Alternatives to Tempur-Pedic Flex Supreme?

Hi bmorgan,

The company doesn’t really have a history yet so I don’t have any thoughts about them from that perspective although they do have some prior history with Purasleep. Lori was open and transparent when I talked with her though and there was no “evasiveness” in the conversation (unlike many that I’ve had). She was happy to answer my questions about their mattress, their hopes for their company, and her thoughts about the industry in general, so to me that’s always an encouraging sign. Her husband also has some background in the industry prior to Purasleep. The conversation was a good one but of course time is always the biggest test about the longer term success of any company.

Warranties don’t mean a lot to me and they certainly aren’t a reliable indication of the durability or the useful life of a mattress or how long it may be until you will need to replace it. In terms of durability … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. A warranty only covers defects in the mattress (which tend to happen early in the life of a mattress) and they don’t cover the loss of comfort and support which is the reason that most people will need to replace a mattress (see post #174 here).

They are one of many new “simplified choice” mattresses that have recently launched or will be launching and it will be interesting how this whole category develops over the course of the next year or two in what is becoming a very crowded field although there are already some leaders emerging both in terms of growth and marketing and in terms of the quality/value of the mattresses.

Phoenix

A general note about warranties, since we’re on the topic:

Warranty is one of the most oversold items regarding mattresses in North America, and one of the least important items to consider when making a mattress purchase - IMHO.

If you look around the rest of the world, there are many products superior to what we find here domestically, yet their warranties tend to be shorter, more in the range of 1-5 years. Marketers know that consumers here equate (incorrectly) a longer warranty with a higher-quality product, so they place unrealistic warranties on very basic products.

Recently, Tempur-Sealy took a step in the right direction and reduced their warranties to 10 years on many of their items. Very few leaders in our industry here at home have been brave enough to speak about “over-warrantying” of mattresses. Gerry Borreggine, the CEO of Therapedic, is one of the few who has.

Warranties cover defects in workmanship, not the change and loss of comfort. As Phoenix mentioned, most warranty issues are early in the life of a mattress. And you really should reevaluate your mattress after a decade, no matter how good it is, so extra-long warranties really don’t hold much value.

In the end, focus on product quality. If you have the choice to pick an item made well using high-quality componentry with a shorter warranty, versus one using less durable componentry with a longer warranty. I’ll always advise to go with the item using the better componentry. A piece of paper won’t make your mattress last longer or feel better.

Hey everyone,

4Sleep has updated their “Our Story” page with more details and photos.

Hi DavidCaron,

I removed your link because promotional posts or advertising aren’t allowed on the forum (see the forum rules here).

I would also appreciate it if you could disclose any affiliation or relationship you or your company have with 4Sleep.

Phoenix

If you’d visited the link, you’d see David Caron is the Chief Marketing Officer =). Also, looks like a $75 off sale going on right now at 4Sleep. We might be taking advantage of that.

Hi bmorgan,

Yes I realize that but any affiliation needs to be disclosed on the forum … not on a website that was linked in a post (I removed the link).

I also don’t normally don’t allow a business to post about themselves on the forum unless it’s in direct response to a question by a forum member but since there were some questions earlier in the topic about 4Sleep’s background I decided to only remove the link and not the post itself.

Phoenix

Phoenix and bmorgan,

Thanks for leaving the post up there. I wanted to let everyone one know that we are making strides at getting the requested information (and more) out there.

Sincerely,

David Caron

Hi David,

No problem … I just need to make sure that the forum doesn’t get used for “advertising” or SEO purposes but your about us page is very informative.

I also like your video about putting the mattress back into the box which is very funny (although it seems to follow me everywhere whenever I watch a video).

Phoenix

Following up 2 1/2 years later.

I loved the 4Sleep for the first year or two and was telling everyone about them. But the past several months, I’ve started waking up after 6-7 hours of sleep with a sore back (I sleep on my back). I’m not sure what has changed, but I’m convinced it’s time to reboot the mattress research process and buy a new mattress. Was hoping the 4Sleep would last us a long time :(.

Hey bmorgan,

Well, if you do move into the research phase, it’s important to read some of the TMU articles like these:

How to look for and find best mattress and Mattress shopping tutorial and also 5 Steps to your perfect mattress.

Sorry again about the back pain, please keep in mind, there is no such thing as a mattress that is “good for back pain” in general terms (just like there is no such thing as one mattress that is suitable for everyone) … there is only a mattress that is good for “YOUR” back pain and this would be a mattress that keeps your spine in good alignment in all your sleeping positions over the course of the night and would be different for different people.

If you have the time, check out our trusted members, there is clearly both quality and value and they are transparent with the type and quality of the materials. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Good Luck!

Sensei