Help find a mattress- is DORMEO any good?

I just put a deposit down on a DORMEO medium mattress from sleep county and then I found this board. Even though the bed felt great in the store, I realize I haven’t done enough reaseach and this might not be made of the best materials or be supportive in the long term. I really liked the way the bed was conforming without the sinking down feeling as with most memory foam beds. I am a side sleeper (sometimes back) with shoulder and neck pain so really need good contouring but I don’t like the quick sand feeling of most memory foam mattresses. My husband has sleep apnea and we are both concerned with motion transfer. I am also concerned with chemical off gassing and would like the healthiest choice.

After doing some reading here, I realize I need a firm support core (either latex or pocket coil sounds like the best from reading here) and a soft comfort layer (latex or high quality memory foam and /or natural Fiber).

My budget is in $2000 range. Can you please recommend the best mattress for me? Would the DORMEO meet these needs? Or is it just sleep country’s money making line?
Thanks!

The breakdown of DORMEO is as follows:

1" PCM Infused Cool ACTIV HD Memory Foam (5 lb) Comfort Layer
OCTASPRING ™ Technology Support System:

Top Layer:
2 Layers of 2" Firm EcoSprings™ sandwiched with .5"
Ecocell™ Support Layers top and bottom Base Layer
5" Ecocell (2.0 lb) Support Core

I am also looking at a Natura latex mattress for roughly the same price:

Cotton and wool blend ticking
4.2 lbs of pure NaturaWool™
1" all-natural Dunlop latex quilted to the cover
1" soft Talalay natural latex top layer
2" medium Talalay natural latex
6" medium-firm Talalay natural latex support core

Please help compare!
Thanks!

Hey MaryD,

I’m sorry, but I’m not completely familiar with the Doremo line of mattresses. However, I did find a post with some good links about this line of products discussed previously here on the forum.

Regarding the Natura mattress, this is using totally different componentry and everything you listed would be a good quality material (Dunlop and Talalay latex). This is very different from the polyurethane foam and the memory foam used in the Dormeo mattress you mentioned.

As both mattresses are available for you to test out in person, that is a major bonus for you.

I can’t pick a mattress for you or tell what may or may not work best for you specific situation. I think something good for you to read would be the mattress shopping tutorial on this site, which helps guide people through their mattress shopping process. Here is a link to that.

As for off-gassing, everything off-gasses something. There’s a really good post about this that’s commonly copied on the forum that you may find interesting. I’ll copy it here for you (no need for me to reinvent the wheel):

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification and they usually aren’t aware that an organic certification isn’t the same thing as a safety certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

The Natura mattress you’re considering would generally be able to pass more stringent testing for harmful substances and VOCs.

Also, once you pick a mattress, make sure to reevaluate your pillow to assist with your neck issues.

That’s the best advice I can give you for products about which I am not completely familiar. Good luck!

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

Thanks for you reply. Is there a list of recommended mattresses anywhere on this site? I read the mattress tutorial (mostly) and understand about the PPP but there is so much on the market that it’s extremely overwhelming and I am honestly overwhelmed with information. This site says to stay away from all the big brands but they are really all I know. The small retailers that you recommend are no where near my locations except for Dormio where the sets start at $5k!
Please help!

MaryD,

The moderator of this site doesn’t recommend mattresses, but instead focuses upon education and how to choose a quality mattress anywhere you visit. There is a list of manufacturing members of the forum here.

If you focus on the steps outlined in the tutorial you have all of the information you need to know to select a product (or avoid a certain product) anywhere you visit. But you have to read through those steps. There are some other guidelines listed here as well. At the very least, taking the time to read trough that material will assist you in determining if a retailer has good knowledge, and who then might be able to guide you.

Just for reference, I don’t recommend any brands. I’m just a forum member here on the site who helps to answer questions.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go