In Rhode Island

WOW!

I have been doing a decent amount of research, particularly on this site and sleeplikethedead.com. My head is spinning!! We have been sleeping on a Queen-sized Classic 8" Tempurpedic for the last 8 years. There seems to major sagging in the mattress that is negatively affecting our sleep. Unfortunately, my wife misplaced the receipt and we cannot use our warranty because of the lack of proof of purchase. ANYWAYS…

We are in the market for a new mattress. We “sampled” a latex (or what they call latex) mattress at Jordan’s. They carry the Natura line and my wife and I both liked it. A bit pricey but nice. Then I did a little research and I guess the mattress is not constructed with the best materials…especially for the price.

So I began my search for latex. Then the information deluge on latex. Natural, organic, talalay, dunlop, contiunous pour, blended, synthetic, ild, and so on and so on. I don’t mind the information BUT not being able to test it, even for 5 minutes is a little concerning. With all of the online retailers, there seems to be value and quality there, but that is what my eyes and brain are telling me. Not my body. I was 2 seconds away from purchasing a King Organic from Plushbeds then I decided to research more companies. Then I was 2 seconds away from getting a King from SleepEz. Instead I decided to see what I could find on the two companies and mattresses respectively. And I found…more confusion!!

Again, my brain believes in the value and quality of these mattresses online. But my body has no clue. Its just a little difficult to make a rather large purchase sight unseen. Especially, reading the stories of trying to return some of these layers. My wife is against it. I’m still up in the air.

Are there any quality places in RI to “try/sample” latex beds?

Any help would be much, much appreciated!!

Thanks

Hi dchuck,

It would be interesting to know how deep your impressions are when you are off the mattress and whether the impressions are deeper than the warranty exclusion (you can measure this by making sure that the mattress is on a completely flat surface so any sagging isn’t coming from under the mattress and putting a straight edge over any impressions and using a ruler or tape measure to measure the actual depth of the impression). In most cases the impressions will be less than the warranty so you may not qualify for warranty coverage anyway if it turns out to be foam softening or “virtual impressions” that are only apparent when you sleep on the mattress.

I can completely understand the “information overload” and I would keep things as simple as possible. When it comes to latex then the main difference in “feel” would be between Talalay vs Dunlop and if you can test both in different firmness levels and end up liking Dunlop better then you could look at the different blends in specific mattresses that you are considering as an additional consideration. I would talk to each manufacturer about their specific mattresses so they can help you with how they would compare to others. In general it’s more effective to 'talk with the experts" than to do all the research it would take to become one yourself.

I’m not sure where you are in Rhode Island (I don’t know your city or zip code) but most of the better options I’m aware of would probably be included in the Boston list in post #2 here or in the Connecticut lists in post #2and #4 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your response.

With the research I have done, I am leaning towards the SleepEz Organic 10000 King with a Talalay comfort level, and two dunlop cores - medium, firm, extra firm. I am 6’1, 185 - side and back sleeper. My wife is 5’3 120 - side and stomach sleeper.

According to the specs I mentioned and the info that you have regarding the stores in Massachusetts, which store would you suggest to have the closest mattress to those specs?

I spoke to Spindle Mattress but they only carry Continuous Poured Dunlop. I am going to drive up there and give it a try anyway to at least get a feel for it. And hopefully get some sort of reference point.

Also, although they are not a member, what do you think of Plushbeds Botanical Bliss?

Thanks in advance!

Btw, my zip is 02889.

Hi dchuck,

I don’t keep a record of the specs of individual mattresses at each store (that would be impossible for one person to keep up with) so you would need to call each of them with the specs you are looking for to see if any of them have anything similar in terms of the type of latex, layer thickness, ILD of each layer, and type of cover. There are so many latex mattress variations It may not be possible to find a close match or you may find some mattresses that are reasonable approximations but not the same.

The materials they use are good quality and they have a good comfort layer exchange policy and return policy so they would be well worth considering although I would also make some careful comparisons with other similar mattresses made by other manufacturers based on the parts of your own personal value equation that are most important to you. A forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click this) will also bring up more information and feedback about them.

The Boston list in post #2 here includes the factory direct manufacturers I’m aware of that are closest to you.

I’ve included a few of the more local retail possibilities in the Providence / Warwick region within about 35 miles or so that may be worth considering on a mattress by mattress basis. Make sure if you visit them that you call and check first to find out the specifics of what they currently carry and to make sure they will provide you with the specifics of the materials and layers in each mattress. The list includes the manufacturers they list on their site that I would consider but they will also require further research into their knowledge and transparency and to find out if their websites are up to date.

http://www.redstarmat.com/ is an upholstery shop in Cumberland, RI that carries some traditional two sided innerspring mattresses on her floor that are better quality/value. They can also make custom sizes for RV’s, boats, and trailers. Their mattresses are manufactured by Ecin Industries in Fall River so they can also order any of their other mattresses as well. They are upholsterers so they are familiar with and knowledgeable about foam quality and mattress materials.

http://www.mastersonupholstery.com/ Pawtucket, RI. Foam shop but carries Comfort Bedding mattresses. Very hesitant about disclosing foam densities (strangely enough) and I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality of the materials inside it. Also has two sided basic innersprings.

http://www.jordans.com/ Warwick, RI. Carries their own Jordans brand along with Naturepedic and Pranasleep although some of these are in higher budget ranges than other similar mattresses so I would make some careful value comparisons here.

Mattresses Providence, RI. Natura, Gold Bond

http://www.cardis.com/ Warwick, South Kingstown, RI. Swansea, Braintree, South Attleboro, Hyannis, MA. Carries Elevate mattresses which may be worth considering here.

http://www.billsbedding.com/ Danielson, CT. Gold Bond, Symbol.

http://charihofurniture.com/ Richmond, RI. Gold Bond

http://www.bensfurn.com/ Newport, RI. Gold Bond.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your quick responses and information. I will certainly visit and speak to a number of these establishments. After perusing these sites, Gold Bond seems to be prevalent in this area. Also, Natura seems to be of some quality, I believe Jordan’s Furniture has this line. Here are some of the specs of the NaturaOrganics EcoRestore Mattress…

Quilt
Certified 100% organic cotton stretch-knit ticking
4.2 lbs Certified organic Natura Grow WoolTM
Core
1" all-natural Talalay latex
2" All-natural Talalay latex – medium
6" All-natural Dunlop latex
Mattress Height
9.5"

What are your thoughts on this product, particularly the 1" on top of 2" Talalay?

I will visit these stores but will also make the drive to Massachusetts. My plan is to visit Spindle Mattress and Gardner as well. From the specs, Gardner seems to be closest in what I am looking for, with the use of Talalay. Spindle does not use Talalay, but a contiuous pour Dunlop.

Again, this is what my eyes and brain tell me, now I need to feel them.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks

Hi dchuck,

All the materials are very good quality including the 1" top layer (a mix of Talalay and Dunlop latex and a wool quilted cover) and there are no obvious weak links in the mattress. Of course you would also need to test it to make sure it’s a suitable “match” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) but in terms of material quality it’s good.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your responses and help.

As mentioned, I will sample some Gold Bond and Natura lines, as well as making a trip to Spindle, Gardner and Worley in Massachusetts. Because of you and this site I feel “somewhat” knowledgeable on what to look for and what to be aware of, when searching. Now its time for me to field test. I just hope I don’t get “paralysis of analysis” when I’m out there.

I will be certain to post my findings as they happen. As you have taken time to help me and others, I feel it’s necessary I do the same for those that are in the same situation I am in, here in Rhode Island and the surrounding areas. I hope my experiences are as pleasant as they’ve been here and that I find the right fit for me and my wife.

Thanks!

Hi dchuck,

I think the biggest key to avoiding “paralysis by analysis” is careful and objective testing along with dealing with people who are able to tell you all the specifics of what is in their mattress and have the knowledge and experience to know and explain to you what they mean so you know that any mattresses that are a good match for you in terms of PPP are also using good quality durable materials and so you can make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. In other words … “finding an expert” who already knows what you would otherwise have to learn can be one of the most important parts of avoiding paralysis by analysis and a successful mattress purchase.

I’m looking forward to your feedback and of course any questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So I made my hour and a half trip to Gardner Mattress. Nice sales person, no pressure unfortunately a limited selection to choose from when it came to all latex. They basically had two models for my wife and I to try out. Both of which are all talalay, both have two 6" cores with a 2" comfort layer.

1. Medium - Core ILD = 32
    Support ILD = 19

2. Firm - Core ILD = 40
    Support ILD = 28

The Firm version was too firm, the Medium version was better for us, but only by default because of the lack of options. With a total of 8" of all talalay, at $3200 for a King, it wasn’t the right fit for us, considering the other options available, particularly online.

So my questions are…

1. How different would the two mattresses have felt if you swapped the two comfort layers?

2. Looking at the different online retailers, what is the difference between a package consisting of a 6" core and 3" comfort layer vs. two 3" layers of core topped with a 3" layer of comfort?

3. I ask these specific questions because I’m trying to decide between SleepEz 10000, 10" Essence Natural from Brooklyn Bedding and the Adjustable Ultra Plush from Mattress.net. I am not sure what the firmnesses mean from one to another.

4. Why are the mattresses cheaper at Mattress.net?

Thanks, so much for your help!!

Hi dchuck,

This is one of those subjective questions that nobody can really answer for someone else. It would depend on the person and their body type, sleeping positions, and individual perceptions and sensitivities. With a softer 2" comfort layer over a firmer core some people would sink in more deeply or feel more of the firmness of the base layer with 2" of softer latex and may call the mattress firmer because they were more sensitive to the deeper layers. Others may sink in less or would be more sensitive to the top layer and would call it softer. It would certainly have a different “feel” with softer over firmer and a bigger differential between the two layers.

Assuming the latex and the covers are both the same or close equivalents … then the main difference (assuming you have access to all three 3" layers) is you would have more flexibility to customize the mattress in terms of PPP either before or after a purchase by re-arranging or exchanging three layers. Whether this was an important issue would depend on whether one was a significantly better “match” than the other for a particular person. If the two 3" layers in the base were not accessible then assuming that the two core layers could be chosen independently in different firmness levels then they would allow for more ability to customize the mattress before a purchase. For example with the same comfort layer … 3" of 32 over 3" of 36 ILD in the bottom of the mattress would be firmer and could provide more “support” than a single 6" layer of 32 ILD would be softer and could provide more pressure relief than a single 6" layer of 36 ILD.

The two ways to choose a mattress in terms of PPP is either with your own personal testing on a mattress that is the same (or very close) or more detailed conversations with a manufacturer or retailer that can help you choose the option that has the highest chance of success based on your experiences in combination with the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I would also keep in mind that outside of any differences in materials … the Essence allows for an exchange of the comfort layer while the Adjustable Ultra plush allows for the exchange of the support layer so they are each different in what can be customized and in the options they make available.

Just like any two businesses that offer similar (but not the same) products … differences in their raw material or component costs, different production costs, different business costs, different business models and margins, the cost of different options they have available before or after a purchase, different pricing policies, different shipping costs, and any of the other normal differences between any two businesses will all lead to differences in how each business prices its products. Some products may be more or less costly at one business while others may be more or less costly at the other. Since nobody except the business itself has access to this type of information … there is really no way to answer this except theoretically.

Phoenix