Back and neck pain persisting with new latex mattress

Hi, I bought a flobeds v-zone medium latex mattress several months ago (firm, medium, zone, egg crate on top). I experienced pain in my lower back and neck/shoulders. They had me switch a couple of the zone layers so it would be more supportive under my back. This helped relieve the back pain on occasion, but the neck/shoulder pain persisted. I thought it might still be too soft overall so I ordered an Xfirm layer to put at the very bottom and moved the firm up to replace the medium layer. This made things worse because all the pain has increased and my limbs are going numb. I actually have trouble falling asleep now because I can’t get comfortable.

I am looking for advice on what I should do to rectify this? I’d like to make this work since it was a lot of money, but I deal with chronic pain that is complicating things. I once slept on my relative’s older Tempurpedic Cloud mattress and it was the best sleep I’ve had in decades. I didn’t buy something similar because their mattresses are almost double the price and I was afraid it would be too warm in the long run. Is there a way that I could switch out a layer or too to help replicate the feel of the Tempurpedic? I realize it’s memory foam vs latex so there’s that issue. For reference, I’m 5’8”, 140 lbs and sleep on my back and side. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Maiyen,

I will allow @FloBeds address the questions regarding their zoned latex.

What I would say is that many times, more than most realize, issues the begin at the neck and shoulders (and mirgrate to the middle and lower back) is a result of a mis-matched pillow to the mattress and sleepers profile & sleep position.

Often a new mattress will result in a different firmness, bounce and body position than a previous mattress. This will most often cause the body positions to align differently.

A firm mattress, where the sleeper’s body rests “on top of the mattress” will require a more lofty pillow, more so for a side sleeper, as the body is farther away from the mattress. Since most sleeper’s head will sink to some degree in any pillow they choose, it is important to look at the distance from the mattress surface to the head/ear of the sleeper, and then over compensate (add loft) for the amount of sinking expected to then keep the body in alignment.

A softer mattress, softer comfort layer, and heavier sleeper who sinks deeper in the mattress, will require a less lofty pillow to avoid their head from angling up, causing a strain on the neck and shoulder muscles, leading to pain traveling to the mid and lower back.

You may want to have a partner view this when you are in your sleeping position, with no covers to validate any obvious and potentially subtle misalignment due to, pillow, head and neck alignment.

The pillow is a 55/45 in your sleeping environment. I actually give even more value to the pillow, but that is just me.

My TMU Pillow Topic I may not always be correct about this “pillow theory thing of mine” but it is worth exploring in more depth. As I just may be correct and you don’t even realize it.

Here is some import information I have placed in a outline format that takes each area consideration in to play.

Maintaining proper alignment of your neck and head while sleeping is crucial for preventing discomfort and promoting overall spinal health. Pillows play a significant role in achieving this alignment. Here are some tips to ensure proper neck and head alignment with pillows:

Choose the Right Pillow:
The ideal pillow should provide support to the natural curve of your neck and keep your spine in a neutral position.
Consider your sleeping position when choosing a pillow. Back sleepers generally benefit from medium-firm pillows, while side sleepers may need a firmer pillow to fill the space between the shoulder and head. Stomach sleepers might opt for a softer, flatter pillow.

Maintain Neutral Spine Alignment:
When lying on your back, your head and neck should be in line with your spine. The pillow should support the natural curve of your neck without lifting your head too high.
If you sleep on your side, your head and neck should be level with your spine. A thicker pillow is usually needed to fill the space between your shoulder and head.

Consider Pillow Thickness:
The thickness (or loft) of the pillow is crucial. It depends on personal preference, body size, and sleeping position.
Too thick of a pillow can cause your head to be pushed upward, straining the neck. On the other hand, a pillow that is too thin may not provide adequate support.

Check Pillow Material:
Pillows come in various materials, including memory foam, latex, feathers, and down. Choose a material that provides comfort and support based on your preferences and any specific health considerations.

Replace Old Pillows:
Pillows lose their supportive properties over time. Replace your pillows regularly to ensure you are getting the support needed for proper neck and head alignment.

Additional Support:
If you need extra support, consider using a cervical pillow designed specifically to support the natural curve of the spine and neck.

Experiment with Pillow Arrangement:
Depending on your sleep preferences and any existing neck or back issues, you may find that using more than one pillow or adjusting their placement helps achieve the desired alignment.

I would like to hear your thoughts. My last tip was crucial in my case. I was arranging, re-arranging, fluffing, stuffing, huffing and puffing to finally get a good combination, when we got our new super firm mattress just over a year ago. It matters!

Maverick

Hi Maverick,

Thanks for responding. You’re right, pillows do make a difference. I noticed with the softer mattress, I was more comfortable with a lower pillow that had more give. With the firm mattress, I switched to a thicker pillow as the other one made my neck angle downward uncomfortably. I have a nice pillow selection to choose from so I’m not lacking there lol. Unfortunately, altering that piece isn’t doing enough to relieve the pain.

1 Like

Hi Maiyen,

One of the greatest things about our design, is nothing is set in stone, and we can adjust the overall firmness level, and or micro tune the vZone layer from head to toe, pin pointing pressure point relief where you need it, or support where you need it. At 140lbs, i think the Medium over the Firm are the correct core layers, and the zoning we started with works most of the time. But, everyone is built differently, and has different things going on with their bodies, i have found that sometimes certain sleepers bodies just dont agree with the zoning. Your whole life, you’ve slept on surfaces that are consistent from head to toe in density, so having it softer in one region, firmer in the next may not work. We can replace that vZone layer with a Soft (22ild) core layer, or even our Plush (18ild). . . Feel free to reach out to us direct, we can trouble shoot this with you, and get you the sleep you deserve!

Thank you,

Dewey

1 Like

Hi Dewey,

I ended up switching the zone pieces back to how the layer was when I originally received it, but left the firm layers on the bottom. My back felt better when I woke up this morning, however I’ll give my body more time to adjust over the next week or two. Good to know about the soft and plush layer options. Will keep that option in mind.

I’ll contact you all directly if my current setup needs another adjustment. Thanks for the great customer service!

1 Like