Wow, what an educational experience this is.

My wife and I finally agreed on purchasing a new mattress and had originally thought about spending some time at a few hotels where we had previously experienced a comfortable nights’ sleep. In looking at sites and pricing for Hampton Inns bedding, I found your site. Boy did this just blow all of the previous plans right out of the water.

I have found more good information in the last 20 hours, then in all of the previous years of looking at bedding. Retired now but in a previous life, I spend many years working for one of the “S” companies in their textile research department and had quite a bit of access to the mattress division. Though many years (40) ago I still remembered much of what I had learned at the time was in a good mattress, just threw all of that information out the window.

Looking forward to a continuing adventure as I find what REALLY is inside a good sleeping system, both from you and the many contributors on this site. Have already been seriously looking at Dreamfoam Bedding, which I understand may be Brooklyn Bedding’s direct sales division.

Once again thank you for pulling the covers off what makes a really good sleep system.

John

Hi jlkeene,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and thanks for the kind comments … I appreciate them :slight_smile:

While much of the information you learned then would still be relevant now … the industry itself has changed a great deal and unfortunately there has been a significant reduction in the quality and durability of mainstream mattresses in the last 15 years or so (see post #3 here and post #404 here for example).

Dreamfoam Bedding and Brooklyn Bedding are “sister” companies that both sell directly to consumers. They sell different lines of mattresses but Dreamfoam is more in the lower to mid budget range and Brooklyn Bedding is more in the mid to higher budget range although there is also some overlap between them (see post #4 here and post #3 here). Both are members of the site.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you have along the way.

Phoenix

Phoenix

I know much of what I knew had changed but at least I had a little understanding of construction and materials, even though that has changed. In looking further at the Brooklyn bedding site, I did see that the materials used in their bedding were of a higher standard.

So much to understand from a consumer standpoint. I know you mentioned in one thread to read the information as you would a good book as opposed to studying everything and I think this is a valid point. Just going to be be spending more time reading/learning and likely asking questions in the future. Thanks again for this site.

John