of trying to get the best mattress for my needs, I read about using a topper in this post.
It seems that it may help since I am really undecided as to what type of mattress to get. Be it firm or plush, soft, medium or hard.

First a bit of background, I’m 5"4" 185 lbs, (lol sounds like a dating service), better half is 5’ 5" 275 lbs.
I first had a Serta Spinal Comfort Firm back in (cough) late 2004 until early 2013 from Dial-a-Mattress. Then switched to a Simmons BeautyRest Classic Tomahawk Plush Euro Top from US-Mattress in 2013 until now.
Partner has hip surgery and sleeps on the side always. I tend to switch from side or back.
The BeautyRest has a comfort level of 6 out of 10 and has been fine except that my side has developed ironically a somewhat 4-5" depression. This leads me to sleep more towards the middle now. To me it seems firm yet soft enough. I honestly don’t remember how well the previous one (Serta Spinal Comfort) felt, but I guess i was okay with it since I kept it for so long.

So in search of a new mattress begins and which leads me to this great site with so much info. Kudos to the members and admin alike.
Now as mentioned in my first post of the forum, I had about 15 mattresses that I compared down to 4.
Even with the 4 (Leesa, Kiss mattress, Tuft & Needle and Brooklyn Bedding), I am yet to determine which comfort level to get. I am afraid that if I get a medium, that there is no way to make it a firm. Granted, I can always order one and if I don’t like it i can return it to get another one, but rather not go that return route. But one can make a firm more softer by going the route of adding a topper. Or so I think. Therefore I ask any members, if they have used a topper/cushion on top of a firm comfort type mattress to make it a bit softer?
Does it make a difference?

btw, off topic, I thought car shopping was hard, but mattress shopping is quite stressful.

TS

Hi twospirits,

Although this can be a good strategy if you can test the mattress/topper combination in person before a purchase … you can see my comments about choosing a mattress first with the intention of adding a topper later in post #2 here. In most cases I would avoid this approach because of the uncertainty involved with two purchase choices instead of only one and choosing a topper that would be suitable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) for a specific person on a specific mattress can sometimes be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress that doesn’t need a topper in the first place. I would generally focus on choosing a mattress that is likely to be a suitable match without a topper (again unless you can test the combination in person or you are purchasing both online as a set and they both have a good return/exchange policy) and then use the option to add a topper as a “backup” strategy in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for rather than a “primary” strategy.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Hopefully you’ve already read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

All the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay and I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

A topper would certainly make a difference but the only way to know whether any difference was beneficial or detrimental or whether the mattress/topper combination would be a good “match” for you would be based on your own personal experience (which may be very different from someone else).

There is also more about all of the mattresses you mentioned in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and any firmness level options they have to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

All of the options you are considering have a great return/refund policy so you can test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom without any risk (outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it should that become necessary). If you purchase one and it doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for then you could decide at that point whether to add a topper or return the mattress for a refund and start again.

Phoenix

Yeah, I agree, it would make sense to just get the right mattress and not have a need for the topper. It was a thought that popped into my head and was curious if anyone had gone that route.

I had read all the posted links and tutorial links you mentioned except the “I bought the wrong mattress” one, the “personal value equation” one and the ones mentioned in the Sealy/Simmons/Serta paragraph. (I’ll read them next).
TS