building a latex bed

hello,

been watching this forum for a while and it is awesome . my question is this :

i am 6ft. 240 lbs. i am trying to build this latex bed . the topper is latex foam manufactured via dunlop process . it is 100 % high quality latex . it is a 3inch topper with ild 18 = soft . it will be going on a twin xl for 160.00 . the seller is hahtauctions on ebay . i seen in another post that they are " sleeponlatex.com " .
i want to put this on top of : 6inch dunlop latex mattress foam by latexco . what would be a good choice of firmness on guessing ,
26 -30 cushion firm , 31 - 35 firm , 36 - 40 extra firm .

also , would i need another in between these two or will this make a good complete soft - medium bed . or should i go with memory foam on top of this base .

thank you

Hi domo,

Befiore you take on the challenge of designing and building your own mattress and ordering the latex layers and cover separately without the guidance or exchange options of a retailer or manufacturer that sells all the components together I would read post #15 here.

While there are too many unknowns and variables for me to provide any meaningful design advice based on “theory at a distance” without specific reference points of mattresses you have tested and more detailed phone conversations (which isn’t something I would have the time for)… mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here includes some links to some of the theory and concepts that may be helpful.

If you are building your own then your best odds would be to approximate one of the successful designs used by a manufacturer or retailer that you have either tested locally for its suitabiity for your needs and preferences in terms of PPP or that was suggested by an online manufacturer or retailer for your body type and sleeping style and then come as close as you can to finding the exact same layers using the same type of latex in the same layer thicknesses and a very similar cover. You can read more about “matching” one mattress to another in post #9 here.

I would also be aware that Dunlop latex has a wider range of ILD variance across the surface and from layer to layer than Talalay and also that ILD’s are not directly comparable between different types of latex (see post #6 here). With Dunlop … comparisons with other Dunlop layers may be more accurate in terms of density than ILD (as long as the natural synthetic blend is the same).

I would also make sure that you are comfortable with the idea that if you make a choice of layers that are “less than ideal” and you don’t have a good return or exchange policy for the layers you purchased that the complete DIY project may turn out to be more costly than buying from a retailer of manufacturer that has component mattresses that has a good low cost layer exchange or refund policy.

It can be challenging and fun but also frustrating and sometimes costly and the “best” approach would be if what you learn along the way and the challenge and satisfaction of designing and building your own mattress is at least as important as saving money.

Phoenix

thank you for responding ,

i have only talked to the people in mattress firm store . i liked the weightless supreme tempurpedic mattress ( 2700.00 ea. side ) . i now this will be trial and error . we have a split dual king bed ,so i am only trying one side of the bed .
i will check and see who sells different types of latex here in kansas city , mo . will check back in tomorrow .

thank you

Hi domo,

You may have seen this but just in case you haven’t … some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Kansas City area are listed in post #2 here. Some of these sell latex mattresses so you can see the significant differences between memory foam (like Tempurpedic) and latex.

Just in case you haven’t read this as well … post #1 here includes links to much of the basic information that you may find helpful

Phoenix

hello phoenix ,

i started on my quest today . i know this will be trial and error . i ordered a 3 inch topper that was puralux . i got in med = 24 . i know this is softer than dunlop and i did not want it to be too soft . this will be my starting point . should i have started with a soft = 19 ? i still have time to change .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190794525594?var=490131365256&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

will i need another soft layer before i go to a base . i was thinking about a dunlop base :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261198801332?var=560192270315&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

if i went with this base or something like this , what number of ild , should i start with for firmness .
i am a back sleeper . i like a soft bed , but my back kills me when i wake up and my shoulders . i am sleeping on the floor right now versus sleeping in this current bed below :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400536800544?var=670120240845&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i sent the other mattress back because i had not opened it yet . i ordered it in a soft but it is still to firm for me . i toss and turn and everything hurts . this is why i am ready to build my bed . now that i am learning numbers and true bedding , i see the mistake i made in my last purchase .

am i going in the right direction .

thank you

Hi domo,

As I mentioned in my previous reply … when you are designing and building your own mattress I would suggest either using a model that you have tested and know works well for you or approximating a component design that a reliable manufacturer suggests has good odds of working well for you based on their knowledge and experience. This way your odds are higher of using a combination that has already proven successful based on “averages” for your body type, sleeping style, and preferences.

Beyond this if you are trying to based a design on theory you really are dependent on trial and error to see what works best for you.

Every layer interacts and affects every other layer so there really isn’t any answers to your questions about which layers you should use because it would depend on the other layers you choose to go with it and on how your body interacts with each combination. You will need reference points based on your own experience for “specs” to have any meaning. For example a firmer base layer may need thicker comfort layers and a softer base layer may only need thinner comfort layers because there is a little more softness underneath it already.

I would also suggest building from the bottom up so that you first start with the base layer and then add one layer at a time on top of this based on your experience on the previous layer or combination. If the merchant you are buying from is knowledgeable then they can give you some good guidance about which of the options they carry for the base layer would have better odds of working best for you. I would also keep in mind that ILD measurements can vary widely depending on how the ILD is tested so they may not be an effective way of comparing different materials. For example Latexco’s Puralux ILD’s may be measured with thinner layers (they only make it up to 4") so they would not be comparable to ILD measurements that were measured on a 6" core.

When you are designing your own the knowledge and experience of the suppliers you work with and their knowledge of how their products compare to others that you are considering will be a key factor in your success.

Phoenix

hello phoenix ,

i talk to carl today , he is the owner i think of sleep on latex.com . he also runs auctions on ebay . this is where i purchased my puralux topper from .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200891704357?var=500143449075&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i told him that i should have started from bottom up instead of top to bottom like you said and he agreed . he thought that i should stay with the topper in a medium 24 ild . he also suggested that i go with a " 3 zone latex core " for my core .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190796430259?var=490132265986&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

he felt that this should do perfectly . if we needed to adjust we could trade out toppers to make it come out right , but he was confident the core would work for a nice mattress/bed .
carl also said that this is the set up that he has for his bed , just a core and a topper that equals about 9 inches . of course this would be easier to do if you work or have immediate access to all the materials that you need .
he also recommended the medium 24 ild , because of its extra softnes.

3 in - 24 ild puralux ( dunlop )
6 in - 32 ild dunlop - head and shoulders
6 in - 35 ild dunlop - back and midsection

9inches all together .

what do you think .

thank you

Hi domo,

It seems to me that with 9" of latex in a 6" + 3" design with 6" of medium firm for the base layer and 3" of softer latex for the comfort layer that you are inside the averages that would work for many people although some may prefer a little firmer at your weight. The only real test though is how you feel when you sleep on it.

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it so you can let us know how well your choices worked out for you. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

hello phoenix ,

are you saying that you would have went a little firmer as for as the core is concerned or the topper ?
if the core is you concern , what firmness level would you have started with for someone my size ( 6ft - 235lbs ) ?
i was waiting on your response before i did the core because i value your expertise .
the topper is an easy fix , but the core is a little is more difficult . i want to start in the right ball park as close as possible .
my topper is 3 inches of puralux with a 19 - 24 ild medium softness .
i will wait for your response before i order my core .

thank you
domonic

Hi domo,

[quote]are you saying that you would have went a little firmer as for as the core is concerned or the topper ?
if the core is you concern , what firmness level would you have started with for someone my size ( 6ft - 235lbs ) ?
i was waiting on your response before i did the core because i value your expertise .
the topper is an easy fix , but the core is a little is more difficult . i want to start in the right ball park as close as possible .
my topper is 3 inches of puralux with a 19 - 24 ild medium softness .
i will wait for your response before i order my core .[/quote]

Comfort is very subjective and each person has their own range of what feels “comfortable” or what is firm or soft enough for them. I have no reference points for what feels soft or firm for you from your testing so there is no way for me to predict how the mattress will feel for you.

You are “in the ballpark” but on the softer end of the range for someone of your height/weight so only your own experience can really know how it works for you. The zoning has a small differential but it can help a little and allow for the use of softer layers with less risk to alignment.

I also don’t know the relative firmness of the puralux compared to the same ILD of other types of latex so I have no reference points for how its ILD compares to other types of latex (I don’t know the thickness of the layer they use to test for ILD with Puralux) so you would need to go by the “best judgement” and experience of the person selling it although in this case they are certainly knowledgeable about what they sell.

Phoenix