Brooklyn Bedding has changed materials

Hi GJL3,

Thanks for the new update on the custom item that Mario had created for you at Brooklyn Bedding. I’m happy that your initial reports are favorable :slight_smile: , and I’ll look forward to your future updates.

You are correct that sleeping “in” a mattress a bit more can create a slightly warmer sleeping environment, and you may eventually need to address some of your top-of-bed products to assist with this.

Thanks for taking the time to post back!

Phoenix

Most companies will not provide return or exchange privileges on custom made items, so it’s very impressive that BB is doing so. They must be pretty confident in their product, glad to hear that it seems to be working out for you!

Replacement mattress is way more comfortable and has far less edge support. Sitting on the edge of the mattress smushes it like sitting on a PB&J sandwich, creates an incline that makes you feel like you’re sliding right off the bed.

Not sure how I feel about this anymore. The previous mattress just seemed to have a sturdier construction overall and seemed like it would last longer but felt bad, this feels comfortable but also feels flimsy. Damn near folds in half when I lift it to tuck the sheets under it. Also don’t get why my “customized mattress specifically made for [me]” has a manufactured date that’s a full 7 days before I even emailed customer support, but this is why I was skeptical from the onset.

I know it sounds contradictory and wishy-washy; “give me a soft mattress, give me a sturdy mattress”. Can I not get the best of both worlds? Can it not have a soft core and a strong perimeter? I don’t even know what to think anymore and in many ways I’m just tired of thinking about it and just want to move on in life. I honestly think I’ll live with it until all of my other home furnishings are secured and then search for something I legitimately am happy with and not just something I find tolerable. I’ll probably never try to buy a mattress on the internet again though.

Hi sleepyhead123,

I’m glad your replacement mattress is more comfortable than your old one. You never did list the specifications of this new item (I believe they were supposed to be provided to you), so I can’t comment upon the style of edge system that you have. I believe you were going to be receiving an innerspring support core, and some of the newer cores do use firmer springs along the edge to help minimize product roll-off (the primary focus of an edge reinforcement system) but they do not feel as firm when sitting on the edge of the bed (which is not their primary function).

Again, without knowing the configuration of your new mattress I can’t comment upon this, but if it is using an innerspring unit, many of the newer pocketed spring units are meant to be used with power foundations, so they flex a bit easier than previous versions, some polyfoam cores, or innerspring units with an edge reinforcement system.

As you mentioned before, this cynicism you have has more to do with your own “life experiences”, and not the actions of this manufacturer. Here you have a company going above and beyond to help find a product that suits your needs, and if the information you provided them matched a product that they already produce in one of their other lines, the date of manufacture would have no bearing upon their judgement of applicability to the needs you expressed to them.

If a firmer edge reinforcement system is a priority in your personal value equation, then you’ll certainly want to put that near the top of your list when shopping for your next mattress. But while having a foam encasement tub around an innerspring can make the mattress feel a bit less “flimsy”, it isn’t necessarily an indicator of the strength of the innerspring unit or the support offered, so you’ll always want to evaluate the support unit in person to make sure that it does indeed provide the level of deep support and alignment you desire, along with the edge support you consider adequate.

Some people do prefer to stay local with their mattress purchases, as one of the advantages of trying mattresses locally is that you can try many different types and styles and combinations of materials and components and firmness levels and compare them to each other in “real time” based on your actual experience rather than just “theory” instead of trying one online mattress at a time and not knowing how it compares to the other mattresses that you could have tried or purchased instead.

Hopefully the current mattress you have will be good enough to tide you over until you do eventually look for something in person from a local retailer.

Phoenix

Out of curiosity, does your replacement mattress look like this? It sounds similar, based on your description, since Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam (BB’s sister company) do not sell pocket coil mattresses directly on their websites. Amazon.com

Did they happen to send you specs of your custom mattress before they sent it to you?

I currently have a Dreamfoam mattress that I am looking to return soon (once it gets to 30 days since I received it), so I find it interesting that it seems difficult to just get an outright return/refund.

Hi Francis,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While I’m not sleepyhead123, I can help address a few of your questions. :wink:

Sleepyhead123 hasn’t posted back yet with the specifications on the replacement mattress, but you are correct that Brooklyn Bedding and their sister companies have multiple channels through which they offer their products, and the current offerings on their dedicated websites (Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam) do feature foam support cores.

I don’t know why you’ve come to the conclusion that it is “difficult” to get an outright return/refund, as this was an accommodation (not a denial/avoidance of a return) to attempt to find a more plush comfort. Initially a topper was sent out, and then a different type of mattress was sent in addition to that in order to find a solution. It was previously mentioned by sleepyhead123 as a preference to avoid a return/refund/donation process. It was even mentioned:
"The fact that they’re making the return/replacement process stress-free goes a long way for me in term of customer satisfaction. I thought it was gonna suck, I’m so glad it’s going to be easy.

There have been comments through the years here on the thread where people have received refunds from Brooklyn Bedding when they unfortunately haven’t found a comfort that worked for them, so if that is your desire I don’t think you’ll have an issue at all if you’re within their 30-120 night timeframe.

Phoenix

Thanks for the welcome, Phoenix. :slight_smile:

And thank you for the input.

I guess I just took it as if I am trying to request a refund, but there is insistence of basically anything but (a topper, a potentially unknown mattress replacement, etc.), it is difficult. I tend to get conflict averse and don’t like dealing with these sorts of things, so I see it differently. Anyway, I am probably just psyching myself out for a later time when I’ll be contacting their support. Thanks again for the response.

Hi Francis,

I wouldn’t worry much about it. When requesting a refund for a mattress where there is a return/refund policy, it will be normal for them to ask if you’d like to try an exchange or different comfort (as some people aren’t aware of that option), but if that’s something you don’t wish to pursue, simply inform them you’re looking to initiate a return/refund process and you should be fine.

Phoenix

I wanted to share my experience with Brooklyn Bedding on here. I am a current owner of a Soft Queen Titan Flex Foam Best Mattress Ever and a previous owner of the older latex version.

I first bought my mattress from BB back in February. After extensive research, I was between BB, purple, and Leesa. The price point of BB got me and I figured I would save $200 for a similar mattress.

The first model that I got was the full latex. It was good until it got super hot in LA around May. When the latex mattress got hot - it seems to retain heat for a very long time. It wouldn’t cool down easily. Then I saw on Facebook that Brooklyn Bedding had released a newer, cooler version of the mattress. I was kinda upset that within months they had released a new version with cooling technology and handles (it was heavy!).

I called BB and they were able to exchange my latex mattress for the new hybrid cooling foam. I like the hybrid cooling foam more than the latex. It still gets hot when I get hot, but then if i go to the restroom or get a glass of water, by the the time i come back in two minutes it has cooled off. The heat retention is much better. The overall feel of the mattress is similar except for that one thing. The top is the exact same. I can’t tell much of a difference in feel except for the heat retention.

I think the new look is alright (blue ribbon), but maybe you liked the old design better. The handles are a definite applicable, handy feature.

I’m just some normal dude living in Pasadena. I’m not in the mattress industry nor am i a connoisseur of mattresses. My old mattress before this was an ikea of some sort and then i slept on a pullout couch for a year, so this upgrade was like a dream. That being said, I can’t say this is better than purple/leesa/etc because I simply don’t know. What I do know is I like my BME titan flex foam a lot. The sheets from the company were very nice - silky. The free shredded foam pillows were good, but I had some issues with it (only gave the pillows 4 out of 5). Overall it was an easy exchange and now I’m very happy I called and made the exchange.

Solid company, solid price, solid bed. I’m happy.

Thanks Brooklyn Bedding!

Pastramiking - Thanks for sharing your impressions of the BME and your dealings with BB. While your subjective feeling of the mattress will likely be different for others, the positive experience you had dealing with them is a valuable point of reference for other forum members. I’m glad to hear that you’re pleased and sleeping well with your BME!

Hi Pastramiking,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Just for clarity, the previous version of the BME used latex in the upper 4" – not in the full mattress. It still used a polyfoam core like the current model.

The new version of the BME replaced the 4" of latex with 4" of a new 4 lb very high density polyfoam (TitanFlex) that has quite a bit of resilience, but does offer extra breathability (even though latex is still quite breathable as well).

I’m glad that you are enjoying you “replacement” mattress better than your former one.

I’m glad that you’re having a positive experience so far with the new BME, and I hope you’ll be able to take some time and report back after you’ve slept on your “newer” BME for a while longer.

Phoenix

Hi all,
I wanted to also take the time to provide my review of the newer #BME. I have mentioned this on here before, but I am 6’2, approximately 215lbs athletic build. My previous mattress was a Queen Pranasleep Vinyasa Plush, probably something more in the softer area as far as latex mattresses go. I have owned the mattress for over 10 years, and wanted something latex or similar but as a King. After doing research between different forums and actually calling and talking with different companies I decided on the Leesa, Loom and Leaf, Zenhaven, and Brooklyn Bedding. Zenhaven wound up being a little out of my budget, and I found Brooklyn Bedding to be in my opinion the best value so I pulled the trigger in Mid-June on the Medium.

After sleeping on it now for approximately 90 days, I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoy it but there are very important points that I have learned such as the following:

• The reports of the mattress not really giving much at first are correct. It was honestly a concern of mine as I am mostly a side sleeper with some stomach. This really gave me a new respect for the trial period offered by the company. By the 60th day it really begins to feel more broken into, and is now perfect for me. With my previous mattress I used to wake up at night as I was always tossing and turning to find a comfortable position…no more of that.

• It is about half the weight of my previous latex mattress, which is definitely appreciated with my moving soon

Now I gave my weight and height earlier for others who are similar in dimensions and looking for some help making the choice. I also think that helped in the conditioning of the mattress, as if I was lighter it might have still been a little firmer still…but I am speculating of course. It is also much cooler to sleep on at night, but does not offer any edge support at all. If that is important to you, I would recommend looking else where. It did not matter to me.

I agree with the previous poster that their sheets are very high quality, but the pillows are a bit large and cause my neck to bend uncomfortably when sleeping . I have realized with a mattress how important your pillow plays in your overall comfort. I had been using a flatter therapeutic memory foam pillow that I love, and might give Brooklyn Bedding’s best pillow ever a try.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase, and no I do not work for them.

Hi jaylooking4sleep,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a detailed description of your new mattress and your initial results.

I especially appreciate you taking the time to point out the importance of the break-in period of a mattress, as well as the importance of proper pillow thickness with a new mattress - thank you!

Most of all, I’m glad that you are happy with your BME, and I am looking forward to future updates after you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while longer.

Phoenix

Hi All,

I would tend to agree with most of “jay’s” comments even though my experience with the BME has been a little bit different. I have a similar build- about 6’ (some people seem to think I’m taller) and 215 lbs. (side sleeper)- BB thought I should go with the soft. My guess is that they knew the updated version of the mattress had a “stiffer” overall feel with the firmer base layer and transition to polyfoam in the comfort layers. Unfortunately, I compress the top and transition layers quite a bit and press them into the very stiff base layer, leading to alignment and pressure point issues at the same time. It’s not always terrible and I’ve had some decent sleeps on it but the medium likely would have been more suitable. That said, I may come back to the BB medium but decided to try something else first (replacement isn’t finalized yet).

The updated version of the mattress does have somewhat of a “stiff” feel to it, even though the titanflex foam itself is quite resilient… a lot of this comes from the base layer. I think the medium would fix my alignment issue while still being soft enough, although ideally I’d like something with a bit more of a “bouncy”, deep-down resilient feel. Regardless, I think it’s a great value and very well made, and I do appreciate the lighter weight (vs. all-latex) and handles. However, people shouldn’t be fooled into thinking it’s “light”… the mattress is still quite substantial.

One thing I really think people need to let go of is this obsession with “edge support”. I sleep near the edge of the mattress and even the soft is more than adequate. So for anyone considering the BME, please don’t let any negative comments about edge support deter you. Edge support could certainly be an issue with a mattress utilizing lower-quality foams or inferior construction methods, but I think the dozens of “review” sites and marketing by larger companies (like the “S” brands) have people completely carried away.

That’s my 2 cents for now :slight_smile:

One other thing I’ll add, since the “Zenhaven” mattress was mentioned, is that the Zenhaven only weighs about 25 lbs. more than the BME (and also has handles)… not too bad for an all-latex (and all-natural latex since the foam is relatively more dense vs. blended) mattress, for those who may be willing to pay the considerably higher price. It’s flippable and dual-firmness as well, which could be a nice advantage.

Hi Manimal,

Thanks for your input and commentary. And also for pointing out the differences in perception of edge reinforcement. The polyfoam base used in the BME is quite substantial and equal to many of the foam edge encasements used around some innerspring units, so when sleeping upon the edge it offers a good prevention of roll-out. However, based upon the softness configuration chosen, when sitting on the edge of the mattress, it can feel softer (using more as a chair), and you’ll tend to “feel through” more to the polyfoam core and have more “sink-in”. Everyone is different in their desire for how they expect their edge system to feel, and mattress companies are always walking a fine line of making the edge harder for a seating surface (which results in an uphill edge system uncomfortable for sleeping), or a system that is too unobtrusive (which can result in too much roll-off).

Phoenix

Yes. I am still in my eval period with the BME and am reasonably happy with it, but I didn’t like the pillows at all. “A bit large” is an understatement, they’re huge! Total circumference is about 36", length is about 30". They’re about 8 or 9 inches high, compressing down to I’m guessing maybe about 6" or so when you lay your head in. It just felt too high no matter what I did with them, even trying to use one as a “body pillow.” And there’s a lot of heft to them, they weigh about 6.5 lbs. Even trying to move them around is a struggle. Luckily, they were free. :wink:

I agree. Initially I was a little disappointed in the edge support, coming from a traditional spring mattress. But really, it was only an issue to the extent that it doesn’t have the firmness you might be used to if you were sitting on the edge to put on your socks. But that’s not really what the bed is for. You can sit on something else for that (not that it’s impossible to do so on the BME). For horizontal use, the edge support is fine.

Hi anotherscott,

Thanks for taking the time to post that feedback!

Phoenix

Hey everyone!

First post on TMU, but figured I would toss in my two cents for anyone like me who is considering the BME. As some background, I am:[ul]
[li]150 lbs, 5’8"[/li]
[li]Almost exclusively a side sleeper[/li]
[li]Someone who generally prefers a slightly softer mattress than average[/li]
[/ul]
I spoke with the fine folks at Brooklyn Bedding a couple of times to try and feel out which mattress would be better for me between the medium and the soft. I received more recommendations by them to go for the medium, so I went with that!

After sleeping on the medium BME for a month, and after walking on it to eliminate the “false firmness,” I still found it more than a touch too firm for my tastes. I have somewhat broad shoulders and constantly felt just a bit cramped when sleeping entirely on my side. I began to adopt an in-between position of half-back, half-side which worked well enough, but my sleep wasn’t as good as it could have been.

As has been well-documented here, the exchange process was easy-peasy. BB offered a memory foam topper to soften the mattress, but I’ve never been a huge fan of memory foam due to its tendency to sleep hot. I thanked them for the offer, but expressed that I wanted to exchange the mattress for a soft instead. Much to my surprise, they didn’t ask me to send the mattress back. Instead, they just required that I donate it to a local charity and show them proof of donation to complete the exchange. They shipped the soft BME to me at no charge, and the transaction was over!

My thoughts on the soft after laying on it a bit (it only came in today, so it may be a bit before I have a robust feel for the new firmness):[ul]
[li]While the stated ILDs are 13 and 18 for the 2" comfort layers, the mattress is nowhere near as plush as those numbers would imply. I’m not sure if ILD measurements vary from latex to polyfoam, or if BB uses a different thickness in their standard calculations, but I would rate the mattress no softer than a 5.5/10.[/li]
[li]The support, at least for my size and BMI, appears to be more than adequate. I was concerned that I would end up sleeping on a marshmallow when I found the medium only mildly too firm for me, but there isn’t a massive gulf between the two firmnesses.[/li]
[/ul]
Again, these are only one person’s opinions and I haven’t slept a full night on the soft BME yet. However, I hope this gives some clarity to anyone in a similar situation. Thanks everyone, especially Phoenix, for all of the information on here. All the best,

Paul

I’d am really interested in your thoughts on a full night sleep with the soft BME. I am about to pull the trigger on the same mattress for my wife and I. Thanks!