Frustrated shopper! Hoping for advice on mattress selection

Hi all -

I need a new mattress and the options are dizzying plus it’s a firehose of marketing - so I was happy when I found this forum!! Can anyone please help me get on the right track? My situation is:

• I am 6 feet, 215 pounds and my wife 5 ft 7 and 135 pounds
  • We are both side sleepers. My wife occasionally is on her back. I literally can’t sleep unless I’m on my side
  • Our current mattress feels way too soft, but it’s kinda old so maybe just worn.
  • I have tried foam mattresses and I don’t love the feeling of sinking way in then feeling enveloped. I like to be a bit more ‘on top’ of the mattress. I’ve also tried some with foam toppers where you sink in, but just a bit - and those were fantastic.
  • No budget constraints, just trying not waste money.

Special considerations:

• my wife LOVES when there isn’t much motion transfer. I guess I flop around a lot :slight_smile:
  • I get hot very easily, so a mattress that doesn’t make it even hotter while sleeping would be best
  • I have been getting serious pain in my shoulders from my mattress, and it’s clear that it’s from the mattress because if I forget to switch sides it’s much worse + on a hotel mattress it’s usually magically pain-free. But I have an injury in one shoulder and arthritis in both, plus im a big guy so this is a major consideration. I have learned that a few inches of foam over a layer of springs is a good answer to shoulder pain, or at least that’s what read!

I sleep in a lot of hotels and the good quality hotel room mattress almost always feel good to me. They feel firmer than mine, and I sleep well.

We are not up for a DIY, it’s a busy time and I hope to.buy something that will work for us. I have had 3 people recommend the Saatva Classic, but I hear mixed reviews. I’d be really interested in any opinions, or questons.

thank you!! David

2 Likes

Maybe DLX Premier Hybrid?

2 Likes

@PaxALot

Welcome!

@DLX is a trusted member at TMU. Our recent mattress purchase was a DLX Premier Hybrid. It’s been an amazingly comfortable transition from all latex to Hybrid. DLX offers split comfort zones too! That may be the best option for you and your wife. Motion transfer is minimal to none for us.
I strongly suggest a look at the DLX Hybrid website. There’s an option to set up a phone consultation with an owner of the company.
Premier Hybrid

1 Like

Welcome, PaxALot! Glad you found your way here.

It sounds like you’ve already identified foam over springs is a good option for you. Perhaps a topper over an innerspring mattress would work also.

Latex has very little motion transfer, but from what you have said, perhaps an individually pocketed spring mattress would be an option to think about. It would support you where needed, give where needed, and individual springs reduce motion transfer. They also sleep cool.

Any mattress or bedding that is made of natural materials will usually help you to sleep cooler, since natural materials are breathable.

Take a peek at a Naturepedic EOS (latex over springs; you can choose your firmness level and can customize by side), or if price is not a factor, a Vispring may be something to consider. Again, customizable firmness and individually pocketed springs for less motion transfer.
I invite you to give us a call at the number in the upper left of our home page site - one of our experienced staff can help. We have a wide variety of products and with decades of experience, they have gotten good at helping people narrow down their options.
Best of luck to you!

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I am still unsure of which direction to go, but am learning a lot on this forum. I have now tried mattresses in hotels + a couple of showrooms and it’s just so hard to compare. Even laying for 10+ minutes at a store, I keep asking myself ‘will my shoulder feel OK in the morning? do I like this mattress’ and analysis paralysis hits :slight_smile:

A friend recommended I look at a 2 inch latex topper, which would be way cheaper so I guess I could consider that. To start, I looked up what my current mattress is, exactly, and I found this on the tag:

512468 pp sedgebrook cf 7699 0039
Date 2016

POLYURETHANE Foam 89%
LATEX FOAM 6 %
BLENDED RAYON/ POLYESTER FIBER BATTING 5%

I remember it felt firm when we got it, but it feels softer now. My guess is that this old mattress has seen it’s best days and should be replaced, but a cheaper fix is certainly attractive :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if there is a way to find out the firmness/softness of this mattress by model?

Update on this: According to Sealy, it’s a Posturepedic Plus Spring tight top firm feel

The Sealy chat agent recommended this as a fix: TEMPUR-Adapt® Topper | Tempur-Pedic

It’s no surprise they’d recommend a Tempurpedic viscoelastic memory foam, given their ownership ( hense the name Tempur-Sealy).

However, it seems they overlooked your concern about sleeping hot. While Tempurpedic toppers excel in motion isolation, they can also envelop you like sinking into hot quicksand, trapping heat as you go deeper. Despite their conforming nature, akin to a snug straight-jacket, my firsthand experience with a 3" Tempurpedic topper left my wife complaining daily about its stifling heat and not being able to move or get out of bed. Even when added to my Sealy Posturepedic UltraFirm Pillow top, it didn’t mesh well.

Ultimately, we opted for a new mattress, favoring an ultra-firm feel without the sensation of sinking in. While firmer mattresses may transmit more motion compared to viscoelastic memory foam, options like the DLX hybrid recommended by @PapaMike or those suggested by @TheCleanBedroom offer superior quality and performance, surpassing the proposed Tempur-Sealy solution.

This may not be the ultimate answer to your situation and solution to the existing conditions, but some food for thought!

Maverick

1 Like

I was immediately suspect of their recommendation, so this validates that :slight_smile:
I guess the toughest part of all of this is my shoulder pain - i really like the feeling of a super firm mattress BUT I am now understanding that maybe 2 inches of foam would allow some real pressure relief on the shoulders while still keeping things generally firm. At least, that’s the current theory :slight_smile:

1 Like

Remember to consider what @PapaMike and @TheCleanBedroom suggested, and equally as important, keep in mind the significance of the pillow, which contributes to about 40-45% of your overall sleep comfort. Selecting the right pillow isn’t a simple task. I recently shared my pillow journey where I discovered its importance.

Often, finding the perfect pillow combination, considering factors like mattress firmness, sleep position, and posture, can significantly enhance your sleep quality.

Maverick

1 Like

Try Shovlin Nirvana , 6 “ of Taladay latex over 6” of firm foam, comes in all comfort from firm to ultra plush, also a 2” comfort pad, we tried extensively all brands in chains and independents, this is truly the best, they are in NY, we drove there and they delivered to us , we’ve had it a month it’s the best bed ever , great warranty CUSTOM made in their factory in NY , we also got an adjustable base

1 Like

Hello again, I’ve been offline for a few days, hence the late response. What you mention here is often true - keeping things firm allows for support and durability, with some cushioning on the top layer for shoulders and hips. Look for a good quality foam - the length of the warranty should give you a clue as to how long the manufacturer expects it to last :slight_smile:

1 Like