Denver Mattress Elite Euro Top vs Urban Mattress Ravenswood or Highlander

Hi - I was wondering if anybody is familiar with these mattresses. It fits out budget and looks like its worth trying out.

My husband wants to buy something that we can go test out first, and we both prefer an innerspring or hybrid. We live in Albuquerque NM and there aren’t a lot of options other than Urban Mattress for smaller innerspring mattress company dealers but we didn’t like that they just said “foam” in the construction but didn’t give us more detail than that… The models they recommended were the Ravenswood and the Highland. (2-1" layers of 1.8lb and 2.0 lb foam respectively)

This seemed to have materials that meet the durability guidelines in the site so I thought I’d ask for feedback from some of you.

I’ve been reading (scouring!) this site for a week - so much great information!

Thanks -
Anne

Drs Choice :
Doctor’s Choice® Elite gives you a luxurious sleep experience for unbeatable value. Enhanced support from our Balanced Orthopedic Sleep System (B.O.S.S.™) surrounds you in comfort, while 2LB HD Luxury Plush and 4LB Gel layers provide a supportive, cooling surface for your best sleep. Featuring individually wrapped coils for motion separation, and topped with our signature anti-microbial quilting for added durability, this bed offers truly elite benefits at incredible value.

Additional Information
15 Year Non-Prorated Warranty
Mattress Height 11.5"

Construction
Quilt layers:
Luxurious Knit Ticking
1" Anti-Microbial Super Soft EF Foam
1/2" Anti-Microbial 1.8lb High Density EF Foam
Inherent Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
1" 4lb Gel/Visco Memory Foam
1" 2lb High Density Luxury Plush EF Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
The B.O.S.S.™ (Balanced Orthopedic Sleep System)
Coil Density: 750 Alternating Checkerboard
Individually Wrapped Coils
14.5 Gauge Tempered Steel

Hi Twilee,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Both the Ravenswood and the Highland use good quality materials. The “foam” you refer to is simply polyurethane foam, or polyfoam, and is the same “foam” that Denver Mattress refers to in their specifications, so no worries there. The Ravenswood uses two 1" layers of 1.8 lb polyfoam on top of a pocketed coil innerspring unit, and the Highland uses two 1" layers of 2.1 lb polyfoam on top of a higher spring count (as compared to the Ravenswood) pocketed coil innerspring unit featuring the Quantum Edge support system.

The Doctor’s Choice Elite Firm has 1" of “unknown density” polyfoam in the quilting (and they would probably be able to provide you with the density if you ask them) but even if it was also as low as 1.2 lb density, because it’s only an inch I wouldn’t consider it to be a weak link in the mattress and it would meet the minimum guidelines in terms of durability.

You’re correct about the durability guidelines, but I can’t speak to which of the two would be the most “comfortable” or would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) because I can’t feel what you feel on a mattress and your own careful testing is the most reliable way to know this (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post).

In its simplest form choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you also wish to include other local options in your research, then subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Albuquerque area are listed in post #5 here .

If you find other items, feel free to post their specifications or questions here and I’ll be happy to comment upon them for you.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix.

We’ve hit the main stores (sears, mattress firm) and tried the regular beds (S-S=S) and wanted to get a little more research under our belt before going back to the smaller stores.
I’m overwhelmed with information but at least we have a couple of places to start shopping.
Almost every bed we tried has been comfortable for us, but we definitely liked the bouncy springs instead of memory foam so far.

We are replacing our 11 year old Beutyrest princeton park pillow top but the scooped out place where I used to sleep isn’t comfy any more). We were going to replace it with the same thing, but all the names changed, and I haven’t been able to find which beutyrests are made of the better quality materials. (If you know, feel free to tell me…)
I called Simmons and they were helpful but said all of the model classes have some better quality model names, but couldn’t tell me what types of foams or densities etc. are.
I’m almost tempted to open up one end on mine and look :slight_smile:

So, again, thanks for the info. I welcome any more input from anyone with experience with these (beutyrest, Denver, urban) or non-memory foam bed buying in Albuquerque.

Hi Twilee,

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors. Relative to the price you pay, these lower quality materials will tend to soften or break down prematurely, which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely along with the major retailers that focus exclusively on these brands. Also, I recommend avoiding any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it, regardless of how it feels in the showroom (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Focus on the simple steps I listed in my previous reply (from the mattress shopping tutorial), and always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and materials in any mattress you are considering against the durability guidelines.

So that’s already good progress – you know you have an affinity for a “more traditional” innerspring product versus something using memory foam.

[quote]We are replacing our 11 year old Beutyrest princeton park pillow top but the scooped out place where I used to sleep isn’t comfy any more). We were going to replace it with the same thing, but all the names changed, and I haven’t been able to find which beutyrests are made of the better quality materials. (If you know, feel free to tell me…)
I called Simmons and they were helpful but said all of the model classes have some better quality model names, but couldn’t tell me what types of foams or densities etc. are. [/quote]
I would be very cautious about brand shopping in general (and for the reasons I listed above regarding Simmons) because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand, and the brand label tells you nothing about the quality of materials being used, nor do brands tend to “carry over” models from year to year, and even if they did it would be no guarantee of the durability or quality of the products, as specifications can change to produce similar “showroom feels” but can result in vastly shorter actual comfort lives. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

Mattress surgery!

Phoenix