Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

I just ordered the dreamfoam latex mattress and I canā€™t wait to get it. I couldnā€™t afford an all latex mattress or an organic one but dreamfoam was a great compromise.

1. great price
  2. made in america
  3. no chemical sprays
  4. certified safe foam and natural latex

andā€¦Chuck was a ton of help!

Hi tamtam007,

I switched your post into your original topic.

Thanks for letting us know which mattress you purchased :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for all the helpful info on the site.

Hi luker,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :).

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course to any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix et al,

Iā€™m so eager to replace my 10+ yr old Tempur-Pedic mattress, and look forward to experiencing the comfort of a latex mattress. I will likely order online, and seek a king size latex mattress in the $2k ballpark. I am 6ā€™1" and 220lbs, tend to prefer medium firm mattresses, and live near Lexington, KY (40383). I very much hope to find a mattress that will remain cool, as Iā€™m quite the hot sleeper. Any and all advice most welcome!

Thanks!!
Jay

Hi Jkshrop,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us.

While I can certainly help with ā€œhowā€ to choose ā€¦ Itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are just too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would also keep in mind that there are also no ā€œstandardā€ definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like ā€œmediumā€ for someone else or even ā€œsoftā€ for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they ā€œrateā€ a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™ve read since you found the site but just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Outside of any local options that may be available to you ā€¦ the mattress shopping tutorial includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (which is one of several links to different online lists in the optional online step in the tutorial) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices. Post #3 here also includes a list of online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses online as well.

If you are considering online options and you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Lexington, KY area are listed in post #3 here.

While itā€™s also not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the ā€œoven to icebergā€ range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials ā€¦ there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Latex in general is the most breathable and temperature neutral of all the foam materials and wool is a great temperature regulator as well so a mattress with latex comfort layers and a wool quilted cover would certainly be a very good choice for those that tend to sleep hot.

Phoenix

Hi, Iā€™m a new member. I just wanted to say hi and thank you to everyone who posts on here. Iā€™ve already learned a lot by reading through different memberā€™s journeys to find the right mattress.

Todd

Hi Mainertodd,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and to any comments or questions you may have along the way that I or any of the other more knowledgeable members of the site can help with.

Phoenix

I just want to thank you for the tremendous quality of information on this site. Each question Iā€™ve had about buying a latex mattress and the foundation for it has been answered in detail.

Frank

Hi DrFranco,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you also found us as well.

Iā€™m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for taking the time to run this forum/web site. It has been incredibly helpful in researching our first latex mattress. Right now we are leaning toward Urban Green, a brand I had never heard of before finding your website.

Thanks again,

Bob

Hi bk289,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

As you probably know Urban Green (Foam Sweet Foam) are one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Hi everyone and especially hello Phoenix. Thanks for this site. My (our) journey has just begun. My 10yo Sealy (Serta?) memory foam just isnā€™t cutting it anymore. It doesnā€™t support me well enough while front sleeping and my SO, a back sleeper with a heavy back curve needs something to better fill the gaps. so our search began and we ran across Sleep Like The Dead a while back where we learned about latex, and searching for info on that lead us to Savvy Rest which has a local shop. We fell in love with the configuration options but the price made me insist we go home and do some more research which led us back to SLTD then to SleepEz and finally to this wonderful site (specificallyhttps://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/comps-between-savvy-rest-and-sleep-ez) . End of the story, almost is I think Iā€™m about to make the purchase at Sleep Ez. With all the saved money weā€™re looking at fancier bed-frame/headboards WOOT.

Hi jumperalex,

You are certainly looking at a great quality/value choice that has a similar design to the Savvy Rest although they have more options to choose from, are in a lower budget range, and have a better return/exchange policy as well.

Iā€™m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course to any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Wow, I am very appreciative (and somewhat overwhelmed!) by this site! I have learned so much in the past week. I went from planning on replacing my Tempurpedic Cloud Breeze with a softer version Cloud to learning that I donā€™t even want a memory foam mattress at all! I am going to enter the world of latex mattresses, and I am very excited about that. The only available latex mattresses for me to test in my city were Dunlopillo mattresses, and although I liked them a lot, I also had done enough research to question the layering and the price. So, I am now going to finish my shopping by calling the reps at Brooklyn, Dreamfoam and Kiss and asking them to compare what I liked about the feel and firmness of the Dunlopillos that I tried and make a decision about one of the above mattresses. Buying a mattress untried is very scary, but the popularity of these mattresses, the endorsement of this site, and their generous return policy gives me a lot of confidence. Thank you so much for the help in both choosing a much better mattress for me than I was about to choose, but also in saving a ton of money! Talk about win-win! :woohoo:

Hi KC,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

You are certainly looking at some great quality/value choices although I would keep in mind that without knowing the specs of the Dunlopillo mattresses you tested they may not be able to make any specific comparisons between them.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

[color=#8800bb][size=3][size=4]Hi! And thank you so much for this site! I have learned so much reading all the forum and blog posts and articles. I have completely changed my mind about the brand/type of mattress I want now that I am so much more informed! I think I"m now leaning toward a latex mattress from Spindle. I visited their place in Acton, MA and after talking to Kim and laying on all the mattresses, I just canā€™t stop thinking about them! (Normally, Iā€™d be dreaming about them, but I donā€™t sleep very well on my current bed!)

Thanks again for a great site and for introducing me to Spindle![/size][/size][/color] :cheer:

Christine

Hi cpavao,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

As you probably know Spindle is a member of this site which means I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

You are certainly looking at a great quality/value choice and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

This site is fantastic! Iā€™ve learned a lot about mattress selection over the past couple days. My wife and I are excited to go to the Spindle showroom and Jordanā€™s to start our comparison process!

Thanks for all the work you have put into this!

Wayne

Hi waygil,

Iā€™m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course to any comments or questions you may have along the way,

Phoenix