DIY - All Latex vs Hybrid

My wife and I need a new bed. We are replacing a 10 year old Sterns and Foster hybrid that is 15" tall. New bed does not have to be that tall, but tall is good for how bedroom is setup. I have been looking for a while and finally ready to pull the trigger. We plan on using existing box spring/base. I DIY a lot of things (built the house, rebuild engines, drones, ect) so DIY bed seems my speed. Neither of us really know what we like.

Wife is 5’6" 125lbs, mostly side sleeper with lower back pain. She does sleep on her back as well. She sleeps hot!

I am 5’9" 190lbs, I sleep on side and back. I like my side, but my shoulders struggle. I toss and turn a lot. I tend to like a bit of soft with firm support.

I need to decide hybrid or full latex. I struggle with this choice and not sure why. Hybrid seems so normal I guess, but I am not sure. I plan on getting the cover after trying everything out for a bit. Comfort layers split on either for easier customization. Here is what I have been thinking for both (queen size).

Hybrid:
TPC springs
APM 3" Dunlop Medium
APM 3" Talalay blended Soft

or

TPC Springs
2" Dunlop Med
2" Talalay Med
2" Talalay Soft

Full Latex

3" Dunlop Firm
3" Dunlop Med
3" Talalay Soft

or

3" Dunlop Firm
3" Dunlop Med
2" Talalay Med
2" Talalay Soft (extra soft?)

Your thoughts?

@TPS
@Arizona_Premium

So obviously I’m going to push you in the direction of hybrid.:slight_smile:
Foam and latex sleep hot and will ultimately degrade over time. Your pockets will be as good as new when you make your next DIY in 10 years.
Based on your potential builds I would go with the first hybrid option. I will always say, Keep It Simple. I think too many layers is overkill and its exactly what mattress companies do because they need layers to market and differentiate their mattress for another’s. I’m not saying there aren’t amazing mattress out there with 8+ layers, I’m just saying you don’t need them and especially going the DIY rout without having the luxury of testing out several different configurations.
You may want to check out our 3" QuadMini comfort layer to use instead of the 3" Dunlap. and then get a 2" Talalay to go on top of the QuadMini unit.

1 Like

We get a ton of people coming into our showroom who are predetermined they are going to buy one of our hybrids. Once they experience our Full latex models 8 out of 9 end up purchasing full latex. They love the lack of motion transfer and the overall comfort and customization of it as well. For those who are mainly side sleepers it’s really a no brainer, Talalay latex just offers more pressure relief yet still pushes back for good support in the mid section between the hips and shoulders. Coils just can’t fill in that void as well as full latex.

If going with full latex I would do Firm dunlop, then medium Talalay then soft Talalay. If going with hybrid then I would also do the medium Talalay and then soft on top of the coil.

1 Like

If we do full latex, what is the requirement for the foundation? We currently have a box spring type. The top is fabric with metal wires underneath. They form an alternating grid of 3.5"x 4" and 3.5"x 8".

I tried to attach a picture, but am unable to here.

Hi Coach_V,

Opting for a conservative approach when placing any foam on a foundation. I tend to recommend less than 2.5" between slats, if using a slatted foundation or one with spaces between any support agents.

There are some manufactures will allow up to 4" of space between slats, but I am not so keen on that. I would stay 2.5 or less. Since latex breaths very well, you can opt for a solid foundation.

Based on your description of your foundation, I would suggest a bunkie board or some other type flat firm top added, provided the box spring is not a tradition box springs with actual springs.

Maverick

@coach_v

After sleeping on natural latex for 10 years we switched to a @DLX hybrid mattress. The comfort level was a complete match for us. Since it’s a split queen, there is no motion transfer. Ours is situated on an adjustable base. @DLX can advise you regarding the proper foundation for maximum support and mattress performance.

Keep in mind a DIY mattress is non-returnable. It has to be right, out of the box.

Best wishes for a comfortable bed.

Edited to add:
Side sleepers who experience lower back pain may find relief by using a knee pillow along with the proper head pillow to accommodate the mattress firmness. There’s a thorough discussion thread on pillows. Perhaps @Maverick can attach it.

1 Like

What is underneath the mattress is often overlooked and just as important as the mattress in overall feel and support. If you are using a foundation or box spring, the bed frame used is just as important. A good test if the mattress feels saggy and supportive is to test it on the floor.

The mattress can be placed on a solid surfaces like plywood (beware of splinter or ripping the fabric if it isn’t smooth) or particle board at least 3/4" thick can work but need robust support underneath it, and smooth surfaces can be more prone to mold and mildew, especially with an all-foam or latex mattress. Much less of an issue with innersprings. That is why you see people recommending slats because of better airflow and avoiding some potential issues. Your mileage may vary depending on your environment; humid places are more prone to it.

It is hard to give a specific recommendation of what is the proper support since there are so many options from platform beds, adjustable bases, foundation/bed frame, etc. If you are using a foundation, the slats should be made of real wood and not a composite or laminate and should be at least 1x3 framing lumber, which is usually 3/4" thick. Spacing should be no more than 3" apart, and people who are heavier might even need them closer. In the foundation, there should be a center rail running head to foot supporting the slats. On a king size, we usually recommend a two-piece versus a one-piece because you have more center supports. Under the mattress, there should be a heavy duty frame; don’t cheap out here. Buy a heavy-duty one like one from Knickbocker. It’s expensive, but the thing lasts forever; you should have to buy another one for the rest of your life.

We have seen people with our mattress and foundation saying the mattress was sagging, and we ask for photos of underneath the mattress, and we find that the frame is missing or lacking proper supports or leg broken or tipped over leg causing the mattress to sag. They fix that the mattress stops sagging.

Agree with @papamike about the knee pillow helping with back pain for side sleepers. If you toss and turn a lot, it might not completely eliminate the problem, as it can be hard to keep the knee pillow in place.

@maverick and @papamike are right when talking about pillows for people suffering shoulder pain on a mattress. Speaking from personal experience and helping others, a pillow makes the same people feel great or terrible. You need to find a pillow that keeps your head in neutral alignment. If your head tips towards the bed, the shoulder drives more into the mattress and puts more pressure on it. We’ve always had good success with latex pillows for side sleepers because they are buoyant and resilient.
Like a mattress, pillow preference is highly subjective. A pillow that worked well with your old mattress might not be the right fit for the new one.

1 Like