Help comparing the IComfort acumen and Sealy Progel 2 mattress

Hi guys,

I have tried a few mattresses and have narrowed down to two that I like. Please help me in comparing them and list any pros and cons.

Serta IComfort Acumen Firm vs. Sealy Progel 2 (Envision)

From a price perspective the IComfort is $2000, and Progel 2 is $1750. Both have 20 year guarantee.

Hi newalf,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and learn how and why to avoid the worst ones (and both of the mattresses you are looking at would be on the “avoid” list based on the guidelines here and the list of the top 15 manufacturers here).

Outside of careful and objective testing to make sure a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), a mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the quality of the materials inside it (regardless of the name on the label) and the most important part of a mattress purchase is making sure you know the type and quality of all the materials and components inside it (see this article). Without this there is no way to know whether a mattress has any weak links or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

While it’s not likely that you will be able to find out the information you need to make an informed choice with either mattress (neither Sealy or Serta or the retailers that focus on them tend to be very open or transparent about the quality of the materials in their mattresses) … if you can find out the specs of both mattresses and list them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials or the mattresses in general.

Without this information it isn’t possible to make an informed mattress choice or for me to make any meaningful comments about the quality of either mattress and you would be making a completely blind purchase.

I would also make sure you read post #174 here about mattress warranties so that you are clear that they have little to do with the useful life of a mattress or your ability to replace it if it loses it’s comfort and/or support because of the premature softening of any lower quality materials in the mattress (which isn’t covered by a warranty).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your reply. While, both the mattresses I am considering are in your “Avoid” list, I cannot find any other “good” mattress brands available in Vancouver, BC . I hate to be a victim of their marketing, but for the time available at hand, I am stuck with these 2 mattresses. In terms of PPP, they are both my best choice so far.

On the mattress, here is the info that I’ve been able to gather so far:

Sealy Progel 2 (top to bottom layer):

2" Progel Memory Foam
1.5" Memory Foam
2" CoreSupport Ventilated Omalon Center
5" Soy-Based CertiPur high density foam

Link: http://www.costco.ca/ProGel-II-King-Mattress-Set-.product.100075721.html

Serta IComfort Directions Acumen(top to bottom layer):

QUILT - Thermo°Cool™ yarn Fabric Covers with TENCEL® fibers, FireBlocker Technology
COMFORT - PADDING LAYERS:-
2" EverCool™ GfX Memory Foam with 1" Serta PillowSoft™ Foam
2" Cool Action™ Dual Effects Gel Memory Foam
1" Pods™ Gel Activated Support
ComfortLast 6" Foam Core with Ultimate Edge Support

Link: http://www.beddermattress.com/serta-icomfort-directions-acumen.html

I have not been able to gather any more details about the density of foam or type.

Based on these specs alone, can one make a recommendation? Are the 2 mattresses even comparable?

Hi newalf,

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Greater Vancouver area are listed in post #2 here.

Unfortunately the information you listed doesn’t include anything about the quality of the materials … only the type … so it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about them, identify any weak links, or make comparisons with other mattresses. The only thing I can say is they are both memory foam mattresses with polyfoam support cores. The information you would need to make an informed choice about the quality/durability of any mattress is in this article. Without this … you would be making a completely blind purchase which is always very risky and is one of the most common reasons for buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

Phoenix

So after chatting with the manufacturers, this is what I found:

The Serta Acumen directions:

Memory foam is 4 pounds but since its infuse with 30% gel, exact density is unknown.
The bottom 6" high density foam layer is 1.8 pounds.

Regarding the Sealy Progel 2 mattress:

Top Memory foam layer is between 3 to 5 pounds, and polu foam layers r between 1.35 to 2.5 pounds. Exact numbers were not provided.

Hi newalf,

This would be a medium quality/density gel memory foam which would work well for some people but not for others in terms of durability and could be meaningfully compared to other mattresses that used memory foam or gel memory foam of a similar density. There is more about some of the different types of gel memory foams in post #2 here.

Unfortunately these density ranges cover the spectrum from low quality memory foam and polyoam to high quality memory foam and polyfoam and this range could be used to describe almost any mattress on the market from low quality to high quality. You would need to know the specific numbers for each layer to make any meaningful assessment of a mattress. I would not consider any mattress if more specific information about the quality of the materials wasn’t available.

Phoenix