Hybrid Mattress Predicament

My wife and I have spent about 20 hours over the past few weeks doing online research, in store testing, and a bit of “intense discussion,” and feel only slightly closer to making a decision regarding a new mattress than we felt before we started the whole process. We started with the Mattress Shopping Tutorial, and then proceeded with all the online and in-store research. For context, here’s a quick bit of background:

• I’m 33, 5’8" and about 165 pounds. I’m pretty fit so the BMI calculators we’ve used to help us decide don’t give great results.
  • She’s 32, 5’8" and about 130 pounds. Also pretty fit, so the same is true re: BMI calculators
  • We both tend to fall asleep on our back or side, and then sleep on our back
  • She prefers something a little more firm, and I’d like something a little more plush (we’ll go with her pick here, as I travel 3-4 days per week)
  • Neither one of us likes the sleeping “in” your bed feeling of memory foam; we’d prefer to sleep “on” our bed
  • I sleep very hot, and she sleeps rather cold, so we accept that this may need to be addressed with sheets/comforter rather than the mattress

We did quite a bit of reading on this site, as well as on a few others, and decided we would like to go with either an all latex or latex hybrid mattress. With that in mind, we checked out a couple of the stores that were listed in this post about options in our area (Cincinnati).

We started with The Original Mattress Factory, but found that their only hybrid option was far to spongy/bouncy for either one of us.

Next we tried The Denver Mattress Company, in Florence, KY. I really like the Telluride hybrid mattress they had, as did my wife, but we’re both concerned about the longevity of this one because there’s not as much information available on each of the components. The gentleman in the store used the “it’s a proprietary blend” shtick with us.

Our favorite mattress thus far has been the Macybed Lux Lovell 15" Plush Euro Top, but again, neither the gentleman in the store, nor the folks at Restonic, who make the bed for Macy’s, were able to give me foam densities or latex ILD info. We were also skeptical because of all the warnings about the big box route, though Restonic does get a strong GOOD POSSIBILITY review on this site.

Our last resort at this point is likely a trip to Design Sleep, which is about an hour’s drive for us. It looks like they do both standard and custom-built latex and latex hybrid mattresses. Based upon reviews they appear to be very knowledgeable.

If that doesn’t work, what are we to do? Do any of you have information regarding stores in the Cincinnati/Dayton area, or should we go with an online retailer that has a replacement guarantee so we know we’ll be able to “try” a few options (we’d prefer not to have to return anything, but we’ve struggled to find something we really like).

Thank you for the questions. I think at this point you should get more info from the Design Sleep offerings and come back with your impressions of those before we continue looking into online sources. Latex Hybrid mattresses are our specialty so take a look at how we do ours so you have more knowledge before going to Design Sleep.

Ken,

Thanks for the follow up, and the candor. I’ve spent quite a bit of time on your site, and yours is likely the one from which we’d order if we go the online route.

We look forward to learning more about our preferences during our visit to Design Sleep and will go from there.

Cheers!

I wanted to close the loop here, as my wife and I made a purchase decision that we’re very happy with (so far). We visited Michael Koveleski at Design Sleep back in April. We made an appointment with him on a day when they were not that busy so we could take as much time as we needed.

On the day of we spent 2-2.5 hours with Mike trying out a bunch of different latex and latex hybrid mattresses. We tried out different sleeping positions, different bases, different pillows, etc. until we found something that we were both very happy with. Mike was patient, informative, and incredibly knowledgeable. He made us feel comfortable throughout the process without overwhelming us.

While we acknowledge that “sleeping on it” would be the best approach here, we weren’t in position to take much more time because we have a little one (6 months old) and I travel most weeks for work. Given the constraints, we went ahead with our purchase on the day of our visit.

We went with Design Sleep’s Riviera Sleep System in a King. We couldn’t be happier. We’ve been sleeping on the mattress/system for about a month now and we’re both really enjoying it, and sleeping very well.

Do we think we could’ve put something similar together for a lower price? Yes. Do we think it would have been worth it given the time and effort required? No. We’re both incredibly busy people and we wanted to make a quick decision once we both felt appropriately informed. We did just that.

If you’re in the Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana area I really suggest you check them out!

Cheers,
Tommy & Allison

Glad to hear it worked out for you.