Building my first DIY - nervous about feel

Hey y’all, building my first DIY mattress because why not. I’ve always struggled w/ mattresses so I figure having a mattress I can incrementally change is better than spending a ton of money in one go, only to be locked in.

My previous mattress was a hybrid from Saatva. Looks like that’s coils + 3" of latex and some wool layer. It’s been ok, but I don’t love it. I think I’d like it if it were a bit more firm w/ a bit more “snuggle factor”. Recently, I stayed in an airbnb & I enjoyed the mattress - it turned out to be a Signature Sleep Memoir. Looks like it’s composed of a foam base and a gel layer on top. I think the part I like is that the gel feels nice when you first lay down, while the foam is still quite firm. With all this in mind, here’s what I thought I’d build:

8" Quantum Edge
3" Medium Dunlop
2" Soft Talalay

Wondering if I should bump that support layer to firm though. I’m also not sure about Dunlop VS Talalay for the support layer.

I’m 6’, 195lbs, side sleeper w/ occasional stomach or back sleeping.

@Arizona_Premium

Similar body build and sleep style preferences. Working on figuring out my own DIY bed currently. I’m a little concerned about putting too much latex on top of coils, but maybe that’s unfounded.

@Arizona_Premium

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure either. Mostly following threads I’ve read like this one DIY mattress configuration

1 Like

@ebuenr91 and @grantamos

Since the question was asked in the Talk to the experts/Arizona Premium category, I will let APM take a crack at your questions first.

I will just offer a short comment to get the bed making in motion.

Grant, considering the build and height of the mattress you’re constructing, I’m not concerned about the excess latex over the coils. Both of your points are valid questioning what might constitute too much latex over coils.

I’ve witnessed numerous instances, especially with legacy brands, where they pile on 7-10 inches of foam over the spring support layers, essentially nullifying their purpose. The name of their game today is marketing. They need to make that mattress look appealing to the eye first. When you see that 18" mattress looking cushy and inviting, they make it hard to resist. There are ways to engineer a mattress of this height, but simply stacking 7-10" of foam over an 8" coil height is not a very thought out way to approach it, as far as I am concerned.

It’s highly unlikely for a Trusted Member to design a build in such a manner

I look forward for input from @Arizona_Premium and their expertise in this area.

Maverick

Which coil, the QE Elite or Combizone? The Elite works best for side sleeping. The latex choices seem right on.

Thanks for the feedback! I was going to go w/ the Elite for the exact reason you specified; I’ve read throughout the forums it’s better for side sleeping.

I’m still a bit lost on dunlop vs talalay for support, but I’m guessing it won’t make much of a difference if the ILD is the same. I’ve read your other posts mentioning dunlop is springier (I forgot the exact verbiage) & other posts indicating dunlop is best for support layers, while talalay is better for comfort layers, so that’s what I plan on doing. I’m sure it’ll be fine. And if it’s not, I can buy a new support layer! :stuck_out_tongue:

Great, thank you for the order.