Desperate with scoliosis and severe disc degeneration

I’m 67 (5’2" 130-140 lbs) with scoliosis (S curve with 27 degree curve at both top and bottom and rotation of the spine) which seems to be progressing. Two car accidents caused additional injuries (shoulder and 3 fused cervical vertebrea). The discs in my lower back are almost gone. I can manage the pain during the day with medication, but nights are terrible…not to be dramatic, but I’m at the end of my rope! I have a temperpedic proadapt medium which when WARM was extremely soft with no support for my torso (slept on for a few weeks). Also bought a Saatva plush, but it was way to firm. It has a layer of lumbar support foam which seems to actually be the opposite of what I need (maybe because it is not in the right area for my body). I do use an adjustable base which seems to help, but currently move from recliner to sofa to bed, etc. to make it through the night. From what I’ve researched, it seems the latex gives more and would fill in the gaps of my curves better than other options, but it’s impossible to know until sleeping on it overnight. Because I have an extremely low income, I’m considering a 3" talalay topper, but looking for recommendations. Several questions about companies: Are there any companies that will assist with low income situations (returned latex toppers, mattresses, etc)? If I buy a latex topper from a company, will they adjust the price of a latex mattress if that the topper is not adequate? Any companies that specialize in scoliosis patients? I am unable to find a store in my area with any all latex beds on the floor to try. Any suggestions within a 150 mile radius of Evansville, IN to try? Don’t mind ordering online, but just gun shy. Thanks for any advice!

Hi emailsms.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about the pains you’re having on the mattress, as if you don’t have enough of that to deal with during the waking hours!

Do you still have this bed? Memory foam tends to collapse under body heat, doing what you’re explaining here - becomes very (sometimes too) soft and removes the support we’re looking for (depending on who you are and what you need, of course).

The good news (if you can call it that) is that it’s relatively “easy” to soften a too-firm bed, but there’s not much one can do for a too soft bed.

Are you a back, side, stomach, or mixed-position sleeper? 3" may be more than you need depending on your sleeping profile.

I’m fairly certain there are some non-profits that help people get mattresses, but I’m not too sure about other bedding components. I wonder if you were to go into a mattress store and inquire about their floor models (like the toppers people test) if they’d sell those for a discount? Maybe our experts here in the forum will have a few ideas on that front.

This list is old so it’s possible these stores are no longer open, but I figured I’d drop them here in the event they’re useful. Not sure how far you are from Indianapolis! Here’s an old list for Louisville as well.

NikkiTMU