Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Thanks for such a great resource. This forum has provided a lot of great info. We are about to pull the trigger on the sleepez natural 10 inch latex. Can’t wait!
Thanks again!

Hi Theoretical,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you are making a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Even though I have just registered, I have been going through this forum for quite a while now and really appreciate all the knowledge that is shared. Thank you!

Hi pufl,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I’m pretty new to this site but have learned much in a short time, thanks to yourself and others who write in to you. I appreciate the help very much. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an online site, when I did a search and found some much needed help here. I knew I was interested in an all latex mattress, after laying on one at a local retailer, but knew nothing at all about how to choose one. I’m leaning toward a four layered mattress with at least the two bottom layers of dunlop xfirm under firm dunlop with two layers of talalay on the uppers. I would stick with the 3 layer, but read (somewhere) to get all the layers you could afford (right??) Anyway, anything I buy will be such an improvement on what I have now, that once installed I may sleep for a week straight. Any comment you make on mattress thickness would be a help! Thanks in advance. Don’t want to just waste money. I weigh 190 lb and my partner is a little thing at 120. Also, the brands I’ve been drawn to are SleepEZ and FoamSweetFoam, though SleepEZ seems to be a little more affordable. Any particular reason why? Also, they list all the different foam manufacturers, but you don’t get a choice. Are there any preferred brands? My apologies, I know this note is a little rambling.

Hi rdoerner,

Welcome to the site :slight_smile:

I switched your post to a new topic of it’s own so that your questions wouldn’t get mixed in with the other posts in a more general topic.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would choose the number of layers, thickness, and the firmness levels that both of you would have the best chance of sleeping well on regardless of the thickness of the mattress or the number of layers. There is more about the pros and cons of a thicker mattress in post #14 here and having more layers in post #2 here.

The choice between Dunlop and talalay in any of your layers is also a preference choice more than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the most reliable way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own local testing.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP, this is only possible ahead of time if you are buying a mattress locally. When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Both SleepEZ and Foam Sweet Foam are members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them and I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. You are certainly looking at two great options.

There is more about some of the factors that can affect the price of a mattress relative to different manufacturers or retailers in post #14 here but the biggest factor is generally the type, amount, quality, and cost of the materials and components inside it. Some types of latex are just more costly than others and this (along with the other variables involved in the price) would be reflected in the cost of the mattress. There is more about the different types and blends of latex that can help you make more “apples to apples” comparisons between mattresses in post #6 here.

In your weight ranges you wouldn’t “need” 4 layers of latex although some people may prefer it.

I would focus more on the type and blend of latex that you prefer than on the name of the manufacturer that makes the latex since latex that is the same type and blend that is made by different manufacturers would be closely comparable.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight range and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations about each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Ordering my tuft and needle mattress right now! Cannot wait for a better mattress :slight_smile: thanks for the great info!

Hi all,

Was able to get the discount on a purchase I made yesterday- but here’s a heads up for members looking to get a discount on Tuft & Needle:

Hi Tim,

Good news! We recently ended our discount with the Mattress Underground, but it looks like we will be able to provide a one-time exception for you on this order.

I went ahead and processed your 6.5% discount in the amount of $52.59, and this should post to your purchasing card within the next 5-7 business days.

You’re all set! Let us know if you have any other questions or comments in the future.

Best,

How would you rate our customer service?
Exceptional Okay Not Good

Jordan Davis

Hi beckjensen,

You made a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I switched your post from the “Don’t forget to ask for your “The Mattress Underground” forum member discount/bonus” topic to the main Tuft & Needle topic and I would make sure that you read post #1 here just in case the TMU discount was an important part of your purchase decision since they are no longer a member here and have discontinued their discount.

Phoenix

Hi timseeman,

As you mentioned they are no longer a member of the site and have discontinued their discount for the forum members here (see the announcement here).

They did mention that they may make a few exceptions for a short time so it’s good to see that you were able to receive it although for the sake of others that are reading this is only an exception so I certainly wouldn’t “expect” the discount with any subsequent orders because it’s really up to them how long any exceptions will continue.

Phoenix

They were also about to accommodate me with the 6.5% discount as well. I have to admit as a Costco member I was a little hesitant ordering online from any other retailer. Especially when Consumer Reports mentioned the Novaform Serafina is rated slightly higher and on is onsale.

However in Chatting with Tuft Needle I was really surprised how friendly and responsive there were to questions. Short of “Mail Order Bride”, buying a mattress online was the second item on my list of stuff NEVER to BUY without seeing it in person. But I love there policy of donating returns AND the Amazon reviews are great. In 12 hours I got my shipping notice too so I will place a full review when it arrives. I was very specific about mentioning Mattress Underground as where I heard about the mattress…

Hi roadrunnercj,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m glad that they made an exception for you as well and that you were also able to receive the discount.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and they are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

Thanks for all the great info!. I used to be a happy owner of a Tempurpedic Cloud mattress, but over time the middle has begun to sag (I’m a hefty guy at around 230lbs). It’s interesting to read about all the components that go into a mattress and how they hold up with respect to weight, so that’s been a huge help.

Thanks again!

I’ve lurked here before a few times, but this recent Black Friday\Cyber Monday sales event brought me here again. I’ve been wanting a new mattress for the past year and looking forward to getting one soon with the help of this great site.

Thank you.

Hi Ranisis and symphonix,

Welcome to both of you :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what both of you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix! I’ve spent the last month researching mattresses online, and this site has been the most helpful by far. After reading through all your articles and the forums, my husband and I have decided to make the drive from Maryland to Norfolk, Virginia to visit Cozy Pure. I will let you know how it goes when we get back. Thanks!

Hi Capsfan,

As you know I think highly of Cozy Pure and the mattresses they manufacture … and you are certainly heading in a great direction.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

We purchased a Novaform Serafina from Costco, per the CR review.
It is killing us!
I am a side sleeper and my arm winds up tingling.
My husband sleeps on his side and back and he now has shoulder pain.
I also was getting terrible headaches and suspect there was odorless off-gassing from the foam.
I abandoned ship for a guest bed-an old Serta that is fine, but not made anymore.
We are now on the hunt for a hybrid mattress as we are gushy about this foam and latex is too firm.
Any suggestions?

Hi samattes,

I switched your post to a new topic of it’s own since your questions were outside the scope of the original topic you posted in.

[quote]We purchased a Novaform Serafina from Costco, per the CR review.
It is killing us![/quote]

You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and they are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

I would also avoid any mattress that used more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality and less durable materials and the Serafina uses 3" of 3 lb memory foam which is a lower quality material that would be a potential weak link in the mattress. It’s certainly not a mattress that I would consider.

While the Novaform mattresses use CertiPUR certified materials that would certainly be “safe enough” for most people … unfortunately some people can be sensitive to some of the chemicals that are used to make some types of memory foam (or other foams as well) even though they would be fine with other types of memory foam that don’t use the same chemical formulation. It depends entirely on the individual person and on the specific formulation of the foam. You can read about my own experience with a sensitivity to a memory foam topper in post #2 here.

[quote]We are now on the hunt for a hybrid mattress as we are gushy about this foam and latex is too firm.
Any suggestions? [/quote]

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

All the different types and categories of mattresses have a wide range of firmness levels that generally range from very soft to very firm but the best way to know which types of materials or mattresses that you tend to prefer in general will be based on your own testing or personal experience.

Latex mattresses also come in a very wide range of firmness options from very soft to ultra firm so while one or more latex mattress that you tested may have been too firm for you … it certainly wouldn’t indicate that all latex mattresses are too firm for you and there would likely be many other latex mattresses that are much softer than the ones you tested.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress relative to your weight that you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else would have the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m about to move to Downtown LA in about a week and decided to replace my current 10+ year old Tempur-pedic. I found this forum after hearing about the Casper mattress brand somewhere on the internet. Having almost zero knowledge of the latest mattress “tech” I quickly did a Google search comparing a Tempur-pedic to other generic memory foam mattress before I make another impulsive purchase, I am glad I found The Mattress Underground.

To be honest, I almost didn’t want to give this forum a chance because I figured, “I’m just buying a mattress, why waste my time here.” What actually kept me here and made me sign up were your posts. You are an invaluable asset to this community by keeping us informed and ensuring we have the information we need to make a purchase. So…Thank you.

P.S. I am debating between the Ultimate Dreams Latex and the Brooklyn Bedding.